[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just played Red Dead Redemption and now I have a hunger for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 5

I just played Red Dead Redemption and now I have a hunger for stuff involving the Old West and American Frontier in general. Specifically stuff involving frontiersmen, fur trappers, and survivalist types, but also Bandits and Outlaws, train robbers, etc.

What systems are best suited for this, and have the best associated fluff?
What books, movies, and games should I check out for more of the setting?
>>
>>54398654
I hear a lot about Deadlands and Dogs in the Vineyard, but this kind of setting never was my kind of stuff. Maybe you should check it out.
>>
Watch a few of the classic western films. The Good the Bad and The Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More.

I haven't played them personally, but try the Call of Jaurez games. If you can find it, an older game called Samurai Western for the PS2. Oh, and Red Dead Revolver.
>>
>>54398766
>Deadlands
Is best setting. Strongly recommended regardless of what people are actually wanting to play.
>>
File: duck.jpg (74KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
duck.jpg
74KB, 600x600px
>>54398654
Mythras + M-Space + the RQ Firearms supplement will run just about anything fairly well.

Beyond that, Dogs in the Vineyard is exactly what you're looking for, and definitely worth playing.
>>
File: wyeth,nc_sheriff_s12.jpg (94KB, 500x763px) Image search: [Google]
wyeth,nc_sheriff_s12.jpg
94KB, 500x763px
>>54399359
I don't like the idea of fantasy mixed in. I assume I could still just ignore the magic zombie stuff?
>>
File: red sun.jpg (155KB, 1280x836px) Image search: [Google]
red sun.jpg
155KB, 1280x836px
>>54398654
Aces & Eights is an awesome, but *EXTREMELY* crunchy system. It's a great game for running more down-to-earth adventures, where there might not be a gun fight for three sessions and most of the game is about travelling the wilderness, making double-deals in saloons or finding a good claim to mine for gold.
Still, it's an absolutely beautiful game with very extensive research and obvious love for the setting. It takes place in more-or-less the real world, in a slightly alternate history where the American Civil War happened ten years earlier and ended in a Confederate victory, Texas remains independent, and several Native nations banded together and formed their own country.
Basically the idea is that the setting is tweaked from the real world for maximum chaos/shenanigans and the least chance of one powerful government sending its troops in to clean things up.

If you want a smoother system, more-or-less any generic will do. I like BRP, which can be modded to be a bit less deadly than a standard Call of Cthulhu game while still making getting shot a bad call, but I'm sure things like GURPS would work just as well.

For books:
>Blood Meridian, a very weird, super violent Cormac Mcarthy book about scalp hunters
>The Sisters Brothers, a surprisingly heart warming story about a pair of assassins in the Old West

Hmm, shit I haven't actually read that many westerns...

For Movies:
>The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
>True Grit
>Ulzana's Raid
>High Noon
>The "Dollars" trilogy

There's also the tv series "Deadwood", and Ken Burns did a documentary about the West too.
>>
>>54398654
Hell on Wheels
>race between two companies to build transcontinental railroad
>chief o'brien as shady cheaty greedy tycoon
>anson mount as sorta honorable former confederate soldier
>some huge norwegian as a creepy no-qualms-about-murder former union soldier
>common as freeman prime
>injun shit
>freemen shit
>US army reviving barely-old grudges with former confederates
>frontier churches and truly best girl
>brothels and saloons
>a town that moves with the end of the rails
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.