[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not sure if this belongs here, but I'm looking to create

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 17

File: the_normans.jpg (104KB, 770x539px) Image search: [Google]
the_normans.jpg
104KB, 770x539px
Not sure if this belongs here, but I'm looking to create a play-by-post game.

This would be the third iteration of this idea. The first was fun, but poorly thought out, so the mechanics were shit. The second was well-thought out, but there was so much math involved that, when a war broke out, the math of it, along with answering people's PMs and writing posts, took eight hours.

Years later, I want to give this a shot again. This time though, I'm automating all the complex stuff with Java.

Here's the premise:

>> Small kingdom in a high middle ages world, no magic.
>> Old king, though effective, was greedy, so vassals overthrow him.
>> One random lucky applicant will be chosen king, granting them extra land and resources. The rest will be their vassals.
>> "But anon, that's no fair, the other players will resent them!"
>> Exactly.
>> King will have to walk a fine line between running kingdom effectively, and keeping his vassals, the other players, from killing him.
>> Players can do w/e the fuck they want. There are several neighboring kingdoms nearby that make for good starting points, but the players could just as easily try to kill each other, or just fuck around and host epic noble parties.

Cont.
>>
File: the_normans_2.jpg (76KB, 770x434px) Image search: [Google]
the_normans_2.jpg
76KB, 770x434px
>>54450021

The actual mechanics of the game are as follows, so far:

>> Start out with 1000 points.
>> These points are used to buy land, and other upgrades.
>> These points are further spent deciding how to utilize the land, from farmland, to pastures, to mines, to simply leaving it as wilderness
>> Lastly, points are spent on family members.
>> Some family members are free, having more will cost you. Not having the free members, or having members with bad traits, will give you back points.

>> Main resources are crops, cattle, metal, and bullis (short for bullions).
>> 1 acre of farmland produces 3 crops. 3 crops are consumed per person in your land, so you need 4 acres per person.
>> Max amount of land 1 pop can work is 30 acres, so population size should only become a problem if you're raising a lot of people to fight.
>> Mines require minimum amount of people to work as well, though haven't decided yet how many that should be.
>> 1 mine produces enough metal to arm 500 basic spearmen, or pay for the upkeep of 1000 for a year. They are appropriately expensive in points.
>> Lastly, cattle. Valuable, being worth 15 crops, but requires pastures to be fed. Otherwise, need to be fed with crops. On paper, more efficient than farmland, but can be stolen, and replenish at a small rate of 1% each year.

>> Land can be parsed out to knights.
>> This land does not directly provide you anything, except a skilled heavy horseman who is always ready to fight (more on that in a sec).

Cont.
>>
File: sweden_and_norway_12th_century.jpg (124KB, 611x850px) Image search: [Google]
sweden_and_norway_12th_century.jpg
124KB, 611x850px
>>54450188

>> Combat works as follows.
>> You start out with half the amount of the metal you produce each year to be spent on your initial weapons stockpile.
>> To get your army, simply call up your peasants, and arm them with your stockpile. Feeling cheap? They come with their own shitty armor and billhooks if you don't provide them with anything.
>> Have knights? Congrats! These guys start out at Skill 1 (as opposed to your peasant levies, who start at Skill 0).
>> Troops gain experience through battle. Knights continuously gain experience, since they're always training.

>> Battle is simple. I go to random.org, and put in the highest number a unit's stats allow them. Troops start out with a base of 20. This is the percentage of their unit size that scores a casualty against the enemy.

>> If enemy sustains a certain amount of casualties, morale is rolled for in a similar fashion. Roll under the max number, and you're good. Experienced units are obviously less likely to run.

There are a lot more details to this game that still need to be worked out (supply lines, raiding/pillaging, taxation, using money to buy from foreign merchants, etc.).

Is this project to ambitious/autistic? Because I'm trying to make this game a relatively realistic simulation of what being a medieval lord is like, but doing so is a complicated affair. It doesn't help that so far, the people I've asked about it love to give "advice" (new features they think would be cool) without giving any solid reasons for how the mechanics should work.
>>
I had a similar experience, down to trying automation on the third try

Best advice I can give is start small, test often
>>
File: norman_4.jpg (37KB, 539x351px) Image search: [Google]
norman_4.jpg
37KB, 539x351px
>>54453056

Elaborate? What was your game?
>>
Medieval with some supernatural elements. Angels, demons, the like...

People had fun, but I was too breezy on the mechanics. A royal couple had a wedding and invited someone who burned it all down with a dragon, so yea, better rules were needed.
>>
File: 10th_century.jpg (889KB, 1200x853px) Image search: [Google]
10th_century.jpg
889KB, 1200x853px
>>54453817

I'll say. This stuff is hard enough with no magic, I couldn't imagine adding in supernatural stuff.

My problem was more stuff like "if the battle happens over the course of a day, and each turn lasts a season, how do we proceed?" or just stuff like naval battle mechanics.
>>
File: desert_demons_by_sandara[1].jpg (393KB, 975x638px) Image search: [Google]
desert_demons_by_sandara[1].jpg
393KB, 975x638px
>>54453908
Yea, magic is pretty hard to balance by nature.

Do you favor army combat systems over political systems? Like, on a scale of Game of Thrones to Age of Empires 2 where do you want to be?
>>
File: lancelot.jpg (1MB, 1632x2326px) Image search: [Google]
lancelot.jpg
1MB, 1632x2326px
>>54454178

Neither. I mean, I guess Game of Thrones, but I don't like that show.

My caveat is to avoid gamey-stuff wherever I can. If a player does something, it should give them an actual benefit, instead of just applying a modifier or bonus.

Example: In Age of Empires II, there are random upgrades you can get that just increase your production of stuff for no real reason. Building Barracks allows you to buy troops with money that comes from mines, because apparantly you are mining magical gold that can create human beings from thin air.
>>
File: Maximillian_Plate_Armor.jpg (37KB, 241x640px) Image search: [Google]
Maximillian_Plate_Armor.jpg
37KB, 241x640px
>>54454672

I know this is pretty hard to do, and ultimately since I don't have the time and technical skills to create every single person living in the land and having them act accordingly, there's going to be some abstreactions. I'd just prefer to avoid them if possible.
>>
>>54454672
>>54454721

Have you ever played Victoria 2? Instead of modelling individuals, they had demographic groups (pops) that had needs, produced goods, and formed your armies.

I see you already have a system kind of like that, but it might be good source of extra implementable ideas if you want realism without going crazy.
>>
File: big_ass_knight.jpg (259KB, 800x745px) Image search: [Google]
big_ass_knight.jpg
259KB, 800x745px
>>54455126

I've played Victoria 2. It's simply not feasible for me to emulate. Not toally, anyway.

In order to do what Vicky 2 does with pops, I'd have to make an object which could make make money, be taxed, buy goods, suffer negative effects when not getting those goods, retain their experience from combat while not raised, etc.

I mean, I can just tell that players will be bugging me about the skill system. But in order for your army to retain their skills, I would have to keep track of each individual person who had gained experience. It would be tedious. I'd be better off just making Knights automatically superior by giving them a bonus, or only allowing experience in armies while they're raised.

And that's just one conundrum.
>>
File: fantasy_egyptian_babe.jpg (266KB, 943x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fantasy_egyptian_babe.jpg
266KB, 943x1200px
Bumperino.
>>
>>54455704
Hmm, so how are you planning to handle persistent elements? Do you have much programming experience with databases and cronjobs or are you doing that part by hand?
>>
File: halberd_girl.jpg (402KB, 1000x1514px) Image search: [Google]
halberd_girl.jpg
402KB, 1000x1514px
>>54456317

I know how to make objects in java, and I know how to make them work with oracle SQL. Beyond that, I don't really have much of a clue. What's a cronjob?
>>
>>54456864

Cron is a way to make a script run at regular intervals automatically. Once an hour... once a day... etc. For example, you could use it for the knights' continuous XP award.

To retain XP, skills, and sundry, you'll definitely want to figure out databases, or at least how to read and write from text or JSON files.
>>
>>54457322

My God, that sounds perfect. I could have turns set to end at midnight at the end of every week, and automatically update EVERYTHING.

So little bookkeeping. . . oh, yesssss.

Brb going to learn cron.
>>
>>54457364

Glad I could help. Good luck!
>>
I wonder if a play-by-post could work for solo adventures where the players never encounter one another? I wonder what that would be like.

>>54450021
>> King will have to walk a fine line
This is doomed, of course.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.