[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>character is a knight >father in his backstory died as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 13

>character is a knight
>father in his backstory died as a war hero in the service of the kingdom
>DM reveals that his father actually sold his country in a bid for power
>mother was sweet and kind who helped raise him to be like father
>DM changes that his mother was actually a witch who sold her soul to raise his father as an abomination
>his mission was to find his little sister who was kidnapped by bandits some time ago
>his sister was actually sacrificed by his mother in said ritual
Are you okay with the DM messing with your character relatives? Because... fuck.
>>
>>54422707
Did you try talking to your DM about the issue before posting on /tg/
>>
They only time the GM asked about my parents I said, my father was a wealthy human landowner, and my mother was an elvish bikini team model.
The father of my current character is an old character I played, and his father was my first character. So he knows them, and their exploits.
>>
Messing with my relatives in a way that happens in the future, sure. "Bandits have kidnapped the children of your hometown for ransom, one of which includes your kid brother!" that's a fine quest hook, but changing someone's backstory retroactively is bullshit.
Might as well just hand the sheet to the DM and say "Here, write my backstory for me." Rewriting a character's entire motivation is shitty. Rewriting a character's mother to be nothing like they had written them is shitty. The DM wanted to force narrative drama and had no other way besides hamfistedly fucking with a player's family background.
>>
>>54422707
Tell your DM to stop reading John Wick's advice
>>
>>54422734
He said that as DM my character backstory belongs to the game.

I expected that if my character mother appeared she would be controlled by him, but I didn't expect him to turn her into an adept of the dark arts. Or change my father into an overpowered undead. Or change my noble quest to save my sister into a 'murder your relatives for revenge'.
>>
Countles wifes and daughters were raped because our GM is a damn retard.
>>
>>54422836
It sounds like he's on a power trip and wants you to play through his novel, rather than make a game for you. I'd tell him that you don't like the way he handles his game then look for someone else to play with. You can try talking to him but he doesn't sound like the kind of guy to respect a player telling him he shouldn't have absolute power to change whatever bullshit he wants.
>>
>>54422836
Then what you do is just say "No" when he retcons bullshit out of your backstory and continue narrating your situation as though he didn't say anything. Just completely disregard it.
>>
>>54422707
My GM is into incest and I don't think I want any messing around with relatives to happen.

Ergo, orphaned and raised by: grandparents/wolves/orphanage/unrelated mentor.
>>
>>54422880
That would be ideal but sadly the group we play is in RL. I will stay on watch however and call him out if he pulls other crap.

We usually rotate between DMs and I have quite a hunch this campaign won't go far. Even if this campaign sucks the next one will probably be better.
>>
>>54422970
Why the fuck would the game not being online prevent you talking to your DM in private?
>>
>>54422992
I already did, his reply was in my previous answer. Being a real life group however means that I cannot simply search another since they are the only dudes I know that play.
>>
>>54422734
This is like the "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

It should be made into memes, ideally with pictures of Millhouse
>>
>>54423065
Assuming you showed him your backstory and he read it and approved it, he has no grounds to change it all up now. The (relatively) reasonable thing to do would have been to tell you at the outright "hey I like your backstory but I'm going to change it to better fit a background plot I have planned for your character if that's okay with you." That's not the best since it's a bit railroady but at least you have the option to say no.
>>
File: 1484924059833.gif (2MB, 499x706px) Image search: [Google]
1484924059833.gif
2MB, 499x706px
This is why I don't write backstories anymore, or at least write a few lines if I have to. Every time I wrote a hometown or family or friends, they inevitably got shat on by the GM.
>>
>>54422970
That's great! You don't even have to talk with him and hope he decides to cut his crap. Just crack him across the knuckles with a ruler every time he starts being a shit.
>>
File: obama-laughing.png (2MB, 1153x800px) Image search: [Google]
obama-laughing.png
2MB, 1153x800px
>>54422707
>he fell for having a family meme
>>
My DM did that too. I give him a list of what I want for a character, he comes back as a different race, with different backstory, different class even.

So I didn't show up.
>>
>>54422707
Punch the GM.
>>
Any DM who does this shit has no right to complain when every PC is a homeless orphan with no friends.
>>
>>54423941
I have a GM who specifically started doing shit this to "punish" orphans characters, which turned backgrounds into a no-win scenario if you don't like unnecessary drama.

>Tired of my characters' families getting killed for cheap drama
>Make a character who's an orphan
>Two other players do the same
>Suddenly, loan sharks start showing up that our dead parents owe debts to, our "dead" realatives start turning out to be bad guys and we start getting ostracized for it, and random hookers turn out to be blood relatives after they've been slept with
>>
File: IMG_1329.gif (785KB, 242x182px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1329.gif
785KB, 242x182px
>>54424139
Holy shit are you me?

>College friend drops D&D game and tells me that they have a spot open
>Says it "wasn't his kind of game" but that I might join it
>mightbecool.jpg
>He warns me that the GM has a bad habit of taking characters from backgrounds and fucking with them to "shock" the players
>As a precautionary measure, my dwarven fighter has dead parents, is already exiled, and no blood relatives
>As the game goes on, I watch as the GM mercilessly fucks with the other players' backstories
>Elven sorcerer's whole clan gets wiped while we're out adventuring
>The thief, who has clearly been enjoying roleplay scenes with a mentor NPC, gets betrayed by the mentor and has to kill him
>Cleric has already been exiled by his order over standing up to corrupt officials by the time I started the game
>Feeling vindicated and, admittedly, a little smug
>Suddenly, it turns out my character's dead dad faked his death and is the bad guy's lieutenant
>For some reason, this means I instantly lose all reputation I've built up with a bunch of different NPCs
>GM says that's what I get for making a "murderhobo backstory" since he can do whatever he wants with dead parents

I guess the only winning move really is not to play
>>
>>54422707
>be orphan
>DM adds a long lost little sister
>get connected with her
>DM later kills her in a cheap punch
Social links were a mistake.
>>
>>54424139
>>54424242
Death didn't solve, surely the answer is nonexistence.
>>
>>54422836
>"I guess my family aren't the people I thought they were and are dead to me now. No need to care about them anymore. Time to become a murderhobo since I don't have a reason to do anything else."
>>
File: star_wars.jpg (115KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
star_wars.jpg
115KB, 600x300px
>>54422707
>character's father was a damn war hero
>DM reveals he was a traitor and sold out for power
>fall in love with a princess
>DM reveals princess if your long lost sister
>taught by a wise mentor
>DM reveals the mentor knew everything the whole time and lied to you
>>
>>54424562
Fucking Jedi.
>>
>>54422707
Often actually. At least I 'reveal' things anyhow.

When doing this I focus on the player and what I think they might want. As I watch them play their character, can I make their background fit better?

Example: A player has 'dead parents from dead village'. After playing awhile she has a conversation with an NPC that is sort of a mentor. He reveals the deep hurt love background he has for another NPC, but in revealing the story about how all that happened...he reveals the background (death) of the PC mother. She didn't just 'die'. She was revealed to be a master stealthy rogue who was a master with the bow, died fighting a running battle against orcs fighting side by side with her friends when they wouldn't abandon etc etc etc.

The player is playing a max dex wood elf rogue/ranger focused on stealth and archery. She learned she 'takes after mom'. She (the player) loved it.

Dad stuff will be revealed later.

The point is, never fuck with the players about background stuff. Never. Not unless they specifically ask for it. Doing so causes them to disconnect from the game (in my opinion) and to only focus on the murder hobo stuff.
>>
File: Flesh Awaken.jpg (681KB, 634x2277px) Image search: [Google]
Flesh Awaken.jpg
681KB, 634x2277px
>>54424562
>>54424562
Could you explain TFA in this way?
>>
>>54422836
>He said that as DM my character backstory belongs to the game.

This is true, but as a GM he's supposed to incorporate (the best he can) a PC's backstory into the lore of the game, not rewrite the thing. You might as well have told him you had a father, mother, and sister, because that's as far as he was listening.

I have pulled the "Your war-hero father was a fraud" card on a player, (which eventually lead to his mother being accused of conspiracy and hanged) but it was never a fact. The PC's power hungry uncle was laying false charges and poisoning the PC against his own family.

Unfortunately my player took everything for face value and got pissed at me for "rewriting" his character...
>>
>>54422738
Hmm...

HMMM...
>>
File: 1498339173575.jpg (79KB, 426x306px) Image search: [Google]
1498339173575.jpg
79KB, 426x306px
>>54422836
>He said that as DM my character backstory belongs to the game.

No.
>>
>>54422734
You mean the pretend DM who did this. Yes, he talked to him, he's talking to him now, in fact.
>>
>>54424738
>The point is, never fuck with the players about background stuff. Never. Not unless they specifically ask for it.
This.
>>
>>54424787
>Wise last Jedi
>Such a shit trainer that his first student falls to the dark side
>Amazing pilot and smuggler
>Lets his kid fall to the dark side, then lets everyone on his crew save the competent dude get eaten
>Respected 'general'
>Lets her kid fall to the dark side, then wastes so much time looking for her brother that she doesn't even notice the giant superweapon that blows up her home country
>Had a franchise
>Gave it to a guy who only has a career because he was born into the industry
>>
>>54422707
>you make backstory
>instead of ignoring it, the DM gets invested on it and tries to make something interesting out of it

If you had another idea for your backstory NPCs you should have made it clear dude.
>>
>>54427388
Try
>you make backstory
>the DM creates an entirely different backstory only vaguely related

Clearly, the PC -did- have another idea, and equally clearly from other posts, the DM isn't interested in what his PCs want.
>>
>>54426417
>all /tg/ stories are lies
worst meme and you're the worst poster
>>
File: rondeatheater_2878.jpg (16KB, 350x274px) Image search: [Google]
rondeatheater_2878.jpg
16KB, 350x274px
>>54427388
>turning your kind mother into a warlock and your heroic father into a lich is interesting
Do you write fanfics by any chance?
>>
File: Fuckin Based.gif (762KB, 245x150px) Image search: [Google]
Fuckin Based.gif
762KB, 245x150px
>>54427335
Might have added something about still being a rebellion thirty years after toppling the previous regime.
>>
>>54422955
>the busty tavern wench cuddles up to you after a night of passionate love-making
>"you really are just like your father"
>she kisses your cheek and pats your crotch before tucking you in
>your GM looks you dead in eyes
>"welcome to the magical realm motherfucker."
>>
>DM:Does your character have parents?
>Player: No, they died. Even my siblings
>MANY SESSIONS LATER
>DM:A necromancer now controls your family
>Player: FUCK!
>>
>>54427443
quiet, OP. your lulz at putting one over on a bunch of prepubescent teens are not my concern, and your butthurt at getting your shitshow story shot to hell is even less.

>sister was sacrificed by his mother yet player believed she was kind
^trying this hard
>>
>>54431261
OP here.

I will ignore your meme and just say: did you miss the part that in backstory she was kind and that it was DM who changed it so my character sister was sacrificed?

If you had read you would see she was originally kidnapped by bandits.
>>
>>54422707
>>54426417
This.
Fake stories are alright. But this is going too far.

You've got to make it seem at least slightly plausible.
>>
>>54431542
Why it isn't plausible?
>>
>>54431696
>/tg/ regularly discuses whether PC's families/backgrounds are a good source of drama for a GM or a sacred cow, not to be touched without express permission.
>OP delivers a story that is the hardest straw-man for one side he can think off, then claims it's gospel truth.
>>
>>54431780
If /tg/ regularly discuss something is because this thing keeps happening. And I don't see how it's strawman when it's literally what happened.

Anon are you a DM per chance? Just because some DM are shit doesn't mean that all of them are. My last DM was pretty good for example.
>>
>>54431905
>. And I don't see how it's strawman when it's literally what happened.
I once fucked a girl into a coma. And that's not hyperbole, because it's literally what happened.
>>
>>54431780
>/tg/ regularly discuses whether PC's families/backgrounds are a good source of drama for a GM or a sacred cow, not to be touched without express permission.
>Everyone who plays /tg/ frequents /tg/
>>
The GM can't mess with your parents if your parents are dead.
>>
>>54432037
Read the thread, they totally can.
>>
>>54428175
does anyone have the screencap about the elf mother who takes the virginity of every human male in her family tree because they go on to have sons while she is immortal?

it awoke something within me last time i saw it and i'm not sure if it's from here
>>
>>54431998
I see you ignored the rest. As expected. The difference is that I know you are lying because you just said before.

But then anon, fine I am lying. Then what's the point of saying this? It's not like I can (or would, you aren't that important) prove it to you, nor can you disprove it, so please leave the thread and stop shitting on it.
>>
File: 1475370343871.png (278KB, 285x464px) Image search: [Google]
1475370343871.png
278KB, 285x464px
>>54432069
Okay then, I'll just play a Warforged.

You can't mess with my family if I don't even HAVE a family.
>>
>>54432037
Not really anon. Check the thread. Death is not a solution to a determined That DM.
>>
>>54432122
>Your designer
>A warforged made at the same time and place as you, effectively your sibling
>Etc.
>>
OP, post the character sheet or it didn't happen.

That should honestly be like the rule 0 of this dying board.
>>
>>54432122
>"you aren't actually a warforged, anon"
>takes off metal plate to reveal human underneath
>"this is your family also they're dead"
>"also you aren't actually a human, anon"
>takes off skin to reveal warforged underneath
>"and also your creator is a rapist"
>>
>>54432163
Keep this thread alive until Sunday and I will.
>>
>>54432122
>>54432189
This should have been OPs story.
>>
>>54424562
He was a good friend.
>>
>>54432310
Best friend. :^)
>>
File: 1497688638778.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1497688638778.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>54432156
>implying either of those matter to me

>"Mockery: Oh, Master, I do not trust you! I cannot trust you, or anyone else ever again!"
>>
>"Unable to cope with the fact that my entire life was an elaborate lie, I go to the tavern, drink some strong ale, then go to the stable and hang myself while screaming WHY, WHY, WHY?!"
Then you do this with every character DM fucks with. He wants cheap drama, you give him The Room.
>>
>>54422836
Your DM is pretty shit then.
>>
>>54422707
>Are you okay with the DM messing with your character relatives?

Yeah, I kind of expect it. Although it's important for you two to be on the same page so that nobody goes on /tg/ and makes threads like this. Obviously there was a line that your GM crossed that you didn't want crossed.

When I'm writing a backstory though, I pepper it with a few vague names and relationships specifically so that the GM has easy ways to hook my character's life into the "plot". Probably the biggest surprise I've got is when our GM had my character's brother show up in town--along with my entire extended family, which it turned out was incredibly extensive--and which hadn't existed prior to this point. All of that was prompted by "Brother in <TOWN NAME>; merchant".

He also, as an aside, had the brother mention "Oh, uh... I brought mom." in this awkward, apologetic voice, which prompted me to respond as though my character and his mother (who also had been a blank slate up 'til this point) were not on good terms.

It was a funny moment, and a lot of character-growth moments happened because of it. And, yeah, I was surprised. And, yeah, I didn't put most of those people in my backstory, and I certainly didn't mention that my character had issues with his parents, but hey. I spend a good amount of my time as a player surprising the GM, I figure it's only fair he gets to surprise me now and then. It's fun. And that character became more well-rounded and more a part of the broader world because of it.
>>
>>54432423
Best solution.
>>
>>54432077
Bumping this request
>>
>>54427335
It's like they made a point to cherry-pick all the worst parts out of the EU after wiping the slate clean to avoid continuity issues.
>>
>>54427335
To be fair, he's only following in Yoda's footsteps as a colossal fucking failure.
>Be wisest and oldest of jedi
>Have a fucking Sith Lord right under your nose as the goddamn CHANCELLOR
>Not realizing it's a bad idea to clone humans that are indoctrinated from the day they are born to never question authority
>Completely ignoring Anakin and his internal struggles
>Struggle for years taking out a few fucking pirates backed by some ostracized corporations and trade unions

Yoda was horrible. He singlehandedly brought the downfall of the Jedi. Luke had absolutely no chance of ever becoming a great mentor since that's the only example he could ever follow
>>
I might be guilty
>So in japan oriented fantasy one of my PC comes a family that traditionally inherits a certain shrine
>his dad was supposed to be a stern but fatherly shrine master
>make a "secret, banished older brother" subplot with said brother coming back for revenge on the old man
>justify It by making the dad an ambitious man who would sell his firstborn son for more influence and creating conflict between him and the older brother who refused to take a shit from anyone
>the rest of the family unchanged

Was that too much? The father is still a pretty okay guy except now there's this dark shadow over his past
>>
File: 1495160835429.jpg (512KB, 900x2541px) Image search: [Google]
1495160835429.jpg
512KB, 900x2541px
I have made these mistakes when I have been GM.

I HAVE LEARNED FROM YOU.

I WILL NOT MAKE THEM AGAIN.
>>
>>54432216
Please don't tell me.. the DM keeps everyone's sheets?
>>
As a DM, the only time I ever fuck with player's backstory is by revealing that they may or may not actually somehow be a Deep One hybrid.
>>
>>54433458

It makes a lot more sense if you assume he was the actual Darth Plagueis the whole time.
>>
>>54433554

I feel like today I have learned the Russian words for "What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?"
>>
>>54424345

most rational response in thread
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.