[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, here's a question I don't see asked nearly enough:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

So, here's a question I don't see asked nearly enough: What is it like being a farmer in your current setting?
What kind of Crops, Livestock, and Monsters do these farmers respectfully have to grow, raise, and protect themselves from in order to do what they need to do to survive?
>>
>>54307112
In the last setting I ran being a farmer was pretty good in most places. Dwarves and Orcs had loads of mills so grains were staple, as were leaf vegetables and fruits (also potatoes). For animals cows, sheep, pigs, chickens and the likes were often used. Monsters weren't held that often, and if you didn't live near the borders you were safe. Near the borders you were mostly fucked.

Last setting I played I didn't interact much with farmers, but they were busy folk, not really giving me time to talk with them... Though I think living in a city controlled by Day-Walking Xeno-morph Vampires does that to you. (this DM)

Current setting I'm working on (in the kingdom the players will start out in) Farmers can thrive if they work 8-10hrs a day on most days, assuming they have enough land to work, which really is the hard part considering its heavily forested wetlands. This also means it's too wet for most things like potatoes and carrots as they will rot, but rice grows well, and on the higher areas they like to grow wheat and pumpkins for the rich. Trees-a-plenty so nuts and fruits are staple. Most animals are held, but goats are preferred over cows, as they are more aggressive towards the goblins that roam in the wilderness between settlements. (I used Grain to Gold while designing and my notes are still elsewhere, so my memory is a little hazy on this one)
>>
>>54307112
Depends on where you are
>Location A
You pay your 10% of gross food production to your local baron
>Location B
You compete with your neighbors to produce the tastiest and most plentiful food, so that you may have a seat in the local council
>Location C
You try to protect your crops from roving HydraGeese by siccing your loyal gatorhounds on them to scare them away
>Location D
Manual labor is for people who are unfortunate enough to not have mastered necromancy
>Location E
You and your village hoard your tomatumurs and cystcumbers grown from the flesh fields in a communal silo so that when the nomadic tribes of drug addled crazies come by in caravans drawn by their mutated steeds you have enough to pay them tribute.
>>
File: TA2_Al-Cid.png (492KB, 575x944px) Image search: [Google]
TA2_Al-Cid.png
492KB, 575x944px
>>54307112

I've been sort of obsessing over my !Spain/What I imagine Rosaria from FF12 style country, a big part of it is that the country swings heavily from being super big on fish (their main religion is a Sea Goddess with the religion itself dressed up in Catholic cloths) and the other parts of the country are more arid and not good for farming but big on herds of cow like beast called Autons (where the cowboys in my setting mostly come from)
>>
Giving the thread a pity bump.
>>
File: soil.jpg (39KB, 300x188px) Image search: [Google]
soil.jpg
39KB, 300x188px
Man, it's kinda hard to come up with what kind of crops should be farmed where. It's even harder to come up with what foods they should consider exotic or 'luxury' goods. This is a good thread, so I'll bump it
>>
>>54311069
>Man, it's kinda hard to come up with what kind of crops should be farmed where.

My problem is: I had up until a few months ago been thinking of agriculture in terms of "temperate", but the setting I'm working with only comes in varying degrees of tropical and sub-tropical- there's nothing temperate about it.

I've got TONS of resources on western, temperate, agricultural information from ye olde medieval times (most I knew where to look and already knew, but I've got a decent library- even on the Mediterranean/Rome/Ancient Greece), but PRECIOUS little on how say Africa, Polynesian, South America, or even Asian cultures grew their food.

Like, I had no idea coconuts or peanuts were so important.
>>
>>54307112
It's generally pretty bad since the staple crop is chemosynthesis based and therefore doesn't grow in a great environment for people to live in
>>
>>54307112
The area of focus for my setting is hilly grasslands. There are a mix of farmers and shepherds, most of the crops are less water-intensive than cereal grains.
>>
>>54311433
Could you tell me something of what you have from the Mediterranean/Rome/Ancient Greece areas? Trying to make an area that is partially inspired by those guys, but all I know is pretty stereotypical, like "they have olives and fish there, right?"
>>
>>54311648
>Could you tell me something of what you have from the Mediterranean/Rome/Ancient Greece areas?
> Trying to make an area that is partially inspired by those guys, but all I know is pretty stereotypical, like "they have olives and fish there, right?"

Sure, I can give a surface/general summation of what farming in the Mediterranean is like. Basically the whole greek/rome area is lousy with irregular, garbage, hilly land, with hot, dry, summers and wet rainy winters. Overall, only about 1/5th of greece actually has farmland- everything else is barren, rocky, hilly land.

So, with that in mind, there's a couple of things to remember:
-Olive Orchards and Vineyards were mostly grown by the rich since the climate was perfect for them and olive oil and wine was and still is a commodity. Wine and olive oil, though, take a lot of people to make (processing, etc), but the money made from such business usually pays itself.
-There's so little land that farming grains can actually be really difficult and destructive since there's usually no room to rotate crops (which were usually wheat or barely). The best available soil or land is actually used for vegetables and orchards (figs, olives, citrus fruits, etc).
-Boring, normal crops include: Peas, lentils, beans, garlic, onions, and cabbage.
-The sowing/seeding season doesn't begin in the spring, but instead begins in october/the fall when the rains come.
-If you've got new world plants, feel free to include: tomatoes and potatoes.

Uhhhmn, oh, right, livestock:
-Goats & sheep are literally the most important and practical livestock as they can best take advantage of the hilly terrain and poor forage- You simply won't see many 'larger' livestock beyond just pigs, poultry, and donkeys due to the terrain.
-The exceptions, though, are horses and water buffalo- which both are farmed in the small areas that possess pasture land.

That's about all I can think of.
>>
>>54311433
My current setting also has a very African/Polynesian/S-American/Equatorial climate, at least in the main area. Please, tell me what you've learned!
>>
>>54307112
>Crops
They grow a lot of things, but potatoes are grown in an abundance. This is because potatoes make up everything the farmers consume, including potato pancakes, potato bread, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, fried potatoes, potato skins, and beer.

>Livestock
They grow large crabs for their shells that are ground up into medicine that actually does fucking nothing. The meat is simply a matter of waste-not that the farmers eat.
They also herd sheep.

>Monsters
qt brown lamias threaten to seduce and settle with the men and cuck the women. They ward them off by tapping their balls twice and shake their hands as they walk away, keeping eye-contact with the monster.
>>
File: peasants.jpg (264KB, 960x895px) Image search: [Google]
peasants.jpg
264KB, 960x895px
>Not playing in a setting where Peasants are the highest caste and nobles are the lowest.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.