[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you get players to focus more on character interaction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1479482099265.jpg (47KB, 509x616px) Image search: [Google]
1479482099265.jpg
47KB, 509x616px
How do you get players to focus more on character interaction and actual roleplay? How do you make parts of the game that aren't combat more interesting?

My players tend to treat the game more like a video game than anything, only really focused in dungeons and combat situations.
Which sounds like it could be an issue when wanting to run a campaign more focused on simple exploration and day to day life for adventurers, which isn't to say it's not going to have dungeons and monsters to fight, I'd just like the other parts of the game to be interesting as well. Have stuff like making resting and camping important to give players more opportunity to be their characters.
>>
>>54316490
Are you playing D&D?
>>
>>54316522
I haven't decided the system for this game yet. I'm thinking GURPS.
>>
>>54316490
>My players tend to treat the game more like a video game than anything
You may have players who want to play a tabletop vidya gaem.
I DM a long running game that's about 50% roleplay, but when I'm a player on Sundays, I prefer to play something more module-esque.
>>
>>54316535
As long as you don't play D&D you will boost chances of getting players that do things outside of the dungeons, too.
>>
File: 1400128994209.png (128KB, 308x308px) Image search: [Google]
1400128994209.png
128KB, 308x308px
>>54316548
>>
>>54316559
You know it's true though. Crowds of other systems outside of D&D and PF, such as CoC, DH and even WoD generally put an emphasis on roleplaying your character more than killing and looting whatever is not nailed down.
>>
>>54316589
The amount of roleplay in ANY game that isn't a rules-lite is completely dependent on the players and especially the Gamemaster.
>>
>>54316632
I agree, but most D&D.PF games have little in the way of roleplaying. Mostly it's just "we go to the dungeon" & roll for initiative followed by 4 hours of combat.

Whole sessions of just combat can be okay for some people, but only combat is hardly something you can call roleplaying, given that you aren't acting out another character and instead are just rolling dice to see if you hit or miss your next attack.
>>
>>54316822
It's not the games that cause it. Players self-select for things that they like. If you through a feelings and emotions simulator at a bunch of people who want to wreck shit then they're just going to get bored or try to wreck shit anyway.
>>
>>54316822

>Needing mechanics to roleplay

Wew lad.

If your game is just endless dungeon crawls full of pure combat that's a decision the player & GM have made and little to do with the system.
>>
>>54316878
>Players self-select for things that they like.
Yes, that's what I am arguing.

D&D is built to wreck and loot shit, it is not built for immersive roleplay and drama like other RPGs are so if you avoid D&D and PF, you are much more likely to find players who are going to be willing to interact with villains instead of being Murderhobos.
>>
>>54316903
I understand this criticism but respectfully disagree with it being a built in D&D flaw. It's the player base, in my experience, who are at fault for this.
My first DM and group was guilty of this type of MMO-On-Table mindset. Another group needed another player and I offered to try out. I was amazed at how different their D&D felt compared to my groups D&D. They were way more focused on being actual people and not sentient stat blocks. Changed my whole perspective on shit.
>>
>>54316903
>like other RPGs

Such as? You can munchkin in any system that's far.more down to the players than any other factor.

I've taken power gaming players into other systems and they have power gamed all the same. Likewise if you take players who don't do that and play D&D it's perfectly fine for roleplay.
>>
>>54316490
you will want to take a tough and challenging dungeon, but tack a story on it, give them a goal beyond kill things
force them to have to consider their resources, like it may take days to clear the area, so they will have to keep track of supplies
have a villain who antagonizes them, to give them a chance at dialogue, if you are afraid they will "Shoot first, ask questions never" have them speak remotely, anything to encourage dialogue

alternatively, square peg/round hole, and give in to their demands and find a new crowd

DnD is fine for roleplaying, just remember to reward good speeches with either advantage or lowered DC, and to properly pace combat so there isnt the expectation that fighting is all they do
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.