[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Wizards get rid of commenting and rating cards on Gatherer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0871.jpg (55KB, 500x319px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0871.jpg
55KB, 500x319px
Why did Wizards get rid of commenting and rating cards on Gatherer? It's been like 4 years now.
>>
They print shit cards and don't want people using their site to make new players aware of what they're missing.
>>
>>54301662
Maybe they got tired of the storm crow meme because they has fun?

Maybe they had a coding error that ignoring involved spending less money than allowing comments again.

I think they hate fun, whatever the actual reason.
>>
>>54301662
Letting others know a card is bad is a bannable offense.
>>
>>54301662
They updated some other part of Gatherer at one point - one of the mechanically functional parts - and commenting/rating broke as a side effect.
It wasn't intentional, and it's low priority on their already shitty tech crew.
>>
>>54301662
"Online Communities".

After the whole storm crow meme thing, people decided that community-based suggestions were fundamentally flawed, and detracted from the game. Things like giving a low rating to good cards based on their "meaness" or giving poor cards high ratings because they're so bad.

Really, I'd rather things the way they are than the opposite, and I think most people are on the same page.
>>
>>54306433
Personally, I missed making comments and people making comments. My comments are the top rated on most of my favorite cards, and in general there was a lot to learn from the other commenters, with interesting trivia and combos that I'd never have found otherwise.

Managing the comments would be like managing any forum, and it's obvious that no one would want to moderate it, so I can understand them not wanting to bring it back. Still, I do miss it.

Now, the only place I can determine how people feel about a card is on TCGplayer, though I guess a card's price tag has always been the best indicator of how good it was, rather than a community rating.
>>
>>54306746
>a card's price tag has always been the best indicator of how good it was
Brainstorm is $0.99
>>
>>54306746
>My comments are the top rated on most of my favorite cards
Which is why you shouldn't be allowed to comment on cards. Self-perpetual circlejerks are terrible, even if you're the one benefiting. You can always, you know, read the card.

> I guess a card's price tag has always been the best indicator of how good it was
No. It's a good way of indicating, generally, what's most popular and powerful, but it has a myriad of other factors, most notably being the reserve list.
>>
>>54307504
And it's completely worthless in Standard, Modern, and non-blue EDH.
That's half the competitive formats and 4/5 of a casual one! And 4/4s of Kitchen Table!
Obviously his statement is true and that shit card is pure shit like shit on shit. It's so shit I've forgotten the name already, other than that it's Blue! Obviously the name is 'Shit', and why would you want a card like that?
>>
>>54306746
>>a card's price tag has always been the best indicator of how good it was
Price tag is a rough, ROUGH indicator.

Price is a function of demand vs supply. There might be high demand for a card because it's needed in many decks and/or formats, despite not being especially powerful on its own. Or it might be in high demand because it is very very slightly more powerful than an alternative. Supply might be high because a card was only ever printed in one set, and/or because it hasn't been printed in a while.

Examples;

Counterspell is one of the best cards ever printed. But it's less than a dollar because it was printed in every single core set for years, plus some expansions, and a duel deck.

Tundra is only slightly more powerful than Hallowed Fountain, but it costs twenty times as much because it's on the reserved list and the Shocklands were printed this decade.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.