[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are assassins character and, in general, everything related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

File: 442.jpg (6KB, 310x162px) Image search: [Google]
442.jpg
6KB, 310x162px
Why are assassins character and, in general, everything related to professional assassins (organization of assassins, etc...), so appealing in RPG or even in fictions in general ?
>>
>>54478047
Because it's cool
>>
File: 1486626449810.jpg (47KB, 265x275px) Image search: [Google]
1486626449810.jpg
47KB, 265x275px
99% of an adventurer's problems can be solved by killing someone.
>>
>>54478104
The remaining 1% can only be solved by killing everyone.
>>
>>54478047
They're typically characterized as highly skilled lone wolves with access to a secret enclave that provides rare goods and services to further their primary business of murdering things.
>>
>>54478047
Because killing someone and doing so in a way that is clever and smart is both a physical power trip and an intellectual one. You've outsmarted the target, they will never see you coming, and then bam, you get the kill and get away with it too.
>>
>>54478047
because there are so many ways to play them.

for example, this...
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/22021634/
...is too subtle for many, but satisfying if you play it true to form.
>>
>>54478047
They have clear structure and goals which makes it easy to frame a story about them. They also tend to work alone or in small groups which allows you to focus on a small number of characters. Lastly they tend to operate as part of a secret underground which operates on deception which gives the audience the chance to try and understand it and then feel good when they figure something out about the situation before a character does.

Basically as a premise it has in-built motivation, stakes, conflict, and intrigue.
>>
>>54478047

>>
>>54478047
Because in fiction they're always shown as the suave cool types who are experts in all forms of close combat and with all weapons and always get their marks. Even when things go wrong, which they rarely do, they are just good enough to get out of trouble and finish the job anyway.

Literally "pshh, nothin personal kid" the character concept.
>>
>>54478351
Not assassin per se. He has "license to kill", but in his line of work enemy taken captive is worth more than enemy eliminated.
>>
An assassin represents freedom. He goes where he wants, when he wants.
>>
>>54478887
yet most "professional assassins" have a code, law or religion that makes them who they are and reduces their freedom.
>>
File: giphy.gif (741KB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
741KB, 400x224px
>>54479046
you forgot a sense of professionalism
>>
>>54478047
Its got a bunch of power fantasy angles, chances are at least one of them will be appealing. Being better at violence than everyone else, being structurally sanctioned and supported by capital while getting to do what you want, being free from reprisal, having a secret club that makes you feel more sophisticated than the other criminals and barbarians, etc.. You get to be a badboy outside the rules and still have all the nice things that come with rules.

Its pretty much for smug cunts who want think they're special. Lots of those.
>>
>>54478047
Because in the context of RPGs, assassins are generally doing cool and mostly justified stuff like killing political figures, military leaders, etc. You don't really see the 90% of actual assassin work that usually involves getting paid to kill innocent normies.

It's easy to root for the guy lining up a shot to snipe wizard-Hitler from a rooftop. It's harder to root for him when the mob is paying him to kill the neighborhood deli owner for not paying them protection money.
>>
>>54478047
You're basically the better sort of Murderhobo.
>>
>>54478047
Single target DPS
>>
>>54479887
Technically that's more accurate. "Assassins" target political figures, if you kill normal people you're a "hitman" (or a serial killer).
>>
I don't like 'em. I prefer the "pragmatist survivor" archetype over anything else.
>>
>>54478047
I don't know what to tell you OP, they aren't appealing at all. You can tell a person has shit taste if they enjoy that sort of thing
>>
>>54478047
it's a story about a consummate professional who could die if they're discovered doing their job but whose impact can save or destroy entire nations.

its a thrill-seeker's staple character design.
>>
>>54478169
I'm losing my shit reading about Oinkbane. I'm stealing the hell out of him.
>>
>>54482888
DOO EET FAGGOT
>>
>>54478047
Because they fully represent an aspect of humanity that a lot of people often think about but never really engage with. It's appealing to try it out in a controlled and safe environment, like a game.
>>
>>54478047
because you can play an asshole but still be an honourable asshole and a good guy.
>>
>>54478047
Edgelords like power fantasies.
>>
>>54478169
>>54482888
You guys are reddit-tier fags.
>>
The romantic notions of nietzcheism has led us to fetishize people who control the balance of life and death.

We see in murderers a nihilistic form of the ubermenschean ideal.
>>
File: Bronn-Profile-HD.png (94KB, 200x280px) Image search: [Google]
Bronn-Profile-HD.png
94KB, 200x280px
>>54478047
>assassins
>not sellswords
>in the year of our lord
>>
File: wigger.jpg (52KB, 800x604px) Image search: [Google]
wigger.jpg
52KB, 800x604px
>>54478047
muh edge
>>
Because they are almost universally viewed as solo badasses.
>>
>>54485457
...you must be allergic to fun...
>>
File: leon-the-professional-jean-reno.jpg (149KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
leon-the-professional-jean-reno.jpg
149KB, 1920x1080px
>>54479084
Professionals are best.
>>
File: reaction_drinkcoffee.jpg (16KB, 267x274px) Image search: [Google]
reaction_drinkcoffee.jpg
16KB, 267x274px
>>54478047

1. For the same reason secret agents, spies, and special forces are appealing. They move above and outside normal society, carrying out special tasks that only they could complete. "Elite" is a glamorous word.

2. They are dangerous in a hidden fashion, and expected to be subtle and sophisticated. You can imagine an assassin sipping expensive whisky in a dimly lit hotel bar. The boisterous fighter doesn't fit in there quite so well.

3. An assassin can kill a lot of people without it seeming brutish or random, which appeals to edgelords in denial, just like zombie apocalypses do.

4. The idea of being able to take a life, especially a valuable and well-guarded one, and get away with it is a high octane power fantasy.

Because of these facts, and the oversaturation of edgy, badass pro killers in fiction, it has become difficult to use these characters in a satisfying manner. It can be done, though. I have personally GM'd two assassin-themed campaigns, and I had to sit down with the players ahead of both because they were all, without exception, making Coldsteel the Hedgehog with backstories of varying degrees of trauma.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.