[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys start your games off? I usually start off with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: dq9-inn_3573[1].jpg (111KB, 350x241px) Image search: [Google]
dq9-inn_3573[1].jpg
111KB, 350x241px
How do you guys start your games off? I usually start off with the characters in the middle of combat or a stressful social situation. I avoid "you're at an inn..." at all costs, but it's sometimes hard to think of starting situations that really start off on an active note.
>>
>>54404020
Too much combat gets boring anon.
I always start the party in a social gathering.
>>
>>54404091
I agree, that's why I'm looking for more situations. Basically just want to avoid the players standing around not knowing what to do at all costs.
>>
>>54404111
Throw the odds so hard against them that they have to find a non-combat way to solve a problem.
This keeps my games fresh.
Maybe they will die but it will be a lesson for future games.
>>
>>54404163
Forgot to add but you should also keep it believable.
Lets say the party has to steal something from a nobleman, have them meet enough guards that they would think twice about charging in like idiots.
>>
>>54404020
My last game started like this:
>Your lord walks into the dojo as you are about to face one of your clan brethren in a sparring match
>Short combat introductions to understand the mechanics more
>After you beat him, your Lord asks to speak with you privately
>follow him out and speak with him alone
>his old friend is in need of help: he asks you to go help, as he is currently tied up managing the city
>being a capable young warrior, accept the task and set out to meet the lord's friend
>end of session 0
>start of session 1 has my character meet the others on the road: chatting them up reveals they are all going to meet the same guy.
Easy as 1 2 3
>>
>>54404020

This one might be hard to pull off in medieval fantasy but...

In my Star Wars campaign, I started off my players in a space battle. They're hanging back at a space station to give support, since they're all apprentices under one master.

One enemy ship breaks off, and their master instructs them to intercept. The ship is heading to the only city on the planer below. On their way, the ship scanner picks up radiation--the enemy ship has nukes. The party won't make it in time if they don't hop into hyperspace. They do it, engage the ship, and an enemy fighter breaks off before the bigger ship is destroyed.

They eventually track the nukes down after a few fights, with the enemy and with wildlife on another planet.

Shit was good, and it's a million times better than starting at an inn. I'm going to try and always start my campaigns off with suspense like that.
>>
Some of my best games started with "and then the wall explodes, as a cannonball bursts into the room, vaporizing the ex-leader of your little company".
>>
>>54404020
Honestly depends on the characters' backstories. Sometimes my players co-ordinate on their origins, sometimes they have a shared background.

I do tend to try to put them into a situation that will let them show their character and group dynamics early on though.
>>
>>54404020
On the road, so you can have characters interact at the fire camp or literally on the road and you can quickly switch to battle if you want.
>>
>>54404020
Most of my games start with the entire party having taken the same job for some reason or another. Usually guarding some sort of caravan, even if only because they were heading that direction anyway.
>>
>>54404020
They should start in a tavern with none of them knowing eachother will get them.to actually roleplay (players are so shit at this a) l
There should be a mysterious silent hooded man in the corner who will in the course of the first session tell the party what there quest for the game is going to be and join them for it. But make him really silent broody and aggressive to start. Also he should be like a level 20 wizard who can get the party out of trouble when they're too dumb to work things out themselves or start sucking in combat. Also have a buxom wench serve them drinks. Everyone loves a buxom wench.

Also make the innkeeper like an ex soldier so hes a level 10 fighter/mage incase the party starts shit.
>>
>>54404020

The keys to getting someone involved in a story is to quickly establish the when, where, and what, then introduce an objective.

Is your campaign a ground pounding war story? The characters are infantrymen in the same company, and their captain just ordered them to assault a fortified enemy position. Take the hill.

Is it an intrigue and spy game? You are at the duke's ball, and you have to gain entry to his study and break into his safe to steal the McGuffin, all the while ingratiating yourself to the various NPCs.

And so on and so forth.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.