[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are western settings so afraid of anachronisms? There's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1156.jpg (86KB, 736x1230px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1156.jpg
86KB, 736x1230px
Why are western settings so afraid of anachronisms? There's always this apparent need for things to be an almost carbon copy of a given time period or place.
>>
>>54337676
>western settings

If it's not familiar to a subset of an audience, it will not sell, and profit is the measure of success for western products.
>>
File: eberron-header.jpg (87KB, 992x347px) Image search: [Google]
eberron-header.jpg
87KB, 992x347px
>>54337676
>Why are western settings so afraid of anachronisms? There's always this apparent need for things to be an almost carbon copy of a given time period or place.
Whatever you say anon
>>
>>54337676
"Western settings" is a pretty broad spectrum, and your complaint seems kind of baseless
>>
>>54337676
What the hell are you talking about you fucking idiot?
Nearly EVERY fantasy setting has two to three anachronisms at the LEAST, even ones that only exist in novels.
Do you even know what "anachronism" actually means or are you just parroting words you saw online like a retard?
>>
>>54337676
This statement is so far past being correct it can't even remember what correct looked like when it passed by it.
>>
>>54337676
It's really not about anachronisms as consistency if you crib from a certain worldstyle. People don't want guns or electronics because the standard fantasy doesn't use guns or electronics, not because they're the wrong time period. Eastern settings do the same thing with their RPG mechanics, especially when it comes to things like say, what elements are weak to each other.
>>
>>54337676
It's more complicated than that. Western fantasy is usually a mismatch of technology, sociopolitical and economical structures, with a bunch of errors thrown in (I don't blame them, even contemporary settings are usually full of errors).
Why? Because genre fiction didn't start as such.
Someone created a medieval setting, except with dragons and magic. It didn't start as a brand new thing, it was a reimagining.
And then everyone copied him.
See "merveilleux".

Also, if I already have magic in my setting, why bother with boring guns when I could use awesome magic wand to the same effect.
>>
>>54337676
OP did you just wake up and say "I'm gonna post the stupidest thing" or were you gonna post something coherent and accidentally hit your head before starting
>>
>>54337676
Care to name a few that do without? Almost every western setting that's billed as "medieval" cops most of its architecture from a later period.

If you're asking why others don't generally go the Naruto route of tossing computers and video conferencing into their sword-and-sorcery stories, I'd imagine it's because they value internal consistency and don't want to appear lazy or unimaginative.
>>
>>54337846
>Someone created a medieval setting, except with dragons and magic.
So, regular medieval fiction?
>>
>>54338006
there's a difference between fiction written during the middle ages, and fiction set in the middle ages.
>>
File: a universe finally at peace.jpg (316KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
a universe finally at peace.jpg
316KB, 1920x1080px
>>54337676
I'll take "shit that never ever happened" for 10.

Still, an accurate medieval game would mean that a party could literally bully a couple of villages into building them a castle and then commend themselves and their services to some greater lord.

Issue being that the bard-castellan in the next castle over also wanted to bully those same peasants, so he's now shit-talking your crew in front of every other petty castellan in the region in order to get them to team up and kick the shit outta ya.

Would be hilarious.
>>
why did you use a picture of ten ten? to attract autistic weeb haters?
>>
>>54338070
It's not the presence of dragons and magic.
>>
>Why are western settings so afraid of anachronisms?
I don't think it's fear. This kind of problem gets contributed to 'being afraid of branching out and trying new things'.
But really it's about 'what's the easiest way to earn cash'. I know, it's quite typical and hip and cool nowadays to shit on capitalism, but it's true.
And if by 'western' you mean 'mainstream', then sure. I am actually of the belief that there are far more anachronistic settings than there are straight faced ones, just that either they aren't very good because they lacked focus or where too ambitious for their tiny team etc. Or because they are good, but just not mainstream and didn't advertise enough to be mainstream.
Remember: Most people don't actively try to find anything if they can avoid it. It's much easier to invest in something if someone tells you all about it first. Advertising matters more than anything else.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.