[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it a good idea to use Dark Sun as a setting for my first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Athas_map.jpg (1MB, 1599x1135px) Image search: [Google]
Athas_map.jpg
1MB, 1599x1135px
Is it a good idea to use Dark Sun as a setting for my first ever campaign?
>>
>>54162282
Somewhat. Part of the settings charm is it subverts expectations. Vicious cannibal halflings and lazy shit gypsy elves and dwarves fucking humans doesn't have the same impact if you aren't passingly familiar with the tropes. It's also a fairly dark, gritty, and lethal setting which may not be good for first timers depending on their temperament.
>>
>>54162581
Would you recommend just going with Forgotten Realms first?
>>
>>54162619
depends on the group.

I'm leaning yes, but i'm sure /tg/ will throw a huge bitchfit because REEEE FR REEEE

but as a kitchen sink, it has pretty much everything you could need for anything basic.
>>
>>54162282
I don't see why not. The important part is that you're running the kind of game you want to run.

Just remember that things will go wrong, and try to learn from them.
>>
>>54162282
Yes.

It's far more interesting than generic fantasy land (TM).

You just have to run it true to the world which is the tricky thing. Enforce rules for hunger, thirst , heat exhaustion, long term injuries. Make resources incredibly scarce. Any water source is heavily guarded by either templars or some faction which don't want your players having any.

Likewise magic is inherently evil and so if any players are casters they'll have to live with the violent repercussions casting brings . This removes one of the issues in D&D of caster supremacy. Yes theres Psion's to balance but they're not as bad as full casters.

Likewise there's no gods, so no clerics , paladins etc which removes another shitty issue in traditional D&d settings.

Remember in this world your players aren't heroes, they're weak, scared , powerless, hungry and broken.
>>
>>54162767
>Remember in this world your players aren't heroes, they're weak, scared , powerless, hungry and broken.
>setting is so harsh it breeds tougher people and says even commoners are so tough they'd be PCs in other sttings
>>
>>54164341
That still doesn't make them heroes. They just have comparably better stats to a forgotten realms character or whatever , but so does everyone else so it's pretty moot.

A sorcerer king will still make them their bitch and they'll still be fucked if they're stuck in the desert with no water or ways to resist the sun.
>>
>>54162282
Go for it!
>>
>>54162282
Original Dark Sun (not being hipster, I just don't know the differences) was one of the first campaign worlds I ran, and for me it worked out fine.
>>
>>54162619
As a experienced DM, yes.
Go with a generic popular published setting first and only later decide what you like and what your group like through your enjoyment and experiences.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.