[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When I make a character, I usually have one rule: No matter what,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: Dollarphotoclub_70680221.jpg (3MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Dollarphotoclub_70680221.jpg
3MB, 5184x3456px
When I make a character, I usually have one rule: No matter what, they accept the party. Doesn't matter if they hate them etc. Some kind of code of honor, things like that. I find it really annoying when someone decides to mess with their own party, and blame it on playing their character: You made the character. You chose to bring your character to the table, with their values etc. I'll still pull them out of hell, their knife sticking in my back.

Is this stupid? Am I stupid for expecting people to make characters like this? I get that not everyone wants to be a paragon, but all I expect is for my party members to have my back in tight spot, regardless of the situation.
>>
When characters don't follow this standard, you get shit like "My character wouldn't care about this! I leave" and bullshit ensues.

It's a party adventure, stick the fuck together. You're all on the same team.
>>
>Is this stupid? Am I stupid for expecting people to make characters like this?

No you're not. I view it the same way. When I'm GMing I expect all characters to have some reason why they at least tolerate the rest of party. Why they choose to stay with them.

If a PC ever gets to the point where they don't have a reason to remain with the party, I expect the player to roleplay the character and have the PC leave. Then the player rolls up a new character.

>>54374434
>When characters don't follow this standard, you get shit like "My character wouldn't care about this! I leave" and bullshit ensues.

I view that as a good outcome when a PC doesn't have a good reason to stay or a group doesn't have a good reason to keep the PC.

The alternative is a group that never thinks about the reason. So you get bullshit like a PC who keeps threatening and/or stealing from the rest of the party, who still keep bringing him along.
>>
File: 200.gif (2MB, 460x200px) Image search: [Google]
200.gif
2MB, 460x200px
>>54374434
>"My character wouldn't care about this! I leave!"
>>
>>54374434
>You're all on the same team.

Are we, though? There are certain lines in the sand that my characters won't cross, though it's different for each one. My CONTROL soldier agent in SpyCraft, for example, would never do anything to endanger America or American interests, so there were a few points during our 1980s campaign where our party was seriously approached by KGB agents to switch sides, and my character put her foot down and said "no", and would have left the party over it had the party actually gone along with it (and probably become an antagonist in the future).

Likewise, if I roll up a Good character in Dungeons & Dragons, then there are certain things that he or she will not do - torture, for example. Because when I write "Good" on my character sheet, I mean it.
>>
>>54375748
Have you ever player a PC that would tolerate one party member stealing from another ?

I never have. I'm not sure I ever could. It comes down to trust. If a PC is willing to rob another party member, what will they be willing to do if our enemies try bribery ?
>>
>>54375925
>Have you ever player a PC that would tolerate one party member stealing from another ?

Last one I played was a rogue and would be the one DOING the stealing, albeit only of small baubles or a few coins at a time. In her own words - "eh, I steal from you, you steal from him, he steals from me. It all evens out." That other party members would not, in fact, try to steal from her was something she found a bit weird, but not something she would have had a problem with.

>what will they be willing to do if our enemies try bribery ?

Hey, it's one thing to lift a few coins (let's be real: gold is the least valuable resource for a PC) or an interesting bauble. Those are just things. Loyalty and reputation are the things that actually matter.

It's a peculiar sort of honor that exists among thieves, but it's honor nevertheless.
>>
>>54375925
>Playing a lawful good rogue
>Locking chests so other players can't steal items from them
>In CoS
>>
Its actually my one permanent rule as a GM. Granted, I do my best to make sure the plot of the game adheres to their motivations, so that collusion comes naturally.

I've still had one guy constantly try making loners, often met with "well, the party leaves, go roll a new character." He's faded from the group, though.
>>
File: KiddiePoolRules.png (186KB, 488x620px) Image search: [Google]
KiddiePoolRules.png
186KB, 488x620px
>>54371935
>When I make a character, I usually have one rule
Just the one?
Well you picked the most important one.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.