[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best system you have come across to fit your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: steampunk.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
steampunk.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
What's the best system you have come across to fit your specific needs?

hardmode: no gurps
>>
Nothing so far, but that's because my needs are different for each campaign. I do like using West End Games' D6 system as my go-to for adapting most kinds of settings, but if I want something specific like open-ended dungeon crawling or post-apocalyptic science fantasy I'll gravitate towards the systems best for those.
>>
File: 4e.png (498KB, 750x300px) Image search: [Google]
4e.png
498KB, 750x300px
>>54427392
4th edition. I understand it's not ideal for everything, but it's ideal for everything I run. I want my players to feel like the protagonists of the story while still giving them tension from depleting resources. I am okay with melee being a viable option, even in a modern/space setting. I enjoy when players refluff a class into something different but mechanically appropriate. I like having a backlog of balanced monsters that I can pull from whenever I need to that lets me craft an encounter in minutes. I like that combat is tactically deep and fun enough to be its own game. I like that there aren't many out of combat rules, and those are exist are easily ignorable, so that it's easier to actually ROLE PLAY.

4e is a DM's dream edition, and i don't see myelf chosing something else as my go-to any time soon.
>>
Strike!

I just like that it's designed with what it wants to do in mind (and what it wants to do is appealing to me).

It's simple, modular, easy to brew for. The only thing I dislike is that the guidelines for the skill/trick system are kinda shoddy, and the book is poorly edited/sort of unprofessional in tone.
>>
A slightly modified version of Pathfinder.

Yes, I know.
>>
>>54427392
Hero System
>>
This is me failing hardmode and not giving a shit.
>>
>>54427392
Stormbringer
I like twisted magic that actually has risks to it.
>>
Only War, because I wanted an IG game.

Will probably try either GURPS, Savage Worlds or blades in the dark for some fantasy shenanigans
>>
>>54427392
Toss Up between Spycraft and Diaspora (space FATE) , as I like modern--> future settings and a mechanic that can support dialogue heavy or social mechanic campaigns punctuated here and there with just a few brutal life or death firefights.
>>
Savage Worlds, because it's like enough like GURPS that you can run anything with it, but it's a different enough system that, unlike GURPS, I can manage to DM improvised games with no fuss while also having a wife, a full time job, three kids, sports, social engagements, etc.
>>
File: 1481126445083.jpg (122KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1481126445083.jpg
122KB, 1024x768px
>>54427392
But...
>>
I run two home-brewed systems. One a more 70/80s style fantasy RPG system, the other a take on narrative dice systems. Once Genesys comes out later this year I will try to make that my go to.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.