[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you build a setting/magic system off of kaballah/general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3835.jpg (350KB, 708x1002px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3835.jpg
350KB, 708x1002px
How would you build a setting/magic system off of kaballah/general Jewish mysticism?
I'm working on a way of spell casting based off of gematria where magic only works according to a combination of mathematical and symbolic logic.
>>
>>54420298
Rape and sacrifice children for Moloch, receive shekels and worldly power.
>>
>>54420298
I'm looking into this. What does it have to do with magic, it seems to mostly be a theological principle about acheiving oneness with God?
>>
>>54420298

Honestly, I wouldn't. It never works out. The most I would do is re-fluff.

Simply put, game systems are designed to fit the needs of games and real life systems aren't. Trying to mix the two is never really going to work.
>>
>>54420298
Well, the simplest way is to have ten schools (or nine, maybe, since reaching Keter means you're one with everything and not really doing so much as being), with each school corresponding to the themes of that Sephirot. So Gevurah would have the war magic, Chesed the healing and social magic, etc.

Or, another way you could do it is to go with the idea of the lightning path. The whole point of the Etz Hayim, the Tree of Life linking the Sephirah, is that it's a way to connect Keter (the purest divinity) at the top of the tree to Malkut (the physical world) at the bottom, with the path the light of god flows through determining how it manifests as it passes through the other eight Sephira. The path that corresponds to the human soul is a zig-zagging one that goes through all of them. But other paths are possible. So maybe give each Sephirot different traits it adds to the spell, and the path you take along the Tree determines the final spell. So if you go Keter-Binah-Gevurah-Tipheret-Hesod-Malkut, your spell would pick up the traits of understanding, judgement, glory and transformation on the path between divinity and reality. And then you'd have to figure out what sort of magic that makes for.

>>54420422
There's a Hebrew mythological tradition of "practical Kabbalists" that can use their knowledge of the divine to work miracles. Same basic idea as wizards.
>>
File: 1414543367367.gif (995KB, 245x193px)
1414543367367.gif
995KB, 245x193px
>>54420298
Vancian magic is indeed already inspired by Kaballah. The power of "true language" creating impossible feats, and this true language's unknowability in the fact that you and all present forget the words upon uttering them, remembering only the outward effect.
>>
kult. Play kult.
>>
>>54420298

GURPS Ritual Path Magic does this as an example, and I think even uses your pic as an illustration. Either that or Thaumaturgy. Someone in GURPS general will remember and have the PDF.

So yeah take a look. Even if you don't play GURPS it's a good resource to farm for ideas for whatever system and setting you use.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.