[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking to run an semi-eldritch horror game in a really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: aquarius3[1].jpg (328KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
aquarius3[1].jpg
328KB, 700x525px
I'm looking to run an semi-eldritch horror game in a really big, underwater research base. For those of you into comics, I'm trying to do something similar to Scott Snyder's The Wake and I really do not know what system to run this sort of thing in.

I'm looking for something relatively easy for me and my players to pick up (we mostly play 5e and Pathfinder), and hopefully not too crunch heavy.

If any of you guys have suggestions I'd love to hear them.
>>
Well, here's the thing.

Horror works as a genre based on tension. Tension comes from structure, whether that structure is compositional (Dutch angles baby)
or plotted (they get killed in dreams but you gotta sleep eventually baby)
or thematic (we're insignificant specks in a massive universe that doesn't give a shit about us, also Cthulhu and weird racism I guess)

As such a lot of the systems people use to let the PCs tell their own stories (5e, Pathfinder) don't lend themselves well to this kind of tension. That's the biggest argument against whatever system it is the Arkham horror games run on, I don't remember. (see: that pasta where the dude fails his sanity roll about the two-legged dogs and throws himself into the furnace)

My advice for you would be, if you're looking for something low-crunch and easy to pick up, evaluate the story you have planned (which, you should have a story planned-- horror is the only genre that I think railroading is kind of necessary for a compelling campaign) and homebrew something simplistic that informs the need of the story.

So what's the basic gist of your plot in your own words?
>>
>>54363843
Same anon, elucidating: 5e doesn't work for horror without a lot of railroading because
1) it puts an emphasis on player agency, where horror as a genre is fundamentally informed by a LACK of audience/player agency. Think about every time you've KNOWN the character shouldn't go into the basement to investigate the noise, but they do anyway. Or, even more pure: the nightmares where you're running and running but you're not making any progress...
2) because those systems rely on random chance, which WILL undercut both your plot and any creeping tension you manage to create in your session. Imagine that character creeps slowly down the stairs, only to critically fumble and go tumbling down the steps like a slapstick routine.
>>
>>54363593
Thanks OP, I'm reading the Wake now and it's really cool!
For horror games, I quite enjoy Fate; it's easy to learn and fast to play, and also easy to customize the power level of the pgs.

The downside is that it's a highly narrative system without a lot of specific mechanics, but in a horror game it's always worked fine for me.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.