[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/. Never played DnD before in my life, but my gf signed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: 19.jpg (189KB, 869x1231px) Image search: [Google]
19.jpg
189KB, 869x1231px
Hey /tg/. Never played DnD before in my life, but my gf signed me up for a online session that's gonna happen sometime soon.
I started reading up on rules and making several characters - so I can go with the most appropriate one depending on what the rest of the party is gonna be playing.
Book describes basically two ways of assigning stats - the "fair" one where you just spend a balanced out number of points like in a video game and the random one - rolling 4d6 and combining the 3 higher numbers. I went with the latter one, since it seemed more interesting. In the end one of the characters came out exceptionally strong, as far as I can judge.
So question - will it cause problems if I show up to the game with these stats? Should I just go ahead and cut them down? I would never cheat this since that would be boring but I can see how it would look bad to others.
Subsequently my second question is - Is the random way of making stats can only be used when you are making a character during the game, in front of all other players?
>>
Depends on the group and DM really, but generally in my experience if your stats truly are random and you sound honest about it, the DM will accept it. The party at large would be happy with it, especially if you use your strength to be a fighter or barbarian character.
>>
File: 1499295818848.gif (219KB, 250x287px) Image search: [Google]
1499295818848.gif
219KB, 250x287px
As a DM I allow my players to roll there own stats. If they come to the table with two 18s I know they cheated but I still let it slide. 3 or more 18s I will call bullshit.
>>
File: 17.jpg (146KB, 869x1231px) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
146KB, 869x1231px
>>54295217
Thanks! I was rolling a halfling Rouge and rolled 3 sixes on one of the stats. Naturally, I put it into Dex, making it 18 +2 that being halfling gives you made it 20.
The rest of stats are around average with strength being under 10. Would a character like that be acceptable to an average group?
Any advice for a first timer in general?
>>
>>54295010
>Never played DnD before in my life, but my gf signed me up for a online session that's gonna happen sometime soon.
This raises a bunch of questions, but they all boil down to "Why?"
>>
>>54295337
Those seem like fine enough stats for a rogue, and that should be acceptable for your group. I might have made the dump stat intelligence for your character, since from what I've seen most DMs are less likely to do checks involving the stat, but you sound like you allocated them well.

Honestly, the best advice I can give is try to understand how your class works. You'll forget and flub up things here and there, but the sooner you're in game and know how to do everything your character does, the sooner you'll feel like you're contributing to the team.

Outside of stat stuff, just have fun. Embrace the roleplaying side of things when you can, and try to do what your character would do, not what you would do as a player (of course there's limits to that, don't be obnoxious to the detriment of the team, but the point still stands.)
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.