[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wats another way to explore sufficiently advanced magic is technology(and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: 1455878341177.jpg (121KB, 755x541px) Image search: [Google]
1455878341177.jpg
121KB, 755x541px
Wats another way to explore sufficiently advanced magic is technology(and it's corollary, sufficiently advanced tech is magic)

I've got these dwarves in my setting. They had a once glorious empire under the earth, with "highways" that led from city-state to city-state u der the earth. They had golems, programmed to understand and interpret command, crafted from metal bodies and shining crystaline gems. They had guns that spewed pure light and energy instead of shot and powder. They crafted wondrous cities full of modern conveniences. And then they vanished from the world, leaving a single kingdom in their wake, to carry on the legacy of the Allfather.

Considering I've already banked on the setting elves being the physical/magical half-breeds how crazy would it be to make the ancient dwarves the precursor race? Racial memory, psychometry, "nanotech without the robots" kinds of material masters?
>>
File: Dwarven Highway pass.jpg (93KB, 710x1125px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarven Highway pass.jpg
93KB, 710x1125px
Desperate op bump

I'm kinda self-convinced to work living metal into the game, and maybe have the prehistory of the place be "fantasy world built by precursors, populated by their slaves"

Convince me I'm crazy/not crazy?
>>
>>54274612
Depends on how far you're going to take it. Are they the source/inspiration for every modern piece of magic/technology in your setting?

It could be interesting if you take it all the way. If you don't take it farther than it currently is, or tweak it a bit, then they sound similar to the Dwemer/Dwarves from TES. Though they were more "Sufficiently advanced steampunk is indistinguishable from magic" I guess, so you're already a step away from them in that regard.

Also are all the Dwarves completely gone? Or do some remain? If there are those that remain, are they aware of how this magitech works, or are they in the dark like everyone else?
>>
>>54276675
Good questions

It would certainly be a twist. And there's not really a precedent ingame so far. The dwarves living now are a strong kingdom, but none of them have the knowledge of their forefathers. The Craft of it is lost, certainly.

The party already encountered a lost keep, where the clan of dwarves descended into barbarism and villainy, becoming mad dreugar possessed by black magic. The group knows the dwarves lost a lot with the ikd empire falling away. They know quite well how far they can fall.
>>
>>54274612
It wouldn't be 'advanced' magic that would be indistinguishable from technology; it would be *reliable* magic. If any goon can operate the 'ring of fire-starting' or whatever then it's functionally the same as a lighter.

Also >>54276675
The dwarves from Elder Scrolls were generally based around applying the scientific method to understanding a magical world. Hence they were building magic-powered robots and such while everyone else was still figuring out full plate armour.
>>
>>54277870
>applying the scientific method to understanding a magical world.
>Epiphany moment

Fuck yeah, /tg/ this is why I post here!

Thank you!
>>
>>54274612
>>54276595
>Convince me I'm crazy/not crazy?
Certainly not crazy, but the end result depends on your execution.

Have you worked out any god-made rules of not!physics with which magic develops to the point of being as reliable as science?
>>
>>54279739
Perhaps your dwarfs think of the world being made of earth, water, air, metal and magnetism?

Magic-powered ferrofluids can be a thing, you know. The players got surprised as the tesselated skin golem bled black and made blades out of its "blood".

Bonsai-like crystal cultivation is possible even without magic as well. I got a dwarven nation whose geomancy allows them to grow city-sized chambers out of geodes.

Quartzlock guns can be a thing.
>>
>>54277870
It's pretty funny that OP's original setting do not steal is literally what would happen if the Dwemer succeeded at making walk-brass into a god before they zapped themselves.
>>
File: 1454640893383.jpg (70KB, 680x384px) Image search: [Google]
1454640893383.jpg
70KB, 680x384px
>>54279739
>end result depends on your execution.
I'll try to make it natural, organic, and awesome

>>54279842
I love everything you said

>>54279894
Neat.jpeg
I will do some extra reading on the dwemer
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.