[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make a campaign, where dwarves were banished from their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: U3mnFTp0_400x400.png (418KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
U3mnFTp0_400x400.png
418KB, 400x400px
I want to make a campaign, where dwarves were banished from their ancient home. Yes I've taken idea from Hobbit. I'd like to make it more social realistic, grimdark.

How do I present hardships of refugee dwarves, who are begrudgingly accepted in other lands, are urged to move on whole time, are explained that "no, we do not need additional blacksmiths and masons here! (also dwarves are known thieves!)".

How do I not make setting grimdark, but very grim in a social way?

thanks
>>
>>54200045
Dwarves are already jews.

Remember that, look into how they have been treated over the ages, and your work is done.
>>
>>54200055
Good idea.
>>
>>54200055
>Dwarves are already jews.
Gnomes or goblins are more fitting.
>>
Dwarves are forced to live in squat camps and ghettos outside the main city, or at the very least aren't hired for jobs. Some dwarves shave off their beards or at least trim them short, in emulation of human fashion, and are seen as traitors by their brethren.

If dwarves fail to provide for their families because they cannot get jobs, they are seen as proof that dwarves are irresponsible. If they steal to provide for their families, that's proof that dwarves are thieves.

Meanwhile, the elves who have moved into the dwarven homeland have changed the names of places to Elvish names, and claim that it was elven first and the dwarves were savage nomads.

Dwarvish cuisine is popular among the humans as a fun dish, to be eaten at non-religious festivities such as when an old friend comes to town or a son returns from war, but not worthy to be eaten on holy days and too exotic for everyday consumption.
>>
>>54200045
>but very grim in a social way?

Have Thorin talk about his intended social and tax policies, I guess.
>>
>>54200045
>How do I present hardships of refugee dwarves, who are begrudgingly accepted in other lands, are urged to move on whole time, are explained that "no, we do not need additional blacksmiths and masons here! (also dwarves are known thieves!)".
To my knowledge most refugee dwarves got that sort of treatment after Smaug ran them off, the 13 were basically there because all their more traditional options ran dry, and the ones who didn't opted to say "fuck it we'll make our own mine" and died horribly as a result.

Tolkien didn't represent all this because he wasn't Martin and wasn't focused on politics while writing his children's story about hobbits and dwarves.
>>
>>54200799
So, anyone who's not a WASP in America.
>>
>>54200718
Tolkien explicitly based them on Jews in a "wanderers without a homeland" sense, as >>54200055 says looking into history gives many historical events to translate into the setting.

Other diasporas can also be drawn upon - the Irish, for example: only getting limited types of work, a reputation for drunkenness and violence
Places close to the homeland produce a great outpouring of sad poetry and art, while the further away they get the tighter they cling to traditions and culture as if it makes up for being thousands of miles from the homeland

Having people blame them for the reason they have to leave the homeland would be a good race-wide stigma : wherever they go, even the generally more open sorts will know WHY they had to leave the homeland, and quite a few (and most of everyone else) will blame them for bringing it about themselves
>>
>>54200860
Hey, now, I only qualify for one part of the WASP acronym, but I've lived just fine here.
>>
>>54200882
If it's white you've got the most important one.
>>
>>54200860
>WASP
>P
Do Catholics have it that bad in the US these days?

But yes, lines one and two were a mix of Jews in 19th-20th century Europe and minorities in America, three is Palestinians, and four is Mexicans and Palestinians, basically. Though there are probably more examples of each.
>>
>>54200922
I was going more for historically than only counting the current year.
>>
>>54200910
Yeah, it's white. White Irish Atheist. A WIAboo, if you will.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.