[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the most common sorts of Dungeons in your setting, /tg/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1419370786474.gif (1MB, 663x603px) Image search: [Google]
1419370786474.gif
1MB, 663x603px
What are the most common sorts of Dungeons in your setting, /tg/? Ruins, tombs, or recently built building structures made to serve specific purposes? Are they subterranean or above ground? What are the reasons for the traps and monsters strewn about the place? Which ones promise the fame, fortune, or power to the adventurers that brave it?
>>
>>54216466
Precursor ruins, built a couple thousand years ago by the civilization that terraformed the moons of a gas giant that the game takes place on. The people of these worlds don't know this, they just know that these ruins are extremely old and extremely advanced.

"Adventurer" isn't really an occupation in my campaign setting. The people who gear up to fight monsters and find treasure are explorers or archaeologists, and it's considered a scholarly pursuit dedicated to the gathering of ancient technology and understanding what the precursors built and why they built it. Those ruins have been unattended for 3,000+ years, so they could have become monster nests in that time, or their security measures (clockwork automatons and traps) could still be active.

There are still some old-school dungeons carved out of stone and full of traps and undead and made as tombs or treasure vaults, but the main focus is precursor ruins.
>>
>>54216466
They are either monster lairs or large cave systems serving as the lairs of multiple monsters.
Tombs are relatively common too, but only in civilized lands.
>>
buildings held together with magic and spit for the "We need a 3 floor mansion with 4 hedge mazes in the middle of a fucking swamp last week." episode
>>
>>54216466
I like to run through the last 3,000 years of campaign time 500 years at a pass and figure out who/what inhabited/made use of the dungeon during those periods, what alterations they made to it, etc.
>>
>>54216466
Tombs, Catacombs, densely packed cities and monster hives.
>>
>>54216466
When flying enemies are a routine thing, and castle walls can be blasted down by fireballs, traditional castles become just shy of useless. Real fortresses are partially or mostly underground and built to withstand years of sieges, with multiple secret exits. Over time, these fortresses may be destroyed, abandoned, or lost, and they promptly become dungeons once monsters move in.
>>
>>54216466
Dwarf ruins, elf ruins, tomb kangz crypts, skaven warrens, goblin tunnels.

Most of these have some mix of the usual things you find in a dungeon, though if the dwarf ruin was a controlled abandonment the only things you're going to find are empty rooms, critters that moved in, and the traps (those are left intact, to kill would be thieves).
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.