[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes a player cringey? What does cringey mean? Picture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: city-1-1.jpg (135KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
city-1-1.jpg
135KB, 800x600px
What makes a player cringey?

What does cringey mean?

Picture obviously unrelated.
>>
>>54194434
ask reddit
>>
If they say "bbeg" out loud.
>>
>>54194561

What's wrong with BBEGs?

>>54194517

Fuck those guys.
>>
Never trust a player with a canal in their city.
>>
>>54194434
From what I've seen cringyness is all about a lacking followthrough.
Someone can play a brooding antihero or a nasty villain and do it justice and not be cringy, it's all about how they do it.

Imagine that you are at the table and there's a player who wants to play a noble paladin who smites evil and delivers rousing speeches. This could easily turn into a horrible cringe-fest if he does it wrong, but if the player can actually make a good speech with a proper tone and well-placed words it will work. The player who can back up their character's noble approach to life with some philosophical argument (or at least some convincingly brainwashed jargon) will be playing in character and isn't really cringy. They're just acting.

Now imagine that you are bound and gagged in the rubble of a house just west of Aleppo. There's a large man who's arms are covered in scars and hides his face under bloodstained rags waving a curved sword at your face. He unwraps his facial garb and licks the sword before holding it to your throat. If you were actually in this scenario you wouldn't be thinking "wow what an edgelord" you would probably think "this dude is crazy and I'm going to die". He has followthrough, the threat is legitimate, and so he is not cringy.

Back to the tabletop, if a player described the scene above like I just did, heh in a session you would definitely cringe. Especially if it clashed with the rest of what is going on and the guy's voice cracked halfway through. He has no followthrough. There is no threat here, and if the player is playing this seriously the game will suffer. This player is cringy because A: they can't back up their act in any way and B: they do this not to develop a character but to make a character "cool" or "badass" or whatever.

Just my two cents.
>>
When they're off-tone in a bad way. Cringey means it makes you cringe. They could be way too into it, they could be not enough into it - most commonly for me I see an inability to 'read the room' or read the game/group when they're deciding on their character or their character's actions.

I tend to be very forgiving of new players on that, but less so of people who've been in the hobby for a long time.
>>
>>54194434

Peripheral assholetry. When they're fucking it up for everybody, especially if they're even fucking it up for themselves, and they have no idea how or why or what to do about it.
>>
>>54194434
When they spell 'cringy' as 'cringey'.
>>
File: 1270145310357.jpg (30KB, 240x468px) Image search: [Google]
1270145310357.jpg
30KB, 240x468px
>>54194434
Cringy usually derives from a lack of awareness; generally self-awareness, but it can be social awareness as well. Cringy stuff/people will do things one logically should not, but without any sense of irony or humor; they mean what they say and say what they mean, even when it's either asinine and/or inappropriate.
Often coupled with a misunderstanding of the difference between dark and edgy things. Dark things have heavy, nihilistic, and/or aggressively abrasive thematic elements that revolve around purposefully chosen and organized plot points, and edgy things being things that are solely designed to try and convince you that they're dark. Therefore, by it's very nature, edgy things are intrinsically cringy, and cringy things/people are often perpetrators of this aforementioned edgey-falacy.
It's all from that same lack of awareness.
>>
>>54194434
It's cringy. Not Cringey. You mongrel
>>
>>54194434
A player is cringey if they play tabletop games.
Therefore, anyone who complains about things being cringey does not play tabletop.
>>
>>54194561
>bitching about BBEG
ugh.
>>
>>54198323
Wow, it's not because OP is filthy rat that he's jewish, you can't know that.
>>
>>54194434
I don't really know a concrete way to describe it. But I know a lot of traits that seem to be common in people I personally have to resist cringing at.

>doesn't take hints or read social queues
>generally speaking, they seem to lack an understanding of what an "inside voice" is
>lacks self-awareness in general
>injects themselves into other peoples' conversations as their primary form of communication
>will turn a difference of opinion into a "debate" on who's opinion is better informed/why you should like this thing they like
>>
>>54198246
>>54198323
No, it's "Cringe-inducing", you stupid fucking redditors.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.