[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your opinion on Legacy board games? On one hand having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: aids skrillex.jpg (63KB, 680x821px) Image search: [Google]
aids skrillex.jpg
63KB, 680x821px
What is your opinion on Legacy board games?

On one hand having a game that changes on a fundamental level between sessions based on the last session is a really neat concept.

On the other the way most go about it with boards and such that cannot be reset to their original form is blatant money gouging.

Would you like them better if they included removable stickers and dry erase style player boards or something along those lines so you could reset the same box over and over again?

Or is the whole Legacy aspect a gimmick to make a kind of shit game seem more interesting (like Pandemic and Risk, which are objectively shit games)?
>>
You know, it's never worked out in play for me. I've bought several of the new board and card games, played them once, and sealed them back up again. I think it's wannabe designers without the resources to make a mmo trying to live out their dream on cardboard. Last decent card games I played were Munchkin and Chez Geek, and I'm even kind of burnt out on those.
>>
The main problem with it is that the Legacy aspect eventually ends. You'll run out of blank cards, you'll run out of room on the board, whatever. At that point there's not a whole lot of reason to play it in favor of a normal board game.
>>
>>54426022
Gloomhaven is some of the most fun I've had playing board games. We've been playing periodically over months, still have tons of content untouched, and it has a removable stickers option.
>>
>>54426564

Gloomhaven is a bit of an odd duck in the Legacy games department in the sense that most legacy games are done in about a month or so if you play a couple of times a week.

Gloomhaven though, playing a couple of times a week and you might 'finish' it in about a year and a half AND if you play through again (which is possible given the removable sticker option and free stuff to print out online for character sheets) you will get a pretty drastically different story if you choose to go that route instead of something kind of similar but with a different code of paint.

That said, I seriously doubt most gamers on here will play Gloomhaven given its high cost of initial investment and the fact that it needs a dedicated group and a good chunk of sessions before you level up.

Probably the absolute closest I have come to a proper RPG made into a board game though that does just enough different to make it stand out on its own.

To be fair though, it has more than a few problems and anybody saying it doesn't (which a lot of reviewers do) need to be ignored. Set-up is pretty tedious without a third party insert to keep shit separated, the turns can be a bit long in the tooth and there is a fair amount to keep up with each turn (not as much as in other games, but it is definitely noticeable), the element mechanic is kind of wonky, and some classes are just objectively better on the table (the Spellweaver comes to mind, a competent spellweaver player usually gains a fuck load more XP than the rest of the group and has a lot of nuclear options pretty quickly).

Still, on the whole, it is better than the sum of its parts and even the annoying bits are pretty easy to look past. A damn fine game all in all and probably the best dungeon crawl I have ever played (Warhammer Quest, Descent 2nd edition, Dungeon Saga, Shadows of Brimstone, etc).
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.