[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>playing a game that uses a battlemap >DM is an amateur

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

>playing a game that uses a battlemap
>DM is an amateur magician
>whenever an enemy successfully hides in shadows or suddenly pops out, the DM uses sleight of hand to make the enemy miniature disappear or appear respectively
Is this awesome?
>>
>>54161787
yes
>>
File: slingblade.jpg (77KB, 720x384px) Image search: [Google]
slingblade.jpg
77KB, 720x384px
>>54161787

mhhmm yup
>>
>>54161787

Could be fun if it's subtle. As a DM, I would be concerned that it would either jar people out o the game or cause me to make less-than-stellar encounters because I'm working around the move instead of the story.

As an amateur magician, I'm more concerned with their only being a few moves that will work with the miniatures and the more a move is repeated the more obvious it is.

Personally, I would save it for the big, big things where it's going to have maximum impact for minimum disruption.
>>
>>54161787
>player is an amateur magician
>whenever he would roll low, uses sleighr of hand to make his dice come up with a better result
>>
>>54164352
That's a good point. I play OSR so combat should be less frequent, and I was thinking of only using it if the party was surprised or the enemy used some kind of invisibility spell. But even then it could get to be a bit much.
>>54164698
Just get weighted dice. Much harder to detect, especially if you have identical regular dice. In a system like WoD this would be flawless cheating because you can just use that dice as part of your pool often but not always (being careful to only refrain from using it when failure wouldn't be catastrophic) in order to throw off suspicion.
>>
What's the point? Either your party hasn't noticed the person or lost track, in which case there is no need to make a miniature appear at all, or they have spotted it, in which case it can be placed on the map for all to see.

What does sleight of hand accomplish here, other than being enjoyable to watch as sleight of hand generally is?
>>
>>54165558
>in which case it can be placed on the map for all to see
The idea would be like, you move like you're pointing to something and when you move your hand back, there's a new miniature there on the map. Surprise!

Basically a way to make it even more surprising when the party is ambushed, or to visually differentiate "they ran away" from "that motherfucker vanished."
>>
>>54165519
>Just get weighted dice. Much harder to detect, especially if you have identical regular dice. In a system like WoD this would be flawless cheating because you can just use that dice as part of your pool often but not always (being careful to only refrain from using it when failure wouldn't be catastrophic) in order to throw off suspicion.

True but only to a point.

For DMs who would like to test if a players is doing as such here is how i find it out: Call for a series of test to be rolled in order and write out the results in front of the players. Say it will matter later on. Watch every roll. Also secretly write down the size of the pool. Via a probability finder and a little standard deviation it is not that hard to find out just how "lucky' some has been .

For those that of us who can not in math just keep clear table and ask another player in sercet to watch the dice the believe cheaper puts into his pool.
>>
>>54167187
If the person is good enough at sleight of hand to do what >>54164698 was suggesting, he or she is certainly good enough to swap out the loaded dice for a normal one when the DM starts to catch on.

Or, hell, just only use the loaded one in absolutely vital situations. Two or three times per session at most.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.