[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wanna start a Dungeons and dragons (5e) campaign, sword and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

I wanna start a Dungeons and dragons (5e) campaign, sword and sorcery style.

Low fantasy

I was thinking that the players can only choose between dwarf human and elven race

Magic is rare to keep it true s&s

Cults reign over most of the world

Examp.(orcus culr, some cult like a set cult from robert e howard, some "good" cults, and some vampire shit)

Any tips for someone whos a Dungeon Master Virgin?
>>
>>54288219
Don't separate the players, keep them all involved all the time.

Decide what kind of DM you want to be.
If the players don't take the main entrance to the catacombs, but rather buy pickaxes and start digging above the last room, will you let them do it and ruin their own fun by skipping the nice things you prepared?
Or will you conjure up some bullshit "it's made of an unknown magical stone that can't be broken with tools"?
>>
>>54288219
>Dungeons and dragons (5e)
>sword and sorcery
Pick one.
>>
>>54288219
>D&D
>Low fantasy

Lol good luck as this doesn't work. Everything is entrenched in magic and magic like effects.

It's a high fantasy , high magic game and you have to do brutal things to the system to change that.

And honestly most players don't want to play in your gritty , low fantasy, low magic game. After all isn't that just a way to inflate your ego and make them feel weak?

If you're a new GM.id reccomend you just run a module like the starter set lost mines of Phandelver module so you can actually work out how the game works.

After that if you're set on a campaign ask the players what they want and construct something from that as at the end of the day your role to make sure the players have fun.

All of the questions are ranged on a scale

1) Role Playing --- Mix --- Roll Playing (Roll-Playing would involve more combat and mechanical resolution , roleplaying would have more of a focus on narrative and non-combat situations a mix would be a mix of both.
2) High --- Mid --- Low Fantasy (Think high as Narnia, where animals talk and everything is exotic, mid more like classic Swords and Sorcery, and low being more like Robin Hood or King Arthur)
3) High --- Mid --- Low Magic (High would make magic much more commonplace , mid would make it uncommon but still available to priestly orders , mage schools etc, low would make it a real rarity , with most people fearing and not understanding it and magic users treated with distrust.
4) High --- Mid --- Low Power (High would mean you'd receive more gold, items and magic items, mid would be a regular distribution, low would make them very rare.
5) Dark --- Average --- Light Tone and Mood Dark = "Night of the Living Dead" or Serial Killers in the Town, average is a middle ground , light is more rescue the child from the Ogres, who have not killed or molested it")
6) G --- PG --- R Rated descriptions and content
>>
>>54288219
I suggest playing a different system or a different take on things. Newer D&D, especially 5e, really makes assumptions based on the idea that the party is going to have MUs and enchanted items and such.

Either follow >>54288438 's advice and run phandelver or something to get a handle on how to RPG, or maybe play some other system.
I personally suggest one of the OSR retro clones, GURPS {dungeon) fantasy, Runequest, HERO fantasy, or something similar. All of them can do low fantasy S&S campaigns quite well, and all (except for potentially HERO) are actually pretty easy to pick up. Gurps and OSR, especially, though the former will require a bit more prepwork on your end.
>>
>>54288295
This.

D&D is only good for one thing: D&D style fantasy.

Sword and sorcery turns to shit when everyone is a superhero with a sword or spellbook.

It's only marginally less stupid than playing a Walking Dead campaign with D&D 5.

>The undead are attacking!
Okay I wade through them and kill them all with my sick combo attack.
>Uhm, okay, crisis averted. Again.
>>
>>54288438
>After all isn't that just a way to inflate your ego and make them feel weak?

That's a bit of a leap, anon.
>>
>>54288438
>And honestly most players don't want to play in your gritty , low fantasy, low magic game. After all isn't that just a way to inflate your ego and make them feel weak?

Or maybe you have players that want to feel like people and not cartoony superheroes who solve every problem with violence and magic?

Some people love D&D style role-playing, some people prefer focusing on human interaction rather than picking builds from forums to maximise dps in a imagination-driven game where the enemies are all controlled by your friend.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.