[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/, me and some friends have been wanting to play some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: DD5.jpg (248KB, 657x472px) Image search: [Google]
DD5.jpg
248KB, 657x472px
Hey /tg/, me and some friends have been wanting to play some legit tabletop D&D for quite some time now and seeing how we are all on vacation and in the same place for the first time in ages we decided to give it a go.
However, we know literally nothing of how to play it and these dudes expect me to be DM.
You guys got an basic pointers, guides or sources on how to get what will probably be the noob-est, shittiest D&D session going?
>>
First, tell me about your group. What kinds of other games do they play, whether vidya, tabletop or otherwise? What are their interests, how much do you think they want to deal with game mechanics vs how much you think they'd just want to engage with the storytelling side?

Any info you can give will help us recommend the best ways to run a game, as well as systems that might help you run it better, since there are a lot of different D&D's and D&Dalikes out there.
>>
Just don't sweat the rules too much. Tell them ahead of time that if a rule comes into question, you'll just make a call and then check the rules later.

If they want to do something and you're not sure how, just have them make a skill check, and if they roll a number you think is a good one (~13+ usually is good) they can do it.
>>
>>54351456
We all play different vidya together. We've played Torchlight 2, Diablo 2, Borderlands, a lot of PUBG lately and a shit of Dark Souls all through it's man iterations.

We've never really played any kind of tabletop games together, on a very sad note the closest we've ever gotten to something like D&D, please do note hard of a sad note this is, is boardgame online.

Two of the group shy away from the possible embarrassment that may come from roleplaying but everyone else is really just eager to try it, I'm exited to have been appointed as DM since telling the story and dragging them through the motions sounds like fun.
>>
>>54351558

From the sound of it your group likes engaging with game mechanics, then?

Your two main options, at the moment, are D&D 5e or 4e. 5e is the most recent and generally accepted version of D&D, with simplified and streamlined mechanics compared to most other editions. It's a bit lacking in content and it's not as mechanically tight as 4e, but it's a strong generalist option with something for everyone, and the issues it has aren't too much of a big deal. It's not my favourite edition, but it's hard to go wrong with it.

4e, meanwhile, is a rather atypical game. It's very mechanically tight and focused, with the actual combat side of gameplay being very fun to play and easy to run. However, it's quite lacking outside of that combat, and the options available to you can be a bit much for new players. There's also some mandatory math fixes that are necessary to make the game work at all. On the plus side, all the content is collected into a character builder program and an unofficial online compendium, which does make it a lot easier to work with.

4e got a lot of flak for being too 'gamey', and focusing on that side to the detriment of the rest of the game, while 5e is less well developed mechanically but doesn't suffer from that issue (although it should be noted that not all groups saw that as a problem or an impediment to roleplay.)

D&D 3.5/Pathfidner probably deserves a mention, but I'd not recommend it at all. It has a huge amount of content, but vast swathes of it are traps for new players or complex, half-functioning systems that take an experienced GM wrangling them to make them work.

Also, as a general question, are you and your friends wanting to play D&D specifically, or just try out a roleplaying game?
>>
>>54351693
Thanks man, I'll look into it.

>Also, as a general question, are you and your friends wanting to play D&D specifically, or just try out a roleplaying game?

I guess, any RPG, we just thought D&D would be the no brainer choice.
>>
>>54351427
>legit
Post discarded for talking like a rappist.
>>
>>54351427
Just do a simple game. Play an older edition and rules won't trip you up. Basic is nice and easy and, ever wondering what rule should exist for a situation? Pick the relevant attribute, have them roll a d20, and if they meet or roll under their attribute then it's kosher.

You can do an old adventure but, for a first game? Just do something simple. Pick a dungeon, run it, roll on treasure tables. Leap into the dungeon crawl and have a halfway mark or other reason to return to town before finishing the dungeon.

The dungeon lets your players get into it through mechanics, then kinda ease into roleplaying once they've already gotten a bit invested in their characters. Also gives them something to do with the sudden "well we're in a town, now what?" because they'll have treasure to investigate or spend.
>>
>>54351427
Just run the 5E starter set it's simple to pick up and has all the starting material you'll need.
>>
>>54351737
Hey man.
Ignore >>54351693
Do >>54356447

I have been exactly where you are. 4e is dog shit. 3.5/pf are even worse dog shit.

Dnd 5e has more content than you'll be able to do on 10 vacations and is extraordinarily beginner friendly.

Also, after you guys get your feet wet, consider branching out from d&d.
>>
>>54356614
I'd actually put it in reverse, where 4e isn't that great compared to 3.5.

5e is still the right choice though.
>>
>>54356614

3.PF is dogshit. 4e is a game with different design priorities, and ones that might be more appropriate to his group if they're fond of mechanically focused cooperative vidya. It never hurts to know the options available.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.