[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>campaign revolves around player characters and how their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 20.png (206KB, 361x361px) Image search: [Google]
20.png
206KB, 361x361px
>campaign revolves around player characters and how their struggles bring them together
>suddenly it turns into a political thriller where the PCs get pushed around by powerful royals
>endgame is preventing the destruction of the world

Why do GMs think that they need to up the scale for their games to be good? Especially when it's obvious everyone's enjoying it as it is?
>>
>>54182890
Did you try talking it out with your GM?
>>
>>54183000
I didn't ask how do I deal with it, I asked why GMs keep doing it.
>>
>>54182890
Lots of players say they want epic shit, grand, world shaking stuff. Lots of GMs think that is how games are supposed to go. Going from battling a few orcs near rivendel to Helm's Deep, then to destroying the dark lord himself

Fun fact: That's hard as fuck to run and turns things into endless escalation.

People are happier with a game that has a consistent scale and themes.
>>
>>54182890
Because in order to keep a plot interesting and engaging, you have to change up the structure every once in awhile.

Note that this is not the same as escalation of the plot, but 9/10 people are too retarded to know the difference.

Also if we're talking about garbage games like DnD and it's derivatives, the players eventually becoming god-tier in terms of power as they gain levels kinda shuts down how engaging simple down-to-earth plot arcs can be.
>>
>>54182890
The answer is levels. Levels cause problems. When you play a zero-to-hero one-to-twenty system, a natural narrative has to form from this.

If you start at level 1 in a system that says level 1 fights goblins and has to learn to get together and adapt to these rising challenge.

While goblins can be interesting for levels 1-4, eventually the mechanics push you towards being stronger and facing bigger threats.

By level 20, you have enough power that facing anything less than the god of evil feels like a waste of power.

Now, for systems outside of DnD, this is because DnD is the baseline and everyone knows a DnD story, so plenty of GMs (and hell, systems) put these structures innately into the story assumptions.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.