[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it a violation of copyright to print pdf's you've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1487515713958.jpg (102KB, 547x750px) Image search: [Google]
1487515713958.jpg
102KB, 547x750px
Looking to print PDF's I legally purchased (there isn't a print version of them available) but got a bit of flack at the local print store. Is it a violation of copyright to print it even though there is no print version available and I only wish to use it for my own purposes?
>>
Nobody's going to arrest you for doing it, even if it is illegal. From a purely moral standpoint, you bought it, you have a right to do whatever you want with it.
>>
>>54342483
It's more like the store physically wouldn't print it. I was wondering about whether I was in the right or not. Also, know a good paper type to print shit out on?
>>
>>54342365
The print shops I knew couldn't afford to turn down business like that. Is it common for print shops to get involved in lawsuits over copyrightvwhere you live?
>>
>>54342365
Depends on the setting.
Unironically, check specific laws of your state, there's no general answer.
>>
>>54342365

Better to do it at home-- even if it's legal to print it for yourself (which may vary case-by-case, I dunno) the print shop may not be allowed to.
>>
>>54342535
>It's more like the store physically wouldn't print it. I was wondering about whether I was in the right or not.
They can deny you service for any reason or no reason at all (as long as that reason isn't race, gender or religious inclination), if that's what you're asking.
>>
>>54342544
>Better to do it at home
Can't do it. Home printer is shit.
>>
>>54342606

Ah. Sorry, the only other thing I can suggest is a buddy with a better printer. I mean, you could try looking up the exact laws and license for your particular PDF, but the shop may have its own blanket rules anyway.
>>
File: War.jpg (146KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
War.jpg
146KB, 736x552px
>>54342692
Emailed the creators about it. If they say it's fine I'll just print the email out and use it as permission at the printer. Thanks for the input, guys.
>>
>>54343383
Be aware that if you do get a "no" in reply and do print it anyways, you'll have a sure-lose situation if you somehow get sued.

Not that anybody cares about you enough to bother suing, but it's a worthwhile lesson in case somebody who matters is reading.
>>
>>54342365
as long as you don't sell copies
>>
>>54342365
It's a blanket policy they have for covering people trying to print actual books. Potentially also some combination of the clerk being a lazy dick. If it's some asshole on a power trip, you're not going to get shit even with an email. Find another print shop.
>>
I don't get it, why would the print shop care? Can they get sued over this? Can't they claim they don't go reading shit customers send them because they respect their privacy or something?
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 766x1029px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 766x1029px
>>54342365
Only if it says you can like the bottom of pic related.
>>
I print all my shit out at work. Have a friend who works in an office do it for you.
>>
>>54342365
Depends on the system. Paizo, I think, gives you explicit permission, as long as you aren't selling.

SJGames, if I remember correctly, gives explicit permission for one personal-use printed copy.

If a brick and mortar store wouldn't do it, you can tell your conscience you tried locally first, and then use an online service like lulu. Lulu has pretty decent rates for b/w prints, but color and potentially get fucky.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.