[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good system for emulating that YA urban fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: 1436737436502.jpg (67KB, 470x590px) Image search: [Google]
1436737436502.jpg
67KB, 470x590px
What's a good system for emulating that YA urban fantasy flavor? I've got an itch for stuff like that.
>>
Monsterhearts.
>>
>>54159697
Unironically, this.
>>
me irl on the left
>>
>>54159500
What's the stats on Chad and Stacy?
>>
>>54159825
18 cha
8 wis
>>
>>54159500
World of Darkness.
>>
>>54159697

First post has it. Monsterhearts is top to bottom designed for this.
>>
>>54159697

/thread
>>
>>54159825
>Chad
Hit points: He didn't even flinch
Armor class: He dodged it
Attack bonus: You were hit
Damage: Your whole world is now pain. You can't move your body. You have a feeling you will be eating through a straw for a long time.

>Stacey
Charisma: You do what she says
Armor class: Chad is now between you and her. He blocked it.
Attack bonus: Chad is now right in front of you. You hear Stacey laughing.
Damage bonus: Stacey promises sexual favors to Chad in exchange for shattering your jaw.
>>
>>54160028
>>54159697
Sell me on it instead of just giving me the title please.
>>
>>54160047
If you're serious about looking into it, then grab a PDF instead of waiting for us to spoonfeed you.
>>
File: 1455741953363.jpg (48KB, 439x550px) Image search: [Google]
1455741953363.jpg
48KB, 439x550px
>>54160040
With synergy like that, they seem like a nice couple.

>tfw
>>
>>54159697

I just hope you don't think MH is for good endings and shit.

I mean, it's a TREMENDOUS game, seriously, but it's not for feelgood romance and love conquers all. It's "highschool is hell and highschooler are monsters, hopefully the characters can survive it being somewhat human inside, perhaps even learning something".

>>54160047

As I said: that highschool is a bitch. And you know it's true. The powers and the urges of the players are to amplify the thing, but at the core, it's high drama about that.

It sounds as a silly premise, or at least a little weak. But this an INTENSE game, trust me. Perhaps because it's more familiar than high fantasy drama, but in my experience because the game works the AW engine to even more intense heights. The guys you're gonna play will be between honest friendship and "I want/need that other thing" EVERY FUCKING SECOND.

>the infamous sex part might or might be not that important between PCs. I think it usually happens at least with NPCs, anyway, it's thematically appropriate
>>
>>54160194

Hell, I'll add the skins. The probably will sell or not the game to you.

https://buriedwithoutceremonyblog.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/reference-sheets-and-core-skins1.pdf

>Fae: not just the vengeful fairy, but the dealer
>Ghost: trauma and how to deal with it
>Ghoul: the need for something more than anything else
>Hollow. Frankestein's monster. Or Rei Ayanami.
>Infernal: with great powers from hell, comes, great lows. VERY great lows.
>Mortal: if you think love can save you. It will be... interesting.
>Queen: the one with a gang. It's not easier on top, tough.
>Vampire: the manipulator.
>Werewolf: the primal.
>Witch: the vengeful
>>
>>54160071
>instead of waiting for us to spoonfeed you
this isn't /a/
>>
>>54160550
You're right, this is a reasonable request for OP to make. My apologies.
>>
>>54160593
Even now there is hope for /tg/.
>>
File: 1307372259349.jpg (48KB, 224x257px) Image search: [Google]
1307372259349.jpg
48KB, 224x257px
>>54160620
>>
>>54160194
God monster hearts is such boring garbage. When I was pitched it it sounded cool, but every game was boring
>>
>>54161091

Can you expand on what you disliked about it? Was it a general disconnect with the style of PbtA games, or something more specific?
>>
>>54161100
It just...didn't pull me in.

I can get into fantasy and sci fi because it's so far detached from me, where with Monsterhearts i just kept trying to relate it to my own high school experience and it just seemed over the top and dumb. High School isn't hard, it's just boring. Or at least was when I went, so MH felt that way to me.

The system itself is fine though, and it works fairly well. Just...not my thing.
>>
File: etu.jpg (110KB, 500x764px) Image search: [Google]
etu.jpg
110KB, 500x764px
>>54159500
ETA is pretty fun
>>
>>54161375
How does it work?
>>
>>54160047
Monsterhears is a system designed entirely around the social impact of any situation, and it's built just as much on your player's character interactions as it is on the events you create, which can make the game very chaotic and surprising.

Characters are made using "skins", each of which are based off of a kind of supernature trope with their own abilities that allow them to manipulate their way around the social extremes of high school to gain and upper-hand on their peers.

The engine is built to make the characters melodramatic and to constantly build upon inter-character tension, and it's focus is more on the politics of teenage drama, rather than combat/loot/etc. though combat can still happen.

I've run four "seasons" of Monsterhearts, and the only complaint I had was the bizarre and heavily forced "queer content", where every character was so sexually confused that they were incapable of being turned on by basically anything depending on the role of the dice. However 2nd Edition fixed most of the problems that forced your characters into weird situations like that, that don't make any sense in-character.

As a whole, I'd say that the biggest flaw with the system is trying to find a group of people that you can play with that aren't horribly awkward.

>>54161178
Although I like Monsterhearts, it's definitely not for everyone. If you're not a fan of supernatural dramas like Teenwolf, Buffy, Supernatural, Charmed, etc. You're not going to have as good a time with it.

As a side note, the characters I've made for Monsterhearts are some of my favorites, as the system really allows you to breath life into your creation.
>>
urban fantasy like what
>>
File: 40topkeks.png (249KB, 358x358px) Image search: [Google]
40topkeks.png
249KB, 358x358px
>>54160040
>>
>>54160040
what about the part where you contact your legal representative and file charges?
>>
>>54163449
Chad and/or Stacy and their family/families use their army of Lawyers to counter-sue you and your immediate family into poverty.

You're also labeled a sexual predator when Stacy and all of her friends testify against you, and Chad destroys your bike/car.
>>
File: No one likes a grass no sound.webm (905KB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
No one likes a grass no sound.webm
905KB, 400x224px
>>54163449
Related.

There were no witnesses. You tripped.

Or at least that's what Chad's dad's lawyer tells him to say
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.