[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Games ahead of their time: >Hnefatafl >The defending side

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Hnef2.jpg (82KB, 1062x750px) Image search: [Google]
Hnef2.jpg
82KB, 1062x750px
Games ahead of their time:

>Hnefatafl
>The defending side comprises twelve soldiers and a king, who start the game in a cross formation in the center of the board. Their objective is for the king to escape by reaching any of the four corner squares. The attackers comprise 24 soldiers positioned in four groups of 6 around the perimeter of the board.

Can you think of any other thousand-year-old board-games with asymmetric starting positions?
>>
>>54237860
>Can you think of any other thousand-year-old board-games with asymmetric starting positions?

Ludus latrunculorum, tafl's predecessor.

What's the best hnefatafl variant, Copenhagen?
>>
File: 51Zx1gUiGfL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg (37KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
51Zx1gUiGfL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
37KB, 350x350px
That really is an absolutely fabulous piece of history that we have. While I can't think of any other asymmetrical ancient games off the top off my head besides some mahjong tile variants, I have always loved senet and the Ur game since I learned them in elementary school. It's amazing to think about games like this and Roman dice games and Chinese bone and tile games and all the others ways that people just like you and I all throughout history entertained themselves.

www.lutanho.net/play/senet.html
https://www.yourturnmyturn.com/java/ur/index.php
>>
>>54238934
>Ludus latrunculorum
Isn't asymmetric, I'm just an idiot.

>>54238945
>besides some mahjong tile variants
Isn't mahjong just a couple hundred years old?
>>
>>54238983

Mahjong is not the right term to use, but there has been a long tradition of tile and bone based games in China that predated it.
>>
>>54237860
Does it come with pronunciation instructions?
>>
>>54239967
I think it's supposed to be pronounced like "Nefatafel".

t. nordic pro
>>
>>54237860
Rules?
>>
>>54239967
Come on, it's as easy as svefn-g-englar
>>
>>54237860
Isn't the king side favoured to win in tafl games most of the time?

I recall that in medieval ages, people were bidding for playing the white side by proclaiming how many turns at most they need to win, e.g. "I play white, but have only 9 turns to win".
>>
>>54244973

The king has to escape from one of the 4 corners and he wins.

Its REALLY hard to kill him. All the pieces move like Rooks in Chess. To take a piece you have to have it surrounded on all four sides. As the attacker you have more pieces to block the corners but one wrong move and its game over
>>
>>54247110
So it isn't balanced then
>>
>>54244660
Attackers go first. Pieces move any distance horizontally or vertically, but not on or over other pieces.
The center and corners are marked squares, you can move over them but only the king can move on them.
You capture a piece by flanking it with two pieces or a piece and a marked square.
You capture the king by surrounding him on all sides with pieces, board's edges, and/or marked squares.
The king can only move one square at a time/
>>
>>54237860
>classic scandinavian game is about fleeing

Kek
>>
>>54249057

Well it was developed and played in ancient times.
>>
>>54249057
Not sure if it's been solved, but my gut says it's probably solvable for the defender. The creators probably had access to neither the computation tools nor the theoretical math to adequately attack a problem like this though. (And before someone says "they probably wouldn't have cared either" - take a look at ancient Go game records.)

>>54237860
There are a lot of chess variants and alternate chess-piece games that are asymmetric, but I'm not sure of the age of any of them.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.