[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"my character's a wizard, with the secret identity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 32

File: blech.jpg (19KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
blech.jpg
19KB, 576x432px
>"my character's a wizard, with the secret identity of a stage magician, but uses real magic in his act!"

ITT dumb overused character ideas that people still think are unique
>>
>a monk, but he's a luchador, and his martial arts are pro wrestling

As fun as it is it's become cliche.
>>
>>54457217
>my character is a stage magician, with a secret identity of a wizard, who uses his high bluff and cunning to fake real magic!
>>
>>54457239
What about a Luchador who became a monk - like full on Franciscan in the brown robes- and took on a vow of pacifism after an ill advised and errant double backflip suplex took the life of an innocent bystander, causing him to leave super luchadoring in shame but they still wear the mask to remind them every day of their mistakes

And he tries to live a life of quiet contrition and contemplation of God but the need to oppose the forces of evil keep pulling him back in?
>>
File: Assbaby.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Assbaby.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
>>54457217
>My character is a deformed mutant retard baby who sprang forth from his mother's anus.
>>
>>54457357
Works at a surface level given the popularity of Catholicism in Mexico.

Cleric-like holy monk builds are usually fucked up and badly designed tho
>>
>I'm a dark elf who is out to prove that not all dark elves are evil, also I'm a ranger and I dual wield scimitars.
>>
>my character is actually two pixies in disguise
It can be interesting if done well but almost nobody can pull it off convincingly
>>
>>54457357
We nacho libre now
>>
>>54457386
>I'm a dark elf who is out to prove that not all dark elves are good-aligned rangers who dual wield scimitars
>>
In my group it is "my character is magic but he thinks his magic is just his families inexplicably good luck" or "my character is an idiot and when they do something right it is on accident (ie critting an enemy is them losing grip of their sword and having it fly into the monsters eye)"

These two tropes were funny like for the 1st and 2nd time around as comic relief characters but it got really annoying really fast when 2 players would only use these.
>>
>>54457217
>>54457325
It would be interesting if someone played a wizard who became so powerful that he was virtually immortal (never ages because super healing magic he pisses out every morning, but can be killed if injuries are severe enough) and so thoroughly unopposed that he became bored out of his wits. So he gave up practicing magic to live a normal life. Only it went a full 360 degrees and now he is a stage magician who only ever uses sleight of hand. He thinks it's "cheating" to use real magic.
>>
>>54457217
I have actually never seen this ever
>>
>I'm a fist wizard
>>
Basically anything ever done with a warforged
>>
>shy, naive runaway princess who becomes tenacious and brave when it's mechanically convenient
>necromancer who uses his powers for good and makes bone puns
>angry, moody elf who wants bloody revenge for something
>>
>Not!Gimli drunken dwarf fighter
>>
>>54457217
John Titor. Larping as the head honcho of the united states.
>>
>>54458071
Nobody ever thought that was unique
>>
>>54457217
>An OP who starts stupid greentext threads to start shit.

Man, I hate this gimmick.
>>
>>54457908
That will never get old, ever.
>>
>>54458243
Has something gotten you rattled? Maybe you just need to marrow out a bit?
>>
>>54458128
You'd be surprised
>>
>>54457217
What if the character is actually a stage magician that pretends to use real magic during his fights?

Actually, that seems like a ridiculously fun character to play
>>
>>54457217
>"My character is a 'stab first, ask questions later' kinda guy"
>>
>I'm a bard, so I have sex with everyone
>I'm a bard, but like a heavy metal one
>I'm a bard, but I'm a giant lizard man. Bet that threw you off
>>
File: 1472270805072.jpg (342KB, 1536x1193px) Image search: [Google]
1472270805072.jpg
342KB, 1536x1193px
>Browse these threads specifically to see if any of my character concepts come up so I can strike them from the list
>>
>>54459074
No one overly concerned with "unique" ideas is worth giving the time of day. Just play what you find fun.
>>
>>54459107
More than anything I'd say if they don't feel like cliche bullshit to you then your group hasn't run them into the ground yet, so why worry about it?
>>
There are a bunch of "cliches" in this thread that exist literally nowhere except /tg/ or are never used in actual games/worlds
>>
>>54459107
I browsed /tg/ for a long time and only got into a group recently, and as such I am hardcoded to be self conscious about all of my ideas and behaviors at all times.
>>
>>54459138
I can guarantee you that 99% of the active P&P playerbase has never heard of OP's cliche nor think it to be one
>>
The only difference between an amazing character and a shitty character is how well it's played. The underlying character concept has little to do with it.
>>
Every single living human in my setting is a magic user. I made a magician npc character who performed tricks then proved he didn't use magic to scrutinizing wizards who were amazed.
>>
>>54458379
Still not unique or clever
>>
>>54459151
I would think more of the base than you think has heard of Zatanna, at the very least.
>>
>machines made out of flesh; biological computers
>dragons that are closer to eldritch horrors than they are to traditional dragons
>using fairy tale monsters as their 'original' horrific form
>a race of people that all look the same except using some sort of thing to differentiate everyone (even though a race of people that all look the same might not have an importance of uniqueness like we do)
>the religious man who always prays before he kills someone
>a version of chess where the only opponent is yourself
>a group of villains based on tarot cards
>eye color determining something like the type of magic you can use
>a character whose only power is super empathy
>god of guns
>mechanized religion magic, prayer wheels and music boxes that hold chants
>non-Newtonian armor used to justify future samurais
>the power to always know exactly where you are
>a place where idioms are literal such as cats actually having nine lives
>american mythology setting
>reverse halo
>a city with a massive open hole or field in the middle that is filled with seemingly nothing
>a nature giant so humongous that he uses a cloud as a scarf
>a reverse blasphemy animal that has multiple bodies but only one hand
>>
>>54459175
>>
>>54458275
Skeletons who have each others backs are vertebros.
>>
>>54457325
don't all magicians do that
>>
>>54459206
Other than her and her father, I honestly can't think of many other mainstream examples

Usually the cliche is that the magician is actually a really good scientist
>>
>>54459219
>the religious man who always prays before he kills someone

Playing as Monsignor Martinez would be fun IMO
>>
Here's a dumb concept I came up with when I was 15 or so
>Paladin type character, holy warrior, etc
>personal tragedy befalls him, death of brother, sister, never really worked out details
>slowly descends into necrotic ways, forgoing his righteousness and salvation from his god to see his dead important person again
>character conflict of the promise of eternal salvation/happiness (a heaven type place is supposed to exist, though no proof beyond texts and prayers) vs the promise of the concrete (necromancy has been shown to bring back the dead as imagined, though imperfect. Legends say such magic does exist, though is lost).
cliche as fuck but young me thought it was cool
>>
>>54459219
I have serious trouble believing most of those are "overused" by anyone, unless you're counting being used once by someone as "overused".
Which I could see.
>>
>>54457325
I did this once for a very short lived DC RPG I was in. She was basically McGuyver cosplaying Zatana, an expert at stage magic, riging shit up on the fly, escape artistry and more all the while pretending she had real magic.
She wanted to meet Zatana and find out how she made hers look even greater, not actually beliving in magic herself.

Shame the DM had to score his dream job and move interstate after only the second session.
>>
>>54459254
Add Mandrake the Magician to your list, man.
>>
>>54459219
maybe five from your list are used somewhat often, at least, compared to others, and even then they are hardly overused.
>>
>>54459219
>reverse halo

Does it darken the area around their head or what? Sounds edgy.
>>
File: itaintme.gif (1MB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
itaintme.gif
1MB, 480x336px
>>54459219
>god of guns
AVE NEX ALEA
>>
>>54457239
Does this only apply for luchadors? Because fuck you, what's the point of grappling if I can't suplex a bitch?
>>
File: PearlJam.jpg (37KB, 428x568px) Image search: [Google]
PearlJam.jpg
37KB, 428x568px
What would you prefer: tarot cards, Egyptian gods, or 80's rock bands?
>>
>>54459219
I'm stealing these ideas, some actually sound pretty cool
>>
>>54457369
You can just say a dwarf, anon.
>>
File: gungod.png (210KB, 1925x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gungod.png
210KB, 1925x1080px
>>54459219
>>
File: 1499672076-474[1].png (92KB, 1024x510px) Image search: [Google]
1499672076-474[1].png
92KB, 1024x510px
>>54457217
>>
File: ZA.jpg (105KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ZA.jpg
105KB, 1280x720px
>>54459219
>>
>>54457217
>Doesn't know that D&D Jester's are a thing
>Has never red the canon Forgotten Realms comics, so he doesn't know about Diarmunds Last Jest, or the older dragon magazine issues which also featured Diarmund's last jest, including Jester battles, performance arts, and the slew of insane class features Jesters get
>Doesn't know in 3.5, Jesters got to perform so hard that Outsiders wanted their audience, earning mad dosh from doing so as a Jester Prestige Class
>Doesn't know about the Jester BASE CLASS in 3.5 in the Dragon compendium to boot
>Doesn't know one can use Spell Somantic components alogside a bluff check to cast spells with enemies unaware, and doesn't know Jester's do this as well as a class abiltiy to do Diarmund's last jest, and other spell-woven performances and jokes

Grats on your shit taste, and lack of WIS-score, go read some fucking tomes. OP is a faggot.
>>
>>54460534
>>
>>54460534
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>54457764
oh god noo
>>54458071
I hate it when players want their characters to drink all the time and dont expect there to be any negative consequences
"What do you mean I cant drink this entire barrel of mead we found I'm a crazy drunken dwarf"
no
>>
>>54458887
people's 'unique' 'quirky' bard concepts always make me cringe so much
>>54459074
just dont try to come up with something 'unique', and never EVER make joke characters and youre fine
>>
>>54459219
>reverse halo
what

Anyway yeah you're mistaking "ideas people think are super unique but have actually been done before" for "ideas people think are super unique but are actually overused".
>>
>>54457386
>I'm a dark elf out to apprehend a traitor to our people who is a ranger who dual wields scimitars.
>>
>>54457908
WHAT how is that bad

Personally, I think that's bonederful
>>
>>54461585
This is why everyone hates you.
>>
>>54461111
Thing about Drizzt's weapons is that they aren't really designed as Scimitars, they're fucking Kilij's.
>>
>>54461734
You seem a little rattled.
>>
>>54457217
>I'm a high level cleric
>nobody has even heard of me and i have no worshippers or acolytes
>>
>>54457731
There was an old, old, old Magic the Gathering short story called God Sins which was basically this, although it's more about how the all powerful protagonist is trying to wean himself away from reflexively using magic for everything.
>>
>>54457217

What if I think of a character that I KNOW is not unique, but play it anyway because it tickles my fancy?
>>
>>54457217
>my character is a human male fighter
>>
>>54457908
You know what one I miss? The bossy, haughty princess who is forced by adventure to learn some life skills but never quite loses her waspishness.
>>
File: 817691a74c0bd0fa81bac0f48c184433.jpg (126KB, 832x1043px) Image search: [Google]
817691a74c0bd0fa81bac0f48c184433.jpg
126KB, 832x1043px
>>54457357
>>
>>54461585
It's a bone-afide great character IMO
>>
>>54459219
Anon this is supposed to be a dumb ideas thread, not a cool ideas thread.
>>
>>54459219
Laughing at all the defensive faggots who've used one of these shit ideas, well done.
>>
>>54459219
>reverse halo
I know this probably means some signifier of evilness, but my first thought was a campaign where the PCs play as agents of the state against terrorists who will (intentionally or otherwise) awaken an ancient evil and unleash it on the world.
>>
>>54457908
This one will always be great.
>>
>>54457217
You know, I think this is where /tg/ discussion kind of falls apart. Because as a community, "cliche" doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense when d&d games are isolated to what you and your friends are interested in. So many dm's don't even dovetail off of the D&D lore and cannon, and just make up entire worlds of their own. So it's only your fault if your game is cliche.

Like, okay, no one wants to dm for an edgy lone wolf guy. The "CN drow rogue that escaped the underdark", I get that. Everybody learns the "letting their newbie players try out a necromancer" lesson. But imagine being the curmudgeonly old fuck that gets stary-eyed players with cute ideas and goes "THAT'S CLICHE, NO." Like, eat a dick? It's not your game dude, it's your players game. If your players are too normie-core for your dm'ing, you just shouldn't be dm'ing their game. Simple as that.
>>
>>54459219
Most of those actually sounds really cool.
>>
>>54462947
>it's not your game dude,
Yeah, about that...
>>
>>54457325
I always love that concept every time I see it, even if it is overused.
>>
>>54459219
What world did you live in where half of these are overused?
>>
File: 1476762804705.jpg (4KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1476762804705.jpg
4KB, 184x184px
>>54462975
>He dm's for himself
Go write a needlessly complicated book like Martin did, kid
>>
>>54463016
Oh I agree with the rest of your dissertation but you're pretty off the mark if you think the Game Master isn't in charge of how a Game goes. I've never vetoed a unique cute idea unless it was just completely off the mark like "I wanna play a homeless man with a medieval suit of armor and SWORD" in my Delta Green game.
Also,
>kid
Swing and a miss.
>>
>>54463068
If you have to say you're not a kid, you're a fucking kid, kid.
>>
File: 1476762804705.png (9KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1476762804705.png
9KB, 184x184px
>>54463068
>If you think the Game Master isn't in charge of how a Game goes
Yeah, the dm is the narrator and the rule-maker, and they mitigate everything that happens to your players, but it's up to your players to decide how you got there. It is THEIR game. How hard is it to say, if you don't like their ideas, or they're doing something that would get them in hot water, you challenge them? You make it part of the game? It's not difficult dude.
>Swing and a miss
Oh so it's more embarrassing then, got it
>>
>>54459219
>itt: things that never happened
A couple of these sound fun anyways, thanks for the idea bucket
>>
>>54457731
Ben 10 omnivore had a character like that at one point, he was the hailed master of all magic, living a quiet life as a janitor practicing slight of hand tricks because he found real magic dull, no challenge, no rules.
>>
File: img5.jpg (43KB, 470x268px) Image search: [Google]
img5.jpg
43KB, 470x268px
>Modern game with fantasy elements
>Cleric is dressed in a suit and tie and carries a book.
>Not actually a cleric at all, but a guy with a doctorate in psychology masquerading as a cleric.
>"Casts" healing magic, except it's not magic at all.
>He simply uses advanced psychiatric tricks to convince players they're feeling better, has the same effect as giving someone temporary hitpoints.

I have for the better part of a year wanted to play a guy who's been impersonating a megachurch pastor in a setting like Shadowrun or WoD. I figure there might've been a heist on the church's coffers, the group accidentally kills the real pastor, and the face attempts to disguise himself on the spot as him so security doesn't get alerted. In the end, he winds up passing off so well, he's basically taken over something more lucrative than running the shadows ever was, so he just keeps playing the part.
>>
>>54460534
I wanna play a Drow Jester now...
>>
>>54457731
Holy shit, I think the BBEG in my campaign is going to lead up to something like this now.
>>
>>54459219
>overused ideas
>literally don't even understand what half of them are supposed to be
The fuck is a reverse halo?
I think you have very different RPG groups than the rest of us.
>>
>>54463240
For some, if its been done once by another person, it's "over used" and "cliche" and "unoriginal"

It's essentially abother kind of hipster, seeking novelty and originality for its own sake
>>
>>54457239
Bonus points if the character does a macho man randy savage impression
>>
>>54463215
Aw, I'm flattered anon.

I hope you and your players have lots of fun!
>>
>>54463119
The only embarrassing thing is replying to you when you're flexing your lack of reading comprehension like a bodybuilder with a speech impediment at a spelling bee. I already said I agreed with the rest of your points, man.
The point is that it's not the player's game, it's everyone's game, and the GM is the only one with sway during character creation. Because if the person running the game doesn't get to shut down "quirky" "clever" "unique" (aka randumbe) ideas, then who does?
>>
File: 1481614789954.jpg (60KB, 625x409px) Image search: [Google]
1481614789954.jpg
60KB, 625x409px
>>54459240
And children skeletons are vertebrats.
>>
>>54457325
I've had a player who essentially faked being a wizard and was just a rogue
>>
>>54457217
A wizard with any of the following characteristics:
>"wacky", "no sense of right and wrong"
>pervy old man
>DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
File: image.jpg (105KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105KB, 1200x675px
>>54460335
>>
>>54463340
Carlos, I am going to find you and stuff you into that fucking bus's engine so that when the class starts it you will be roasted alive and chopped up at once....
>>
>>54463414
No. I want you to suck my dick.
>>
>>54463306
>you're flexing your lack of reading comprehension like a bodybuilder with a speech impediment at a spelling bee.
No one is laughing at your zany metaphor, kid, and no one is gonna screenshot your "sick burn". Go for a walk.
>>
>>54463439
Why are you guys so mean to me? I'm just trying to have some intellectual discourse. Assholes, the lot of you. This is why the entire internet hates you. I'm outta here, fuck you guys.

... is what you really want me to type.
It's all in good fun, I didn't mean to hurt you.
>>
>>54457731
you realize that this is going to lead directly to DBZ "I can't believe you're strong enough to make me use my full power" antics.

If you're still on board, that's fine, but you're going to HAVE to do that with this set up.
>>
File: 1498181530921.png (487KB, 608x653px) Image search: [Google]
1498181530921.png
487KB, 608x653px
>>54462947
The gm is very clearly a part of the game. Its not his job to bend over backwards in order to make a game work, its a matter of comprimise where neither party is clearly responsible for obeying the others desires. Sometimes the players want to do some dumb shit, Gm doesent want to accomodate, the players will still have fun if there is things they cant do.

Speaking from experience here, and I have some of the most enthousiastic players you could get over the last two years.
>>
>>54457217
>My character's an orphan, he's travelling to find his parents
>My character's a farmhand/milkmaid who's travelling to prove themselves/make a better life for themselves
>My exotic Monk/Sorcerer/Barbarian is travelling to recover a stolen family/tribal artifact
>My rogue wants to rogue like nobodies rogued before by stealing X super valuable item
>My samurai is wandering to find a master worth devoting himself to. He'll likely never find one because he just that awesome.
>My heterosexual Aryan male !nazi fighter/paladin/ranger has a loving wife and seven kids waiting for him at home as is adventuring to kill Tango Oscars that threaten his homeland.
>My barbarian/druid/ranger was raised by [_______] animal(s)
>My tiefling rogue has a blood fetish
>My grippli barbarian is dex based and has X00+10d20 siblings.
>My orc wizard thinks he's a barbarian and is going to kill [dangerous monster] so he can become the emperor of all the orc tribes
>My asimar is actually evil and has a blood fetish
>My female fighter is strong and independent and comes from a mystical tribe of strong and independent woman
>My Bard is travelling to fuck everything, he also wants to get an STD named after him.
>My wizard is looking for a spellbook of [_______] caster, because this spell is in it
>My (intelligent construct race) is adventuring to find this great artificer in the hopes that said artifice can give them [insert organ of choice]
>>
>>54463342
VarHuman Magic Initiate into Arcane Trickster is a good way to do it in 5e.
>>
Let people play what they want, if it fits the setting, they play it competently and aren't asking for anything why beat down a standard trope of the setting?
>>
>>54463611
>My (intelligent construct race) is adventuring to find this great artificer in the hopes that said artifice can give them [insert organ of choice]

A functional digestive system so they can shit on your opinions you joyless cunt.
>>
File: Dwarf Adventurer.jpg (230KB, 650x616px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf Adventurer.jpg
230KB, 650x616px
>>54458887
My bard is a Dwarven Bard who made a pact with a lost tribal Orc. In exchange for saving his life and showing him the pleasures of civilized life (like garlic bread) and in exchange, he teaches me the chants and warsongs of his tribe.

In reality, I'm trying to find what songs they sing, and to reverse engineer any magic in it, so my dorfbois back home can get the benefit of rage, well still wearing that sick plate.

So pretty much a spy, trying to use Orc's tribal connections to steal indigenous people's culture and weaponize it.

Do I make you proud, /tg?
>>
File: 1372930044283.png (248KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1372930044283.png
248KB, 267x200px
>>54459634
I tried to make stand-like villains before. Then ran out of ideas quickly and looked back, realizing all my stand names were Metallica and Megadeth albums. It was then I realized they were all I listen to.

I've since branched out and started listening to other music/bands, even went back to some of the music my parents used to listen to.

>tfw Jojo's Bizarre Adventure improved my taste in music
>>
>>54463367
The next time I play a fixer in a game, I'm going to base him off of him.
>>
>>54463205
Want to absolutely fuck things sideways in your game of 3.5?
>Dragon Compendium Vol 1 Jester Base Class
>Dragon Magazine 330 Jester Prestige Class (Offers the performance dosh benefits and (Su)s with the 10th level providing Diarmunds Last Jest, a Joke that accidentally wove Power word Kill into it, killing an entire audience, making it look like they laughed themselves to death
>Kingdoms of Kalamar's rules for using bluff to hide somantic components in casual conversation, something done in the canon Forgotten Realms comics which illustrate Diarmund's last Jest
>The Forgotten Realms Comics
>Dragon Magazine's Older 1e-2e Jester Classes which are the origins of the class so you can understand it in further context, such as the Jester's Equivalent of mage offs where they Joke-battle to burn one another into defeat.

D&D Jester's are so fucking dope they become Immune to Insanity as a concept, so you can waltz the fuck into an Aboleth city, the Far Realm, the Abyss, and Ravenloft and come out Unscathed.

And there's a Xaositect PrC which allows you to turn all sound into audible shitposting and force rerolls as much as you like for maximum chaos.

For extra silliness, get the Planar Touchstone feat and the The Catalogues of Enlightenment feature to gain a single Clerical Domain power to use, chaos, madness etc, the possibilites are limitless, Become Cegorach!
>>
File: Prayer_Wheels.jpg (42KB, 625x417px) Image search: [Google]
Prayer_Wheels.jpg
42KB, 625x417px
>>54459219
>mechanized religion magic, prayer wheels and music boxes that hold chants
This is a real thing.
>>
>>54464875
But do they disable nearby magic when you play them?
>>
>>54462947
I think your mistake is in thinking that cliches as far as character ideas refer to only D&D. If you take a cliche movie character or book character and use them for D&D, it doesn't make them any less cliche because of a change of medium. The implication of a cliche idea is that it is so well known, so well used, that there's nothing interesting left to be found in it. It's an oil well run dry. At best it's a fallback, at worst it's something that doesn't ever need to be seen again because we know how it goes.

Another mistake is assuming that only GMs have a problem with this. As a player, I do not want to play with yet another Chaotic Neutral rogue who's using the alignment as a thin pretext for the fact that the player doesn't really care about the consequences of their actions, as long as they get ahead and don't get punished.

And on top of all that, I have never seen a player get absolutely crushed when the first idea they throw down gets veto'd by the DM. They usually just bring out another idea they had, or if it's really bad they just leave. You underestimate how eager people can be to play and how many ideas they can have.
>>
>>54457818
One of my favorite characters was a Warforged cleric. The combination of feats he had (3.5) meant he couldn't be hurt, and even if he was he healed something like 10/rd. Here's the thing: He couldn't hit to save his life. Every time I tried, I either missed or (with alarming frequency) hit my party. Eventually, the GM had enemies start grappling him and just holding him till the combat ended to disable him. It was great.
>>
>>54461803

I love you.
>>
>>54457386
>>54457720
>>54461111

>I'm a dark elf
>>
>>54465937
>I'm an elf
>>
>>54465963
I'm an
>>
>>54465984
an
>>
>>54461803
Isn't a kilic a type of scimitar, or have I been misinformed?
>>
>>54465992
a
>>
>>54465992
I am.
>>
>>54465984
>I am
>>
File: 1463872225882.gif (2MB, 325x235px) Image search: [Google]
1463872225882.gif
2MB, 325x235px
>>54461806
lol, cheeky cunt.
>>
File: Prototype_Guts.png (141KB, 516x736px) Image search: [Google]
Prototype_Guts.png
141KB, 516x736px
Tough edgelord fighter/martial artist that doesn't afraid of anything because the player's dick is so big and basically only speaks in battle cries and barked commands. Usually an "old" (actually 35 at most because they don't actually want to put the effort to play an elderly person ) "tired" "veteran" despite being Lv. 1
>>
ITT people thinking that ever trying to subvert any cliche ever is evil and cliche in itself because they hate it when anything steps out of their strict D&D comfort zone
>>
>>54457217
> I'm a smart person who is going to use magic smartness (or just magic) to change the era-inspiration for the time period and culture of the game i'm playing because I can't engage with the premises of the game I'm in. AKA IM GONNA INVENT GUNS/MASS PRODUCTION guy. That guy should be banned from every table.
>>
>>54461734
I know I've got a bone to pick with him.
>>
>>54459219
Who hurt you anon?
>>
>>54457217

Unknown Armies version: can do real magic so long as every witness believes it's not real magic. If they later suspect it might be fake it doesn't cancel it out, but it has to look staged or it won't work to begin with. Bigger magic requires you to trick more witnesses.
>>
>>54460392
>Handsome Bob can use magic

When the fuck did this happen?
>>
>>54457217
"I'm some type of incredibly tired character cliche... BUT! I'm also QUEER!"
>>
>>54459219
biological machines will always be cool. At their best when they're SS. Madame du Pompadour level, mechanical but with fleshy bits
>>
>>54457217
strong womyn who talk own all da men
>>
>>54459219
t. jaded pseud
>>
>>54457217
>agnostic druid
>>
>>54463389
laughing like a madman!
>>
>tiefling warlock who makes a pact with a fiend
>>
>>54467767
You mean Lord Percival Fredrickstein Von Musel Klossowski de Rolo III?
>>
>>54469785
>SS. Madame du Pompadour
Fucking best episode ever made. Genuinely saddens me to watch how badly it's gone downhill since
>>
>>54470446
Thats kind of a mouthful.
Can we just call him professor von fuckstick?
>>
>>54463482
Yuyu hakusho did it better.
>aw you're cute. 10%
>ok let's get serious. 50%
>you're pretty good kid. 80%
>this is the greatest fight of my life, and I thank you profusely for giving it to me. 100%
>shit. Uh, 110%?
>>
File: 1451804779406.jpg (863KB, 1600x813px) Image search: [Google]
1451804779406.jpg
863KB, 1600x813px
>>54459219
>god of guns

Ave Nex Alea
>>
>>54457908
Good-aligned necromancers are the best.
>The whole "we will solve all class problems with undeads" trope has been beaten to death though.
>>
>>54464503
Haaaaaaa
>>
>>54463611
>My character's a blacksmith who's travelling to make a better life for themselves

I've played this character, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Sounds like you have a serious case of no fun allowed
>>
File: 1492198833533.jpg (221KB, 792x792px) Image search: [Google]
1492198833533.jpg
221KB, 792x792px
>low fantasy setting
>My character is steampunk inventor!
>>
>>54471586
>Medieval fantasy game
>Character with no prior alchemy training suddenly decides to throw a bunch of "random" chemicals together that just happen to be what gunpowder is made of
>Decides that this powder is explosive. Makes no attempt actually test it to come to that conclusion, just assumes it is.
>Then suddenly invents guns because "guns are common sense lol"
>>
>>54457731
For some reason I think Pratchett did a similar character once. Also in dragonlance there was this old wizard that was really the good aligned god incarnate, who kind of fits; and be prepared if someone wants to call you magical saitama or some other anime related thing.
>>
>>54470418
My dude, that's just good crunch. If you wanna play a hexblade, literally the best way to do it.
>>
File: 1492986052430.gif (1MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
1492986052430.gif
1MB, 360x270px
>X character, from Y franchise, but in D&D

Fuck you, actually develop something instead of just ctrl+c ctrl+v'ing everything you see.
>>
>>54471802
But Megumin from Konosuba in D&D ;_;
>>
>>54470604
and then he went on to make HxH which is a whole other mess of powerlevel bullshit
>>
>>54457908
>>necromancer who uses his powers for good and makes bone puns
I really like this one.
[Spoiler] even if it has been done to death [/spoiler]
>>
>>54463611
Now I want to play a Nazi paladin.
>>
>>54465056
I can safely say it is impossible to cast spells in their presence.
>>
>>54471993
Nazi Paladin who wants to exterminate all forms of fae.
>>
>>54472028
Elves are 2% of the population, yet 50% of the wealthiest people, what does this tell you?
>>
>>54471867
Not even on the Geed Island Arc yet but power levels seem fine to me. Nen seems a bit retarded, how so many people seem to know about it and have control over it and yet most Hunters don't even know what it is when they begin the Hunter exam and aren't even told about it once they pass they have to find out themselves
>>
>>54458071
I think you mean
>not Flint Fireforge
>>
>>54459224
I want to punch you for posting that, and the artist for not even trying on that pun.
>>
>>54457217
>caring about uniqueness in D&D characters
special snowflake mode engaged
>>
>>54472399
Any Trump supporters round here? If so I wanna kick your ass
>>
>>54472290
the power of compound interest
>>
>>54472425
You're such a tolerant leftist. A sheckel for the good goy.
>>
>>54464825
damn, your kind of powerplaying mixed with autism scares me
>>
>>54474169
it's a /pol/ meme, friend
>>
>>54463537
See
>>54463119

>>54465349
I didn't imply any of that, my dude. At any rate, imagine your first impressions of this "wacky roleplaying game for cool nerds! XD" session is your dm turning down your (seemingly) interesting idea. Kind of a buzzkill. It's not like you're gonna go running home, bitter tears streaming down your face, but a flat out "no" is a. disappointing and b.red flag number 1. A dm worth their salt will work with their players, or challenge their ideas in-game. Lets face it, the kind of dm that's so bitter that they throw up walls for something so petty...that's probably not an isolated incident. If that's your session 0, imagine how fun the rest of the campaign is going to be.
>>
File: kek.jpg (870KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
870KB, 1680x1050px
>>54463439
>No one is laughing at your zany metaphor, kid
idk I'm the guy he replied to and something about it has me like pic related. It's a fun mixture of how that made no sense and being sleep deprived.
>>
>>54467589
Welcome to the post irony culture of the modern internet. Enjoy your stay! (Or don't enjoy yourself; people will only like you if you're sarcastically joyous.)
>>
>>54459240
I laughed. Fuck you.
>>
>>54457525
...is that a thing? I could see it for an NPC but... a PC?
>>
>>54475231
Different anon here.
It's gotten so stupid now that I've started calling people out on it, and appealing directly for more sincerity.
Though only mostly when people are being retarded because of it; that's the only time you can get through to them.
>>
>>54471119
Wait, explain? How are class problems.... Like... Using undead as slaves?

I wanna do a good necromancer who is obsessed with freeing up concentrations of power, whether that is from dead bodies or from entrenched kingdoms... but I wasn't aware necro's being filthy reds was a trope
>>
>>54459448
ree
>>
>>54463389
That plan is engine-ious!
>>
>>54472327
Don't worry. Nen basically solves all power-level related problems up until Chimera Ant arc, but we forgive it because it's the best one.
>>
>>54464516

Lame
>>
>>54457763
iirc she makes a point of not using real magic on stage though
>>
>>54461585
4/10, I was expecting humerus.
>>
>>54463611
>>My wizard is looking for a spellbook of [_______] caster, because this spell is in it
>>54463611
>>My rogue wants to rogue like nobodies rogued before by stealing X super valuable item

Confirmed shit tier GM that can't work in olayer backstory integration.
>>
>>54457217
Oh yeah? May character is a wizard with a secret identity of a stage magician's hat and gets off every time the guy pulls a rabbit out of him
>>
>>54466049
Yeah, to be has become quite the cliché recently. It's lost a lot of it's uniqueness since Shakespeare.
But I digress. In the few games I played, there's always the one guy that makes the D&D version of an anime character. Might have something to do with the fact that my circle of friends are raging weebs, but I don't know. It still irks me. I'm not gonna be like "You can't play that", but part of me kinda hopes that, at some point, I'll be playing a campaign with "original" characters instead of animoo copypastas.
>>
>>54472028
>>54472290
>(((elves)))
>not (((dwarves)))
>love gold
>big noses
>>
>>54459219
This is a false flag psyop to make people use these ideas you think are cool isn't it?

Either way consider yourself successful you son of a bitch.
Thread posts: 190
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.