[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be possible to translate the mechanics of old school

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Would it be possible to translate the mechanics of old school real-time strategy games (base-building, resource gathering) into a tabletop wargame?
>>
>>54403018
>*(base-building, resource gathering, army building)

Added for clarity's sake.
>>
>>54403029
Don't see why not.

Take however many Resources you want.

CandC for example would use Tibernium and Base Power.
Warcraft is Gold. Wood and Population.
Etc.

Decide on some basic buildings.
>Need A to build Workers to gather whatever Resources.
>Need B to build more workers/buildings for workers or more people in general in A makes workers.
>Need C to build more peoples.
Peoples can either fight or maybe build as well or do whatever.
Give them basic stats like
Move 3 Damage 1 Armour 0 Maybe a leadership or something or whatever else you want.
Have buildings to get upgrades give the base people bonus or equipment.
>>
>>54403029
Risk, SC, A&A.

Classic RTS had its time to shine, but its failure to return despite many efforts show the reason why it disappeared in the first place: it gets old fast.

AoE had a bunch of game mods and more focus on different resources to get around this, while WC and SC added micro to single units and heroes to keep things interesting, while having an enjoyable SP experience due to variety of goals and situations during missions.

But C&C and its clones really offered very little to the whole "spam some units and lead the blob" apart from the odd "defend here" or the stealth missions.
>>
>>54403018
Rogue Trader does that, sort of, if the players and the GM want.
>>
>>54403018
Sure. Use egg timers.

Each player gets twoor three egg timers, the game board denotes actions like Get Resource, Build Troop, Attack, Defend.

To do the action, place down an egg timer.

When the time runs out, you can do the action.
>>
>>54403018
Codex does something like this.

You got workers who gather resources and you "tech" cards from your deck, build tech buildings, etc.

It's mostly based on WC3, and is not really a wargame (it doesn't use terrain, it just has zones), but it could be a good base to check.
>>
KANE LIVES IN DEATH

TIBERIUM TWILIGHT IS HERESY

TIBERIUM WARS was ok, I guess.
>>
DoW did it the other way around so I don't see why not
>>
>>54403076
This. Sadly. I played in the golden days of SC, WC 2 and 3, C&C Gold and Tiberian Sun, Company of Heroes, and AoE 2.

Tried Company of Heroes 2 and dropped quickly. Felt unengaging.
>>
>>54403076
>>54406327
SC:BW is legit good. There's whole essays detailing why it's engaging (and why SCII failed to recapture it).

And yes, the fact that you can right-click death-blob in modern RTS games is one of the reasons why they are so unengaging.

>>54403229
Seconding this. It uses card management instead of APM, but basically captures the (competitive) essence of the genre best. Could have been exciting with different maps, but is pretty good as-is.
>>
the problem is rts games don't require tactical skill, so you won't need the map and a nuanced ruleset will just slow the game down

it's been done. Space Empires: 4X comes to mind
>>
>>54406531
>There's whole essays detailing why it's engaging (and why SCII failed to recapture it).
Have links? Would love to see analysis of something I can only feel.

C&C is excellent as lore, so playing in the universe as individual characters would be better than adapting RTS-to-TTRPG.
>>
>>54413995
There's so much that went into Starcraft that it's crazy. Like they could have had endless amounts of guys in drag boxes like CandC but decided they'd rather do 12 man units since it was more tactical.
A lot of the movement is wonky because it's based on isometric design but that always means that buildings have optimal placements due to how they fit on the grid.
There's all kinds of stuff like that. Like the miss chance when shooting up cliffs.

Old games were good because the games weren't perfect but those odd things you could do made them really interesting.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.