[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 33

File: Rogue Trader McDuck.png (1013KB, 676x772px) Image search: [Google]
Rogue Trader McDuck.png
1013KB, 676x772px
"Bad Astartes" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.0.0) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/sbaiodixbeoxxd1

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: >>54304360

What is your favorite weapon that is NOT in the official RPG books, and you would try to get / acquire if your GM let you? Things like volkite, arc, radium weaponry, etc.
>>
File: 1355598761083.jpg (50KB, 548x518px) Image search: [Google]
1355598761083.jpg
50KB, 548x518px
Does anyone have an OEF copy of The Lathe Worlds? The one in the mega is just a bad scan.
>>
>>54394163
>What is your favorite weapon that is NOT in the official RPG books, and you would try to get / acquire if your GM let you? Things like volkite, arc, radium weaponry, etc.

The various admech guns are pretty cool, but really you can't go wrong with a Best-Craftmanship Hellgun or a pair of Hand Cannons with red-dots and Man-stopper bullets.

>>54394248
I just skimmed over it, but this link seems to be pretty good, though I don't know what /tg/ thinks of mediafire.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?jbeb2ty4hx8kxcc
>>
>>54394364

Its legit! Thank you, my anonymous friend.
>>
>>54394668
I'm not your friend, pal.

No problem, appreciative anon.
>>
File: Myrmadon-destructors2.jpg (105KB, 800x680px) Image search: [Google]
Myrmadon-destructors2.jpg
105KB, 800x680px
>>54394248

TECH-PRIESTS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE CUTE
>>
Has anyone played as Dark Eldar using the Dark Kin supplement? What was it like? Would you do it again?
>>
>>54396140

I find the rules generally okay, but the Corruption track for combat drugs is a problem. There's no way to remove Corruption in RT, and as a Dark Eldar player I want to use combat drugs, yet using combat drugs on a regular basis quickly ends your character from the corruption.
>>
>>54395104
Except the ones that are supposed to be able to pass for a normal human right?
>>
>>54396572
If your GM let's you pull rules from other books, DH 1E has Ascension, which mentions that the GM should allow the player to buy off Corruption and Insanity at 100 EXP per point (or 50 EXP per point if the GM is feeling generous toward characters with higher amounts), take 2 points of perma characteristic damage to one of their characteristics to reduce their Insanity or Corruption by 1d10 points, or trade Insanity for Corruption and vice versa.
>>
>>54396572
I haven't looked through the book yet, how do corruption and insanity affect Eldar characters?

For that matter, how do they affect other xenos like Tau (or maybe even Orks)?
>>
>>54394163
Wow, that image needs better contrast around the ROGUE TRADER title. It's impossible to read as a thumbnail.

Anyway, what do I need to put into a homebrew 40k setting to bring it to life to players?
>>
>>54394364
We need to update the MEGA with that.
>>
LIVE

Is there a Roman Numeral combination that would look like that? I think an Only War regiment that has that on their banner, and it's their regiment number, would be really cool.

The LIVE Naked Catachans or something
>>
>>54394364
I've been looking for a OEF version for forever man. Thanks!
>>
File: 1384037867385.jpg (177KB, 382x550px) Image search: [Google]
1384037867385.jpg
177KB, 382x550px
>>54396140
I've run two All Dark Eldar parties (one currently ongoing) and it's worked out so far. I've also allowed Shas'O's alternate careers from his homebrew PDFs. Problems that have come up include >>54396572, the lack of any fellowship-based skills until later ranks (Makes charming/deceiving in Commorragh much harder), and massive defenses (shield/dodge, actual dodge, armor+Toughness) later on around Rank 4 or 5
>>
I have an Idea for Hiver Scum backstory for DH, wanted to pitch it here to find out if it was either interesting... or rife with autism

>Be some goddamn underhive orphan
>picked off of the street by a mafia wannabe gang
>Gang called "The Schola of Scum", a jab that its made of the kids of the unwanted, instead of the children orphaned in the name of the Emprah
>"Curriculum" consists of learning how to lie, cheat, steal, murder, survive, and pray for the success of the previous 5 things.
>Shit is harsh, but fair to the kids that are: A, willing to please the family. B, useful little shits.
>grow up in this environment

fast forward 10 years

>Survived training, jobs, attacks, and the Arbies.
>Gang has grown significantly, most kids are either teens or young adults and become somewhat autonomous.
>Gang continues to recruits kids to ensure maximum loyalty and respect to the family
>gang is targeted by upstart rival, that doesnt care about frivolous things such as "respect", "decency", "community", and "kids".
>The Schola of Scum's structure and power structure is fucking obliterated by gangs that dont care for protocol or rules... the Laws of Grimdark trump everything. And anything that loves children isnt Grimdark
>Remaining members band together to murder anyone involved
>somewhat successful in the Murder,
>Hive runs red with enough blood to gain attention of Arbies, and PDF
>near indiscriminate revengekilling continues, waaaaay too much attention now.
>old members are dead, dying, captured by THE LAW, captured by gangs. General shitstorm on all sides
>Few survivors decide that a poorly armed and uncoordinated group with zero support will likely not continue to exist much longer
>Anyone with half a brain and 2 thrones to rub together attempt to GTFO offworld to another hive
>Some members successful, and managed to bribe or threaten their way into cargo holds
>CHARNAME one of the few, off to whatever planet the rest of the players are on. Armed only with a Hecutor
>>
Is that fag who made the Union army Imperial Guard regiment still around? I have another song for him.

It is to the tune of "Marching Through Georgia." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pMRLnSYWbQ)

Bring the good old bugle, boys, we'll sing another song
Sing it with a spirit that will start the world along
Sing it as we used to sing it, 50 million strong
While we were marching on Cadia.

Chorus:
Hurrah! Hurrah! We bring the jubilee!
Hurrah! Hurrah! Destroying heresy!
So we sang the chorus from the Kasrs to the sea

How the gangers shouted when they heard the joyful sound
How the trakis gobbled which our commissary found
How the apple-peaches even started from the ground

Chorus

Yes there were Imperium men who wept with joyful tears,
When they saw the honored flag they had not seen for years;
Hardly could they be restrained from breaking forth in cheers,

Chorus

"Gen’ral Creed’s Imperium boys will never stop our blight!"
So the saucy traitors said and 'twas a handsome sight
Had they not forgot the forces of the Emp’ror’s might

Chorus

So we made a thoroughfare for Imperium and her train,
Six hundred miles in latitude, three million to the main;
Treason fled before us, for resistance was in vain

Chorus
>>
>>54399446
They're the LIV regiment, and the 5th regiment to bear the number. Administratum for their subsector denote this with an alphabetic system. LIV E
>>
Any helpful tips for a first time Only War GM?
>>
>>54401830
Don't be afraid of a TPK, but don't aim for it either.
>>
This week only 2 Deathwatch players out of 5 could be there so I had them do a little sidequest

>Dark Angel apothecary is looking for a disappeared DA Captain who was on a track to find a fallen
>knows that the captain's last known contact was with a Rogue Trader named Deckard Diokus
>had stolen a datacore about another RT named Andrea Aaron, who is into cold trade behind a pretty lawful facade
>convinces the UM Devastator to come with him under the guise of "getting intel and stopping the cold trade"
>they pull a favor from an inquisitor to carry them to a meet up with Andrea Aaron
>DA says flat out they will help her getting xenos artifacts but only if they can attest they aren't dangerous first
>UM holds his codex tightly but says nothing
>RT show them the artifacts, mostly useless eldar shit, but there's a soulstone
>both of them fail the knowledge test and they dismiss it as a bauble
>RT tell them contact has been cut with the expedition who found the artifacts
>DA says they will help her in exchange for intel, especially about the other Rogue Trader
>fast forwards to the camp
>all the expedition has been killed by laser weapons, no trace of the leader
>they enter the ruins, full psychic fuckery
>get ambushed by eldar constructs in a little corridor
>good fights, they manage to get back in the main room a bit maimed
>Archont is waiting for them
>UM barely kills DA due to psychic fuckery
>she asks for the stone
>UM doesn't want to negociate but he got shitty willpower, DA doesn't want to be killed by his teammate so gives in and orders the RT to send the stone in exchange for her leaving the planet (a jungle outpost) and never return
>RT gives them the intel she promised, namely hints on two worlds infiltrated by tyranids, and how to contact the other RT
>DA cheats at cards against an officer, he gets told a rumour about a place with planets rich beyond measure
It was their first mission that didn't end up in a clear-cut victory
>>
>>54401853
Ok, also I haven't really understood myself on how the requisition stuff works. Do I just give them their standard issue stuff when they roll good, and just a few stuff if they roll bad?
>>
How does the portable lascannon work? Do I have to wear a backpack power source?
>>
>>54401986
According to table 6-4. Bonuses and penalties to non-mission logistics tests affected by table 6-2 should generally be settled into a final modifier unless if things change such as another regiment arriving or a big victory or defeat.
>>
>>54402100
Bringing the light of the emperor in a larger package. No, but you will have to lug around 5.5 kg batteries for it, so it is probably worth getting one for it.
>>
File: IMG_2462.jpg (66KB, 541x873px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2462.jpg
66KB, 541x873px
Do you guys think this will work as a premise for my players first game of only war?

The planet of Dolfus Actus used to be an important mining world for the Imperium, but 10 years ago all contact was lost, and the Imperium didn't have until recently the resources to investigate the planet, until now. A small recon regiment had been sent to the planet in order to investigate why it had lost contact. But when they arrived they noticed that the Governor and his entourage of greedy nobles had turned away the light of the Emperor and declared themselves independent of the Imperium. Your duty as a regiment is to restore order and reclaim the planet, ave Imperiator.

All of that will be told as a sort of intro/mission briefing by the commander as they are on route to the planet
>>
>>54402394
Wouldn't finding out what happened be the territory of the inquisition?
>>
>>54402403
Maybe the commander has been mandated by the inquisition, takes order from an inquisitor, or is an inquisitor himself.
>>
>>54402403
I got it covered. A inquisitor has been conducting an undercover investigation for 10 years I hopes of getting close to a cult and destroy it from the inside. But the arrival of the Imperial guard was unexpected and unwanted for the Inquisitor. He had hoped that his acolytes offworld had delayed the administratum long enough not to notice that the planet had gone of the radar
>>
>>54402435
You could have two inquisitors : the undercover thorian tryinbg to root out the cult and the militant monodominant ordering the regiment

And an Istvaanian having set up the whole rebellion in the first place
>>
>>54402460
I think I will just stick with one, as this will mostly be an optional storyline the PC's can follow if they can figure out that an Inquisitor is on the planet in the first place
>>
is there any drawback to using flamers without training? there is no BS test on firing them
>>
>>54402667
Easier to dodge.
>>
My acolyte cell will in about two session probably find an old recruiting astartes tower, obviously really ancient and overtaken by jungle of Enkidu.

What dangers should be within except for murder servitors, tarantulas?

What chapter do you propose it should be and what treasure should await for them, if any?
>>
>>54403302
toxic plants that release death gas/spores when they step on them
>>
>>54403302
How old are we talking?
>>
>>54403464
Probably to m39 or m40. Long abandoned by the chapter, forgotten by everyone except for the locals.
>>
>>54403524
Maybe roll up your own chapter and them as the previous owners?
>>
>>54403577
Well I would prefer one that is estabilished to be frank
>>
>>54403606
Alright then, how about a salamander owned building?
>>
>>54403618
Could work. Any extras inside that should be there?
>>
>>54403648
Maybe lava pits, automatic weapon testing chambers, an old delusional space marine in stasis, etc
>>
>>54403680
Alright, thanks anon
>>
>>54403702
Also make them use unconventional way to traverse the tower, for example; they are walking up a stairway when suddenly it starts to fall apart due to rust and decay. So now then maybe have to climb on all the cables, pipes and other stuff stick out in the wall in order to get up further. Or maybe a button to open a door also activates a floodgate that starts to flood the section they are in, so they need to go up towards the next bulkhead or they will drown
>>
>>54403741
Ooh, yes. I thought about the stairs, but the flood will certainly add tension. Great ideas
>>
>>54403746
I got more ideas;
An old cognator, overgrown with various plants, if activated it will display a last known message, the message itself is the last know position of the planets/chapters battlebarge that has said to been lost for over a 1000 years

Inside a chamber protected by turrets, but they are facing the door, not the hallway, there are also many purity seals on the walls and doors, almost like protective wards. Inside the room there is a figure, suspended my an aincent grav field. The figure itself is a possessed astartes that has been turned into a daemons host. And it want out

An old docking port with a single ship inside, inside the ships cockpit are the skeletal remains of two chapter serves who seems to have killed each other in an attempt to take the ship for themselves
>>
>>54403869
It's great. I wonder if I should add up some deadly animals too.
>>
>>54403939
Sure, some native fauna is always great
>>
Question, would a techmarine know how to perform the Rite of pure thought on someone else ? Is it absolutely reserved to followers of the omnimessiah ? How would you handle it ingame?
>>
>>54404622
Depends on the techmarine.
>>
1st ed Dark Heresy books suggested to give Corruption Points for actions like shooting at civilians, or even liking theatrical act where one actor kills another one. 2nd Dark Heresy books Corruption Points are given for Warp shit only. How do you manage Corruption Points in your game?
>>
So one of my players pissed off eldars real bad. Who should the knife eared send to avenge theirs kinsmen? Rangers? Warp Spiders?
>>
>>54404716
What would be the requirements ? The techmarine wants to take the Rite for himself and is a lot into the "flesh is weak" mentality, but I don't know what are the prerequisites, and who can perform it.
>>
>>54404800
This would definitely ask for high Tech-Use, Medicae, Tech and AdMech lore at least.
>>
>>54404825
What about the implant itself, would that be hard to find ?
>>
>>54404781
Depends on details. But if they really hate him they can contact Haemonculi or mandrakes to hunt him down. His fate will be much more terrible than mere death.
>>
>>54404926
He smashed the farseers skull in while being possessed by a daemon, obviously eldar are to arrogant to see the whole truth
>>
>>54404924
Finding it can become a quest in itself. Asking local admechs would be useful.
>>
>>54404987
I feel that my players will probably just try to shoot this Lord General Ebongrave dead rather than trying to "fix" his paranoia.
>>
>>54405026
that is ironically the best solution
>>
>>54404755
Corruption is the Warp for me, and it always has been. I don't recall DH1 stating otherwise. If you're doing whacky Halo Device shenanigans, you're gaining Insanity Points. Splicing Xeno grafts? Insanity Points and a refluffed mutation to represent it, but not Corruption Points.
>>
>>54406214
'Rejoice for you are true' have at least two instances of non-warp corruption situations. One if someone shoots heretic ignoring the crowds and another if someone like play where some underhiver is killed.
>>
>>54404967
>eldar are to arrogant to see the whole truth

Or filthy mon'keigh is too weak to fight the daemon or kill himself for the sake of others.

Now serious. Only thing more valiable than farseer is avatar itself. I'd say they will not send anyone. Instead they'll lure him into a trap (there are other farseers after all). Some series of events that lead the offender into their territory where they can do anything they want with him and any other unfortunate soul who will be near him.
>>
>>54404781
The players have pissed off the Eldar really bad in my Rogue Trader game too. I won’t go into details, but through a long series of events they ended up ramming and almost destroying the personal cruiser of a corsair prince and stole a bunch of corrupted soul stones with the intent of selling them to another Rogue Trader.

What should the “appropriate” response be for such transgressions?

As an aside, the players all horribly failed multiple lore rolls to know what soul stones are, so all they're aware of is that they're incredibly valuable.
>>
>>54406712
Corrupted soulstones you said? I can see stones corrupting the crew making them posessed. They'll die in a ritualistic orgy to summon keeper of secrets. Later after some fighting harlequins attack the daemon ignoring the crew, maybe even helping them. When all is over their leader thank the captain for doing dirty work and leaves PCs in half destroyed ship.
>>
File: comissar pinup.jpg (115KB, 681x1034px) Image search: [Google]
comissar pinup.jpg
115KB, 681x1034px
>>54400781
Sounds good, I like it quite a bit. Fits well with a standard gangster film, but set on a hive world.
I'm curious, does the Schola of Scum give them any form of standard religious education? I'd guess they aren't regular church goers, but it might be fun to give him rules like "Never harm a preacher" or something like that. Basically, a sneaky dude with a lot of unpalatable skills who also has some really strict rules that he's extremely reluctant to break.
>>54400822
Not him, but this is fantastic. I particularly like how Imperials pretty much never talk about "Freedom" as a good thing, it's always about loyalty and punishment for resistance. I love it.
I was working on adapting the lyrics of "The Haughs o' Cromdale" to be about the Imperial Guard. I might post what I got later.
>>54403302
Mortificators, the Flesh Tearers or one of the other creepy chapters. A chapter from the Cursed Founding like the Black Dragons or the Sons of Antaeus would be good. Maybe a Dark Angels successor, with the possibility of the acolytes finding out something they Should Not Know as well as some sweet treasure. As far as treasure goes, a damaged Relic Blade, a portable Cogitator with extensive combat training data, or a data slate with schematics for advanced power armor maintenance/creation could be good. Useful, but not incredible things.
Maybe the tower was abandoned in a hurry, and in the chaos of the astartes flight a small amount of geneseed was left behind. The geneseed was mutated, and had been ear-marked for return to Mars for study and destruction, so the Astartes assumed it had been destroyed in their flight. However, instead some of it has been consumed by a particularly aggressive local species, causing it to grow to particularly monstrous proportions and granting it functional immortality. The beast is a local legend now, and its grotesque brood stalk around the tower as their nesting place.
>>
Do any of the books have anything on armor customization? I see stuff in the lore like "this set of flak armor is reinforced with extra ceramite" or something similar? Mostly trying to see if there's more sorts of customization options I can give to my players.
>>
>>54408244
Check Black Crusade, it has some customization.
>>
>>54394163
Best movies for Dark Heresy mood and tone?
>>
>>54408244
Hostile Acquisitions for Rogue Trader has upgrades for armor.
>>
>>54406380
>if someone shoots heretic ignoring the crowds and another if someone like play where some underhiver is killed.
>Inquisitor declares Exterminatus
>immediately turns into a Chaos Spawn

Shit don't make sense brah. Corruption is warp fuckery. End of.
>>
>>54408244
All three Enemies books for 2e have armor mods.
>>
>>54407578

A-hyup on the general rules. Religious teachings were limited to:
>don't fuck with priests
>don't fuck with holy symbols
>don't fuck with anything that the Emperor wouldn't fuck wit
>always carry an Ecclesiarchy bible, even if you can't read it.

I figured these would be general enough for the Schola of Scum. As it's focused on making kids useful formost, written language may got get taught as fast as say, rites of weapon maintenance, or being unseen in a crowd.
>>
>>54408292
>Damnatus
>unironically the answer to a question beginning with "best movie..."

Truly a day of days.
>>
Assuming Marine's body is recovered, what are the burial rites in Deathwatch?
>>
>>54410106

i thought extraction and preservation of the Geneseed basically covered this.

if it was a great hero, cremation in holy fire?

if it was an EPICALLY FUCKING AWESOME HERO, interment into a Dreadnought sarcophagus.
>>
>>54409314
Non-40k movies as well? Need MOAR watch material
>>
>>54406172
It would throw the whole salient in the shitter. It would make for good plots hooks tho.
>>
File: mayonnaise.png (452KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
mayonnaise.png
452KB, 640x480px
Question. If I pick up the Deathwing Terminator Advanced Specialty in Deathwatch, it says I gain a set of Terminator Armour and refers me to the part of the corebook where they talk about standard-issue gear.

Do I or don't I get the Terminator armor as standard-issue? Do or don't I need to pay the Requisition cost for it?
>>
>>54411946
Requirements: Dark Angels only, Rank 4 or more, Terminator Honours (the Crux Terminatus)
Cost: 3000 XP

You don't because Crux Terminator is a distinction and you really need to work your ass off to get it.
>>
>>54411651
You'd be surprised, but one of the premade adventures offers this opportunity. If it's handled well, apparently nothing too bad happens.
The rulebook plainly states mid-adventure "players can shoot him now if they want lol" alternatively offering a convoluted plot to have him removed.
>>
>>54411983
The question assumes I already have the Crux Terminatus. Even if you have the Crux, under normal circumstances you still need to pay Requisition for terminator armor. The question I was asking is whether a Deathwing Terminator has to still pay the Requisition cost for it. The book strongly implies you don't (referring you to the page where the corebook specs' standard-issue gear is, saying that the weapons attached to the suit must be requisitioned or taken as Signature Wargear which implies the armor doesn't, et cetera).
>>
>>54410967
A very few I can name right now: Dark City, Phantasm, Spectral, The Void, Sphere, Event Horizon, The Thing, In the Mouth of Madness
And literally every sci-fi and spy movie (if you're aiming for investigation-based adventure) in the existance, but don't limit yourself cause inspiration can sometimes be drawn from sources, not even closely related to the subject
>>
>>54412016
What adventure is that ? Honestly I didn't knew there was one, I simply made a reference about him endangering the Canis Salient progression with his paranoia and my players caught on. I think Tetrarchus' plan is to offer him a Warrant of Trade to get rid of him but I want to let the players choose if they want to "fix him".
>>
File: Not sure if outrageous.jpg (47KB, 440x379px) Image search: [Google]
Not sure if outrageous.jpg
47KB, 440x379px
>>54412578

>tfw our game has switched from political wrangling amongst the achillus crusaders and undoing tau subterfuge to ESCAPE THE FUCKING RIFT because the GM follows canon closely
>>
>>54410967
Starship troopers?
>>
>>54412578
Rising Tempest. It's mostly great and I'm thinking about running it myself
>>
>>54411946
Yes you do, just like ravenwing veterans get a bike
>>
>>54408292
Specifically for Dark Heresy?

Tinkor, Tailor, Soldier Spy is really good about building paranoia, conducting an investigation while under hostile supervision, and facing a hidden threat.
>>
Is takedown in DH2e considered an attack action?
>>
>>54415090
Yes.
>>
>>54414039

Since you've got some experience with Rising Tempest, I'm thinking about integrating it into my upcoming campaign, but I was wondering about what you think is the right thing to do if, upon the players reaching the Sororitas cloister/stronghold, there *are* members of the kill-team who regard the emperor as a god. There's both a Black Templar and a Blood Jaguar in my group, and they both are quite clear on the Emperor's divinity in their chapter beliefs (even if they despise each other).
>>
Which would hurt more in your last moments, being hit by a multimelta at close range or being hit by a plasma cannon on maximal?
>>
>>54417671

In both cases you'd be dead so fast it wouldn't matter. I think you'd die before the nerves conducted pain.
>>
>>54414039
I'll take a look at this.
>>
>>54408244
Radical's Handbook onwards if you're playing DH1e, not all in one source unfortunately...
>>
>>54410967
Blade Runner for hive city feeling...
>>
This saturday I am going to be playing a Rogue Trader game, my plan is to go in and play as an Ork any suggestions?
>>
>>54421055
Unless it's a Deff Watch campaign just don't do it.
I've ran/played with Orks on RT ships and they end up isolated on the ship 90% of the campaign.
>>
>>54421543
well I'm playing the game with long time friends of mine and I might try to play a deffskulls mekboy or maybe a blood axes kommando I don't think I will be abandoned on the ship. But I will see
>>
>>54421055
Embody Gork. That is to say, be the most stereotypical Ork you kan be, smashing up everyone who isn't your humie Kaptin or one of his boyz, saving up your enemies' teef for becoming a proppa Freeboota, smashin' any gits that look at you funny.

Alternatively, and rather more interestingly, be a representative of Mork. Be the mos' kunning on board the humie Krooza. Use threats to get your way instead of smashing faces for weak little humie teef, they're worthless. Talking fings out and getting gits to think you're "siv'lized" will pay off in the long run.

Both could be sources of fun, although you could piss off your fellow players if you come on too strong, so to speak.
>>
>>54421632
sounds like fun I might go with the Mork one since that will go along with the party
>>
>only played DH
>afraid RT space combat rules are really complicated
>realize they arent bad at all

great
>>
>>54414039
>>54419313
I read the first part and it's a pretty great adventure to get them into politicking. My players have operated a few times against the Tau and had great victories, it could be interesting to put the in a moral dilemma : if Ebongrave stays or if Vann gets into power, there won't be any talks with the Tau, yet if Othram gets into power of if Tetrarchus gets his hands back on the salient, peace may happen.

For once it will be different from the "black and white" missions they are assigned to.
>>
>>54421811
I am afraid too. Could you help me anon?
>>
>>54410967
Ghost In The Shell films and series always make me think of dark heresy
>>
Anyone has experience playing as a Ordo Sepulturum cell?
And an Adeptus Fidicius investigation team?
>>
>>54421811
That's good to hear.

Converting that shit to the OW standard for my group/future use and haven't given those rules a thorough read yet
>>
File: 1497891113703.jpg (20KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1497891113703.jpg
20KB, 350x350px
>want to play dark heresy
>nobody I know who plays tabletop wants to play anything but dnd 5e
>despite never being used for the last 2.5 years my dark heresy corebook is falling apart
>>
>>54423581

if they won't play then abandon them. find new players online.

>b-b-but muh friends

then the problem lies with you
>>
>>54423581
hey man I hear you, I thought I'd never get to play any of my 40k roleplay games again either, but go figure I am buying the Book of Fate and suddenly I get the undivided attention of my FLGS's 40k tabletop community.

Next thing I know I'm running a Black Crusade campaign for five players.
>>
File: chaos sister.jpg (334KB, 1024x1436px) Image search: [Google]
chaos sister.jpg
334KB, 1024x1436px
>>54408292
Dredd is pretty good for the feel of a Hive city.
Blade Runner is good for the cyberpunky, investigation feel.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is great for the conspiracy angle.
Franklin is a very odd movie, but half of it takes place in a weird steampunk theocracy, so it might be worth checking out.
>>
>>54408292
>Best movies for Dark Heresy mood and tone?
Actually I have a similar question, but for Black Crusade rather than Dark Heresy.
>>
>>54421543

It can work. You need a perfect storm of players who can work with it, a player who understands it, and a GM that can handle it.
>>
So my players are demanding that I run rogue trader for them and I only have experience running more lethal, low powered games with Warhammer fantasy, D&D and Dark Heresy.

How should I handle the higher power level for rogue trader and what tips do you have for running a rogue trader game in general?
>>
>>54426345

decide if you want to have an overarching plot or random exploration

decide if you want political all human game or if you allow xenos

get stats of inequity for exploring

make them fight necrons
>>
>>54426479
any advice on places to draw inspiration from? Films, books etc?
>>
>>54426929
Bodacious Space Babes
space pirate captain harlock
Cowboy Beebop
Pirates of the Caribbean
Treasure Planet
Titan A.E.

I think you get the idea.
>>
>>54426988
Do you think Master and Commander might be a good idea to draw inspiration from, Maybe have them pursuing an Elder or some other Alien vessel, then build that premise an episodic campaign of planet hoping etc, with every now and then the enemy vessel showing up to attack them?
>>
>>54427037
I don't see why not, but the biggest thing around Rogue trader is amassing wealth and building up your Dynasty (or alternatively the fall of the dynasty and the groups desperate fight to keep it afloat if you want it to go that way), so focusing on a single thing might work for a story arc, but focusing an entire campaign around it would severally depend on the group in question.
>>
For rogue trader, what career synchs up best with the questoris knight elite advance? I want to be competent both inside and outside a knight.
>>
>>54428336
From whence does said Questoris Knight elite advance come from?

I'd imagine either Arch Militant or Void Master, but apparently Explorator is the only one that gets Drive (walker) (and that's not until Rank 7), unless you get it as an Elite Advance in which case I'd imagine either Arch Militant or Void Master.
>>
>>54428494

It's from The fringe is yours. It gives me drive (walker) and a smattering of skills and talents, which push for melee combat. Rogue trader would give me some social skills, explorator would make me self-sufficient and give me knowledge skills, and arch-militant would shore up a weakness at range. I don't know what some of the other players are making yet, but I do know one was considering a Navigator and another a Voidmaster, so I have some leeway.
>>
>>54408292
Event Horizon
>>
>>54425406
The Wild Bunch would be a perfect illustration of the chaos renegades' daily routine
Mad Max
Virus (1999)
Death Machine
Hellraizer
Evil Dead
Event Horizon, it's there for a reason
>>
>>54407578
>The geneseed was mutated, and had been ear-marked for return to Mars for study and destruction, so the Astartes assumed it had been destroyed in their flight. However, instead some of it has been consumed by a particularly aggressive local species

Now, that makes me wonder about the end result of feeding geneseed to Kroot...
>>
>>54433455

Good way to call a crusade on you
>>
>>54430146
Well, Rogue Trader would only be really useful to you if you wanted to be in charge, and and Seneshal would give you similar enough social skills to Rogue Trader without the responsibility.

The rest is about what you mention.
>>
RT: during character generation, does changing an advanced skill to untrained basic count towards whether you increase skill mastery in that skill?

I'm fairly sure the answer is 'no', but NFI where to find where it says that.
>>
>>54438996
On the first page of the skills chapter.
>>
Seems a little ambiguous, but in Only War do vehicles come with crew that aren't comrades, like a chimera would come with a driver/gunner/commander and the PCs replace them as appropriate?

Would firing and such be based on a standard guardsman statline then?
>>
File: cultist.gif (931KB, 811x541px) Image search: [Google]
cultist.gif
931KB, 811x541px
>>54433455
I would assume that like Ork-eating Kroot, Kroot who feed extensively on Astartes would likely be larger and stronger than their kin. I suppose a victory so great that there was an abundance of Astartes flesh to feed on would be rare, given that Space Marines try zealously to recover their dead... but it's bound to have happened at some point in the history of the galaxy.
>>
>>54439172
They do not.
>>
What is that one weapon or three you just never do without no matter the character you make?
>>
>>54441111
Tripquads demand response but your question is fucking stupid. Equipment depends on the character, the campaign, availability, etc. Especially at chargen, there's no reason to have one weapon to rule them all.
>>
>>54441157
This ... though I try to get a shot pistol in there somewhere, even if it's not useful.
>>
>>54441385
It's always useful in case you have to kill yourself.
>>
Are there any npcs that have insane initiative like 2d10?
>>
>>54441111
>Rogue Trader
Hellguns are so fucking good for underlings squads. They are plentiful, AP, and do decent amount of damage. Always have a squad of > 6 dumb brutes with hellguns, they will vaporize many things.

Archeotech lasgun for maximum rad, though it is a fairly meh weapon in itself. It looks cool and make your dick bigger though.

Inferno Pistol for the sweet 'antitank pistol' feels, though it costs more than a battlecruiser. If you are a plebeian RT and can't afford trillions credits for a pistol, a Plasma Pistol is a decent substitute.
>>
>>54441157

volkite weapons
>>
>>54441111
We usually end up making a new piece of retarded homebrew for each campaign, just for fun. They all end up being in most subsequent campaigns.

A player always ends up being shotgun/shield guy, though.
>>
File: adepts.gif (5MB, 576x324px) Image search: [Google]
adepts.gif
5MB, 576x324px
>>54441111
Anybody who isn't combat focused gets an autopistol.
Cheap, light, suppresses regardless of their shitty BS.
>>
Is a point blank dual wield pistol build at all viable?
Related, it says point-blank shots don't give a bonus if the attacker and target are engaged in melee combat with each other. Does that apply here, or only if you're using a melee weapon as well?
>>
>>54443277
Melee weapons never get range modifiers so not sure what you are getting at.
If you are attacked by a melee weapon you dont get the point blank bonus.
>>
>>54402394
Instead of getting assigned to go take it, have them assigned to show up for some local ceremony or to pick up reinforcements.

They show up for completely unrelated reasons to what is Totally A Safe Planet, realize it's a bunch of filthy secessionists while they're in the middle of it, and then bam, outnumbered and out of support, trying to do the Emperor's will as the men on the scene.
>>
>>54443379
The whip actually has a range of 2 meters.
>>
Do you need the weapon group proficiency to use vehicle mounted weapons or does the mount take care of it? I'd assume so but I want to be sure.
>>
>>54443449
You dont get a point blank modifier when you attack with it, right?
>>
>>54443591
Presumably not. A melee attack is a melee attack is a melee attack.
>>
>>54443660
Glad we are in agreement besides semantics
>>
>>54443488

Pilot or drive skill takes care of it. Drive ground vehicle lets you use all weapons on a ground vehicle even if you lack training
>>
>>54443379
Okay, thanks
>>
>>54443912
>>54443488
Does it really?
I assumed all the mount does is allow you to fire heavy weapons without bracing
It would probably allow you to fire built in weapons like the main gun of a tank and whatever
>>
>>54443912
Okay, so if a PC squaddie wants to man the turret they would need it then?
>>
>>54441111
Everyone gets a concealed monobladed knife as well as their regular one.
No one ever expects an Adept to carry a backup knife like the more militant party members.
When searching Tech-priests, people focus on mechandrites, weapon bionics and concealed compartments, forgetting such mundane things as hidden pockets in the robes.
>>
>>54443277
One thing you can do if you get in melee, use half move to step back (giving them a free attack if you can take the hit), then fire with point blank bonus
But you could do the same with full auto guns which would get +30 +30 and a shot for every degree of success

Pistols are great because you can use them in melee
>>
I'd like to make a duelist in Rogue Trader, what careers are good for it?
I'll do Arch-Militant if I have to, but I like the idea of a Voidmaster or Seneschal who's very good at swordfighting.
>>
>>54444172
The RT himself makes a pretty mean dualist.

If you want to be a Void Master or Seneschal with a focus on melee dualing you might want to talk with your GM about swapping their cheap BS advance cost with the expensive WS advance. I would allow that in my games for a newly created character.

You might also want to look at some of the alt-classes that have things that boost melee. I don't remember all of them, but I think swashbuckler at least has abilities that would help your character.
>>
>>54444172
look at characteristic advancements

anywhere you dont have to spend much on WS, Str, Agi is good
>>
>>54444060

yes. it's a bargain that saves you multiple proficiencies, but only when in a vehicle
>>
>>54445009
which page has the rule about drive allowing this?
>>
>>54442257
Please respond
>>
>>54446164

nobody gets 2d10, but who cares when some elder have like 1d10+15 or 1d10+20
>>
>>54446275

whats the point of even rolling after that
>>
>>54448439
When you have multiple Eldar PCs/NPCs in combat
>>
>>54446275
Thats from multiple unnatural agi, right? Just looked at corsairs
>>
>>54448605

unnatural agility and lightning reflexes
>>
>>54445115

Only War p 274

>A character with the appropriate Operate Skill for a vehicle does not need specific weapon proficiencies to fire any weapons mounted on that type of vehicle without penalty. It is assumed that his expertise covers weapon use as well
>>
>Making unique weapons for one world or one adventuring location based off Only War rules
Does madness lie down this road, or can I do it without being OP?
>>
File: Behold, my Divine Sandstorm!.gif (476KB, 490x357px) Image search: [Google]
Behold, my Divine Sandstorm!.gif
476KB, 490x357px
>>54451469

If you always worried about shit being OP, you'll never get anything done. That said, the pattern rules in OW can enhance standard weapons and make planetary variants of known weapons, but it's a lot more fun to make your own weapons and qualities.
>>
>>54451511
What about adding effects, like making a successful hit with the weapon causes your opponents to suffer from Fear (2)?
>>
>>54451946
That is op as fuck against most things.
>>
>>54451946

For fear, that would be best triggered on another condition, like on-kill. While enemies become immune to the same source of fear in the same battle, that first salvo, assuming a hit, will either cripple both ally and enemy, or do absolutely nothing as it's trivially easy in later systems to negate fearless.
>>
>>54452092
>do absolutely nothing as it's trivially easy in later systems to negate fearless.

How do you negate fearless/jaded?
>>
>>54452120

Sorry, my mistake, I meant, "trivially easy to negate fear", through the methods you point out.
>>
File: 1317239759518.jpg (50KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1317239759518.jpg
50KB, 250x250px
>cant learn swimming as an arch-militant in rogue trader

hmm
>>
>>54452165

Ah, that makes more sense.
>>
>>54452092
>like on-kill
Ah, okay. Basically what I was thinking of was a gun that fired hot steam and liquid mercury bullets, so the effect would be pretty devastating to look at, but that makes more sense gameplay wise.
>>
>>54452428
fear is a powerful effect, typically reserved for actual demons and horrific monsters

however the GM can always say "this situation is scary, roll willpower"

but you may want to note that all the powerful guns in the armory dont have fear either, maybe daemon weapons do
>>
>>54452474
That makes sense. Maybe I'll switch it to Crippling. I just think getting hit with boiling molten metal would cause people to experience Fear.
>>
>>54452557
I dont remember the rules but you could try something like Fear (-1) so they get +10 to their willpower test or similar
>>
>>54452428

Funnily enough, there already is a weapon that shoots toxic steam. Check the Boiler Cannon in Tome of Blood as a base.
>>
>>54452671
Thanks for the reference! There are some parts that make sense, especially if I upsize what I'm thinking of.
>>
What's a good justification for a character with a Rogue Trader career, playing second fiddle to the actual Rogue Trader?

Bonus points for the actual Rogue Trader not actually being a Rogue Trader but having killed the last one and have been impersonating him god damn it my party sucks
>>
>>54453190
Trying to find a time when to strike and become the alpha rogue trader.
>>
>>54453190
Being the heir to another Dynasty but getting stuck as an intern?
>>
>>54453417
Oh, I like this. Maybe with a little bit of this >>54453295
>>
>>54453555
Would it make more sense for the heir of a major Dynasty to intern under a minor Rogue Trader so that nobody would be too tempted to off one another?
>>
File: 5DOzPP6.png (601KB, 899x1014px) Image search: [Google]
5DOzPP6.png
601KB, 899x1014px
Ratling guy from a couple days back, took the advice from the thread and swapped some advances back then, how'd you rate this character now?
The only things I can change now are Operate:Aeronautica and +10 to Survival, but seeing how much shit happened during session, those 2 are basically a must have now.
I just hope I won't have to save the commander from falling down a cliff again.
>>
I'm looking at some of the more readily available low-tech ranged weapons and am wondering what tactics and talents NPCs should have to make it so they're somewhat threatening to average human PCs.

The only thing that really comes to mind for me is volley fire tactics with the NPCs having Rapid Reload. I'm thinking a horde might be a better representation of volley firing, but then again, hordes.
>>
>>54453944
>I just hope I won't have to save the commander from falling down a cliff again.
Explain
>>
>>54454222
I'll do it once I wake up, so like 8-9 hours, sorry to blueball you out of a fun story like that
>>
>>54454241
What sort of regiment was this again?
>>
>>54454253
Basically specops, but shit went kinda south
We're basically playing 40k nam but without flamers because we're supposed to stealth through
>>
>>54454326
The enemy cannot detect your presence if you burn their eyes off.
>>
File: 1409725580087.jpg (160KB, 804x971px) Image search: [Google]
1409725580087.jpg
160KB, 804x971px
need ideas for espionage missions in the sector capital world for my players
>>
>>54454467

first tell us what sector you're using
>>
>>54454467
What would be the goal? Humans or space marines? Which game line?
>>
File: Oxydas2.png (833KB, 915x900px) Image search: [Google]
Oxydas2.png
833KB, 915x900px
How do I make planets look like what we see in FFG's RPG books?
>>
>>54454044
You could edit and alter some existing talents, maybe make a couple of talents that allow for semi and full auto attacks. If you want to make bows a thing for PCs, add a talent (Full Draw) that adds Strength bonus to damage and penetration and a talent (Overdraw) that allows an athletics check (-10) to add the number of degrees of success to damage and pen.
>>
>>54454918
I was looking more at the musket and arquebus, though those would be something to keep in mind.
>>
>>54455075
Oh, my B. Had a player that wanted to be 40k Hawkeye. He died before he could get any of the later custom talents I'd made.
>>
File: All Guardsmen Party.jpg (1MB, 5000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
All Guardsmen Party.jpg
1MB, 5000x3000px
Anyone else excited for AGP Storytime finally resuming next week?
>>
>>54455188
I would imagine a 40k version of hawkeye using a gun with an underslung grenade launcher for trick grenades instead of arrows.
>>
>>54456027
Not Hawkeye enough. He had a quiver full of various grenades on sticks. One was rocket assisted.
>>
>>54455744
say what?
>>
>>54456583
It's what the site says, posting on /tg/ on Friday the 28th.
>>
>>54455744
Oh boy. I can't wait for LE EPIC MAYMAY posters from Reddit and newfags besides to come here and shit up the board while Shoggy posts his clearly never happened bullshit story.
>>
>>54456662
Oh, neat, that's better than anything I had planned for that day.
>>
File: Old Soldiers Mission Orders.png (1MB, 1131x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Old Soldiers Mission Orders.png
1MB, 1131x1600px
I typed up some dataslate handouts for the "Old Soldiers" mission that comes with the DM screen.
>>
>>54458747
Lost Patrol dataslate talking about the convoy.
>>
File: Severan Command Staff Diary.png (1MB, 1131x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Severan Command Staff Diary.png
1MB, 1131x1600px
>>54458756
A dataslate mentioned to be in the officer's quarters, but not written out in the module, referencing using xenos to attack the Imperial forces.
>>
File: 40kinquisition01wk2.jpg (63KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
40kinquisition01wk2.jpg
63KB, 600x750px
>>54454475
-homebrew sector
>>54454486
DH2 they just got "promoted" for being competent and you know not dying by now. they are coming off a huge combat focused arc of escorting a daemon weapon to be sealed away etc etc. so trying to make it a more espionage/roleplay focused plot hook.

other relevant info for yall

Lord Inquisitor- is also the sector lord for the Tamahl Sector in the segmentum obsurus. has a shitload of influence and resources at his disposal being over 300 years old. he is known and feared by many, even having a private fleet of ships and quite of few regiments of imperial guardsman, a chapter of space marines, a knight household and other such resources at his disposal.

Former officer of a Cadian Regiment and served on Cadia.

party comp big ass party

priest-, "sway the masses"/likes the sound of his own voice, otherwise loves using fire weapons.

Hospitallier- "can heal literally anything" lore monkey and resident surgeon

Administratum - "afraid of everything" lore/skill monkey but was gifted with the honor of "bearing the seal" For the Lord Inquisitor

Mutant- "Main character" has "died" twice but is the close combat beast of the group, last arc was focused on him incidentally due to plot and certain die rolls.

Psyker- "ploop" loves psychic phenomona and setting people on fire.

Techpriest- "is that archeotech" doesn't do much but do tech uses and telling his gf how to play.

Guardswoman- "techpriest GF" has finally started coming out of her shell after being warned about being axed from the group.

Guardsman- feral worlder and complete idiot who the entire party has kinda given a death sentence when they were interviewed by the Lord Inquisitor after the last mission arc.

Sorita- Wants to be a seraphim, The Lord Inquisitor doesn't like the Sororitas personally, and she learned this the hard way.
>>
>>54458810
Maybe something akin to the blood games where the lord inquisitor wants his security tested, thus it falls to the cell to try to steal mock intel, get to an area, or something else. Perhaps uncovering actual attempts by chaos cults or secessionists.
>>
>>54396734
I always thought that was retarded. Instead, it's 1 profit/whatever stat or 250 thrones to reduce insanity and corruption for the whole crew by one.
>>
File: 1444676846288.png (171KB, 502x520px) Image search: [Google]
1444676846288.png
171KB, 502x520px
>>54454222
>>54454253
>>54454344
All right I am finally awake, 10-11 hours later, so here's storytime
>mission starts with all of us dropping from a valkyrie using grav chutes
>4/6 people fail their tests and slam into the ground arm/face first
>a while later a small combat piece
>1 group of enemies rolls better initiative than anyone in our squad, but both their weapons jam
>then our lieutenant's weapon jams
>then I miss with a 94, emperor bless Reliable weapons
>enemies can't hit me because a ratling in a chameleoline cloak is -40 to hit all the time
>get through the combat, our gunner just ripping people in half with his heavy stubber, I sniping people's heads off, and our shotgun demolitionist fucking one guy up
>gotta find water now
>trek through the mountains
>squad commander is climbing up a wall to a place where some rainwater collected
>gets us water, throws it all down
>starts climbing down
>slips and starts falling
>fails a roll to catch another ledge
>our gunner jumps with a grav chute trying to catch him
>fails, has to catch a ledge to avoid falling, succeds
>fuck it, the idea is good, but not the execution
>ratling to the rescue
>roll perception well to notice the gunner failing
>roll shit on agility for grav chute
>ARE YOU READY FOR A MIRACLE
>burn fate to reroll
>second roll goes well
>now have to roll strength to actually grab the lieutenant
>fail
>ARE YOU READY FOR A MIRACLE
>burn my last fate to reroll
>roll well, slam the commander into the wall to stop him from falling
>grab him by his hand and lift him up
>he's down to exactly 0 wounds
>>
>>54460735
You mean spend, not burn right?
>>
>>54460882
Yeah, that.
I'm relatively new to Only War, so I fuck my stuff up every now and then, sorry.
>>
>>54460890
There is a talent called Drop Trooper which could help everybody on not failing to use a grav chute in Hammer of the Emperor.
>>
>>54460926
I'll probably get it at a later point.
My character is already becoming a jack of all trades support for the squad at this point, as well as being the designated marksman
>>
File: a32.gif (1MB, 245x155px) Image search: [Google]
a32.gif
1MB, 245x155px
>>54456821
May have happened or not the writefaggotry is entertaining.
>>
Hey tg, want to get into dh2 and a friend of mine is down to dm. I play tyranids and battle sisters in 40k so I was wondering what the best builds were for building a sisters repentia or a seraphim. Hopefully with some uncharacteristic survivability when it comes to the repentia.

Also, how hard is to get the battle sisters elite advance in actual play? And is it worth it?
>>
>>54423581
Slightly related, but the binding on the 40K FFG books IS absolutely abysmal, every time I manage to get a campaign going I just use PDFs as much as possible. I haven't even used my physical copy of Black Crusade because opening the book makes me wince.
>>
>>54464750

I don't recall if DH2 has faith powers and whatnot. Ask if you can port over some of the stuff from DH1 Blood of Martyrs, since that has a lot of good sororitas / ecclesiarchy stuff.
>>
How compatible are deathwatch statted beasties (tau, tyranids, everything from Samech) with Only War?
>>
File: Math Board.jpg (54KB, 700x350px) Image search: [Google]
Math Board.jpg
54KB, 700x350px
>>54465779

Every enemy from every system is compatible. Some may need a little tweaking due to unnaturals, but it's an easy fix. Every level of multiplied Unnatural characteristic is +4 added Unnatural in the new system, ±2 to taste. For example, Unnatural Toughness x2 is +4, ranging from +2 to +6, while Unnatural Strength x3 is +8, ranging from +6 to +10 to taste.
>>
>>54465830
I just meant in terms of the swarm rules and deathwatch bent. I assume there's no gribblies in DW (since they basically can't harm space marines) and all the non-gribblies are probably badass enough to be scary to guardsmen. Will firewarriors just decimate guardsman in equal numbers? Term/hormagaunts?
>>
>>54465830
What about skills and talents? They are quite different in older and newer systems.
>>
>>54465880

Instead of Deathwatch Hordes, Only War uses Formations, which are slightly weaker. Your average guardsman can take down a termagant no issue, and in equal numbers the guardsmen should come out on top if they have a little distance between them. The problem is there's never equal numbers. As for Tau, your basic Fire Warrior provides a great equal challenge for a guardsman, since while they are essentially a guardsman with carapace, pulse rifles will wreck anything that they hit, 1d10+12 Pen 4 removing all armor, and possibly sending a guardsman into criticals from one shot, so they have to play smart or bring a vehicle.
>>
>>54465933
Thank you, Illustrious Shas'o. Are Formations in the core rulebook? I don't recall them.
>>
>>54466540

They're in Enemies of the Imperium
>>
>>54463416
Spotted the Redditor
>>
If a rogue trader has a conditional warrant, like explore a world, and he fulfills that condition, is he free to do anything after that?
>>
>>54467958
There are a lot of ways it can be written and there's no specific rules about it.
It could be
>must survey an unexplored world every X years
>must maintain knowledge of world X in perpetuity (and if anything happens to it, you had better know)
>chartered to go explore world X (after which the charter terminates)
>chartered to go explore world X (after which the charter is unconditional)

whatever you want senpai.
>>
Quick question:
In the Rogue Trader career pages, why does it make talents like Basic Weapon Training (Universal) available in the Level One section, if it's already one of your starting talents?
>>
>>54468247

In case you take an alt rank that doesn't have that, there's a price for it that serves as a base if you want to elite advance it.
>>
>>54468266
Got it.
>>
Hey if its possible can you help me with Areal Combat as well helping me stating areal vehicles.

I know its a bit late to ask for some questions but you know.
>>
>>54468247
Followup question:
My players are arguing that the -20 penalty to firing into melee combat is optional, since it represents taking care not to hit your own ally, and if you choose to endanger them, you can negate the penalty.
I feel like this is wrong and we've already lost some important NPCs because of it, but I'm not sure if it makes sense. Does the penalty represent something else?
>>
File: fury interceptor.jpg (151KB, 800x571px) Image search: [Google]
fury interceptor.jpg
151KB, 800x571px
>>54468640
Aerial?
>>
>>54468684
I noticed that spelling mistake as soon as I post the comment. Also yes I meant to say that.
>>
>>54468668

It's wrong. You hit an ally on one degree of failure regardless, so there's no way to negate the penalty without taking the Target Selection talent.
>>
>>54468668
Well, TECHNICALLY this can be correct. The -20 penalty applies to hitting the unintended target if you miss by less than 20, which means technically the to hit modifier is 0, you just need to succeed by more than 2 (or 3, depending on the system) degrees of success to hit your intended target.
>>
>>54468731
So is the penalty just that it's hard to target something specific in the wild melee?
>>
>>54468780

Yes.
>>
>>54468640
2e Enemies Without.
>>
>>54468852
Thanks it covered one of the things I needed. I also need the stat lines for other aerial vehicles such as Valkyries and etc.
>>
>>54469023
Valkyries are literally not statted anywhere outside of a transport variant in a rogue trader premade adventure.
>>
>>54469057
I getcha. I was gonna ask for help to home-brew it.
>>
>>54469082
It is the second part of the warpstorm scenario if you want to use that as a base.
>>
>>54469209
Oh alright thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>54394364
>it's a good quality scan AND it's OEF

Sheit son.
>>
>>54465761
There are Faith Talents in Enemies Within. Right under the Battle Sister Elite Advance.
>>
>>54465933

Weren't you going to run an only war game and recruit from here?
>>
Is Black Crusade as much of a clusterfuck as most people make it out to be? I know there's a lot of hate for how you can't really play someone unaligned, and that the system actively encourages That Guys. But would it make for a good campaign if you had an NPC acting as a guiding hand, like a Rogue Trader in RT?
>>
>>54472031

You gain infamy points for betraying and killing NPCs in certain ways
>>
>>54472031
I've had plenty of positive experiences with Black Crusade. Even the worst I had was an enjoyable clusterfuck.
>>
>>54472062
Well let me clarify a bit: What if said NPC was a daemon-possessed individual, or an actual daemon? Sure, you could still betray or kill them, but that'd piss off a being that will not forget and never really goes away.
>>
>>54472332
That is a thing already in the books called Dark Patronage in Tomb of Excess.
>>
>>54472395
Oh wait, I'm also forgetting about Compacts in core under the GM section.
>>
>>54472395
>>54472443
I think a Compact would work better in this instance than a Dark Patronage. The latter would bone anyone not aligned to the chaos god I have in mind for the daemon. At least, such is my understanding of both.
>>
>>54472502
Could always use an unaligned daemon for that.
>>
File: Cat and Kitten splat.gif (195KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Cat and Kitten splat.gif
195KB, 250x250px
>>54471985

I was, and I still intend to. But right now I'm in the process of switching contracts so work demands my full attention. Once everything gets sorted out in the next three weeks or so, that's when I can start recruiting.
>>
>>54472591
Malal pls. Though that might make for a fun campaign: Qt Malal daemon wants you to start throwing a wrench into the plans of other daemons. It'd be like playing a Ordo Malleus campaign of DH, except more dire
>>
>>54472629
In either regard, going through the other BC splat books a few times will give you a greater understanding of what can be done with it by RAW.
>>
>>54399446
L, I, V
50, 1, 5

So 56 if you're really bad at Roman numerals
>>
File: whatdoyoumeanitaintreal.jpg (36KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
whatdoyoumeanitaintreal.jpg
36KB, 480x360px
>>54472728
>56
>>
>>54472728
Psst, anon. IV is 4
>>
>>54472832
>>54472814
Anon did say "if you're really bad". They weren't joking.
>>
>>54472595
oh shit it's shas
I read all your campaigns while laid up in bed puking for 4 days
So thanks I guess
>>
>>54472629

malal isn't canon
>>
>>54475980
In a game of make believe, anything can be canon. And judging by the amount of shit I've seen in some 40krpg games, Malal is probably one of the more benign canon-breaking things you could have.
>>
What do the purity seals that adorn your character say? You do have purity seals right?
>>
>>54476079
>"Dear God Emperor, please protect me from the daemons."
Alternatively
>"I DO NOT TASTE GOOD"
>>
>>54468731
>You hit an ally on one degree of failure regardless

Source?
>>
>>54476604
Dh2 core
>>
>>54472595
An Only War game? Can we get a brief synopsis of what you have in mind?
>>
>>54476604
Optional rule "Stray shots". DH2 core 227.
>>
Anyone ever thought of playing 40k RPG without 40 lore and setting? I kinda want to run this gothic space-opera thing in a hive city, kinda like arbites. Wich I think Dark Heresy/Only War would be great for.

Or do you know of other systems that can capture the same feeling, and are more versile? I think the homebrew stuff we got would be enough.
>>
So while I'm updating Rogue Trader to the Only War Ruleset, what should I specifically prepare for in a Rogue Trader campaign?

I know its a lot more freeform than other campaigns but should I do the 'Heres a neat thing!' approach to try and lead them around (Either with backstory interests or just cool sounding ones) or fluff it as we go and let them do what they want?

True freedom sounds fun until they realize that THEY need to know what they're doing.
>>
>>54478528
I get this since there is plenty of stuff that I dont like in the lore
yet the 40k universe is failry large so anything is possible, just do things as you wish

you also could work with worlds that are beyond the borders of the imperium and they have been isolated for centuries or longer
or a secessionist planet

>>54478577
ask the players what interests them (commerce, piracy, building colonies, exploration, bounty hunting, etc) then make up some possible scenarios based on that
>>
>>54478587
That would probably be the simplest method.
This would be about half the groups first time in 40k but this would probably be the best campaign to introduce the setting with.
>>
File: 1373916514602.jpg (412KB, 696x939px) Image search: [Google]
1373916514602.jpg
412KB, 696x939px
>>54478528
It works. Ran a campaign with Only War hybrid (bounty hunters instead of army) with custom weapons, homeworlds, vehicles and some gear (tech level was more advanced than 40k in some aspects) .
Mostly focused on the crazy missions and player character hi-jinks in more free setting instead of the dark and oppressiveness of 40k.

Skipped psykers, xenos & demons as they did not fit the cyberpunk/space opera feel of the new setting. Corruption was super rare, only source of it was failed FTL jumps and certain types of fallout. So did not run into any mutations but plenty of madness (cloning caused insanity etc).

We are veterans of DH, RT and DW though.

For judge/cyberpunk hive fun, I would recommend DH.
>>
>>54478747
nice snowflake on the jpg pal
>>
File: wych.png (588KB, 477x816px) Image search: [Google]
wych.png
588KB, 477x816px
>we get raided by Dark Eldar
>manage to blow up their ship and kill any boarders
>two games later it turns out a group of wyches actually managed to survive and are now murdering their way way through our crew
>my character ends up dying to them stupidly
>in the end our arch-militant pretty much slaughters them on his own
>manages to capture one alive and presents her to the Lord-Captain as a trophy
>I ask the GM if I can play the wych from next game and he said yes

How do I play a wych in these circumstances? The Lord-Captain will offer her a chance to work for him and I guess I for starters have to agree for this to work, but what beyond that?

I also have to stat her properly and I'm looking through The Soul Reaver and The Dark Kin to figure that out at the moment. I'd be thankful for any tips.
>>
>>54478938
Memes
>>
File: time to change the dice.gif (181KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
time to change the dice.gif
181KB, 320x200px
Telekinesis, Telepathy, or Pyromancy? Dark Heresy, of course.
>>
>>54479101
The only thing I know is that fire is pretty deadly in DH
>>
>>54478938
I'd play her as fishing for a rematch against the Arch-Militant.
>>
>>54479101
All powers in dh2e are good.

If you want to get precious informations, make chaos (no pun intended) in enemy ranks and fuck up their minds? Telepathy and use mind probe table from black crusade

Pure glass cannon? Pyromancy

Do you want to have a useful mix of firepower and helpfulness? Telekinesis or biomancy.
>>
>>54477029
>>54477855
Thanks
>>
>>54479113
>>54479172
Thanks! Gonna go with Telekinesis.
>>
Is anyone running a BC game?
>>
>>54478975
Which memes?

>>54479156
He eviscerated six other wyches and punched her in the face until she stopped moving, I think she's had enough for now.

It could be a longer-term goal though.
>>
>>54479545

friends don't let friends play xenos. they don't belong in the game as playable snowflakes and ruin the theme
>>
>>54479601
RT characters are usually snowflakes anyway.
>>
>>54394163
Where do people play 40k Roleplay online?
That also aren't raging autists obviously.
>>
>>54479720
I'm considering running RT on the myth-weavers play-by-post site, but it probably wont be a week or two until I start hunting for players.

Otherwise, you could check Roll20 if you're willing to test the waters.
>>
Can someone give me a tl;dr of what to do to roll up a dude in DH2e? I've read the chapter on chargen but what the fuck does it even mean. Never touched Warhammer before so I'm reading a lot of fluff that is whooshing over my head, too
>>
>>54479932
arent the steps laid out in the first chapter?
>>
>>54479932
>>54479979
Feel free to ask about more specific stuff though. Normally you want to have an idea of what career and weapon you like.
>>
>>54480396
Got the stats and their meanings down now, but advances are just fucking with me. How do I work them out?
>>
>>54479932
>Blah blah i am a retard, spoonfeed me pls
>>
>>54481285
Well done you understood me. So how do advances work?
>>
>>54481305
Just read the rulebook and ask nuances here? Literally I have no idea what you mean

>How elite advances work

or

>How to advance the character, and how aptitudes work

No idea what are you saying here pal. Don't play 7 and less int character in fallout brah
>>
>>54481253
I dont have the book on hand but I think you are referring to spending xp on chatacteristic advances, there is a table for every class that tells them how they cost. Melee chars get cheap str, expensive int etc. Every advance adds +5 to the characteristic. Next advance for the same stat will cost more xp.
You can also spend your xp on skills and talents.
Is this what you meant?
>>
>>54481441
Yes, thank you. Gave the chapter another read and understood it a lot better. So the 100xp at chargen is enough for +5 to any characteristic you have 2 aptitudes for? And aptitudes you get from what? Background?
>>
>>54481520
Background and Role, I see that now. As an aside, how much does my Role limit me talent wise?
>>
>>54481520
>>54481549
I dont have the book, you should read through the chapter of the role you want to choose. I think there are tables for every rank/level
>>
>>54481643
I read the chargen chapter again from homeworlds to roles and I get all of it now. I agree with the anon who called me retarded. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though!
>>
>>54481549
Only in terms of how much you spend on talents based on the aptitudes it gives you (with the exception of mystic that adds access to powers, but that's only if you are interested in it).
>>
>>54479601
>ruin the theme
I don't think you understand the theme of Rogue Trader.
>>
>>54481817
Not that poster, but i always disliked RT because i feel it's like 40k for who doesn't want to play 40k, since everything you usually strive for in game for the sake of setting, you can reasonably ignore in RT. Am i right or is there something more?
>>
>>54481882
I think it depends on what you want out of a setting.

You know how Only War and Dark Heresy have different themes and subject matter?
Same with Only War and Deathwatch?

Rogue Trader is just another. Same setting, but you get to play the 1% of the 1% of the 1% (of the 1% of the...)
>>
>>54481882
That's like saying in Dark Heresy, Only War etc. you can ignore space battles, smuggling, commerce, piracy
>>
>>54481882
>40k for who doesn't want to play 40k
Honestly, that's the reason I love it so much. In all the other games your characters are expected to follow the rules of the setting to a certain extent, which is fun in it's own way, but RT is practically defined by letting you break the rules.

It's definitely refreshing to be able to just play around in the galaxy without thinking "Oh, but as a [whatever], I'd have to do/think/say [whatever]".
>>
>>54481916
It's the fact that in DH, DW and OW you still have to be subject to the Imperial Truth, its rules and implication, a fanatic religion that is all encompassing, corrupt and oppressive but is also the only light in the darkness of the galaxy (which i think is the strongest point of the setting as a whole) or abandon it and face the consequences. In RT you instead do whatever you want because you have Imperial permission to do so: explore the forbidden part of the galaxy? Yes, because RT. Consort and collaborate with Xenos? Yes, because RT. Do what you want, go where you want, because you want? Yes. I understand it's part of the setting, i just feel it's literally for who wants to play gritty star wars and not wh40k. But again, i ask because maybe i am missing something core about it.
>>
>>54482136
I mean, you know how you investigate corrupt and decadent nobles in Dark Heresy?
You know how you have to deal with politics and whinging between the MEchanicus and the Ecclisiarchy and planetary nobility in Only War?
You know how your Deathwatch team can get caught up in the schemes of rival inquisitors?

Your Warrant of Trade authorizes you to go beyond the Imperium and do these things.
If you want to make money, you still have to come back into the Imperium to cash out, pay rent on the family palace, buy new ships, hire new crew, etc. And when you come back in you return to Imperial law. You have tremendous flexibility, but you still have to be able to come back in and be a goo' boy who dindunuffin and play by regular nobility rules when people are present to look at you.

You seem to agree that it has its place in the setting, so I'm not sure I can explain this to you; some people just like playing the height of decadence and nobility and power.

I think you're overstating the Ecclisiarchy's role in the Imperium though.
>>
>>54481643
>>54481441
There arent such tables for "each class" in DH2, since you aren't restricted to classes and levels like in DH1. Stop confusing the new player with mixing 1 e and 2e.
>>
Hey t/gentlemen, here's a thread, please share your stories

>>54480295
>>54480295
>>
>>54482343
It was the best I could do without the book in hand
>>
>>54482386
No.
>>
new

>>54483026
>>54483026
>>54483026
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.