[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>fantasy game has clerics >they wear crosses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 45

File: ewww.jpg (5KB, 199x200px) Image search: [Google]
ewww.jpg
5KB, 199x200px
>fantasy game has clerics
>they wear crosses
>>
File: Creepy-Condescending-Wonka.jpg (45KB, 550x545px) Image search: [Google]
Creepy-Condescending-Wonka.jpg
45KB, 550x545px
>>54487243
>>
>>54487243
Why wouldn't they?
>>
File: St. Christopher and some guys.jpg (68KB, 625x465px) Image search: [Google]
St. Christopher and some guys.jpg
68KB, 625x465px
>>54487243
I know. Disgusting.
>>
>>54487306

It's just weird for a fictional non-Christian religion to use such a hard core Christian symbol.

I mean, some sort of similar iconography makes sense, but like a straight up Crucifix is weird.
>>
>>54487306
Because it's fantasy. I mean you can have whatever you want in your world, it's your world. But it's just unimaginative to use real world religious symbols when you can make anything you want.

To me personally it breaks the immersion a little bit seeing a Roman torture device in a world filled with elves and dwarfs and whatnot.

>>54487309
Using Ankhs is just as bad imo
>>
>>54487366
I see
>>
>>54487366
Give me a single example with a straight up Crucifix along with a crucified person and not just some vague cross object.
>>
File: dorf cleric.jpg (698KB, 1046x1671px) Image search: [Google]
dorf cleric.jpg
698KB, 1046x1671px
>when the cleric converts your character
>>
File: hmmmmreallymakesyouthink.png (565KB, 589x514px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmmreallymakesyouthink.png
565KB, 589x514px
>>54487400
Lucky for you there was an example posted on this very board
>>
>>54487243
>Not having a weird alternate version of orthodoxy
Don't you know? Jesus can't hear you, he's too busy fighting all the pagan gods in a cosmic royal rumble. Pray harder!
>>
>>54487455
>no crucified person
Just two sticks at a right angle. Easy to make and recognize symbol for a religious cult. It's almost like your major in gender studies left you with no job prospects and burning passion for a major world religion that deserves it the least among them.
>>
>>54487509
*hate, not passion
>>
>>54487509
>projecting

I have no bone pick with Christians, it's simply a lazy cop-out. If you're gonna make a cross in fantasy, make it like the greek version, and not an obvious roman cross with an elongated bottom.

Or you know, you could spend literally 5 minutes in paint designing a more unique symbol for your religious cult.
>>
>>54487243
Maybe they're fantasy Christians?
>>
A cross without a dude dying on it is an old-as-fuck symbol, the same way that Allah's moon belonged to some goddess before he showed up.
Especially weird because I would expect the 'too cool for school' attitudes of /tg/ to eschew the typical kitchen-sink 'toothless paganism' generic fantasy pantheon that usually shows up in a DnD game.
Seriously, people, if crosses and ankhs are somehow bad, what holy symbol do you prefer? Throwing anus?
>>
>>54487578
>Or you know, you could spend literally 5 minutes in paint designing a more unique symbol for your religious cult.
And lose all of the valuable connotation players have with the cross already as a religious symbol, just for the sake of being "unique" and nothing else?
>>
>>54487578
>I have no bone pick with Christians, it's simply a lazy cop-out.
It also a way for players to easily recognize who is who by hinting at common stereotypes of our own world. This is why generic not!Europe settings fare better than creative ones.
>>
>>54487613
Yeah but the cross with an elongated bottom is specifically designed to look like the Roman cross. Most pagan crosses are equal on all sides.

Additionally, even disregarding the symbol itself many "monk" or "cleric" type characters also use christian style clothing and tonsure. Sure, robes and tonsure isn't exclusive to Christianity but using all 3 at once is just an obvious, and boring ripoff.

And what the fuck does toothless paganism mean in a D&D/Fantasy context. Pagans don't exist in fantasy settings because there were no Roman Christians to call them "Pagani" as a blanket term.
>>
>>54487645
>>54487654
t. People with no imagination

Why do you need such obvious connotations? Can you not simply explain "These are the followers of the god Helak, they value self-sacrifice, humility, poverty and kindness to all living beings". Takes literally 5 seconds, and you don't have to steal real world symbols.
>>
>>54487667
>And what the fuck does toothless paganism mean in a D&D/Fantasy context.
Having a world with what is essentially dozens of monotheist religions getting along for no reason instead of actually researching and recreating in fiction historical paganism.
>>
File: 1485581982344.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1485581982344.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
>>54487243
>getting your panties in a bunch over something as trivial as crosses
PUTO CABRON GO PLAY IN RAIN PUDDLES AND LEAVE ME ALONE TERES NO WAY YOU EVEN ¡¡¡HAVE!!! A GROUP
>>
>>54487667
'Toothless paganism', in this context, is referring to the idea of phoning in religion in the world - grab a couple of random 'domains', give them entirely generic personalities (Sun God is stern father, Harvest Goddess is loving mother, Death is randomly evil, etc), and leave out anything about actual multi-deity religions that would be interesting.
>Getting into the weeds over the semantics of the word 'pagan'
Do you avoid referring to bad people as 'villains' in your campaign unless they were specifically commoners? No, then get off my back about specific word use.
Still waiting for an explanation of what wouldn't be boring.
>>
>>54487702
>t. People with no imagination
Projecting much? Just because someone explain lowest common denominator to you doesn't mean they believe everything should be dumbed down.
>>
>>54487243
>OP is a fag
>his posts are full of shit
>>
>>54487740
I mean it's a complex topic to cover. Most """pagans""" are linked to Indo-European religion and did not typically use religion as a reason to attack or invade another. They attacked and invaded each other over power and resources.

It's only when said religions begin to combine gods, or declare supremacy over others (such as the Israelite with their patron god Yahweh) that actual religious fighting/persecution occurs.
>>
>not just using an Ankh
>>
File: triskele.jpg (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
triskele.jpg
19KB, 400x400px
I use a triskele, I think it looks neat.
>>
File: 1463954493445.gif (309KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1463954493445.gif
309KB, 480x360px
>>54487702
>design religious symbol that represents an order that bases itself around martyrdom, kindness, stoicism
>its a triangle

MS paint is the true medium for artistic endeavor
>>
>>54487788
>They attacked and invaded each other over power and resources.
Same point can be made about Christianity and Islam, with religion only serving to give moral justification for such shitty behavior.
>It's only when said religions begin to combine gods, or declare supremacy over others (such as the Israelite with their patron god Yahweh) that actual religious fighting/persecution occurs.
What is Titanomachia and other myths of wars between old and new gods are believed to represent by some scholars?
>>
File: Heresy is forbidden.png (200KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
Heresy is forbidden.png
200KB, 500x365px
>>54487584
So Anima?
>>
>>54487863
Well if those myths do represent a historical change in deities, that would fall under "declaring supremacy", thus the religious fighting.

>>54487856
Once again, just because you have no imagination or knowledge of geometry is not my problem.

I have a feeling that all the butthurt in this thread is the result of ""Christian""" LARPers who are upset they can't DOOS VULT XDDDDD in fantasy worlds
>>
>>54487702
>People with no imagination
Bad DMs ignore the value of easily transferrable information to the laymen (their players).
Acting snooty doesn't ignore the fact that you're going out of the way to achieve the end result of your players having less invested interest.
If you want them to memorize and learn completely unique details about your setting, pick more important stuff to push on them than the shape of the common Catholic-expy religious group's primary symbol.
>>
>they wear some kind of obvious not-cross like with the top cut off, or on its side, or with a few extra spokes
Worse IMO
>>
>54487990
You know, I never got that example of what *wouldn't* be boring, so I I'll just have to declare this amusing burst of adolescence to be bait and saunter my way out of here.
It was an amusing half hour, at least.
>>
File: Iomedae_holy_symbol.jpg (96KB, 562x975px) Image search: [Google]
Iomedae_holy_symbol.jpg
96KB, 562x975px
The styled sword of Our Lady of Protection, whose blade acts as the shield behind which she protects the weak isnt to be mocked.
>>
>>54488045
What do you have against the orthodox cross?
>>
File: 1496086243663.jpg (539KB, 1280x1792px) Image search: [Google]
1496086243663.jpg
539KB, 1280x1792px
So, can we at least post potentially religious symbols so this thread isn't a total waste of time?
>>
File: 1495526926948.jpg (281KB, 1000x768px) Image search: [Google]
1495526926948.jpg
281KB, 1000x768px
>>54488197
I'll see what I've got.
>>
File: 1496036524029.png (203KB, 1291x2228px) Image search: [Google]
1496036524029.png
203KB, 1291x2228px
>>54488246
>>
File: Novgorodian Cross.png (1MB, 692x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Novgorodian Cross.png
1MB, 692x1000px
>>54488185
What about Novgorodian crosses?
>>
File: 1495753075619.jpg (583KB, 1067x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1495753075619.jpg
583KB, 1067x1280px
>>54488266
>>
>>54487243

>There's two holy factions who use a cross for a symbol
>they fight constantly over whether it's an X or an +
>>
>>54487654
Using the basic Roman Catholic cross for your fantasy religion is like using the Stars and Stripes for your fantasy country of Good and Justice. It implies you don't want to play fantasy and just want to have a medieval historical game, and should be forthright about it.
OP is right, a FANTASY game doesn't benefit from using common stereotypes from our world. Not!Europe is not Europe.
>>
File: demon of sorrow.png (2KB, 114x138px) Image search: [Google]
demon of sorrow.png
2KB, 114x138px
>>54488266

wait a fuckng second, is that...
>>
>>54488454
is Fuckley the Antichrist?
>>
>>54488405
Complete originality is damn near impossible, and a certain amount of corner cutting is going to be expected or you will end up with something so difficult to relate to that it's impossible to project yourself into.
>>
>>54487645
>just for the sake of being "unique"
For the sake of making your setting feel less like a theme park attraction.
>>
>>54488405
>Using the basic featherless biped with flat fingernails for your fantasy race is like using the sharp stick for your fantasy tool of murder. It implies you don't want to play fantasy and just want to have a medieval historical game, and should be forthright about it.
>OP is right, a FANTASY game doesn't benefit from using common stereotypes from our world. Not!Europe is not Europe.
>>
>>54488266
It's great cause you can really tell that the one who made it gradually ran out of simple shapes and had to make the symbols more and more convoluted.
>>
>>54488405
>OP is right, a FANTASY game doesn't benefit from using common stereotypes from our world. Not!Europe is not Europe.
it's always the fags with absolutely no knowledge of history or mythology that bring up this retarded argument
>>
File: hertogiisconfused.png (629KB, 588x818px) Image search: [Google]
hertogiisconfused.png
629KB, 588x818px
>>54487990
I bet you're the same kind of guy that gets mad when archers "fire" instead of "loose".

Here's your obligatory (DOOS VULT), but I guess classic character archetypes would piss you off too.
>>
>>54488610
Noone said anything about bloody complete originality. Literally the Roman cross and literally the Stars and Stripes is not corner cutting.
Also nothing is impossible to project yourself into.
>>54488682
You have no knowledge of history or mythology, pleb. You have to have lived in those times to have any knowledge, all you've got is trivia you've snagged up like a bird-brain magpie.
>>
>>54488270
>this cross is great
>I really love this cross
>but you know what would make this cross even greater?
>if we put like sixteen more crosses on it!
>>
>>54487645
I was on your side of the argument until this. This is just advocating lazy, pandering bullshit.

>>54488043
This is nothing more than hollow condescension. Your players are not idiots. I'm sure you'd like to force a false binary onto this argument, where you'll pretend it's a binary choice between a massive infodump vs using crosses, but it's not.

If you want something simple and iconic then all you need is a symbol that's as simple as a cross. A circle, a triangle, a bear claw, a raven, anything like that. It doesn't have to be 18 jewels of different colours arranged in a spiral, each which has its own mythological meaning which you take an hour to explain to a bored gaming table.
>>
>>54488610
Complete originality is difficult, yes, but using the most popular and iconic religious symbol in the world is lazy.

>>54488682
>haha you're ignorant and stupid and your argument is dumb!!!!

What do I need to know from history/mythology to understand the using the cross is boring af. Yes, we all know crosses aren't exclusive to Christianity, but in this era they are synonymous. Additionally, it's always the Roman Cross that I see that gets used, never any other type of cross and that was my complaint.

>>54488660
>using humanoids as described by Plato is the same thing as using the world's most popular religion+it's symbology+it's ethos in your HIGH FANTASY world
>>
>>54488745
>if we put like sixteen more crosses on it!
There are at least 22 crosses on that one not counting those that broke off.
>>
>>54488744
>game shouldn't use any stereotyopes found in our world
>I don't want complete originality

Make up your mind. While you're at it create for me a religion that is both plausible, relatable and yet doesn't actually exist already in our world in one way or another.
>>
>>54487243
Isn't this a picture of the Spiderman: Homecoming character "Michelle Jones," also known as MJ? The gorgeous future girlfriend of Spiderman?
>>
>>54488843
Taking ideas from real world religions in incorporating them into fantasy religions is fine.

Ripping off the ENTIRE religion, aesthetics and all is just lazy. And that goes for NotBuddhist monks as well.
>>
>>54488625
Which is not a point that most players care about. They playing fantasy games for the fantasy faire, not to consume and study an encyclopedia of your homebrewed setting.
>>
>>54488800
But why be especially triggered about the cross specifically? What about wheat? Is it hard to come up with another plant? What about horses? Is it hard to invent a new beast of burden? Why use humans? Why not make everyone genderfluid technicolor furry humanoids?
>>
>>54488748
>I was on your side of the argument until this
I seriously doubt that, considering it was my first post in the thread.
>>
>>54488800
>What do I need to know from history/mythology to understand the using the cross is boring af.
find me a piece of fantasy media devoid of historical/mythological influences. I'll wait
>>
Who gives a shit, either way?
They can wear crosses, they can wear bikinis; as long as I understand it's a holy symbol, I'm OK with it.
>>
>>54487366
It's a representation of the crossroads, which are considered scared to travelers.
>>
File: Zakarum.png (493KB, 610x347px) Image search: [Google]
Zakarum.png
493KB, 610x347px
>>54488843
>Unoriginal
>Is not from the real world
>Cross is not the Roman cross

I'm also going to ignore you moving the goalposts because I'm not fucking retarded like you.
>>
>>54487366
maybe it's just a blunt wooden sword
>>
>>54488270
>yo dog, heard you liked crosses
>>
>fantasy game has clerics
>they wear crosses
>because they are christians
>>
>>54488888
I think most players can digest a religion not ripped straight from the real world. Yeah they don't give a fuck about "The Battle of Yendorisa in the Year 670 in which...blah blah blah" or the entire backstory of your DMPC but coming across a alien religion shouldn't be that difficult unless your players are retarded and have ADHD.

>>54488903
Because the cross represents real world ideals, most of which are specific to real world events and philosophies.

Wheat, horses, etc. are byproducts of human growth and development that if humanity were to reset would probably be rediscovered more times than not. Christianity however I think is unique to specific sequences of events in our history that doesn't really make sense in a fantasy world.
>>
>>54489001
>using fish-related imagery (trident) to replace cross for your non!Christianity
Wow. Really creative.
>>
>>54487243
>fantasy game has warriors
>they wear armour
>>
>>54488917
You weren't the only person in the argument, shithead. Are you really that self-absorbed?
>>
>>54489001
Dude it's a fucking catholic cross with two upward lines added to the arms. In the first two games it was LITERALLY just the catholic cross, only D3 turned it into a Psi symbol.
>The Light exists in everyone, regardless of race, religion, or social status (the most basic tenet of the faith).
>Embrace the Light with total devotion.
>Trust in the glory of the Light, for its authority supersedes all power in the mortal world.
>Resist all things evil.
You're saying that none of these have any basis in the real world?
>>
>>54488699

It should be "twang" not "loose", loose sounds crap.

>>54489034
>space marines
>believing in a fake dietry
>>
>>54487243
>fantasy game has peasants
>they wear sacks
>>
>>54489001
>Looks like a cathedral
>Candles and podium is very reminiscent of a church.
>Knight in tabard kneeling to it
>Obviously linkage of religion and warrior caste

So apparently so long as you don't use a cross then everything else that makes it look like Christianity is fine.
>>
>>54489064
You were directly addressing me faggot.
>>
>>54489086
>Obviously linkage of religion and warrior caste
how the fuck many societies are there where those two weren't linked?
>>
File: cleric.jpg (62KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
cleric.jpg
62KB, 640x960px
>>54488923
Being influenced by history/mythology is one thing, but when this nigga looks like he got teleported straight from the Crusades and given a fantasy weapon it just looks goofy.
>>
>>54489041
>Christianity however I think is unique to specific sequences of events in our history that doesn't really make sense in a fantasy world.
Moving goalpost again? Why two sticks at a right angle are so special?
>>
>>54488903
Why not have your evil fantasy country be called North Korea? Why not have the barkeep give you a cold Budweiser? Why not have the local sage be called Bill Nye? Why not have a group of human separatists and call them the Black Panthers? Why not have a wizard called Gandalf?
>>
>>54489109
Not even other denominations of Christianity had monastic knight orders. Try harder with your goalpost moving.
>>
>>54489068
I'm saying that you're moving the goalpost to basis in the real world and being completely different from the Roman cross, when the original argument was for the EXACT SAME cross with no alteration and being of a religion that EXISTS in the real world.
Learn when you are beaten and stop posting.
>>
>>54489086
Yes? Did you read the OP?
>>
>>54489159
What if not!Christian Roman cross is actually not!Sword of Gabriel pointing at sinners/devils below?
>>
>>54489114
It would be one thing if the religion used crosses as its symbol and that was it. But they never stop there do they? They always mimic real world Catholic holy orders, and some even look like monks, tonsure and all.

It's less just the cross itself, and more that the the cross is used in combination with other NotChristian things. So it becomes quite apparent that said person wanted NotChristianity in their setting, which I find to be lazy.
>>
>>54489041
The connotation and religious significance probably wouldn't be the same, yes, but it's an incredibly simple symbol it would appear again.
>>
>>54489196
What if your mother never truly loved you?
>>
>>54489113
>character is a holy warrior
>deck him in regalia with symbols universally recognized as holy
the guy in your pic has a fucking red cross, not even the christian variety. What is the appropriate level of abstraction from a real-world symbol that satisfies your autism?
>>
>>54489149
>the equestrian class wasn't linked to religion
>the kshatriya weren't linked to religion
>the jaguar warriors weren't linked to religion
>the egyptian soldiery weren't linked to religion
nigga you got it backwards, the linkage of a warrior caste with religion is no more unique to Christianity than the belief in disembodied spirits.
>>
>>54489267
>the equestrian class wasn't linked to religion
>the kshatriya weren't linked to religion
>the jaguar warriors weren't linked to religion
>the egyptian soldiery weren't linked to religion
>if I ignore whatever is being said to me I win the argument
>also let me pretend that in times when religion played major role in society all classes weren't linked to religion in one way or another
And which of those were monastic orders?
>>
>>54489329
Move goalposts harder, we never said anything about monasticism until you brought it up to try not to look like a faggot.
>>
>>54489329
It actually doesn't matter, because >54489109 didn't include the words monastic, knight or order.
>>
>>54489359
>>54489362
>paladins
>not not!Monastic Knight Order
Nice attempt at bailing.
>>
>>54489401
Thanks for conceding the argument
>>
>>54488957
That's a plus sign...
>>
>>54489412
>I can't trace back more than a single post because it will prove me wrong
>>
>>54487385
Anks aren't from a major modern day religion so it's different. I mean people use ancient celtic/norse/egyptian stuff for easy flavour all the time
>>
>>54489436
I know you can't, that's why you don't seem to be able to remember we said nothing about monasticism until you brought it up.
>>
>>54489222
Witty AND original!
>>
>goalposts
>goalposts
>goalposts
>goalposts
OP should make a religion based around goalposts, that would be unique.
>>
>>54489401
1. No paladins here.
2. not!Monastic Knight Order is not a Monastic Knight Order.
3. It doesn't matter because linkage of warrior caste with religion is not unique to Christianity and doesn't require nor in this case involve monasticism.
>>
>>54489543
You literally posted a picture of paladin from Diablo III.
>>
>>54489626
I posted a crusader.
Give up?
>>
File: 1393375653346.jpg (102KB, 300x269px) Image search: [Google]
1393375653346.jpg
102KB, 300x269px
>>54489626
>you
You'd be more at home on reddit mate, at least there they've got usernames so you can tell posters apart
>>
>>54489653
>>54489659
>Paladins/Crusaders of Zakarum aren't monstic
This is getting ridiculous.
>>
>>54489659
>I know, I send anon to reddit. That will show him!
You might need a new chair.
>>54489653
>Crusader
>no cross
Your denial knows no bounds, doesn't it?
>>
>>54489707
What's a monstic? Also crusaders aren't monastic, you're thinking of monks. They take oaths to go on quests, like knight errants, but don't cloister themselves from society. In fact, paladins don't do so either since Fara turned to blacksmithing in Lut Gholein at some point and many paladins simply joined the Knights of Westmarch when they reached that far away from Kurast.
>>
>>54489414
The longest piece represents the journey ahead.
>>
>>54489716
They have a cross. But it is not the Roman cross. Therefore, they're fine. Their crusade carries the cross of Zakarum, which is a completely different story that has nothing to do with Christ.
>>
>>54489802
I like it that's cool. it'd be inverted tho right?
>>
>>54487654
>generic not!Europe settings fare better than creative ones

what about creative not!Europe settings?
>>
>>54489083
>fake dietry
I don't think Space Marines adhere to a very strict diet at all.
>>
>>54489812
Okay, and my !notChristians carry the cross of Gazorpazorp, which also has nothing to do with Christ
>>
>>54487400
The humans in the Orcs series are straight up Puritans except cartoonishly evil, so I guess there's that.

Granted the Orcs series is trash, so I guess it's not a great example.
>>
>>54490034
What does it look like, friend?
>>
>>54488953
>bikini as a holy symbol

Let's stop arguing and figure out how to make this work, i think we might be onto something here
>>
>>54488888
>They playing fantasy games for the fantasy faire
My players don't. And I haven't yet met a player that does.
>>
>>54488888
>5
>8
Sourcery witnessed.
>>
>>54487309
Filename gold
>>
File: laughing mongrels.jpg (30KB, 255x256px) Image search: [Google]
laughing mongrels.jpg
30KB, 255x256px
>>54487309
>St. Christopher
>>
>>54490061
Roman cross, bottom length longer than the others, symbolizes having a big dick or something
>>
File: McGlynn.png (380KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
McGlynn.png
380KB, 512x384px
>>54490366
>Roman cross etc
Make your peace. Quickly.
>>
>>54489838
Nah, because if you're wearing it as a necklace and you look down at it it'd be stretching out in front of you.
>>
>>54490644
>>54489838
Either way, the crossroaders don't consider it to be a bad omen when their holy symbol is inverted. It can be a plus sign, or any of the lines can be longer than the others. It doesn't even have to be symmetrical. Just has to have two lines crossing.

Technically any symbol that could possibly be a crossroads works, including ones with more than four paths. But the cross is the most common for reasons nobody really feels the need to question.
>>
File: Christianity.png (151KB, 550x720px) Image search: [Google]
Christianity.png
151KB, 550x720px
>>54487366
Relatedly, I remember there being concept art from A Link to the Past with Link praying in front of a crucifix.

I'm lowkey curious if Jesus fits into Hyrule theology somewhere.
>>
>>54487455

That wizard has a white beard and a pointy hat. That's your example of laziness? Congratulations, you're right this one time!
>>
>>54490854
Don't worry, it's okay when Nintendo does it.
>>
>>54490886
No wizards IRL, just you guys.
>>
>>54488266
Is this from anything specifically?
>>
>>54487578
>one stick is longer than other stick
>WHAT A FUCKING LAZY COP OUT
that's how stupid you look.
>>
>>54487578
Go smash your own teeth out on a table corner. You've been rekt you loathsome Jew. Viva Christo Rey.
>>
>>54491041
The Ars Goetia, I believe.
>>
>>54487851
Nice try Hastur.
>>
>>54487243
The cross was a symbol before Christians co-opted it.
>>
>>54488454
SON OF A BITCH

I just lost The Game
>>
File: Lusitanians.jpg (21KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Lusitanians.jpg
21KB, 480x270px
>>54487243

Yaldabaoth is the one true god. Get fucked.
>>
>Clerics wear crosses
>Diagonal crosses
>Three of them
>>
>>54487385
A lot of settings straight up have Egyptian pantheons.
>>
File: kitten.jpg (61KB, 437x318px) Image search: [Google]
kitten.jpg
61KB, 437x318px
>>54488885
>Ripping off the ENTIRE religion
Question

Do any of these fantasy Catholicism ripoffs actually worship the Catholic god? Because I certainly don't recall any similarities beyond aesthetics.
>>
>>54489965

Don't they eat their own piss gloop? Or is that specifically why Vivian is deuce vaulting with them?
>>
given that the original legend of zelda had a cross on his shield and a bible, and people loved that, i think its a minor concern at best
>>
In the last campaign I played, the universal Holy Symbol was an anchor, as their Daughter of God was tied to an anchor and left on a beach at low tide. Same sort of idea as a cross, different execution. For my present setting, there is a panoply of religious symbolism, none of which is, as of yet, a cross, much less a Roman cross. The closest is an X with lines coming from each side for the God of Strength =X=, only with the lines attached to the X
>>
>>54487243
how dare my cleric put a stylized compass rose on his shield to worship the big 3 greek gods, poisedon and zeus since compasses help navigate, and hades for providing the magnetic material
>>
>>54488266
Please delete this
>>
>>54491169
How about you bother reading the thread. It was stated multiple times that the cross has been used as a symbol by various cultures throughout history, but the Roman cross has not. And that is typically the cross found in NotChristian religions in hack fantasy settings.

>>54491370
See this an example of someone who bothered to have a little creativity. It's not too outlandish or unbelievable, grounded in symbology that people will recognize or be familiar with, but not a blatant use of the aesthetics of the worlds most popular religion.
>>
File: A-Okay.jpg (24KB, 203x300px) Image search: [Google]
A-Okay.jpg
24KB, 203x300px
>>54491144
Appreciate it, Anon. Always looking for real-world references to demon summoning and runes.
>>
>>54491494
japanese totally love just stealing the symbol of the cross wholesale from christianity, and no one there thinks its weird or lazy, just another holy symbol to use in your setting

so whether its bad or a cop-out depends on the person
>>
>>54491272
> clerics all crossdress
>>
File: original.jpg (75KB, 415x401px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
75KB, 415x401px
>>54491549
>>
File: 1496875666940.png (774KB, 1840x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1496875666940.png
774KB, 1840x1300px
>>54491222
AAAAAAHHHH I HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE GAME FOR HALF A YEAR.
>>
>>54488454
i dont get it?
>>
File: 1491321624020.jpg (44KB, 542x675px) Image search: [Google]
1491321624020.jpg
44KB, 542x675px
>>54490504
You can't meme me with anime, son
>>
>>54491954
It could be said you are at a LOSS
>>
>>54491246
>when an anime video game makes people google its boss names to find the history on them and then pretend they always knew about it

I give you an A for game taste, though
>>
>>54491638
>faggots still "play" this shit

You dumb fucking niggers the game ended like half a decade ago
>>
>>54492246
i get that part
i read the comic
i dont get how the image relates, it barely looks like the line images people would post and im only reminded of it because someone else brought it up
is that it though, the joke, that the lines can be arranged to make that comic/meme out?
it's the farthest stretch for a joke ive ever seen
>>
File: OGyCCFu.png (326KB, 1280x1287px) Image search: [Google]
OGyCCFu.png
326KB, 1280x1287px
>>54492331
Loss is so simple that it is easy to see it in places where it isn't. Like some sort of pareidolia
>>
>>54492409
aah, reminds me of that baader-minhoff thing
i guess it makes sense
but in this case it's fucking outlandishly retarded and, as i said previously, the farthest stretch for a joke ive ever seen
>>
File: vYG6SeE.png (5KB, 598x745px) Image search: [Google]
vYG6SeE.png
5KB, 598x745px
>>54492454
Personally, this is my favorite Loss pic
>>
File: necessity.png (87KB, 1163x378px) Image search: [Google]
necessity.png
87KB, 1163x378px
>>54492331
Not one of the above anons, but it reminded me of the simplifications I've seen of the final panel.
Worthy of a mild "heh", not an "omg", in my opinion.

>>54488266
Personally, my favorite is this last bit in pic related
>>
>>54487867
Avel did nothing wrong.
Gas the elves, banish the demons back into the wake.
>>
>>54488957
>scared to travelers.

"Alright lad, hold on. We need to slow it down. Crossroads around these parts spook easy, and the last thing we want is it running away on us. Here, you take the signpost. I'll rope it down, you stick it. Ready?"
>>
File: 1496700139054.jpg (39KB, 560x320px) Image search: [Google]
1496700139054.jpg
39KB, 560x320px
>decide to play a cleric in a friend's game
>decide it would be fun if I played him as a kind of preachy missionary type and occasionally make sort of tongue-in-cheek efforts to convert the rest of the party
>super worried they'll think it's annoying
>tfw my incessant moral-fagging has actually begun to win people over
>tfw everyone loves it and have started coming to my character when they have personal crisis
>tfw one other party member has begun expressing serious, unironic interest in converting
>tfw I'm basically playing Father Mulcahy at this point
It's an unexpectedly good feel.
>>
>>54492291
No anon, you are never not playing the game. You will never be free of it.
>>
>>54487366
They're two fucking lines. It's a simple fucking symbol.
>>
>>54492476
>Kali Yuga is just one of the four basic summoning sigils but rotated a bit
Hmm.
>>
>>54490854
>I'm lowkey curious if Jesus fits into Hyrule theology somewhere.
One of the incarnations of the Hero, during a time when Ganon did not cause havoc and Zelda was the mother of the Messiah.

He preached a message of peace, kinship, tolerance and proper reverence of the Goddess Hylia, to which the Hylian people owe their livelihood to. The Triforce and the three Goddesses are to still be honored and worshiped, but the Hylian people have lost their way in respecting their namesake.

At least that's how it happens in the Downfall timeline.
>>
>>54495648
Your memes are dead in the ground, they haven't been fun internet culture since 2008
>>
File: 1412392718152.png (155KB, 258x263px) Image search: [Google]
1412392718152.png
155KB, 258x263px
>>54487243
Crosses predate christianity by... like... a lot. Granted, I assume that many people have already outlined this in great detail... or at least I hope they have.
>>
>>54487243
member when the Romans hung people up on them as punishment, before they were a Christian symbol, you might have heard about a guy called Jesus being put up on one.
>>
>>54496003
The Sermon on the Mount is a lot less compelling when delivered by a mute.
>>
File: Inquisitor Marchosias.jpg (183KB, 993x804px) Image search: [Google]
Inquisitor Marchosias.jpg
183KB, 993x804px
>>54494113
>Use axe once possessed by the greatest demon to kill other demons
>slaughtering's done, time to bust the axe
>Axe knew what was coming and fucking bailed the second my attention was off it.
A day in the life of Inquisitor "DOOMGuy" Marchosias.
>>
>>54492274

Theres a game? I knew there were books, but I just watched the show.
>>
>>54497875
Yaldabaoth is the name of the final boss in Persona 5
>>
>>54497917

Oh. Okay.

Its also the name of the god that the not-crusader country of Lusitania worships in The Heroic Legend of Arslan.

The first 2 episodes are kind of slow, but its a good show. Weirdly, the show is better in dub than sub, the MCs japanese voice is too passive.

Watch the show for Daryun, the man who occasionally forgets this is a realistic campain and does shit like jumping over a horse to spear its rider.
>>
>>54487578
Nine times out of ten, every tabletop cleric is going to be based on the traditional Christian cleric, which the word "cleric" was derrived from.

To put this retardation into perspective, you could just as easily say,
> "Why the fuck do wizards wear robes? They should be wearing fancy tunics!"
>"Why do druids always turn into animals!?"
"Why are paladins always based on Christians!?"
>>
Cross symbols were fairly common among early cultures as a symbol of crossroads or cardinal directions.

It's also dead easy to make and recognizable as human artifice and symbolism, which certainly would make it common.

I'd point out that it would probably be most likely for cultures using a cross symbol to make it equivalently lengthed on each spoke (as the Christian cross derives from a large torture/spectacle driven into the ground) but then of course I recall that somehow the fucking ankh was a related symbol for thousands of years before that so wtf.

The pool grows MUCH deeper if you start considering certain spectra of knots and swastikas as variations of of crosses.
>>
I remember this old fantasy heartbreaker which featured magic runes as a major form of magic, and the protection rune was just a cross
So people using crosses to ward off vampires and shit was just low-level rune magic, which I think was a good way to do it
>>
>>54497309
HIYA!
>>
>>54492476
You guys let me know if the summoning works. Asking for a friend, don't let my church know.
>>
>>54487243
Does Christianity not exist in your setting? It sure does in mine.
>>
>>54487409
They become Imperial Japanese?
>>
File: Ferns or Die.png (11KB, 740x173px) Image search: [Google]
Ferns or Die.png
11KB, 740x173px
daily reminder that if your fantasy world includes modern flora/fauna you're a hack fraud who has no imagination
>>
>>54487851
So you have a god of fidget spinners?
>>
>>54487243
>Applying any rules to the creation of a fantasy universe.
>>
I'm doing some early concepting and world-building for a game of Don't Rest Your Head, and one of the concepts I came up with was a Church that literally worships and fetishizes guns and gun culture. What would be a good holy symbol for this group? Their Boss Nightmare is going to be named somethibg like "Padre Matchlock."
>>
>>54498523
Nurgle because it's another form of cancer.
>>
>>54498669
a moist Nugget
>>
>>54498493
i thought fauna was animals and flora was plants.
>>
Try finding a symbol that is original and doesn't look like ass.
>>
>>54498875
grats youre smarter than the 3rd grader in the screencap
>>
In the setting I'm working on at the moment, the not-Christianity religion's symbol is a candle, because it's a guiding light and in world religions are all about guiding souls to the afterlife. Clerics of this religion cast miracles using prayer candles, candleabras, etc.
>>
>edgy teenager atheist that hates Christianity, but all other religions are ok, the thread
>>
>>54500148
Candelabras are very original as a religious symbol
>>
>>54500195
nothing wrong with hating the most retarded religion of all times

there is a reason why islamophobia is a thing, and it isn't because of Islam's religious values, quite the opposite actually, its the Christians fault
>>
File: stussy[1].jpg (12KB, 615x589px) Image search: [Google]
stussy[1].jpg
12KB, 615x589px
>>54487243
cruciforms have a long history in iconography that predates christianity.
This is actually true of most religious and political symbols. crescent moon iconography predates islam, that Obama symbol didn't invent semicicles to simulate a sunrise, nazis didn't invent the swastika. the hexigram was not actually invented by King David.

although all of those are merely fractional reinterpretations and iterations of components of the icon that, as itself is the true name of god.
>>
>>54500908
>People think it's an S.
>People just read it sideways.
>It's actually an infinity, or Mobius strip.
>>
>>54500148
mah goi

I prefer a pyramid shape. Triangle with some details is easy to draw on tabards, and the shape can mean different things. Either allegiance to a pantheon of 3 deities, or three truths, or anything else you might want to substitute.
>>
>>54501001
Put an eye in the pyramid. Make the religion be about light and hierarchies. Watch people accuse you of being in the Illuminati. Deny any involvement. Claim that light and hierarchical order are super generic themes in any region. Watch them squirm because they know you are right. Realize you really ARE in the Illuminati. Enjoy global domination.
>>
>>54501054
>implying I'm not in the Illuminati

The wider base of the pyramid symbolizes the foundation of our society. Without serfs to produce food, and without fighting men to defend the serfs, we are nothing. The elevated top are the enlightened leaders, the priesthood. Without them the society can't exist, just like a beast without head. Know your place for we are all in this together.
>>
>>54501103
Yes, and the same pattern is replicated in heaven by God, Angels, and Mortals.

The real fun is when you realize that if you invert the pyramid, it becomes a symbolic representation of a vagina, and you get god's lover, the goddess of chaos and corruption, who he impregnated with divine order to create the world.

The priesthood doesn't like to talk about her, because she threatens the social order, and must be kept under control. But they also have to reluctantly recognize the debit that all creation owes to her, and thus the power of all things feminine, foreign, and corrupting. And thus the power those things hold over mortal men.
>>
File: Saving this for a friend.png (12KB, 171x269px) Image search: [Google]
Saving this for a friend.png
12KB, 171x269px
>>54488266
>sweating.tiff
Thread posts: 205
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.