[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Casual MTG player here. I'm thinking about attending a prelease

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: HOUbannerS.png (759KB, 700x489px) Image search: [Google]
HOUbannerS.png
759KB, 700x489px
Casual MTG player here. I'm thinking about attending a prelease for a very first time tomorrow.

What should I expect? Should I study all the cards from HoD in order to have fun or can I just go in blind? How different is sealed from a draft?
>>
>>54209376
Sealed is less dependent on skill and more on luck than draft is, because your card pool is pre-determined and can't be affected by interaction with other drafters.
Knowledge of cardpool is always helpful. Partially to judge relative strength of the cards, partially to know what you're up against.
Stick to two colors, 3 if you have fixing.
>>
Your last question is easiest to answer. Draft is when you and 7 other people get three packs (each) and pass cards around until you make a deck. Sealed (the prerelease) is when you get 6 packs (in this case 4 hour of devastation and 2 packs of amonkhet) and you build a deck out of those packs.

With if you should look at the cards or not, it's all a matter of how confident you are on your deck building abilities and card evaluation abilities are. You can totally walk in blind and build a deck that rekts the house. You can also know every card by heart and still struggle to get wins in. I personally like finding out what cards are just because I like the discovery, but you're totally fine going there with no knowledge of the cards.

Honestly you should expect a casual environment. Sure, there are prizes, but it's very relaxed in the fact that 1: a lot of people haven't seen these cards before, 2: not everyone is a pro player and doesn't play competitively and 3: I forgot my 3rd point.
>>
>>54209424
>>54209544
I think I will just go in blind. I don't feel like spending the rest of my night studying cards.
>>
>>54209705
>asks question
>kills a board
>doesn't care about answer does what they want anyway

This is what is wrong with society...
>>
>>54209705
That's fine with me. The event is longer due to people reading new cards and that's totally expected
>>
>>54209376
Sealed and draft are horrible. Too luck based. Could have a totally trash card pool in sealed. Good cards in one color but you only have 3 other cards in that color. Then you get down to playing and it's a big board stall fest with 5 creatures staring you down vs yours....whoever starts drawing lands instead of dudes loses. Fun.
>>
>>54210495
I actually quite enjoy drafting.
>>
>>54210533
>>54210495
This is why we have multiple MTG generals on the board. Magic Formats are entirely different games with different Playerbases. Combining them all together would result in... well, it'd be an interesting thing to see every MTG general combined into one thread... Once, maybe, just to see how much of a shitshow it would be.
>>
So /tg/, I couldn't get out of work for prerelease. Should I say fuck it and call in or just wait for Ixalan for my next prerelease?
>>
>>54210533
I like the actual drafting part of drafting. Playing and losing to chance is the part I dislike. I miss conspiracy draft since it was 4-player with longer games, therefore no one lost just because they were getting flooded or didn't draw the game-breaker.
>>
>go to prerelease
>open junk, best cards are just value engines that dont win the game
>zero bombs
>only removal is in red
>best cards are in green
>literally zero artifact or enchantment removal
>first opponent drops a sandwurm convergence, literally have no answers to it in my entire sealed pool
Now I remember why I stopped playing this game
>>
>>54211956
>not being able to beat your opponent before they resolve an 8 mana spell that has 0 effect on the board the day it resolves
You literally have 9 turns, assuming they hit a land each turn, to kill them.
What was your list?
>>
Post your card pools, and I'll tell you what deck I'd have built with it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.