[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody play Mindjammer? What about transhumanism makes it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: MindjammerTravellerCover.jpg (329KB, 606x784px) Image search: [Google]
MindjammerTravellerCover.jpg
329KB, 606x784px
Anybody play Mindjammer?

What about transhumanism makes it fun to play in, and how is it different from good ol' space opera/fantasy?
>>
>>54300162
I'm looking at running a game of the FATE version. The mechanics and options are cool (you can play a sentient space station and so on) but I'll definitely be jettisoning the lore for something not super boring.
>>
File: mantis dance.jpg (34KB, 720x516px) Image search: [Google]
mantis dance.jpg
34KB, 720x516px
>>54300688
>for something not super boring.
The lore is super-boring? I thought that was the whole appeal of the setting.

BTW, can I play as a hyper-intelligent Mantis-form von Neumann machine swarm?
>>
>>54300758
It feels very ho-hum and settled to me. Stars Without Number has more interesting lore in that you can still do all the cool shit, but it's set in a universe not run by a giant insurmountable star empire that ultimately cares for nothing more than preserving its bland oatmeal culture.

The best way I can describe the Commonality is if all of the modern "liberal" causes were accomplished and now nobody has anything better to do than safeguard that progress. It's a nice place to live, I'm sure, but really fucking boring to play in.

Also the backstory is hilarious in how long it takes humanity to accomplish anything.
>>
>>54300758
And I'm not sure about the mantis thing.
>>
>>54300870
That sounds like Banks's The Culture polity. Which was most interesting at the edges where it interacted with other empires and civilizations. The core was a boring paradise.
>>
>>54300870

Another anon just mentioned it, but the Culture novels take place in a post scarcity liberal society and they have some pretty compelling stories. They're mostly about people from within the Culture dealing with other societies though.
>>
>>54300943
>>54301047
Yes, that's the issue. The only interesting stories in the vanilla setting are fringer stories. Want something going on anywhere else? You'll need to mod in some actual discontent in the core worlds or perhaps a war wherein the Commonality won't curbstomp everyone.
>>
>>54301156

Yeah, that's fine. FATE is easy to hack so it's not like porting some stuff from Mindjammer into the SWN universe would be that hard.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.