[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important would artillery be in a low fantasy setting based

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

File: 220px-Étienne_de_Villaret.jpg (16KB, 220x328px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Étienne_de_Villaret.jpg
16KB, 220x328px
How important would artillery be in a low fantasy setting based on 19th century america/europe?
>>
File: 1488946177351.jpg (69KB, 425x340px) Image search: [Google]
1488946177351.jpg
69KB, 425x340px
>>54335826
What level of magic/monsters?
>>
>>54335836
Weak magic/Lots of monsters
>>
>>54335881
Seeing as artillery was incredibly important in warfare at the time and there's lots of monsters, I'm going to presume there's also a lot of larger ones, I'd say definitely.

But what interests me more is how your societies are run, especially in terms of travel and commerce; 19th century societies were created due to the increased ability to transport goods, resources and peoples, resulting in economic advancement and accumulation of capital to push these technologies. How are they occuring in a regions where there are a lot of monsters? The monsters would take the place of lawless brigands and such, and cause a government (many of which by the 19th century had pushed for the extermination of harmful animals and had accomplished it centuries ago) to make travel safe?
>>
>>54335826
More than people. And possibly what allows men to mow down thousands of tibetan Xingtian and colonize lands previously inhabitable.
>>
File: deutschfranzösischerkrieg.jpg (623KB, 1300x845px) Image search: [Google]
deutschfranzösischerkrieg.jpg
623KB, 1300x845px
>>54335826
Very important

It completely changed the concept of sieges

pic related is the bombing during the siege of Paris in 1870/1871 by the Prussians
They first closed a ring around Paris and then started to bomb it with heavy artillery from several kilometres away (I don't exactly remember, but I guess about 20)

Big battles with large armies were also starting to get more and more irrelevant (the Battle of Leipzig 1813 was often called to be one of the last, important clashes of armies) due to the rising range and strength of artillery
>>
File: Geschütze_gegen_Paris_1871.jpg (558KB, 2189x1459px) Image search: [Google]
Geschütze_gegen_Paris_1871.jpg
558KB, 2189x1459px
>>54338158
>>
>>54335826
As others have said, very important. the range and accuracy of artillery dramatically changed warfare. The Charge of the Light Brigade was a mistake that wasn't supposed to happen and the Russian guns were old, but it does show you what would happen to a force charging an entrenched position. If you've got Centaur Khans who raid into the outer territories on a Russian like state, then they will soon find themselves in positions much like the real life Khans of Central Asia. Also, If you're going to have colonial empires in the setting, the Anglo-Zulu War shows just how impressive modern firepower can be against forces that lack them. Most people only see the Battles of Isandlwana and of Rorke's Drift because in the first the British got BTFO and in the Second a bunch of engineers defeated a massive Zulu army, but the rest of the battles of the war show just how effective modern armament were against those who lacked them.
>>
>>54335826
It would be the single most important technological asset in warfare. From the Napoleonic war to the Franco-Prussian War, good artillery was king.
>>
>>54335826
There's a reason why field artillery is known as "king of the battlefield".
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.