[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So the recent "oriental Imperium" thread got me thinking:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Ork_Warboss_with_Group.jpg (143KB, 960x632px) Image search: [Google]
Ork_Warboss_with_Group.jpg
143KB, 960x632px
So the recent "oriental Imperium" thread got me thinking: every once in a while /tg/ tries reversing the knobs on one aspect of W40K to see what new setting would come out of it, and that's usually funny. But what if you tried to make a roughly unrelated setting out of INDIVIDUALLY reversing as many of the knobs on each of the W40K setting elements? Like, instead of taking the whole package and going "like baseline, but intended for women", or "like baseline, but noblebright", just reverse each element by itself then put together back again? Since the major themes would each be reversed, the end result should (...I think, this is kind of confusing to me now that I try to put it in words) be pretty distinct.

I'm not sure I'm explaining this right. Here are a few ideas that came to mind:

>(inspired by that thread) a major human faction inspired by a deliberately cartoonish, insane combination of the worst elements of fundamental Islam, Chinese communism, and the decadence of tsarist Russia, with supersoldiers dressed like kung-fu samurai who explode on death
>Instead of a race based on taking all the fantasy stereotypes of elves and clumsily displacing them into space, one that's based on all the stereotypes of fantasy giants (or trolls, or something. Dwarfs are kind of overdone in that sense)
>Instead of a communist dystopia, a race that's an exaggerated parody of rampant corporate capitalism. Kinda like the Ferengi, but less Jewish and more Cyberpunk 2020
>Instead of being based on a British soccer hooligan stereotype so over-the-top it crosses the line back from actually being offensive, a race based on a completely overblown hyperbole of Southern redneck/Texas farmhands (it even has an obsession with bikes, trucks, colors, and firearms and an incomprehensibly thick accent built in).

Get the general idea? Anything alike?
>>
This will crush like an asteroid, but I must say I do want to see how exactly it does that. Call this a cautiously respectful bump.
>>
>>54300176
I don't know if that's "reversing" the knobs so much as applying a slightly different subject for the same idea.
You're just taking:
>faction based on religious extremists
>space race ported from fantasy
>race based on economic extremists
and
>race based on white trash
and slightly changing what they're based on. I don't think that's reversal at all.
>>
>>54302540
I don't think OP himself knows what he's doing. I suspect he was either drunk, high, or both. That said, as a trashy science fiction universe some of the ideas have potential. I like the one with the giants, it makes me think of the aesthetic of the Thor movies. It was the one good thing about them.
>>
What exactly would the inverse of Warhammer be? Keep in mind it's every science fiction cliche mixed with metal albun covers

So I guess 40ks true opposite would be a hard science character driven thriller with classical music motifs
>>
>>54302540
Seems like the idea was to have each race be replaced with one that rips off its inspiration from the "opposite"/"reverse" of what the Warhammer 40K race did, rather than just reversing the entire setting in unison and seeing how each one would behave.
>>
File: Interstellar-3.jpg (258KB, 1920x1301px) Image search: [Google]
Interstellar-3.jpg
258KB, 1920x1301px
>>54302782
mind=blown
>>
>>54302820
Wouldn't 2001: A Space Odyssey fit the description way better?
>>
>>54300176
>Evil Communist Muslims in Space
Literally Infinity, the competing game
>Space fantasy giants
Literally the first Thor film
>EVIL CAPITALISTS
Pick a science fiction work written after the 80's. Just pick one. Odds are it's literally it
>Space rednecks
I would say "Starcraft", but the idea itself is going to bomb and if you aren't lucky enough to have /tg/ ignore it the thread's going to get /pol/ on your ass before you can say "Southern Pride".
>>
Orks are a parody of football hooligans, and are very much a faction where "might makes right." They are disorganized at war, being less about individual duellists so much as a mob with Dutch Courage. And their engineering and technology is crude, yet functional.

I imagine an "inverse" society would be one where rather than being driven by a desire to migrate looking for the best fight, they're looking to settle down and keep everyone away from them. They're expert marksmen, highly communal yet efficiently militarized, they take extreme pride in precision engineering, and they're more likely to serve as mercenaries so no particular faction gets dominant enough to view them as priority number 1.

In short, they would be Space Switzerland.
>>
>>54300176
So I'm assuming the Tyranids are some kind of grey goo style synthetic nanomachine creatures who wish to rid the galaxy of organic life? Because if that's the case, what about the Necrons?
>>
>>54303787
I have to admit, depending on how it's done, Space Rednecks could be a pretty funny concept. Like >>54302886 said, a lot of the humor in Starcraft came from basically doing that. Space truckers eating mutalisk wings in barbecue sauce in their space diners on their way to meet the space sheriff at the space ranch. Except in this case I'm guessing the space truck's covered in guns and is shooting at everything on the way there on principle.

Then again, Space Switzerland does also sound like a cool concept.
>>
>>54302832
40,000: A Space Odyssey
>>
>>54300176
What would the Fantasy equivalent be? A world focusing on Araby?
>>
Combining space rednecks and space switzerland: I suggest orks as space cowboys. They're still nomadic, but instead of wandering in search of a fight, they're following/driving herds of space cattle. They're still anarchist, but it's the wild-west style "a man's gotta stand on his own feet" kind. They don't do well on civilized worlds, and roam the fringes trying to stay one step ahead of the imperium. In other words, a big green Malcom Reynolds.
>>
>>54308497
Cowboy Kommandos? You mean...Boerboyz?
>>
>>54300176
Other than dressing like kung-fu samurai (two things that don't go together), your first idea describes the 40k Imperium we already know and love.

The second swaps out Eldar for some other "fantasy race iiiin spaaaaaaaaaace" faction. Ogre Kingdoms in space, how exciting.

"Communist" doesn't describe the Tau well. Nor does "dystopia" if you're actually Tau. They look more like the Japanese "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere" or other colonial endeavors in which the dominant people do fine and the dystopia is for everyone else. And rampant corporate capitalism is so common in other sci-fi that 40k doesn't really gain anything by doing it too.

And I'm not sure you've changed orks at all.
>>
>>54309610
Wouldn't those be Squigboyz?
>>
>>54308497
I'm in favor of combining space rednecks WITH space cowboys. The whole concept of orks is an offensively inaccurate anachronism, after all. Basically make them "rural Americans, as would be seen by someone like the Japanese" (to use an example of people who seem to have a hilariously skewed idea of what Americans are like). Everyone wears gallon hats, drives trucks and makes their bed out of guns and burgers.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.