[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /tg/ I'm trying to start on development of a campaign

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

Hi /tg/ I'm trying to start on development of a campaign set in a setting akin to Final Fantasy 7's 'high-tech fantasy' world with all the more or less light sci-fi/modern tech that is more or less a plague over a hard fantasy setting.

The idea of basically Rogue Trader's with a FF7-like airship running around a world akin to said game but a little more gruesome and depressing. My only issue is what game system allows for such a mix of might&magic alongside things like firearms, mechas, and jurry-rigged gadgets...

pls no bully
>>
>>54393498
GURPS.
>>
>>54393498
>>54394122
GURPS is versatile in setting, infinitely so, but not particularly versatile in tone. It's tone is very gritty, simulationist, and low-heroism. That might be what you're looking for.

INterrestingly enough, 4e is also setting neutral, but inflexible in tone, but while GURPS is setting versatile because of all the interchangable subsystems to, 4e is setting versatile because the fluff-crunch separation means you can refluff the classes to anything you like: from space opera archetypes, to giant robots.

However, much like GURPS, it is also inflexible in tone. There are always three universal truths in any universe you are running using 4e.
1: Melee weapons are a viable choice in combat, even if guns exist.
2: Flight is not going to be available in combat before epic tier (I.E. when things start getting... you know... epic)
3: The PC's are the goddamned heroes of whatever story it is you're telling. They are not a band of mercenaries who met in a bar just trying to survive by delving through underground teasure-troves: they are the PROTAGONISTS with a capital P

Honestly.... between GURPS and 4e, you've basically got every setting and tone covered, so the question you have to ask yourself is: do you want your PC's to be the protagonists of the story who are destined to save the world, or vulnerable pieces of a living breathing world that functions with or without them.

If you chose the former, go with 4e. If you want the latter, go with GURPS.
>>
>>54393498
As others have said gurps can handle your idea well. If the system is too "crunchy" for you perhaps try other generic systems like BRP or even the cypher system. If you want something very rules lite maybe Fate, though personally i cant seem to get myself into fate.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.