[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you get mad if your players loot defeated enemies? My DM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 306
Thread images: 20

File: 23854-4-1347134092.jpg (510KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
23854-4-1347134092.jpg
510KB, 1600x900px
Do you get mad if your players loot defeated enemies?

My DM doesn't seem to like me stopping to grab the weapons of dead enemies, but I don't see why leave usable steel weapons forgotten in the grass if I can carry them.
>>
>>54316335
No. It happened all the time IRL.

At a certain point it's a bit weird though. You can't feasibly carry that many weapons, and it's not like extra weapons will help you. You could sell them, sure, but there's lighter, less bulky things to loot.
>>
>>54316366
Armor fag, historically speaking if you want to loot the smallest piece of plate armor with the widest fitting (IE, you can sell it to almost anybody as it will fit almost anyone), you loot gauntlets. Not only are they terribly expensive to make, they're one of the most crucial pieces of armor for a soldier lacking a shield and you should be able to pawn them off for a pretty penny.
>>
>>54316931
That's pretty interesting. Thanks.
>>
>>54316335
historically, things like maille were looted and either used for yourself or sold to the market

a perfectly good sword is also good stuff to carry
things like matchlock muskets were also worth 2 months pay for a trained artisan, so it may be worth taking those

but a professional looter would want to maximize weight to value, and go for small but valuable things like jewelry first

looting everything on the battlefield would be mostly pointless unless you had the foresight to bring a whole ton of workers and carts
>>
>>54316335
No, if players want to do that then that's fine and can be a little fun part of the game.

I let players take weapons if they want, usually they can sell them but at a reduced rate 1/4 and use encumbrance rules for how much they can carry and I even have a generator to see what each individual kill was carrying. Usually only a few copper or if they're lucky a platinum piece but they enjoy it.

So many GM's hate fun it's absurd.
>>
>>54316990
>usually they can sell them but at a reduced rate 1/4
y tho
>>
>>54317012

No one wants to wear a dead man's helm
>>
>>54317035
They do though.
>>
>>54317035
And what gave you that idea?
>>
>>54317012

Why not ?

'Hi merchant, we have some weapons to sell you'

'Well they don't look amazing but I'll probably be able to sell some of them whole and the rest for scrap , I'll give you 1/4 .for each of them.'

'Its a deal'

'here is one gold piece for your 4 goblin spears'

We're playing Dungeons and Dragons not Taxes and Trades so some abstraction with economics makes sense.
>>
>>54317012
the usual reason given is that second-hand equipment is usually damaged and dirty
also, you dont know where it came from, so there is an uncertainty to its quality, since you have to to take the sellers word for it

and if the storkeeeper is looking to re-sell it, he would want to buy low and sell high
>>
>>54317012

Can't be sure you really killed them goblins, they may come looking for these shitty swords
>>
>>54317109
A quarter is borderline theft though when talking normal gear.
Why would it be dirty or damaged all the time though? Sure, if you fought like a month old zombfied soldiers, their gear wouldve been slightly rusted due to lack of maintenance, so sure, but eg mercenary gear? It should be in about as good shape as it can be.

Dirt however I can't agree with, for me it seems like a logical assumption that you'd clean up any dirty items before trying to sell them off.
>>
>>54317012
Used goods.
>>
>>54317217
Unarmed goblins are hardly a threat.
>>
>>54316335
It can get annoying when thatguy does it.
>>
>>54316335
>Do you get mad if your players loot defeated enemies?

Not in the slightest, as long as they could plausibly carry.it and won't chimp out when no one anywhere will buy a rustuly, chipped skaven sword off them.

Really WFRP encourages looting for equipment.
>>
>>54316366
I don't get it. My group travels in a cart with reinforced wheels. We can afford the weight and space.

How do you travel?
>>
>>54317109
>enemies carry damaged weapons
>they still behave exactly like good ones
Best DM.
>>
>>54317339
By foot. Horses are foreign oddities and ox-carts are for farmers, merchants and women.
>>
>>54317280

>quarter is borderline theft

Are you saying that a quarter is theft in that the players should get more than that for damaged, mundane gear or that they should get less than that ?
>>
>>54316988
>maille
>>
>>54317360
>THIS IS DAMAGED!!!
>btw I'm still gonna sell it for four times the price I'm buying it from you
>>
>>54317361
What
>>
>>54317344
Your used PlayStation, TV, hammer , car, clothes , etc likely function much the same but none the less they're worth less second hand.

New things are always worth more beyond literal antiques.
>>
>the equipment was damaged during the fight and became worthless

anyway, the only annoying part about is that if the players are too lazy to calculate their own inventory weight
make some effort if you are greedy
>>
>>54317217
Why would you tell the shopkeeper how you got them?
>>
>>54316335
Why wouldn't you loot a defeated enemy?
>>
>>54317391
Sure but it's not worth a quarter of the price.
>>54317394
That's a belief-breaking cop-out.
>>54317400
Because otherwise they might be stolen.
>>
>>54317391
That's just second hand, not usually damaged and dirty.

Yes, they are worth less but you will have a hard time justifying a quarter.
>>
>>54317414
>ah, so you are the shopkeeper who brought my nondescript longsword? guards arrest him!
>>
File: 1498266853766.png (292KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1498266853766.png
292KB, 512x512px
>>54317012
You expect to get list price for an item? How's he to make his money back? And it's not as if there's a shortage of cheap arming swords, you're not exactly negotiating from a position of power here.
>>
>>54317439
Yes, anon, that is what happens.
>nondescript
Nigger even munitions stuff was painted and shit.
>>54317442
It's the 1/4 that seems excessive.
>>
>>54317356
>and ox-carts are for farmers, merchants and women.
How is that an excuse? All of them bought their carts from somewhere, just enter the shop and commission one. Money can buy anything.

And while I admit we had to suck the dick out of a noble for a horse. How much weight do you think this small Asian woman is carrying? Horses are a luxury, but even if you don't have one, a cart is extremely useful. Make the characters take turns. The wheel is one of civilizations greatest invention exactly because it allows you carry like 10 times your weight.

We love our cart and we would fight into TPK if the GM tries to take it away from us.
>>
>>54317439
>you forgot the tiny etching at the base of the blade
never make a blade without it
>>
>>54317453
the 5e PHB actually lists 1/2 as the standard selling price for looted equipment

although you could possibly sell it at full price no questions asked to certain strangers in the backalley...
>>
>>54317378
Err, yeah that's how merchants earn money? They buy goods at a reduced price and sell them on for more ergo they profit and stay in business. This is bare basics economics.
>>
>>54317459
Nigger you do not have enough money to change the social expectations of a cultural group.
This isn't about money you retard.
>Make the characters take turns
>>
>>54317378
Hey if you want to sell it for full price clean it up, repair it, open a shop, learn how to haggle, hire a few clerks and then sit on your inventory for 6 months until someone dumb enough to buy it comes along. Or you could sell it to me for beer money so you don't have to carry it anymore and get back to adventuring
>>
>>54317453
You are pretty mistaken if you believe that there is a mark in every sword used by a mook.

Or that somehow the owner will go city to city asking random shopkeepers to let them check if the swords they have on stock aren't his.

>>54317464
>>
>>54317475
Anon the point is that the goods being damaged doesn't have anything to do with the disparity between the merchant's buy and sell price, unless he's fixing it up in between.
>>
>>54317464
>make
Sorry PC blacksmith, we are talking about mooks here.
>>
>>54317492
Well it's the fact the goods are

>A: Used

>B: being sold to someone who has to make a profit selling them on

So 1/4 works.

Players can of course haggle for a bit more. Likewise if they find a cache of new mundane gear they can sell that for 1/2 price.
>>
>>54317501
This is a munitions helmet. It is the cheapest kind of helmet you could buy. It was quickly produced for the lowest rung of the military ladder.

Does it look nondescript to you?
>>
>>54317490
the lack of branding on a sword should be more than enough reason not to buy it at market price

you can never trust generic brand
>>
>>54317459
Yes, I'm sure hauling a cart like that through forests, mountains and all the other wild terrain the PCs might go is gonna be easy-peasy.
>>
>>54317532
>So 1/4 works
No it doesn't. 1/4 is ridiculously low. By all means make it less than full price, but by God don't make it a quarter.
>>
A pawn shop owner will buy shit for maybe half what he can sell it for if and only if it is definitely legal, and he knows for a fact he can onsell it very quickly and has no chance of being stuck with it.

A quarter for dubious, unproven goods from a dude you never met who's not from here and just walked in with like ten swords is generous, especially if they are just dumping them for the first or second offer they get.

If they spent a day cleaning the shit up and getting them organised and paid for a smith to check them out and say they're okay in a nice letter, a third would be fitting.

If they spent 2-3 days checking different buyers out, negotiating fiercely, making offers and bundles and splitting the goods up to sell different places to optimise value, bump it to 1/3.

If they do both, then 1/2.

And if any of the characters is a merchant or smith or trader or the like, then I won't make them test for anything since that is the basic skill of such people.
>>
File: AB0331-1000.jpg (139KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
AB0331-1000.jpg
139KB, 1000x1000px
>>54317539
>see my cherry picked example
Try to use something closer to DnD.
>>
>>54317588
sauce
>>
>>54317541
This isn't a car, if the sword has a brand it's probably masterwork.
>>
>>54317356
THEN HAVE I GOT THE BEAST FOR YOU! CRAZY HASSAN IS MY NAME, AND I GOT THAT NAME FOR THE UNBELIEVABLE PRICES I SELL MY SLIGHTLY USED CAMELS FOR! YES, IT'S TRUE MY FRIEND, MANY MILES LEFT IN THEM! WHAT'S A CAMEL? LONG STORY, BUT YOU NEED ONE! COME IN RIDING, CARRYING, AND DUAL SPORT MODELS! BUY TWO AND I'LL THROW IN A BEAUTIFUL RUG WOVEN BY MY LOVELY WIFE AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE! YES MY FRIEND, WHETHER YOU'RE IN THE DESERT, THE PRARIE, ON A MOOR, IN THE WOODS, IN THE MOUNTAINS, ON THE STEPPE, ON A TUNDRA, ON THE MOON - YOU! NEED! A! CAMEL!

I accept payment in all silver, gold, and copper currencies, weighing pending.
>>
>>54317602
>Even rarer is munition armour that, like this helmet, retains its original painted decoration. A great deal of armour left ‘rough-from-the-hammer’ seems to have been brightly painted, with heraldic devices or livery colours. The helmets were sometimes emblazoned with monstrous, scowling faces, a fashion still popular with some modern soldiers...A painted finish was still somewhat fragile however, and only a handful of early sixteenth-century helmets survive today with their original surfaces even partially intact.
Of course, if you go further back in time, then the average soldier gets richer.
>>
>>54317344
>kill armored enemies
>their armor is miraculously undamaged
Best DM.
>>
>>54317625
There is actually a push for camels, as they are better suited to the not!African climate. However, it's a relatively recent push, and mostly only the family members of those with connections to the camels have them.
>>
>>54317629
>>54317539

Just thought of something. A few soldiers would have spent the dosh to get stuff painted by real artists, but how many would just bring some paints for their armour just to have something to fucking do on campaign?
>>
>>54317612
fine, go buy your generic brand blades
they will break in a day

if you dont buy from quest-buy, your goods were probably made in a cave by goblins
>>
>>54317649
>kill armored enemy
>you somehow hit every single piece of armor in their bodies before they died
>>
>>54317678
well, if the armor has even a single hole in it, that would be good enough reason to caast doubt on its efficacy
>>
>>54317035
People sure as fuck would as long as it's still of decent quality. You think that people just burn or throw away perfectly functioning clothes and things just because the former owner is deceased? If that isn't the case now, in a time of material affluence, what makes you think that people living with a relative scarcity of material would do so?
>>
>>54317568
Seems generous to me. I've heard plenty of advice that says don't give the players anything for monster gear.

2 silver and 50 copper seems very generous for a shitty goblin spears (worth 1 gp new) considering your average commoner makes 1 silver piece a day working.

Likewise if players want to set up their own 'monster gear mart' they can and charge more.
>>
>>54317629
>sometimes
You are pretty mistaken if you think that custom equipment is the rule.
>>
>>54317568
You remind me of 60 multimeltas guy.
>>
>>54317706
>attacked by legbreakers from the weaponsmiths guild for encroaching on their territory
>rumor mongers begin spreading that your weapons will give the user eye blight and the plague
>>
>>54317688
>you only sell in sets
>>
File: 1498144152424.jpg (430KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1498144152424.jpg
430KB, 768x1024px
>>54317612
Any smith worth their hammer has a mark they put on their goods. A item without either comes from a culture that doesn't recognize that you are judged by your work (goblin, gnoll, chinese), or else someone deliberately making cheap weapons as fast as possible.
>>
>>54317678
I mean, that does tend to be the point of armor - blocking blows that would otherwise carve up your relatively soft meat. You might not hit every piece of it, but by the time you kill someone in combat it'll be a lot more damaged than when you started.
>>
>>54317706
Sounds like they're talking from a "gamey" perspective rather than a realism one. For dungeon crawler style games you just need to suspend disbelief a lot.

Can't be that shitty if they sell for 1 gp new.
>>
>>54317733
And that's one reason why you're selling at a discount. Because you're trying to hawk pieces of armor to someone who is going to want to sell them in full sets.
>>
>>54317738
Not necessarily.

A lot of professional blacksmiths still don't feel comfortable with putting their mark on items, simply because they don't think they're 'worthy'.

Or it smacks of egotism.
>>
>>54317035

Conan reference?
>>
>>54317746
The fuck do you think combat is, some kinda epic super saiyan fight? It lasts like a few seconds.
>>
>>54317765
Poorfags overwhelmingly didn't buy things in sets.
>>
>horses are a luxury

Get some mules or ponies.
>>
>>54317738
Okay, let's roll with this.

Seeing how this blacksmith sold weapons to countless people, who some were brigrands who then had their weapons stolen by a party. Those brigrands go after their weapons, so they decide to find them by looking at every shop for weapons with this mark?

No matter what the situation is still ridiculous. It's like someone stole your Doritos stockpile, so you decide to go to every supermarket to see if they are selling plenty of Doritos.
>>
>>54317765
Every piece has a different price and different time to be made. Buying only in sets is silly.
>>
File: lorA2.jpg (24KB, 551x590px) Image search: [Google]
lorA2.jpg
24KB, 551x590px
>>54317688
That's highly dependent on what sort of armour we're talking about. Some things can be quite easily repaired and it's not like every type of armour is fashioned in a way to render every weapon inefficient against it.
If I'm not mistaken archeological findings of Lorica Segmentata, the stereotypic roman armour, is often found with repeated repairs of varying competence, suggesting that the legionaries themselves tended to it.
>>
>>54317802
It's not!Africa. The reason horses are a luxury is because they're from thousands of miles away, and they only arrive on boats.
>>
>>54317807
I'm not involved in the tracking-down-loot argument, I agree it's dumb.
>>
>>54317852
>not!Africa
Buy a slave.
>>
>>54317807
Yeah governments would never concern themselves with stolen goods.
>>
>>54317852
Then use slaves or servants for it.
>>
>>54317868
Sorry: specifically, the trafficking of stolen goods.
>>
>>54317867
>>54317873
That's what people do. For this situation they'd probably have ox-driving camp followers, anyway (the looting thing really only being a thing if you're expecting big battles).
The players, however, are the arsehole of the "aristocracy" (similar to poorfag hidalgos), and so are not rich enough. They could capture some slaves or make some money, though.
It's not like I'm actively stopping them from having carts or something, that's just how it ended up. It's not a big deal, either, seeing as they're not on campaign.
>>
>>54316335
I am the only player in my current party who dosent loot anything besides gold and end of dungeon treasure. I chalk it up to being a pompus bard who would rather not touch filthy weapons and armor but really it just slows things down too much in my opinion.
>>
>>54317868
>be goverment
>someone stole some of your swords
>start a very expensive operation to track down the swords
>open an investigation into every shopkeeper who sells swords
>interrogate every single one of them to figure out if they recently brought some
>try to pinpoint which blacksmiths provides your military with swords
>verify every last one shop with swords to see if they carry those blacksmiths sell, trying to figure out who brought them
>realize you are a retard for simply not branding them with an official symbol that shows they were only usable for the military
>spent thousands of gold trying to pinpoint the responsible
>finally realize that you could be tracking the guy who actually stole them instead of the product
>commit suicide when realizing your own stupidity
>>
>>54316335
Here's the major problem, from an RPG perspective: in order to make the game stable and fun, (human) enemies are typically much weaker than they should be/the players are. Even fairly low level characters will often be slicing through bandits and guards in huge numbers, because if they were facing equal enemies, PCs would drop very quickly. A lot of mooks means a lot of weapons, suits or armour, etc. which may well be of high quality to boot: your DM wants enemies to seem cool and intimidating, and being the underdog against the vastly better supplied evil empire is a popular trope. The upshot of all this is that PCs will become extremely wealthy even if they only take a few things from each enemy, and proper looters could start to outfit their own private army within a few sessions. Your DM doesn't want this, because he doesn't want you to have high-end gear by level 5 and he doesn't want treasure to become obsolete. Therefore, many DMs will, quite reasonably, restrict looting to keep the game engaging for longer.

Other issues include: carry weight is overly generous, most games don't model wear and tear (or bloodstains) on armour, and the fact that your heroic image may be tarnished by haggling over 500 pair of dead men's boots with your local quartermaster, but they're not really the underlying issue.
>>
>>54317843
HMMMMMMMMMMM
SOLDIERS
TENDING
TO
THEIR
OWN
EQUIPMENT?

FUCKIN HELL MATE
YOU JUST BLEW MY no seriously way to go fag
>>
>>54317783
>RPG
Arrows aren't as bad, but if you hit a mook with a fireball or longsword hard enough to kill them through their armour it's going to be all kinds of fucked up.
>>
>>54317414
>Because otherwise they might be stolen.
They still might be, though. If I stole shit and tried to sell it I wouldn't say I stole it. That'd be idiotic.
>>
>>54317807
What kind of party leaves the brigands alive to come looking for their swords in the first place?
>>
>>54316335
I wouldn't leave magic weapons in a chest for the players to find. If there is some intelligent foe, they would use it.
>>
>>54317313
I hear they spread disease.
>>
>>54317075

I wanted to post "I would play the fuck out of Taxes and Trade"

But then, no, I wouldn't.
>>
>>54318037
Perhaps you should understand the context of my comment before posting and making a fool out of yourself. It was obviously in reference to >>54317688 claim that damaged armour's continued efficiency is something which one should be sceptical of. The fact that soldiers apparantly made regular repairs, which might even have been of a lackluster quality, seems to refute this quite strongly.
>>
>>54317979
Are you pretending that these situations are imaginary?
>>
>>54318130
In the specific place where they were hit, yes.
>>
>>54317688
Do you think that an entire set of armor is just one continuous piece of material?

Are you completely fucking RETARDED?
>>
>>54317765
My god, you are actually retarded. Shut the fuck up about things you know nothing about.

Unless you're going to explain the plethora of customers who will only need one piece of an armor set replaced. No, actually, don't try. Every time you open your mouth it's like pure aural pain for anyone with an IQ higher than 50.
>>
File: capitailim-whore.jpg (7KB, 213x236px) Image search: [Google]
capitailim-whore.jpg
7KB, 213x236px
>>54317453

Capitalism 101.

Buy brand new item, fresh from smithy, wholesale at 50 gold.
Sell for 100 gold, use extra 50 to pay rent, protection, hired help, etc.
Smith *could* sell it for 100 gold, but he's not a salesman, and anyway, he lives 2 towns over.
Easier to sell his entire months production in one big lot.

OK so far?

OK, so you got this beat up goblin sword. Its decently maintained, sure, but Gobby's been using it for 5-10 years: metal,s tarnished, bits of the hilt deco have fallen off, and it...smells like goblin.
A shiny new sword with the same stats is worth 100 gold. Dude could maybe sell for 50, just because it has more...uh...character that the cheap machetes he sells for 20. Certainly it's taking up space he could be using to sell a 100 gold new sword.
So he pays you 25, sells it for 50, and pays off the Thieves' Guild for another week.
>>
>>54319300
Why would you sell a sword for twice the price you bought it from the smith? That's some fucking huge margins, anon.
>>
>>54317625
as an arab, I legitimately love this guy
>>
>>54319329
You really have no idea how much overhead even modern businesses operate under.

25 gold for for your ugly little gobbo table knife. Or sell it to the itinerant tinker as scrap for 5-10, when he shows up next week. You're choice, murderhobo.
>>
>>54319404
Nigger the smith will just sell to the guy who buys it for a reasonable price instead of half what he's selling it for.
>>
>>54319392
Nobody needed to know that, bacon hater.
>>
>>54319329
I'm not sure how well it translates, but in restaurants it's generally advised to sell a dish at three times the cost of the ingredients.
>>
>>54319437
That doesn't translate given the cooks are doing more than just selling the ingredients on. You're paying for the service more than the ingredients.
>>
>>54319412
Three days trudge to the nearest half assed town. A full week to the Big city. If you're lucky, you can catch up to the last caravan before those gobbo's shiv you in your sleep.

The merchant's also the innkeeper and the militia captain. Not only is he the only businessman in this little squat village, it'd be a bad idea to piss him off.

27 gold, and if you keep trying to haggle like a damn gnome, you won't get a bed tonight.
>>
>>54319437
Yes, because restaurants actually cook the food.
>>
>>54319417
I love turkey bacon anon, besides, say what you will but I could do worse. I could be a dirty tripfag
>>
>>54319514
>Three days trudge to the nearest half assed town
The fuck kinda person do you think this swordsmith is? He's gonna be a burger, not some poor pleb. Village smiths would make agricultural tools, man.
>>
>>54319532
>I love turkey bacon
Behold, the plight of the Muslim. A modern tragedy. At least you can drink away your sorrows.

Oh.
>>
>>54319514
>The merchant's also the innkeeper and the militia captain
>DM on a powertrip
Obviously the right answer is to kill him and then the DM.
>>
I never really thought about it, but our group kinda has an unspoken agreement to only look enchanted stuff. Non-magical weapons and armor are left to rust on the battlefield without as much as a second glance.

One of the party members does have a somewhat disturbing habit of butchering enemies and having their remains turned into armor. He's currently wearing the enchanted skull of one enemy as a helmet and the enchanted skin of another as his armor.
>>
>>54319412
Why don't all these banana farmers down in africa just sell their stuff themselves. It's surely way easier than selling them to big trading companies for a fraction of what they need to survive. They are obviosly just not as smart as you.
>>
>>54319612
Yes, the banana farmers are clearly in the exact same position as a middle-class swordsmith in a bustling town or city.
>>
>>54319601
Isn't it irresponsible to leave dangerous weapons lying about?
>>
>>54319533
Burgher.
The "Burger" is the rich ass PC in shiny platemail and an obvious +5 greatsword who thinks he can intimidate hard-working villagers into buying cheap goblin trash.
>>
>>54319626
"Irresponsible" is a good description of almost every adventuring party I've ever been in.
>>
>>54319628
We're talking about smiths, anon. The whole idea of a smith selling their work for half of what the merchant's gonna sell it for is ridiculous.
>>
>>54317012
Because it's middle age but barter doesn't exist
>>
>>54319628
>all enemy drops are goblin battered equipment
You can drop this meme now.
>>
>>54319545
I love turkey bacon too. Goes great on a ham sandwich with a fried egg and some honey mustard.
>>
>>54319514
Often people would buy straight from the workshop.
>>
>>54317588
>>54317606

Any pawnbroker. Even flyovers have them, so you're being deliberately stupid at this point.
>>
>>54316988
This.

You might leave the armor because A. weight. B. you'd have to peel it off the corpse, and C. after putting a few holes in it the armor kinda looses value but as long as you could carry them there wasn't a good reason to leave a perfectly good sword behind.
>>
>>54317588
>pawn shop owner
Nigger pawn shop owners make it their whole business to screw over their customers.
>>
>>54319624
How are they not? Powerfull retailers had always the upper hand. Will people really go to your dirty smithy and haggle with an grumpy sweaty worker rather than going to the clean nice weapon shop were they receice proper service?
No. No, they won't.
>>
>>54319776
>Will people really go to your dirty smithy and haggle with an grumpy sweaty worker
Uh...yes. You'd often commission things from workshops, for example.
Medieval Europe was not the same as the modern third/developing world.
>>
>>54319626
Traditionally, the locals will spend a day or two recovering equipment / burying the dead after the troops move on. Anything the PCs don't take ends up in the local economy, for good or ill.
>>
File: 1361025861945.png (345KB, 499x583px) Image search: [Google]
1361025861945.png
345KB, 499x583px
>>54316990
>usually they can sell them but at a reduced rate 1/4
>>
>>54319753
Yes. And they're more honest about it than the so-called "legitimate businesses.

Are you 12?
>>
>>54317035
Why the fuck no?
>>
>>54319514
>The merchant's also the innkeeper and the militia captain.
Thats retarded.
A merchant is expected to travel constantly, he cant manage an inn, a shop, and the bloody militia.
>>
>>54319776
Yes? In TableRPGs and RPG games you buy directly from the blacksmith.
>>
>>54319812
Have you had any experience with the outside world at all?
>>
>>54319870
Real life, too.
>>
>>54319786
Than why were there even merchants and merchant guilds if everybody went straight to the producer? Obviosly some did that, but especially in cities and trading hubs, I doubt it.
>>
>>54320005
Your doubt isn't particularly convincing.
>>
>>54320005
You went to the merchants because dragging your ass down to Milano to buy a suit straight from the maker was a bit of a bother, both in terms of time and money. Most armour was bought off the rack anyway, even in the full plate crowd custom fitted armour was for the richest.

Of course, the maker here isn't some lone craftsman in his smithy. That's a modern day thing, when demand is nearly nonexistant for these things. The swordsmith will have apprentices, and probably a number of journeymen as well working for him. Some hammer away. The master probably does the quenching, if that's done at all. A few guys just file, grind and polish all day. And that only makes the blades, which they then sell by the barrel to a cutler (maybe in the same town, maybe halfway across Europe), who makes complete swords out of it, once again with a number of apprentices and journeymen under him. Sword belts are subcontracted form a leather worker. For fancy stuff goldsmiths may be hired.

Armour works the same. A single workshop can have a row of anvils with people working on them, then another row of grindstones where pieces are passed along from one guy to another, each doing their specific part. The larger single workshops could produce armour for entire armies in a matter of months.

Go down to one of these places to buy, and you're not going to go into the dirty forge, the smoothest talker amongst the apprentices will welcome you in the sales room.
>>
>>54320145
Fucking this. What's up with the autistic power-fantasy rp? The workshop's not gonna let some pissy merchant bend them over the barrel.
>>
>>54316335
I don't get mad, I just explain that the weapons they have are shit and their armor won't fit you.
>>
>>54320615
what are your players fighting
>>
>>54317075
Theres an argument to be made that the armour didnt exactly do the guy who died in it much good, even if it was perfectly good a shrewd businessman would argue its clearly of inferior quality
>>
>>54320702
And anyone with a modicum of intelligence would tell them to sod off.
>>
>>54320615
Is their damage and armor class shit too?
>>
>>54319853
A wandering one, maybe. With not much to his name except his cart and whatever wares are in it.
A successful merchant does not accompany any of his transports. He can send a hundred ships and thousands of wagons from his desk with the stroke of a quill.
>>
>>54316335
5e covers this by saying that goblins, orcs, etc have gear that is so shitty by normal standards that no one in their right mind would buy it off of you.
>>
>>54317339

a caravan of two carts.

One has a looted scorpion in the back.
The other we use for supplies like the 17 5-Gallon drums of white latex based paint and the 3.5ft diameter wheel of cheese.
>>
>>54321117
What about outlaws and soldiers?
>>
>>54319514
Why wouldn't the smith just live in the Big City?
>>
>>54321148
>and the 3.5ft diameter wheel of cheese.
My great-great-great-grandfather came to England and, for half a year, subsisted entirely on one massive wheel of cheese.
>>
>>54320145
I'm not saying that this is inefficent, because it's not, but this is an assembly line. I'm not sure that workshops operated on a proper industrial scale like that until Ford came along, but it is plausable.
>>
>>54321610
What that poster has described is not in any way "industrial scale" and neither is it a true assembly line.

Imagine having five apprentices and 5 journeyman under you. The apprentices know jack squat about smithing, so you start them doing simple tasks, over and over until they can do it in their sleep.
If they have a good result, they hand it over to one of the older apprentices or journeymen, so they can do more difficult work on it.

It is not a line, but more dividing labour in a way befitting each worker's skill level and responsibilities. As the master, you would mostly check the results, while spending most of your time on bespoke items worthy of your experience and skill.
>>
File: princess_party.jpg (229KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
princess_party.jpg
229KB, 760x596px
>>54321737
I see what you're saying. I got pretty distracted by >>54320145 saying that people were doing the same thing all day and just hand off their intermediate product to another worker. I was also assuming apprentices could only produce nails and shit, nothing really very productive to labor. He also mentioned the master not doing any work, which violates my headcannon for blacksmiths and seems very much like a factory floor manager.
>>
>>54319329
Breaking the theme but beats headphones cost 12 usd to make. They sell for 200+.
>>
>>54321894
I think there is place for a lot of different ways to portray blacksmithes and master/apprentice relationships. Depending on what kind of game you run in what rough time period, and where the smith in question lives.

A village or little town smith, who mostly makes tools and the occasional weapon for the constabulary or hunters and travelers could very well have a binary master/apprentice relationship, where they work very closely together and it is a constant personal lesson.

In bigger cities or later time periods where artisan guilds become more common, and the a smithing master is running a real business, with lots of contracts to fulfill, offloading every possible workstep to apprentices and underlings is a necessity.

If you need to supply 60 arming swords to the City Watch by next Monday, everyone will have to work together and form something indeed quite assembly line-like.
>>
>>54316988
>bring a whole ton of workers and carts
This is why the Leadership feat is awesome.
>>
>>54316990
Wouldn't mind you dropping that equipment table.
>>
>>54316335
It depends. Usually no.

Now, if a cleric who reveres the dead is doing full body-cavity searches on some dead warriors who fought and died honorably then I'm going to be mad.
>>
>>54317335
But also states that most enemies have shitty equipment hard to sell
>>
>>54316990
>and I even have a generator to see what each individual kill was carrying
post the table you cuck
>>
>>54319658
Transportation. Rent in shopping district. Protection from murderhobos.
>>
>>54321998
>>54321894
I think I finally understand what are all of you talking about.

So in towns,villages,hamlets, etc. You find a solitary blacksmith working on his shop, or a blacksmith and his apprentice.

But in a city, where people with power and money hang around, you would have an assembly of people constantly working and meeting the never ending demands.

Because of this, the PCs should not have access to the blacksmith in a city, since he would be too busy to attend their needs. And they would have to buy their stuff from the merchants at a higher price, who are the guys that buy all the stuff the blacksmith makes.

Very interesting, thanks guys.
>>
>>54319658
Where is the ideal location for a smith? What resources does a smith need and where does he acquire them to work on his armor and weapons?
>>
>>54322478
>Where is the ideal location for a smith?
Big city.
>>
>>54322478
Close to where you sell it so you don't have to deal with the costs of transportation and close to the supplies for the same reason. So big city
>>
My last GM was a real asshole about this.
Enemy weapons/gear were always broken for some reason. Magic shit had some protection or something on them and the cost of removing the protection so you could use it was coincidentally how much it would cost to just buy the fucking item.
>>
>>54323249
Like... why? What purpose does it serve to stop players from looting corpses? Even if they get genuinley useful gear, how is this a problem? If you're worried they'll get too much money just reduced the rest of the loot so it evens out to your autistic calculation of how much they should have.
>>
>>54323571
All it takes is one bad experience of players grinding the game to a halt in order to strip every corpse of all valuables, even when they don't have a reasonable means to carry it, like it's a video game. Then you start pulling shit like that.
>>
>>54323907
How does it grind the game to a halt?
>I want to strip this guy naked. Would you guys help me and strip the others?
>sure
done, everyone is stripped
>now we take their stuff and move on. Agreed?
>yeah
done, everyone took their shit
>>
>>54323907
part of the leveling experience is taht at some point you'll want to get servants or hire people to carry loot for you. Since you have to pay and feed them, and add to that a generous bonus so that they dont fuck off with your loot and you have a way to regulate gold income without artificially limiting your players
>>
Problem is "I loot this character" doesn't work in rpgs

They have pouches which need to be cut off and if you want to extract lootskis from animals or dragons you have to cut open their bellies properly or skin their hides in a way that doesn't damage the goods

Might require skillchecks u kno
>>
>>54324122
Of course it require skillchecks, doe your GM doesn't make you roll for looting?

Mine makes us roll a perception check to learn what stuff he has, if we fail, our character may not realize he has a pouch hiding under the character's cloak.

Then he makes us roll again to successfully extract whatever item we are extracting from him. If we fail he just tells me "you can't get it off, its too tight, the knife doesn't seem to be working on it either", "you smashed the poach's content with your hands, liquid starts pouring" "the cut you did to strip him naked went too deep and you damaged the cloth/armor/whatever"
>>
>>54324302
>>54324302
I'm the GM and i get my players sometimes going
"I loot the guy"
And then im just wondering if they just want me to give them the shit. Its similar whenever they encounter a situation thats remotely new or slightly dangerous, sometimes they're just quiet af until i literally tell them their options because videogame logic doesn't work and they're scared of losing their virtual characters that can be remade in an hour
>>
>>54324395
>sometimes they're just quiet af until i literally tell them their options because videogame logic
I know that feel bro
>>
>>54324467
>make compelling campaign with engaging npcs and storylines
>put a lot of effort into characters and how they all interact with each other
>detail everything, make it realistic
>give them a house with stuff to put in
>effort is wasted because they go out and adventure and don't roleplay in the house with the characters there
>they just mark down checklists
>fuck it give them dungeoncrawls + quests that involve easy solutions
>players complain about a lack of immersion with a fucking list

???
>>
>>54316335
Why would you? That's the entire point of dungeoneering style games. You'd have to have some kind of contrived roleplaying reason not to.
>>
>>54317035
[Citation needed]
>>
I get a little amusement out of it from my players. Every time at the end of combat someone immediately shouts that he's looting the bodies, calling dibs. After a couple of arguments of everybody being selfish assholes trying to get everything for himself they at least come to a compromise and establish looting/dib rules. Still funny that they go for whatever has the most immediate value, while the ones who arent greedy end up with a superior or magical item.
>>
>>54319545
Well, there's always your dog to comfor-

Shit.
>>
>>54324831
what
>>
>>54324807
>GM admits to screw players while calling them selfish assholes
>>
>>54324844
Muslims can't have dogs
>>
>>54324916
huh

Turns out they are allowed to keep 'em, they're just controversial/looked down upon in a quasi-folk way.
>>
>>54316335
Yes, I also get mad if they fight enemies I want them to run away from, avoid enemies I want them to fight, and solve puzzles in the wrong way.
>>
>>54324916
>>54324951
Not meaning to derail the thread but theres sub-cultures within people who are religious who don't care about every small part of some old book

Not a muslim myself but i've grown up with muslims who've drunk alcohol and whatever
>>
>>54319545
>>54324831
This is why Muslims and only Muslims routinely blow themselves up
>>
>>54316335
If it's mundane stupid shit then I would get a little annoyed at them constantly checking bodies. If it's stuff that's better than their own(let's say they defeat a knight armored in full plate), it would only be common sense to jack his armor. But if it was a constant issue I'd just turn everything into daggers. Literally you only find daggers until they stop holding up the game trying to carry rinkydink shortswords. ringmail, and whatnot
>>
>>54324876
They screw themselves. If they want to grab the gems and jewels over some glass whistle without giving it a thought to inspect or test it (to see that the whistle will summon two skeletons as their thralls, then that's on them).
>>
>>54317664
Painting your armour in the 16th century led to painting your miniatures in the 21st.
Fucking hell, this hobby has quite a pedigree.
>>
>>54324807
>After a couple of arguments of everybody being selfish assholes trying to get everything for himself they at least come to a compromise and establish looting/dib rules.
Why didn't you just told them "alright, roll 'initiative'" for looting? . Could have saved everyone's time and no one will argue anymore.
>>
>>54325186
>the game trying to carry rinkydink shortswords. ringmail, and whatnot
I assure you no player loots believing they would find something like that. All they want is something to sell to earn a little bit of extra money so they can feed their families, or maybe buy a horse.
>>
>>54326138
They'll get upset regardless. One will be upset that he rolled low. another will get smarmy that he rolled high. These guys can barely split money they find without some way of pocketing even the tiniest bit extra for themselves.
>>
>>54317492
Just going to chip in my 2 cents here, the kind of gear adventurers are likely to get ahold of is probably not in the best condition (due to some combination of poor maintenance by goblins/bandits/whatever and battle damage from when it's previous owner was murdered while using it).

This means the shopkeeper will have 2 main options:
1: sell it as-is for below the standard price
2: spend money to have it repaired (or time and materials to do it himself) so he can sell it at full market value.

If the PCs find a shipment of new weapons in pristine condition then sure, half market value. But for standard loot someone lost a battle with the merchant is going to have extra expenses.

I'm not familiar with medieval repair costs and profit margins, but I wouldn't be surprised by a merchant buying damaged gear at 1/4 market value.
>>
>>54316335
I hate it because it slows down the game just so players can loot stuff they can later sell for a pittance. Not worth the time or effort.
>>
>>54326336
Maybe you, the GM, should try to fix the system and accelerate the mechanic instead of removing it?
>>
>>54326328
Poor maintenance seems unlikely. Would you treat like shit the thing which you stake your life on? Significant damage, also, is unlikely. Metal armour and weapons do not fall apart so easy.
And really, half alone is ridiculously cheap.
>>
>>54326350
Like removing it entirely? Seems like a great idea, thanks anon.
>>
>>54326350
I just give them however much gold the shitty loot would be worth instantly to shut them up
>>
>>54317361
That's how it's properly spelt, plebeian.
>>
>>54326377
Not bad actually. Might even copy it.
>>
I've been thinking of an encounter in a tavern ending with half a dozen dead merchants and their bodyguards.

The merchants are from pseudo Venice and would wear clothes of high quality with lots of hidden pockets where they'd hide coin pouches/belts and wear some jewelry, to find most of those I'd have my group roll some test and depending of the results they'd gain a certain amount of those high priced loot. I would have my group gain by default the small pouches found on a bodyguards, each of them would hold about 40 silver coins.

Is 500 Gold coins a believable amount form 9 corpses, it's rather early in the campaign? They might get some more cash if they strip the corpses and pawn the various gears. They'd have to bribe the owner where the murder happened
>>
>>54326394
>spelt
>>
>>54326500
I have no idea what system you're using.
>>
>>54326535
Green ronin's SIFRP
>>
>>54326555
Then sorry, I dunno how much a gold piece translates to. What kinda shit could the players buy with 500gp?
>>
>>54317664
Painting your armour was also a good way to drastically decrease the maintenance required to keep it from rusting.
IIRC chainmail, to stop it from rusting, was carried in a bag of sand when not in use.
>>
>>54316335
No, but I also don't take pity on them if they walk into an unexpected(they should be expecting shit) encounter over-encumbered with useless trash.

On another note my chaotic good paladin who buries all his slain human enemies in accordance with his patron deity's wishes once slaughtered a party member because he insisted on taking the heirloom ring off a noble we failed to save. That player still hates me. I honestly don't blame him, but thems the brakes kid.
>>
>>54326586
>IIRC chainmail, to stop it from rusting, was carried in a bag of sand when not in use.
Is this legit? I will implement it in my character if true.

Do you think the group think I'm autistic or retarded?
>>
>>54326626
>but I also don't take pity on them if they walk into an unexpected(they should be expecting shit) encounter over-encumbered with useless trash.
Its not like it takes more than a round to drop your backpack/bag

Worth the money, imo
>>
>>54319532
Turkey Bacon cannot be properly compared to Pig Bacon. It's like comparing fillet of beef with chicken fillet. If you haven't tried proper bacon I urge you to do it. I haven't read that much of the Quran and none of the hadiths but isn't there some way to atone or ritually cleanse yourself after eating pork in islam? I know that it isn't forbidden in an emergency so there most be some way to make amends for it.
>>
>>54326564
This, come on. Would like to learn more about SIFRP too
>>
>>54326635
It was certainly rolled in barrels of sand.
>>
>>54326652
It's not a Hindu thing, i.e. it's not like you're made impure by the bacon. Basically it's a "don't do this thing because it will make me mad -- oh but obviously I'm not gonna be mad if you did it to not die, I'm not an idiot" thing.

So I would guess that you can't just cheese it.
>>
>>54326564
a brigandine+a decent shield/weapon is something that can be bought with 15 gp.
Merchants clothes of good makes can go to some 50 gp, depending of the merchant's girth and what kind of cloth is used.
>>
>>54326635
When I make a quick google search the various pages seem to support the notion of rolling your chainmail in sand to stop the rust from settling in.

I can't speak for anyone but my historically and background interested self but I sure as hell would like that sort of detail
in any campaign that I was playing, especially if the person providing it could justify or atleast rationalise the action.
If you're still uncertain you could always ask your group how they would take that level of detail. An ongoing dialogue is key to any relationship.
>>
>>54326362
I'm not saying the stuff wouldn't work as well or anything like that, I'm saying they'd likely be scratched and scuffed, and the armor would have obvious patches in it.

I wouldn't pay as much for an ugly, beat up (but perfectly functional) item as I'd pay for a pristine new one, and I'm guessing most people are the same.
>>
>>54316335
I don't,
I find it provides room for role playing, and a nice way to throw "things" at them.

Nothing wrong with thinking
"that looks useful, into the sack with you"
provide that you don't expect to be able to haul everything around.

If I was your DM I'd be tempted to encourage you to incorporate "let not a weapon lie forgotten" into your character.
>>
>>54326713
Atoning or ritually cleansing yourself can be anything between complicated and prolonged self- or societial-enforced suffering to a quick wash or even letting some time pass.
>>
>>54326564
3 people with 500gp could buy an inn together as a kind of joint partnership
>>
>>54317602
Actually a lot of armour was "scrubbed" by Victorian curators of the original paint to get the shiny metal finish, because it better fit the image they had.
>>
>>54326635
>autistic or retarded
why not both?
but that's a thing that happened.

I'd ask them and see.
One of the guys I play with It into his MMA and likes to describe his fistycuffs, It sounds bad but adds to the game in a positive fashion.
>>
>>54326362
You are not thinking straight.

Object A costs 100gp in a shop owned by Mister Merchant
Object B is damaged, not much but damaged still. A used up item is often sold at half the price. So Mister Merchant can only get to sell it for a maximum price of 50gp.
But its not Mister Merchant who found the damaged object, it was you, the adventurer. If Mister Merchant cares about his business. Then he will have to buy Object B from you at a LOWER price than what he will sell the object on his shop, this is, he can only pay 50gp or less, and the difference is his profit.

So your regular merchant will not buy you the object for any price higher than 25gp, maybe 30gp if you use barter/diplomacy. For an object that, brand new, is worth 100gp.

So yeah, 1/4 the original price is pretty reasonable and realistic in my mind.
>>
>>54326328
>enemies have poor weapons meme
Do you actually make your enemies have less damage? Their weapons falling apart in middle of battle?
>>
>>54326795
Sorry for that answer, alchohol + just skimming a conversation can have some drastic effects on what meaning you gather from it.

If it's just a matter of making god a bit angry/disappointed I don't really see the harm in testing it. If anything you could justify it as a test of religious piety. After all it's not exactly hard to follow a code of behaviour if you haven't ever been confronted with anything that lures you away from the path of righteousness. Then again the only former-muslim person I've had any meaningful interaction with have (jokingly) told me that bacon was the main culprit in him leaving his religion.
>>
>>54319404
>25 gold for for your ugly little gobbo table knife. Or sell it to the itinerant tinker as scrap for 5-10, when he shows up next week. You're choice, murderhobo.
You'll pay me 100 gold, or I kill you and take everything you own that isn't bolted to the floor.

>evil alignment best alignment.
>>
>>54326855

Bandits are basically broken men or serfs turned rogue, so they should definitely have shit gear compared to what you would have. Like bows and regular spears and falchions*.

Some evil goddamn knight and his evil cunt party would have prime shit though

* but not pathfinder falchions
>>
>>54326912
No, I'm asking if you make your bandits have less damage. Because every bandit with a shortsword I see deals 1d6 to me.
>>
>>54316335
No, not really, but it's also not something I have to worry about.

Most of the time, if I don't explicitly inform my players of what their characters can do, they never do it anyway. If there's something annoying I don't want to deal with, I simply don't mention it and can rest easy knowing that 99% of players either don't read the rules or don't realize that everything is a go unless it's expressly forbidden by the rules.

If I had a player in a group actually say, "I loot the body," I'd probably shit myself.

Conversely
>reading this thread
>all the BUT REAL LIFE autism
I'm still glad most players are not like the people who frequent this site.

>>54317012
What merchant worth his salt buys items at full price, you fuckwit? You're getting the bottom dollar so that guy can make the most profit possible.
>>
>>54319823
Didn't keep the first guy from dying.
>>
>>54326954
What no that's ridiculous. Why would you give them swords, they're bandits, not people.

They should have daggers. Also, they should be Commoners. Also, they should all be individually CR 1/8 because of malnutrition, disease, and general inferiority to actual human beings.
>>
Go to Gamestop and see how much they pay cash. And that's for shit that works like brand-new, not shit that's literally in the shop getting traded in because it got its last owner killed.

Goblin spears in a monty haul campaign are going to have a tradein value comparable to, like, Gamecube Madden 2004.
>>
>>54327149
>>54327149
and how much is that?
>>
>>54327149
Literally nothing, how is a shopkeep in a village of 20 going to sell 50 goblin spears?
>>
>>54327275
Aren't goblin spears like just regular sticks for humans?
>>
>>54327290
No, they're definitely totally worth 1g a piece see it says that right here in the SRD.

t. powergamer
>>
>>54327275
What if it's a goblin village?
>>
>>54317706
Who would buy a shitty USED goblin spear anyways? probably too small, ugly, crooked with a stone head, fuck that.
>>
>>54327275
He could always melt down the speartips for horse shoe-material and resell/repurpose the wooden shafts. Granted that wouldn't exactly have the same value as 50 quality made spears.
>>
are spear heads made out of stone or metal?
what about arrow heads?

Maybe you should just break the spear and take the tip, the stick is probably worth nothing.
>>
I have a GM who just fucking LOVES throwing enemies (especially important ones) with the nastiest most powergamed gear possible against us, and when we invariably defeat it (or die trying), it's always some bullshit excuse why we're not able to use the weapon/equipment/jetpack/monofilament net gun. Doesn't matter if it's fantasy or cyberpunk, he will find an excuse why the things don't work. Either the power crystal mysteriously stops working as soon as the guy is defeated, or the weapon has a DNA lock on it (even though you're not even able to get that feature in the rulebook) or selfdestructs or we simply don't know how to use it, and will never do. We're also not allowed to resell them for reasons.

shit's annoying.
>>
>>54316335

Interestingly enough, in Exalted, looting defeated enemies is both essential and pointless at once.

Basically, the PC's most powerful weapon is himself. Mortal weaponry isn't even worth retrieving. But the daiklaives that Dragon-blooded (the most common kind of Exalted, and the ones the PCs are most likely to fight) are rather useful, and so is their jade armor.

Except, of course, once the PCs are armed, it's not like you can sell the other daiklaives and jade gear. Each one is worth, like, a small city block and is basically worthless to mortals (who can't even lift them.)
>>
>>54327836
That just sounds really shitty
>>
>>54326855
Actually go read what I wrote in >>54326755
I'm not saying their weapons would be shitty to the point of barely working (that would be low-level undead, if anything). I'm saying that people would typically pay less for scuffed, tarnished weapons with beat-up handles and so on, even if those weapons worked just as well as shiny new ones.
>>
Most armor gets damaged by the time you actually kill someone. Unless they wear enchanted heavy armor, leather gets chopped, chainmail ripped and so on. So most enemies' armor gets broken condition and bled on, and unless you're willing to put it money and effort to fix it, nobody will really want to pay you top dollar for it.

If you are arming a bunch of peasants to fight back against a horde of goblins, third hand nicked swords, ripped chainmail and sundered shields are pretty useful. You probably won't get paid for them though, but becoming the hero of Peasantville is its own reward.
>>
>>54326501
spelt and spelled are both correct and acceptable faggot.
>>
>>54317664
Full Metal Jerkin.
>>
>>54317075
>Taxes and Trades
I'd really like to play that.
>>
>>54317738
Putting your mark on weapons you sell is like begging for the town guard to roll in to harass you every time some moron gets shanked in a barfight.

A blacksmith worth his salt can get by on word of mouth alone.
>>
>>54329252
nah that's a shit tier game for faggots. You should play houses and humans, one of the best fantasy games I've ever played.
>>
>>54319554
All right lets all take a deep breath before we choke the fuckstick.
>>
>>54323249
>Enemy weapons/gear were always broken for some reason.
You mean like a merry band of murderhobos just spent the last five hours stabbing through and smashing it?

Astounding, really.
>>
>>54326299
Ah. The holy trifecta of role playing games. Tanky dickass thief, healy dickass thief, and dickass thief.
>>
File: 1450914827784.jpg (111KB, 616x600px) Image search: [Google]
1450914827784.jpg
111KB, 616x600px
>>54317602
>>54317539
How OK is it for me to dump pictures of helmets?
>>
>>54326747
yeah sandrolling was totally a thing. the great about mail tho is that polishes itself when you movie in it.
>>
File: peasant bascinet.png (260KB, 423x357px) Image search: [Google]
peasant bascinet.png
260KB, 423x357px
>>54331232
>>
I can understand the sentiment from a balance perspective.

In a 40K RPG I played a few months back we ended up beating a boss with high-end power-swords at the end of our first mission. Our guardsman/warrior looted the swords and from that point onward basically dominated the combat for the rest of the campaign. The rest of us are just now catching up to him in gear.

The GM toyed with the idea of making up some bullshit events that destroyed or took away the dude's swords, but decided against it because it'd be too obviously spiteful.
>>
>>54328389
Armor is still valuable even when damaged. Mail in particular is really easy to repair as you just need to replace some links.
>>
>>54331317
Why did he even let him have a power sword that early on anyway? He could have said it got damaged in the fight, or the power emitter was damaged and it's just a mundane sword or something.
>>
>>54331371

Well, there were two of them for one thing, so it'd be a little cheesey to say that both were damaged I guess.

Dunno why he let the player get the gear afterwards. My guess is that, hearkening back to what I said earlier, it would have just been really obvious what the GM's motive was in denying us the gear.
>>
>>54317339
The PCs are wizard-cops. They travel on horseback, wherever their current mission takes them. They're not allowed to mucking about looting bodies and carting around treasure. And they get paid a salary worth double what a skilled artisan makes anyway, which can be doubled again for especially dangerous work, so looting is unnecessary.

The only times the PCs should be looting is if their enemies were rogue wizards, who may have been carrying items of arcane nature. And in that case, those items are to be sent to the nearest College for examination and/or disposal, not kept by the PCs or sold to the nearest merchant.
>>
>>54322420
Well, they could go to the blacksmith, but that's more for bespoke or otherwise unique items, where you need the smiths expertise. But that doesn't mean those special items would be cheaper per se
>>
>>54320702
>the minimum bar for decent armor is that it makes you invulnerable and immortal
>>
>>54326799
Holy shit then no that's too much. This kinda thing is the reason credit was invented.
>>54326970
Idiot.
>>
File: 1499534978-20170707.png (312KB, 684x669px) Image search: [Google]
1499534978-20170707.png
312KB, 684x669px
>>54323907
>strip every corpse of all valuables, even when they don't have a reasonable means to carry it, like it's a video game.

lol

You mean the complete opposite, where videogames have enemies likes wolves that drop gold coins, and armed and armored humans that have nothing to loot and their corpses even disappear into the ground after a few minutes.

Let's be honest, most GMs hate players looting things because they hate the idea of player's having things they haven't 'earned' from on high.

Do some quest and get the reward at the end, you earned it. Kill some bandit at the side of the road and loot his sword, his bow, and his shield and suddenly oh no, you can make a bit of spare coin for cleaning up the road, what a hassle.

Little do they know that loot can lead to fun and creative roleplay, appraising it in the first place, figuring out how to haul loot, figuring how to sell it back in town, making merchant contacts, using salesmanship, etc. Maybe the rebels in the city need a source of weapons for their stockpile for their eventual uprising, maybe you're their source.

It's all good as something to do besides hack and slash and I pity the games that lack it or try to punish players for wanting it.
>>
>>54317738
But a lot of historical weapons were made in bulk by collaborations of amateur and practical smiths. Seems just as likely.
>>
>>54317012
Because the buyer, assuming he's a trader, will need to make a good enough profit selling it later. Traders have expenses, taxes, and risks to cover for. Like maintenance and property tax on a shop, loans to pay back, guild dues, licensing, feed for animals, feed for the trader's spouse and kids, and so on.

Also the buyer has power in this transaction because the seller of looted goods is probably trying to dump it for a quick payday while the buyer can wait longer for a favorable price to come around.
>>
>>54331985
>1/4
no
>>
>>54316335
I hope they loot, because i'm not giving them shit
>>
>>54317344
>enemies carry damaged weapons
>they still behave exactly like good ones

One thing I like about ACKS is its equipment defect tables. You can roll to give a weapon one or more defects due to damage, poor workmanship, poor maintenance, etc, and it says both what the effect is (i.e less damage, less accurate etc) how much each one knocks off the market price. So a deformed/dented plate armor with loose/broken straps will sell for significantly less than a mint condition onem
>>
I let my players loot defeated enemies. However I do have a rule that enemy armor is ruined after combat, for several reasons. They still get to carry tons of scrap weapons to sell at 1/2 price and they can also loot gold, jewellery and so on.

It's fun at low levels because there is focus on acquiring gold to buy good equipment, and over time as they level up the players naturally stop bothering with looting mundane equipment because it becomes a waste of time.
>>
>>54316335
Of course not. Your dm sounds kind of boring.
The point of a dm is to enable play and adapt to what the players want to do, not for everyone to do what he wants.
Even if he doesn't like it due to some balance/worth reason or whatever, there's a ton of fun ways he could make the loot risky or unpleasant, so that it's fun, or there simply not being much of value on enemies. Getting mad is just being a poor dm really, since you literally manage the game whichever way you see fit.
>>
>>54326138
But the point of D&D is the social interaction (despite how it is played mostly by socially awkard people).
Saying "nobody argue, just roll dice", and denying them the fantastic arguments they could be having, is literally the kindergarden teacher solution, and only makes sense if your players are (man)children.
>>
File: 1436938252567.png (651KB, 1272x703px) Image search: [Google]
1436938252567.png
651KB, 1272x703px
me and my group have a running gag of always having a hoarder in the group that loots pretty much everything we come across. Rusty old weapons, tin cans, at one point as many library books as the guy could carry. Our three party DMs love the shit out of it. The hoarder is almost always the wealthiest party member to.
>>
>>54332393
For some reason I imagined the looter at a funeral trying to get something out of the coffin.
>>
>>54322057

>>http://redkatart.com/dnd5tools/#treasureBox

Nothing exciting.
>>
>>54332440
That actually happened. Not at an actual funeral, but there were a lot of dead people there and nobody had a shovel. As they were piling the dead to burn them the looter was taking everything but their clothes. Weapons, ammo, food, money. He sat it all in the back of a truck and we spent about the same amount of time moving bodies as telling him we weren't taking all of that shit. There was more stuff there than all of our carrying capacities combined.
>>
>>54332318
If you play D&D purely for the social/narrative parts, you're just ignorant of other games you could be playing that are superior narratively.
>>
>>54331992
Feel free to find a trader who gives a better price, then.
>>
>>54318037
>what is an armourer?
>>
>>54332745
You're in the wrong thread bub.
>>
>>54318037
what a terrible post
>>
>>54316335
Of course not.
However most of the time I have my players fight large numbers of weaker enemies, and rarely will they have anything better than what the PCs have.

Also I understand fully how economics works, so sale of such goods is rarely as profitable as the PCs would expect.
>>
File: 18penzxtjn5wmjpg.jpg (68KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
18penzxtjn5wmjpg.jpg
68KB, 800x450px
>>54331232
frankly, I'd be offended if you didn't
>>
>>54332038
I just tried to find that without success? Where would that table be?
>>
>>54317035
I do...
>>
>>54317602
Many soldiers that wore "black" (shitty, non ornamented) armor painted it anon.
>>
>>54316335
Shit no. My players have yet to loot so much as a single enemy unless I expressly remind them that it's a thing they can do. They have left behind magic items, artifacts, and better gear throughout the course of campaigns, to the point where they have been left gimped at times. This is made even more dumbfounding by the fact that they loot every bit of vendor trash in vidya. I can't use a Mcguffin that you actually carry on your person, because half the time the players forget to loot it.
>>
>>54316335
If there's a time crunch, where the PCs can't afford to take the time to loot everything that isn't nailed down/ cant be pried up with a crowbar, I'll generally frown upon them doing so. But often enough, my players usually don't try to take everything they can, just stuff that'd be useful: special gear, better weapons, money, etc. In the event that they try to play it like skyrim though, I try to remind them that merchants aren't going to want to buy shitty, rusted, poorly forged weapons made from pig iron and bloody hide armor peeled off of orc corpses. Just food for thought.
>>
>>54331831
>Little do they know that loot can lead to fun and creative roleplay

This
>>
File: dogface.jpg (278KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
dogface.jpg
278KB, 1280x960px
>>54334127
I see you are a man of integrity, just like me,
>>
>>54316335
I'd just speed this shit up by divvying out gold to the players when they hit town. No reason to waste table time looting shit.
>>
>>54341338
gaaaay
>>
File: __lapvii_513.jpg (30KB, 488x537px) Image search: [Google]
__lapvii_513.jpg
30KB, 488x537px
>>54341246
>>
File: 1418407933350.jpg (77KB, 500x685px) Image search: [Google]
1418407933350.jpg
77KB, 500x685px
>>54341500
>>
>>54331992
Then roll some fucking diplomacy and try to get him to come up.
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
>>54341246
And I can see that you are a man of culture
>>
>>54316335
It depends on the circumstances. Normally you'd scavenge the dead bodies for anything valuable. Sometimes, however, it's just not feasible.
>>
>>54341937
when
>>
>>54327836
To be fair, if the DM feels compelled to stick to the rules it can sometimes be pretty tough to challenge the group without throwing enemies at them whose equipment is worth a boatload of money.

If you don't want the group to get boatloads of money all the time (or crazy powergamed equipment), coming up with some reason as to why the equipment isn't usable and can't be sold for much will help you out (otherwise the PCs get even more powerful and require enemies with even better gear to challenge them).

A note, though, if you're going to do it frequently it's generally better to just tell the group you're not letting them use/sell the stuff for game balance reasons. If they're not powergaming shitheads, they'll usually understand (just throw them a bone every now and then).

That said, it's typically easier to just not follow the rules when doing so results in an unfun game for the players (or shitloads of work for the DM). Give the bad guy a few extra perks/feats/whatever, make his skills better than they should be, as long as you don't overdo it or make it really obvious it shouldn't be a big deal (most of the time, anyway. One of my players is still butthurt about a totally legit ability I gave a boss that countered his main gimmick 1/round because he thought I just made it up).
>>
>>54341988
For example, if a siege has taken place during a particularly warm summer's day and bodies start to smell really bad really quick. Then you're better off just digging a whole in the ground and getting them down there as quick as possible than trying to search them for valuables.
>>
My players specialize in looting corpses
>>
>>54317280
If you're selling weapons, then sure, provided they weren't damaged in combat you could probably get a bit more for them.

Armour, though? It's inevitable that your armour's going to get damaged in a fight, especially one that you fucking die in lmao. The gauntlets and boots and breastplates and other shit the party's trying to pawn off likely have scratches and grooves at absolute best, and cracks and holes at worst.
>>
>>54342038
>otherwise the PCs get even more powerful and require enemies with even better gear to challenge them

That's okay if that's a fundamental assumption in the system, though. It's built into the post-2000 d20 fantasy rpgs, for example.
Thread posts: 306
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.