[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, does anyone have an idea of how much siege equipment should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: pirate-ship.jpg (58KB, 540x297px) Image search: [Google]
pirate-ship.jpg
58KB, 540x297px
Hey, does anyone have an idea of how much siege equipment should cost in 5e? Some siege weapons are stated out in the DMG but they don't have an gp cost associated with them.

I'm using that as a template for stating a bunch of different kinds of cannons because I want to run an Age of Sail, low-magic Renaissance-tech setting type of naval campaign, and I thought outfitting ships would be a fun experience for some of the more numbers-minded members of my group. I just have no idea in what ballpark I should put the cost of things like swivel guns, long nines, culverins, carronades, and the like. Otherwise I think I have a pretty good idea for how I'm going to run this.
>>
>>54160291
Siege engines have no cost. You don't buy a catapult or a siege tower, then haul it to a war. You hire engineers and soldiers and build them on-site.

Cannons, on the other hand, are very expensive because shitloads of metal.

I don't know 5e, but assuming it's standard D&D costs, then between 1k and 20k, depending on damage. Entry level of 1k, second tier 2.5k. Second-to-last tier 10k, and best-tier 20k. Or whatever those values convert to in 5e terms.
>>
>>54160392
Oh and mid tier are all 5k-7.5k, depending on special things like "lights shit on fire," "grapeshot to crew," "damages sails," et cetera.
>>
>>54160392
>Siege engines have no cost. You don't buy a catapult or a siege tower, then haul it to a war. You hire engineers and soldiers and build them on-site.
>Cannons, on the other hand, are very expensive because shitloads of metal.
This makes a lot of sense, I should have clarified. The 5e DMG's section on siege engines includes a statblock for a "cannon". Doesn't say how much it weighs, or how much it costs, just that it's a Large object that needs another creature to spend an action to be load it, an action to aim it, and an action to fire it. It then lists range and damage. I figured just having one kind of cannon in a naval campaign would be boring as fuck, especially since the cannon statblock they gave was probably made with a large field gun in mind instead of the smaller cannons a ship would have.

I'm changing some things up with house rules so that it fits better with a setting where black powder weapons are very common, if not ubiquitous. For instance, instead of letting the cannon have it's own attack roll and modifier, I'm making it dependent on the attack roll and modifier of the character who aims it, as well as giving cannons their own proficiency category. Should make specing into cannon operation a more rewarding track to take.

I think 1k might be a bit much on the lower end, what with cannons being effectively mass-produced in this setting with cast iron technology. I don't know. It's also hard to judge how much gold I should be throwing the party's way.
>>
>>54160527
>This makes a lot of sense, I should have clarified. The 5e DMG's section on siege engines includes a statblock for a "cannon".
Wasn't trying to lecture you, sorry. Was explaining why RPGs list those things without prices.
>>
>>54160291
I think there was some info in heros of battle for 3e you might be able to calculate some costs from.
>>
>>54160732
No worries, it's all good.
>>54160766
Hmm, seems to only list traditional siege engines and not cannons, but you might be on to something there. A swivel gun could be considered the Age of Sail equivalent of a light ballista, a culverin the equivalent of a heavy ballista, and so on. I could use the prices of those siege engines as a guideline. Thanks.
>>
>>54160291
i cant seem to find many sources with me that tell me about medieval siege weapon construction, so i am going to have to make several uneducated guesses and assumptions

the largest working modern recreation trebuchet weighs about 22 metric tons but was based off english designs, so lets assume your trebuchet is almost as big at 15 tons

15 tons of wood is a large amount, but given that a 400lb wagon costs 35gp, lets say you are buying 80 wagons worth of wood. the wagon already includes the cost of carpenters, so we can assume that 80 wagons cost already includes the cost of labor

so we get 80 x 35gp
or 2800gp for a 15ton trebuchet
the price might be lower, since a single group working on a single large project might have better economy of scale than making 80 wagons
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.