[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Combat takes forever no matter the system How can I make

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1488607400874.jpg (103KB, 964x964px) Image search: [Google]
1488607400874.jpg
103KB, 964x964px
>Combat takes forever no matter the system

How can I make combat in my campaigns take less time?
This shit always takes at least an hour.
>>
>>54406323
Play with players who know the rules.

Use a timer, they get 1 minute to announce what they are doing then it's over.

Play games where combat is either brutal and short, or designed to be fast.

get them to play Strike! is what I'm saying
>>
>>54406323
Use tools or one of your players to keep track of initiative.
Don't have every enemy fight to the death.
Know the rules.
Don't reference the source books for every question. Make a quick decision when a problem arises, then check between combats or sessions.
Have fewer combats, especially random encounters.
>>
>>54406323
Play one of the many systems in which combat is a one or two roll affair.
>>
>>54406323
>>Combat takes forever no matter the system

What systems have you used?
>>
>>54406547
>>54406585
Both of these are just papering over the fundamental issue that 90% of TTRPGs have overly detailed combat systems, lavishing rules on them in vast disproportion to other actions. Whereas most things are resolved in a single die rolls (even very long and involved actions like crafting), you end up rolling hundreds of time to resolve a simple situation once swords are involved.

>>54406719
Could you give examples of good ones? I am also interested in this.
>>
Cyberpunk 2020
>>
>>54406323
Stop playing 4e you idiot.
>>
>>54406841
>Both of these are just papering over the fundamental issue that 90% of TTRPGs have overly detailed combat systems, lavishing rules on them in vast disproportion to other actions. Whereas most things are resolved in a single die rolls (even very long and involved actions like crafting), you end up rolling hundreds of time to resolve a simple situation once swords are involved.

I wonder if that' maybe because combat is fun, exciting, and one of the oldest "games" ever, while hitting a piece of iron with a hammer 100 times to make a shovel is basically just work, hence boring as shit and can be glossed over.

>Could you give examples of good ones? I am also interested in this.

PbtA stuff comes to mind (except DW, where you only deplete HP, making combats last longer).
>>
File: de6.jpg (50KB, 680x364px) Image search: [Google]
de6.jpg
50KB, 680x364px
>>54406323
Make combat hard by utilizing the environment rather than increasing enemy stats.

Also pic related
>>
>>54407110
I do not know about you, but very few of the fights I have played out in RPGs are fun and exciting. You basically go around the table rolling to hit until the enemies go down and play can continue.
>>
>>54406323
Chess clocks, encourage people to plan when it's not their turn.

If they take 5 minutes to put the phone down, take it off them.
>>
>>54407236
There are systems where that's not all there is to a fight. But the ones where that is the case are all insanely popular, so it's no wonder you stumbled into those first.
>>
>>54407236
>I do not know about you, but very few of the fights I have played out in RPGs are fun and exciting. You basically go around the table rolling to hit until the enemies go down and play can continue.

This means that the fights are neither deadly/tense enough, or tactically deep.

I'm not saying I never had boring fights, but it sounds like your DM just throws sacks of HP at you. What games do you play?
>>
>>54406864
Cyberpunk 2020 isn't fast in itself as it's a medium crunch game. I can DM CP2020 combats incredibly quickly because I DM'd it for a long time and know most rules by heart. New groups that have to learn the system will take much longer.
>>
>>54407236
This tells me that your DM fucking sucks.
>>
>>54406547
1 minute??? I give my players like 10 seconds. If the player says nothing once the countdown is over, then his character misses its turn. NPCs act fast, too. This makes combat more dynamic. Also, learn your bloody games! If you plan on playing a campaign and invest hours in it, read the rulebook, understand the rules, identify what's where on the character sheets, etc.
>>
>>54406841
>Could you give examples of good ones? I am also interested in this.
As has been said most PbtA games have very quick and dramatic combat scenes. Then there are system like Burning Wheel which resolve fights in a single skill roll (although BW itself has an option for more detailed longer fights if you want to do that occassionally)
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.