[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options: http://media.wi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 37

File: 1464384277871.jpg (771KB, 1525x1959px) Image search: [Google]
1464384277871.jpg
771KB, 1525x1959px
>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on 5e General:
>>54146634

What're your character's grooming habits?
>>
File: Comprehend Languages.jpg (2MB, 1280x3480px) Image search: [Google]
Comprehend Languages.jpg
2MB, 1280x3480px
>no title
this is now Marcille thread
>>
File: it's not normal.png (99KB, 552x336px) Image search: [Google]
it's not normal.png
99KB, 552x336px
>>54157810
>>54157787
KA-posting....
>>
This is the warlock of threads.
>>
File: 1366883543068.jpg (97KB, 902x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1366883543068.jpg
97KB, 902x1600px
The elf child above isn't edgy enough. What a shame.
>>
Do you design dialogue in advance or just wing it?
>>
Repost of OP faggotry

>Minor Modrons
>Level 2 Warlock spell (Pact of Order)
>Components- V, S, M- A clockwork device aligned to Mechanus worth 100 gp
>Duration- 1 hour (Concentration)
>Cast time- 1 Action

>You briefly summon a 10ft wide by 10 ft tall one-way portal to Mechanus, from which 6 Monodrones march out and stand at attention.The summoned creatures stand idle until commanded. Roll initiative for the summoned creatures as a group, which has its own turns. They obey any verbal commands that a Duodrone issues to them (no action required by you) and ignore communication from any other beings. If a Duodrone doesn't issue any commands to them, they take no actions except to continue their previous command single-mindedly. The DM has the creatures' statistics.

(In this case the level 1 Law Warlock ability is "You speak Modron and count as a Duodrone when communicating with them)
>>
>>54157787
My character was starting to go on a pirate campaign, where we would cross the ocean for weeks at a time, and I was the only one who bought soap and a change of clothes. So that makes me the cleanest of everyone in the group, somehow.
>>
>>54157787
Tightly bound beard takes work and deeply fissured scars require thorough cleaning.
>>
File: 1497467372131.jpg (400KB, 855x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1497467372131.jpg
400KB, 855x1200px
Why is the rogue's level 20 feature arguably worse than a feature that divination wizards get at level 2?
>>
File: 020.png (920KB, 1125x1600px) Image search: [Google]
020.png
920KB, 1125x1600px
>>54157961

>not making your own soap out of sea monsters

>>54157893
>The elf child above isn't edgy enough. What a shame.

Stop ear-shaming Marcille! It isn't her fault she's obese! Really! She has to keep the crazy cannibal leading her party happy, so no refusing food!
>>
>>54157956
Op and don't do this. We all know Warlock's one of the most boring classes around, giving it even more at-will damage isn't gonna fix that.

With this the Warlock would be stupid not to just have 6 of these following him around for an extra 6d6+6 damage each turn. Sure they die easy but between 6d6+6 and Eldritch Blast at level 3 he's gonna fuck over everything.
>>
>>54158129
The idea is that they'd need micromanagement to not be dumb, as Monodrones do, but that depends on the DM and it's better to balance around hard rules rather than DM interpretation I suppose.
>>
>>54158107
Level 20 features aren't all good. It's just that some classes get better ones, especially a couple of classes that get shafted in the levels earlier than that.

For example, bard gets jack shit in its very last levels.
>>
>>54158129
>>54158171
Forgot to add- maybe it'd be better to make it take a full action to command them, as it takes you a while to essentially speak Binary out loud, so if a Monodrone kills a target and doesn't get new orders it would either stand idle again or attack a random target, including other Monodrones
>>
>>54158171
Honestly I don't think this can work as a Warlock spell because we've already been over why Short Rest recharge Conjuring is bad. Then again those "Once per long rest use a Warlock slot" ideas are dumb as well.

I'd make it an invocation that lets them summon 6
for an hour once per day, put a level 4 or 5 level restriction on it.
>>
>>54158183
>For example, bard gets jack shit in its very last levels.

Not true, they get 9th level spells and their final opportunity to steal two high level spells from any other class, giving them a free hand to pick out the best spells in the game.
>>
>>54158212
Might be better as a class ability which upgrades with WLK level then, since I was otherwise going to make stronger ones as you leveled up, with a 9th level spell to summon a Modron platoon
>>
>>54158260
I was referring to level 19 and 20 where many people consider multiclassing out of bard.
However, now that I look over it again, it's honestly not so bad - An ASI, an extra level 7 spell and 'possibly' some extra bardic inspiration if you're wasteful with it / if you insist that you can start an encounter with anything.

A lot of classes get 'you regain resources' at level 20.
Barbarian gets infinite rages as well as other boons.
Druid gets infinite wild shape.
But then,
Bard gets 'you gain a bardic inspiration under certain conditions'
Sorcerer gets 'you get four more sorcerery points on a short rest'
Monk gets 'if you somehow spend 20 ki before a short rest and start an encounter you can have 4 ki back'
Those last three aren't great but they're not bad.
>>
>>54158261
Also rough overlay-

>Level 1
You speak Modron and count as a Duodrone when communicating with Modrons

>Level 6
You count as a Tridrone or lower when communicating with Modrons, get a 1/short rest Advantage or something

>Level 10
Count as Quadrone or lower, maybe a PC Axiomatic Mind? Not sure how to balance that though, as PCs can be nebulous at best when it comes to acting out Alignment.

>Level 14
Count as Pentadrone or lower, not sure what would be a good ability.

Making Modron summoning Invocations is probably the best way to go about it
>>
>>54158373
>maybe a PC Axiomatic Mind? Not sure how to balance that though
Immunity to being charmed and frightened
>>
I'm making a setting about airships and floating islands (because of magic wars sennanigans).
The surface is covered in darkness, and it is said that those who enter it never come back.
What's down there, /tg/?
>>
>>54158432
Yeah that's the obvious route but kinda feel like that steps on Archfey's toes, though Fear and Charmed is different enough from "Charm and Countercharm" it's fine.
>>
>>54158440
A magical realm. THE magical realm.
>>
>>54158440
Nothing. It's a bottomless pit that eventually becomes outer space, and if you go far enough the GOOs start wondering what the fuck you're doing in their kitchen.
>>
>>54158440
Jungle world, fill with monstrosity.
>>
>>54158440
Gravity reverses and it's a mirror image of the sky above the crowds, but slightly different.
>>
>>54158440
The normal world, after developing after the war and returning to relative peace without knowing of the islands hidden in the skies by vast illusions.
>>
>>54158578
why hasn't anyone returned, though?
>>
>>54158440
Magical darkness means no plant life. Maybe some Underdark kind of stuff is still alive, glowing mushrooms and grimlocks and stuff like that. Or maybe the darkness is a thick blanket of toxic polluted air, and there's all futuristic ruins down there.
>>
>>54158373
Some Invocation ideas
>Level 3
The above Modron summon spell once a day
>Level 6 or so?
Monodrone Familiars- once/long rest you can indefinitely summon two Monodrones to act as servants or guards for [arbitrary number] gp per summoning (in M components), you can only have 2 at a time and they vanish if they get [arbitrary distance] from you
Level 6 seems like the point where 2 cr1/8 creatures should have negligible effect on combat
>Better Modron summon
Summon higher CR ones once/long rest
>>
>>54158440
A really hard surface with corpses and decay all over it, but the magic that holds the islands up keeps any dust from forming, so it's a massive graveyard.
Inside the really hard surface is the core of the planet, which turns out to be a long-lost alien vessel that has, for a long, long, long, long time been ruined and overrun by all sorts of creatures, and it happened to gather soil and become a full planet until shit happened and everything's in the sky.

People don't return because they either go down into the core and die there or because they can't fucking fly. Gravity.
>>
How come there is none barbarian path based on the mongols?

Is there any homebrew?
>>
>>54158681
Or just straight-up Underdark except instead of tunnels and cramped areas it's vast flat wastelands with only a few caves and cramped areas, with Drow adapting to "surface" life. Explorers that go through the dark have lanterns or etc. that attract deadly wildlife.

Call it something edgy like "The Nightlands".
>>
>>54158717
Play a ranged fighter and ride a horse?
>>
Is magic darkness the great equalizer? The spell caster can't see in it and the opponent can't see in it. Disadvantage canceling the advantage right?
>>
>>54158717
A couple of reasons. First, people generally don't want to bring horses into dungeons, and so mounted combat gets little support. Second, Mongols aren't really known for flying into mindless rages like Norse berserkers are. Despite their nomadic lifestyle, their level of organization, law, and discipline make them more fighter-like than barbarian-like.

Honestly, what you want is a Cavalier fighter, which they've already released in a UA.
>>
>>54158759
Devil's Sight, Blindsight, Tremorsense, and Truesight all exist.
>>
>>54158373
>Level 14- 120ft Truesight
Mite b cool
>>
>>54158765
Oh yeah, thing I didn't even consider - D&D barbarians are shit at archery. Their class features depend on making Str-based melee attacks.
>>
>>54158846
That's what I'm taliking, what if a path let you use str for damage roll with bows and rage didn't end earlier?
>>
>>54158107
It's always 20 instead of rolling, you decide to use it after you fail instead of before rolling and it comes back after a short rest instead of a long rest.

You can't use it on as many kinds of rolls, but it is better than portent in a lot of ways. Mostly it's just not portent. It also overrides portents used against you.
>>
>>54158899
Because the flavor doesn't match at all. If you're a barbarian, you're a psycho who weaponizes anger to carve through enemies and ignore pain. That just plain doesn't fit with aiming a bow. You can throw weapons using Strength, but Mongols were more about bows.

Seriously, just be a fighter, preferably a cavalier. Why do you think you have to be a barbarian?
>>
>>54157900
I come up with a basic message that needs to be conveyed, but a pre-written speech has a high likelihood of being re-written by players.
>>
File: PC Tsakai.png (709KB, 724x1072px) Image search: [Google]
PC Tsakai.png
709KB, 724x1072px
>>54158943
This. The Mingol (Lankhmarian Mongol) in my campaign is a Champion Fighter.
The only changes to him were the loss of Heavy Armor Proficiency for a Weapon Mastery feat of his choice (he went with scimitars/swords).

art related
>>
What should a rogue use expertise on? Stealth and tools at level 1 and then base level 6 off the campaign?
>>
>>54159013
Perception if no one else is good at it, Athletics if you are going to be doing a lot of free-climbing, Persuasion if no one else is a Bard or some other class good at it.
>>
>>54159013
Also Athletics if you are a shitty meme-character wrestler.
>>
>>54158923
>It's always 20 instead of rolling, you decide to use it after you fail instead of before rolling and it comes back after a short rest instead of a long rest.

But portent can be applied to anyone instead of just the user, which enormously increases its flexibility and makes low rolls very useful anyway. In addition, portent covers saving throws while stroke of luck doesn't. And portent can be used 2-3 times per long rest while stroke of luck is once per short rest, which in practice isn't a big difference, and sometimes makes portent even better (if you wanted to use it multiple times against a difficult enemy, for instance).

The case can be made that they are about the same in overall usefulness, but one of them comes at level 2 and the other comes at level 20.
>>
>>54158768
Disregarding those abilities. Is it neutral correct? Against creatures who do not have those options.
>>
>>54159092
Portent is vastly more useful than Stroke of Luck, how is this even an argument/discussion?

Also, Stroke of Luck is arguably one of the worst 20th level abilities in the game.
>>
>>54159125
Yes.
>>
>>54159125
There are also certain classes that lose their penalty for being unable to see their foes.
>>
File: 1334678684.jpg (124KB, 616x616px) Image search: [Google]
1334678684.jpg
124KB, 616x616px
Hey 5eg, I need some help from engineering types.

>Bearbarian 6
>Powerful Build racial feature
>Brawny feat

All in all the dude can lift/push over 2 tons.

Now, as far as doors, walls go, how should I reflect this massive strength in game?
Just looking for a simple chart, within reason, similar to how the DMG handles item AC.
So wood doors can resist roughly _____ lbs of push weight or whatever, stone walls can resist roughly ______ much ect.

I want him to be able to enjoy being the fucking hulk, you know? While also keeping things within reason.
What do you guys think far as numbers go?

>pic possibly related
>>
>>54159238
Reminder that your stated lift/push is what you can comfortably do all day long without a test at all. If you need to move more weight, you can make an Athletics check.
>>
Anyone who has used this, what are some good multiclasses that go with it?
>>
>>54159339
I know, dude is literally in a world of Play Doh
>>
>>54159429
desu I'd just let him tear down anything that's not heavily reinforced, and the reinforced stuff as well if given enough time. Don't need to go all maths in it, just do what you consider adequate.
So wooden doors he just kick them down, tears most stone walls in a couple of rounds, with a test to tear it all at once while raging. Stuff like that. The wizard is flying over obstacles, let the barbarian crush through them.
>>
>>54159517
think I will probably.
I'll see what everyone else has to say, check with the group as a whole, but as it is for a cheese to the max hgh lethality game I think the party is gonna be stoked
>>
>>54158440
I wouldn't have the surface covered in darkness. I would say to just have a generally thick cloud layer and then beneath that is all sorts of hazardous terrain like jagged spires and violent windstorms.

Then, it becomes something more interesting, since it's still hellish to try and traverse or explore it, but if you really need to slip under the radar or go unnoticed, you could risk your airship in a daring maneuver to fly that incredibly low.
>>
So, earlier there was some discussion about abjuration wizard with armor of agathys. I'm doing stats right now, and I've come to a thought: If you want to get hit to trigger the AoA damage, is it better to go with lower armor? Survivability isn't really an issue with all the ward and temp HP that'll be flying around. What do you guys think? Intentionally go with lower armor, or don't?
>>
>>54159013
Perception>Stealth>Athletics>>Investigation>Persuasion>Nature>Arcana>Insight>Acrobatics>Thieves' Tools

Choose any of those but the first three are highset recommendable.
>>
Light Crossbow or Hand Crossbow for a halfing ranger? I like the light crossbow, but I assume that 1H Weapon + Hand Crossbow is a more powerful combo, especially with crossbow expert.
>>
>>54159013
Stealth and Insight are the two with the highest potential to absolutely fuck you over if you fail on them. Anything else is nice to have, but Stealth and Insight are usually higher-stakes checks.
>>
>>54160054
Might as well go hand crossbows since you can't use heavy crossbows. +1.052 damage per hit isn't worth it over an extra attack for 1d6+dex damage.
>>
>>54160076
>Insight
Failing insight doesn't really screw you over. You usually roll insight when someone is suspicious and if you roll poorly then you're just gonna still be suspicious.

I'd prefer athletics or perception as they both get a lot of use.
>>
File: Decidueye.jpg (118KB, 850x448px) Image search: [Google]
Decidueye.jpg
118KB, 850x448px
>>54160054
Hand Crossbow is always the best choice of ranged weapon in the game, for any class. The extra attack from corssbow expert is just that good. There are entire ranged fighter builds made around the hand crossbow, but almost none around the longbow or heavy crossbow.
>>
>>54160026
No love for deception?
>>
>>54160054
You need a free hand to reload.
>>
>>54160150
It's a maybe, but generally persuasion is better.
I guess if you're playing an evil character deception might be better but even then persuasion sometimes comes out on top.

It's just persuasion is generally better and there are times you can try both persuasion or deception.
>>
>>54160153
shit, that's right. crossbow in one hand and nothing in the other, then? with CE I'd still be able to get the bonus action attack, right?
>>
>>54160182
Correct. Add Sharpshooter for extra fun!
>>
>>54160196
And with sharpshooter go hunter and get volley + horde breaker to add +10 to all of those extra attacks and refluff your hand crossbow as a machinegun.
>>
>>54160228
I was thinking about going Stalker Conclave from the revised UA article but that sounds beautiful too
>>
>>54159985
Warlock 1/Wizard X, go for a Deep Gnome.

When you get to 5 pick up the Deep Gnome racial feat for free casting of nondetection. You can cast nondetection whenever you want for 6 points of Arcane Ward.
>>
Am I going to be annoying to other people if I take the Mounted Combatant feat even though I don't own a mount? My character's a Knight and I figure I'll buy a cheap Horse asap for travel and combat where appropriate.
>>
>>54159985
>>54160571
Reminder that if your DM allows you to do this he's a cuck
>>
>>54160844
I agree it's stupid, but even a singleclassed Deep Gnome Wizard can pull this off RAW and RAI.

The weird part is I think this is the only cheesy combo that is allowed in AL games, because it only requires a single feat to be able to function.
>>
>>54160571
Just use warlock's armour of shadows.

It's slower but you're probably using it mostly out of combat anyway and you get mage armour out of it.
>>
File: 1477695609293.jpg (107KB, 644x830px) Image search: [Google]
1477695609293.jpg
107KB, 644x830px
>>54160878
>>54160891

It doesn't change the fact that any DM who actually allows this is a retard.
>>
>>54160891
Issue there is you've now spent two more levels in Warlock when you're likely INT based. Plus you lose out on Arcane Ward points.

>>54160906
Depends on the group, in a party of CE+SS Rangers and PAM+GWM Barbarians it's a perfectly okay thing to allow, in a normal party you're probably gonna want to shut it down as soon as you see a Deep Gnome Abjurer.
>>
>>54160926
But you get to pick up agonizing blast, which is much better than just flinging firebolts around.

I guess the problem is if you want to use armor of agathys you're probably going to put yourself in danger which means you also need high con, and 'maybe' good dex (Though higher AC means it's harder for enemies to hurt themself).

Deep gnome is probably a better way of doing it but it's race-restrictive and more likely to get gunned down by a DM, I suppose.
>>
>>54160878

I was planning on being a Tiefling rather than a Deep Gnome. Perhaps another time.
>>
>>54160906
It's not even good.
>>
File: 1498968914881.jpg (91KB, 821x1124px) Image search: [Google]
1498968914881.jpg
91KB, 821x1124px
What do I do if I want to play a character who's entire thing is he's trained for years on becoming tough as shit to kill or bring down.

We're starting at level 5 but will likely go to 20, this is my favorite group because they can actually keep it together for a long campaign.

I was thinking a Long Death Monk, maybe Hill Dwarf or Revenant if the DM will let me. Any other ways to become unkillable?
>>
>>54157810

Was this fan-art?
>>
>>54161246
Long Death Monk
Immortal Mystic
Champion Fighter (at high level)
Bear Barbarian
Life Cleric
Moon Druid (might not fit the implied theme)

Use the one Planeshift Human if you can, +2 HP per level. Take Tough for an additional +2 hp per level.
>>
>>54161341
>Use the one Planeshift Human if you can, +2 HP per level. Take Tough for an additional +2 hp per level.
The Planeshift humans are just variant humans with preselected feats and explicitly can't take a feat that replicates their racial features.
>>
>>54161246
>>54161341
You can also make an AC whore if you're okay with AC unkillable rather than mound of health unkillable. You can refluff most misses as being hits that you just shrug off, anyways. A good race for this (if you don't want to wear actual armor) is a Lizardfolk with high dex.
>>
>>54161246
Bear Barbarian is a big pile of HP that gets Resistance to all damage (except Psychic) while in Rage.

DEX Barbarian on top of that gets the best non-magical AC.

However, both of these options have a vulnerability hole in their Wisdom saves. Can patch it up a little bit by being a Half Elf and taking Resilient (Wisdom).

That said, DEX Barbarian loses heavily in the damage department - it's not worth it. Better to just use a shield.

STR Barbarogue (Barb 3 or 5, 3 is all that's needed to be tough while 5 gives extra attack) does well with a shield since its damage starts scaling up using the Rogue's Sneak Attack. Uncanny Dodge and Evasion help survivability, making up for the loss of HP, and at 15th naturally get proficiency in Wisdom saves, though it comes rather late for the multiclass even if it saves a feat.

Multiclassing also misses out on Persistent Range at 15th, which makes Barbarian tough all day long rather than during combat.

All that said, though, Paladin is by far the most solid mix of survivability and killiness, having an extra pool of HP equal to 5xlevel, CHA boost to all saves, and beefy d10 HP by default with Heavy Armor proficiency. Ancients gets resistance to all magic damage at 7th, while Devotion gets immunity to charm.
>>
File: The pugilist.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The pugilist.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>54161246
Don't know if they allow 3rd party stuff but this set might be pretty good. Basicly Strength monk that completely disregards Dex in favor of Con.

Flavor wise it takes the best of Monk and Barbarian: Not just blind rage but still focuses on taking hits. Like how >>54161392
Says, you can fluff hits that are supposed to miss as just things that hit but don't faze you.
>>
>>54161246
>>54161415
Seconded this. Throw in 3 levels in barbarian for totem if you want. It's not necessary but it helps.
>>
File: Scrap Like a Sleuth.png (599KB, 594x652px) Image search: [Google]
Scrap Like a Sleuth.png
599KB, 594x652px
Rate these pseudo stunning strike options for one of >>54161415 class' subclass.
>>
>>54161412
>Multiclassing also misses out on Persistent Rage at 15th, which makes Barbarian tough all day long rather than during combat.

To my understanding, your rage still only lasts a minute, but you don't have to hit something to maintain it. It just automatically maintains.
>>
>>54161637
You'd be correct.
>>
Hey if they did oriental adventures again what races would you like WoC to introduce as player options?
>>
File: Dwarves.jpg (4MB, 4457x5700px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarves.jpg
4MB, 4457x5700px
>>54157787
>No title

Fuck me took me ages to find this thread cunt.

>Dinosaurs

Do you let your players polymorph into Dinosaurs if they've never seen one or heard of one?

Since dinosaurs died out millions of years ago
>>
>>54161879
DnD dinos aren't real dinosaurs.
>>
File: 1387713305322 (1).png (124KB, 373x344px) Image search: [Google]
1387713305322 (1).png
124KB, 373x344px
>>54161976
Its fantasy roleplay senpai.

Nothing is real.
>>
>>54161991
No, I mean the "dinosaurs" depicted in the MM are only cursorily similar to the actual namesake creatures that inhabited Earth millions of years ago.

They are as fantastical as owlbears.
>>
I'm considering statting up a bunch of different Modrons, could use suggestions as right now all I have is some Monodrones.
Basic Monodrone- has a light crossbow and shortsword
Monodrone Bulwark- has no fly speed, instead has 4 arms each with a shield. Creates Full Cover for allies, and several together can form a wall
Monodrone Brawler- No fly speed, instead more AC, HP, and damage. these are usually used for heavier labor than normal Monodrones, however in armies they make decent expendable shock troops. Usually have a shield and battleaxe. Rather than wings or extra arms they have one pair of beefier arms.
Monodrone Archer- Heavy Crossbow-wielding Monodrones, groups of which can be ordered to volley fire specific areas. If 3 or more Archers are within 5 feet of each other they can all use their action to fire a DEX-save volley into a 10ft square.
>>
File: 8xrskoz.jpg (289KB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
8xrskoz.jpg
289KB, 1920x800px
>>54158440

Ever seen captain harlock on netflix? Have what happens to earth happen to the world they're on, at least what's below the uncorrupted parts.
>>
>party wants to talk to a witch to get some info on the big bad
>kill her and destroy her house instead
I fucking hate my party
>>
>>54162036
What happened to earth?
>>
>>54162129
Sounds about right. Can't trust anything Witches say, so it's best to just kill them and destroy their homes.
>>
File: 1489027483529.jpg (519KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1489027483529.jpg
519KB, 1600x900px
>>54162036
I thought that was a giant skelle bursting from the planet.
>>
What class fits a lightly armored swashbuckler type character? Rogue? Finesse based Fighter?
>>
>>54162309
the Swashbuckler Rogue.
>>
>>54161879
My players/group have always limited themselves to reasonable things, regardless of class. Sure, sometimes you try something odd, and it may or may not work, but we try to keep it reasonable for the characters to attempt.
>>
>>54162318
Oh shit that's a thing?
>>
>>54162352
Yep.
>>
>>54162352
https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Rogue,Swashbuckler

It may be weird to use at first, but the 5etools has literally everything you need other then some of the more highly specific rules. So you can quickly see every class, race, feat, spell, archetype and etc.

I'd recommend using it.
>>
File: Magus Spells 1.png (1MB, 1381x727px) Image search: [Google]
Magus Spells 1.png
1MB, 1381x727px
>>54159418
To this day these spells are always questionable in terms of balance to me.
>>
>>54162150

"Dark matter" contamination that essentially made the earth uninhabitable.
>>
>>54162393
>Aspir fucks around with resource draining
Is fucking dumb
>Give Life lets your ignore Short Rests even more
Is really fucking dumb
>Drain scales 2d4
I mean, it's not that bad I guess but why not just have it 2d8 base and scales 1d8 so it's not sticking out like a sore thumb?
>Death Shroud
Alright, so I first read this as a first level spell and was wondering why it wasn't a bonus action. As a cantrip that's dumb as shit.
>Subclass specific spells
Good to know the maker has fun jacking off his homebrew.

I mean these are some decent ideas for spells, but they way they're made gives me 0 faith in the creators skill at designing for 5e. So I'm even more sure I don't ever want to look at the Magus.

Also anyone ever notice Gish lovers are nearly always the worst kind of people? I think I've known one person who mostly played them and wasn't annoying.
>>
File: Magus Spells 2.png (840KB, 1188x675px) Image search: [Google]
Magus Spells 2.png
840KB, 1188x675px
>>54162393
These too.
>>
>>54162186

Which would also be really cool as an explanation for why people wouldn't go to the surface.
>>
>>54161254
Nope!
>>
File: 1356515887803.gif (469KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
1356515887803.gif
469KB, 500x307px
>>54159418
>Homebrew
>>
>>54162445
>Aspir
Agreed
>Give Life
Debatable, I think this one can kind of work in some games, but it might be really strong in others.
>Drain life
Why does it do so much damage? I feel like this outclasses vampiric touch and false life easily. Also agreed the scaling is weird.
>Death Shroud
Yeah, a bonus action for an extra 2-8d4 point of damage seems kinda strong don't you think? I do think this spell can be used for some intimidation tactics though.
>>
Does anyone have Path of the Enraged Wizard?
>>
>School of Technomancy

Who thought this was a good idea?
>>
Does anyone got a link for the Kobold Guide to Plots & Campaigns, from Kobold Press?
It's not on the Trove as it's not directly related to 5e.
>>
>>54162543
People who like 5e Modern games. Yes they actually exist and are better then you think.
>>
>>54159092
>see also
>Stroke of Luck is not Portent
>>54159133
PHB Ranger has a worse capstone. Inarguable.
>>
>>54160138
To be fair, for Rangers, Hand Crossbow doesn't get better than Longbow or Heavy Crossbow until after they have maxed their DEX.
>>
>>54160138
>Level 20 Sharpshooter meme build with Heavy Crossbow that kills Tiamat in 3 rounds
>Hunter's AoE of death + Horde Breaker only needs to make about 5 Attacks before getting better then the bonus attack
>Bow Kensai

I mean sure Handcrossbow is nearly always the best like 99% of the time, but not always.
>>
>>54162737
>Sharpshooter Meme build
Does this have something to do with the Sharpshooter Subclass? If so I have never heard of it, how does it work?
>>
>>54162481
>Oh no bignore daddy WotC didn't say it was kosher!
>>
I'm 5 sessions into my first tabletop campaign right now, so I need a little bit of help. My character is a 4th level arcane trickster and I'm planning on multi-classing when I level up. My party is 2 rogues and a barbarian, so we need support. I was planning on going paladin, but I'd like some other opinions. What should I do?
>>
File: 6c2576e3bc81bc621c99980232d5c689.jpg (338KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
6c2576e3bc81bc621c99980232d5c689.jpg
338KB, 1920x1080px
What are some good ideas for a castlevania style adventure? I was thinking about werewolves, flesh-golems, vampires, and hags, not to mention all the zombies, giant spiders, ghouls, and skeletons. I feel like I have all the numbers, but none of the actual formula.
>>
>>54162775
Curse of Strahd
>>
>>54162481
So what? Some people really like it. It's a good alternative for Eldritch Knights.

Also this >>54161415 class this really fun.
>>
>>54162761
Let's put it this way, at level 20 you can Action Surge twice, and Sharpshooter Mode 3 times.

I forget the exact specifics but it does something retarded with it's abilities and Magic Initiate for Hex to make like 10 attacks the first round, 8 attacks the next and then 4 attacks in the third. Get someone to cast Haste, Foresight, Enlarge, Elemental Weapon or something as well to make those 22 attacks retardedly strong.

Each attack doing 1d10+1d6(Hex)+27+Magic Item+any Buffs you can get. So that's like 799 damage without any magic weapons or spells other then Hex involved.

I forget the specifics but I guess an Aasmiar would also be a good choice for another +60 damage.

But yeah high level Sharpshooters completely murder most encounters in 1 round because they burst so damn hard.
>>
What can you do with the random stuff in packs with no use? Any mechanical use or am I better off selling them?

Dungeoneer's Pack:
>Hammer (useless mechanically)
>10 Pitons

Explorer's Pack
>Bedroll
>Mess Kit

these seemingly have no mechanical use. is it just for flavor?
>>
>>54162834
Pitons can be used for climbing, but it ends up being useless as somehow we trust a tree, a barbarian, or even a rock to hold everyone.

Bedroll works if your DM is an asshole and thinks sleeping outside without exhaustion needs it.
>>
>>54162834
>Hammer
You never know when you need one.
>10 Pitons
Animate Object? Climb stuff?
>Bedroll
Sleeping on the dirt vs sleeping in a bedroll. Some DMs make your character feel worse if they don't sleep so well.
>Mess Kit
Maybe someone makes food for you and you want to take it out for later.
>>
File: 1328241487047.png (360KB, 538x477px) Image search: [Google]
1328241487047.png
360KB, 538x477px
>>54162769
Autism speaks.
>>
>>54162761
No you dingus, the Sharpshooter feat. The one that gives +10 damage to your attacks.
>>
>>54162769
Just stop dude, you're embarrassing yourself
>>
>>54162939
Guy he was responding to, it was the subclass. Maybe read the replies before replying yourself huh?
>>
Starting a new lvl 8 character - Aarakocra Druid focusing on high dex and high wisdom

Y/N ?
>>
What are some unusual humanoid races for an aspiring hero to potentially fall in love with?
>>
>>54163002
Monks are fun too, but druid is a good call as well.
>>
>>54163013
>Macho as fuck Dwarven chick
>Tabaxi who robbed him once but he thought she was breath taking
>Triton, The little mermaid style
>Firbolg Druid that nursed him to health after serious injury
>Halfling woman who worked at the bakery he loved

I dunno, off the top of my head those are the unusual ones you never really see Knights fall in love with. Elves, Orcs and Tieflings are all pretty common stereotypes.
>>
to what extent can I play with the Basic Rules and to what extend to I need to buy the PHB and DMHB?
>>
>>54163013
I want to FUCK that goblin
>>
>>54163070
You can play d&d with basic rules. PHB and others are just additional content to enrich your games.
>>
>>54163002
>>54163030
I plan for the character to be skilled with a hand crossbow so he can fight from the air with ranged attacks, as well as slinging spells from the air. If I can get a whip I can use its long reach to swoop in and lash at foes then fly away.

Though, most of my DM's favourite places for us to explore are caves and dungeons so I won't always be able to fight, so my character should have some options for in close fighting, either with finesse weapons or being able to wild shape into various animals.

I hope to aim the character as a true "beast" master, with a high sense of nature and elements.
>>
>>54163070
pdf's of the books in the mega trove buddy. All the books you need but sooner or later buying the PHB or DMG for a paper copy is a good idea if you enjoy it.
>>
Where can I watch all of Harmonquest online for free?
>>
Are there any official dogfolk in Forgotten Realms from older editions? Or any present in any other settings?

Honestly I just want to know if I can ever expect an official way to play out my furry fantasies.
>>
File: 1498452083620.png (398KB, 545x545px) Image search: [Google]
1498452083620.png
398KB, 545x545px
>>54162931
>bad wrong fun
>stop liking what I don't like
>others with options flare up my inferiority complex
Etc etc...
>>
>>54162953
Cant understand ya with all that WotC cock in your mouth.
>>
File: PlayerMap.jpg (192KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
PlayerMap.jpg
192KB, 900x600px
A cool dude on roddot sent me this map of Barovia that he used for his players.

I'm trying to reverse search the origin of this masterpiece 'cause resolution is low, pixel count is high, and there must be a HD version somewhere.
I'm failing.
Help.
>>
>>54163166
There are some in the Mystara sub-setting Red Steel/Savage Coast.
>>
So what races can we expect to come out for Chult? From what I can see these are the races that live there we don't have yet and would make sense as PCs.

Wild Dwarves, Yurian, Bullywug (Bit evil but so are Yuan-ti) and Pterafolk. I guess Troglodytes are possible but seem like a bad idea with their whole thing being their stench aura that would hit allies.
>>
>>54163273
>Yurian
If we get Lobstermen I'll never play anything else, ever.
>>
>>54162691
It doesn't even stay better when Swift Quiver gives you two shots every bonus action over hand crossbow's one.
>>
Should redemption paladin go dex of str?

Warrior of Reconciliation only work with bludgeoning weapon which is STR only (unless you can do it with a sling?)
>>
No UA yet?
>>
>>54163512
4th of July
>>
>>54163492
RAW you can't smite with ranged attacks I think, which is fucking dumb.

I really want to play an archery paladin.
>>
>>54163554
Hey paladins have to be mediocre at something.
>>
What would pic related be, 5eg?
>>
File: 1499221041555.jpg (297KB, 1600x1105px) Image search: [Google]
1499221041555.jpg
297KB, 1600x1105px
>>54163581
>>
>>54163581
A ghost
>>
>>54163581
>Literally nothing
>>
>>54163492
>Warrior of Reconciliation
Is a retarded ability that you should only use once per session max, no one wants to play what should we do with prisoner #43. Honestly I'd be happy if they made it a Channel Divinity ability.

Play your character as someone who tries to avoid fights, but once someone else starts he doesn't mind doing what he has to. Use a Rapier and Shield.

When you do want to take someone non-lethally (make sure this isn't common) then just chose to do non-lethal damage.

>>54163554
I agree it's kinda dumb but you can see a justification in both fluff and mechanics.

For fluff the Smite is you channeling the power through yourself, like the weapon hitting your enemy directly connects your power to them and the radiance jumps through it. On an arrow it spends time where it's not making a direct connection so you can't channel radiance through it.

Mechanics wise they really tried to get Paladins in melee and Rangers at range.
>>
>>54163602
> rapier and shield
Wouldn't that give you less AC? Armor of peace already start you at 19 AC.
>>
I wanna FUCK Stella.
>>
>>54163512
Pushed back to next week due to the 4th of July.
>>
>>54163671
My bad, forgot about that.

Honestly your best option then is Dual-Wielding, even without the fighting style it gives you another attack, another Improved Smite trigger and another chance to Smite.

I'd pick up the feat for it and have a Rapier and a Whip because you can chose to make all your normal attacks and bonus action one with the same weapon. So if you need defence 3 Whips and run away, if you need damage then 3 Rapiers and stay there.

For Fighting Style probably take Mariner.
>>
>>54163602
Ranger's features still make melee ranger builds perfectly doable RAW.
Paladin just straight up says "no fuck you" for no good reason. Not having access to the archery style is enough. They should at least throw in a sidebar saying that the melee restriction is really only for fluff reasons, and the DM can allow it if they want.
>>
>>54163694
Well, improved divine smite really is way better than whatever ranger gets at 11.
>>
>>54163591
Sharkbarian?
>>
>>54163694
Paladins can do a Ranged build though, just not as good as melee.

Banishing Smite and Branding Smite both work. Subclass specific spells like Ensnaring Strike and Hunter's Mark work with it.

You're still capable of using a Handcrossbow Sharpshooter build for 3d6+30+(3xDEX) damage that's competitive with most damage dealers. Even a Longbow for 2d8+20+10 is decent enough damage to not make you a dead weight.

On top of this you get all your defence and offensive spells still working fine.

Is this the best build? No. Of course a melee build does better. It's still perfectly viable though and when you do need to Smite something hard you can always pull out dagger and shank smite them.
>>
>>54163690
I don't think "same weapon" thing work brah.

> When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you’re holding in one hand, you can use a Bonus Action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you’re holding in the other hand.

> a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand

> different.
> other hand.
>>
>>54157900
Depending on the importance of the NPC I put in different effort. The BBEG gets phrases, terms, a voice and maybe even some extra flair, like a little speech, but none of the speech is written down, that's just asking for fuck ups. An important NPC gets a voice, maybe some flair, and the innkeeper is the same almost everywhere.

I get kinda autistic when it comes to the BBEG. I spend hours, while driving or such mindless activity, rehearsing the voice, think of cool replies to stupid hero speeches, preparing for the dump shit the PC will say, and just reinforcing the ideals and conviction of bad guy.
>>
>>54163839
bbeg ugh
>>
>>54163783
Huh, could've sworn I'd seen it on Sage Advice but you appear to be right.

I guess you can always drop two Whips and pull out two Rapiers once you have the feat though. Which is less cool, but same level of effectiveness.
>>
what do you use to make good looking battlemaps on roll20? I need to make some elevation and varied terrain (river + road + forest + plains)
>>
For a Dwarf forge cleric to serve as tank/utility would
>16/11/20/14/18/10
Or
>18/11/18/14/18/10
Work best?
Or another order of 10/11/14/16/17/18 roll?
inB4 >rolling dice in D&D
>>
File: 1470479499385.jpg (4KB, 108x124px) Image search: [Google]
1470479499385.jpg
4KB, 108x124px
>>54163895

Having ridiculously good base stats like those are why some people are against rolling.
>>
>>54163895
I'd say that con is better than str for you. since con let's you keep up things like shield of faith even if you get hit. And you get more HP in general. Sure, you're hit's won't be as impactful but you can still use spells instead meaning that it's not as important.
>>
>>54163927
It evens out.
Last year my average d 20 roll was 8
>>
>>54163927
>The group I had use to always roll
>One time a character dies and the player rolls up a new one
>three perfect stat rolls
>On a character who was already intended to be a multiclass beforehand.
I don't think I need to explain how op it was to have a wizard/rogue with max dex, int and con. After that any campaign where I'm the DM I only let my players use point buy system.
>>
>>54163958
Theres a reason I'm going mono class with this one.
>>
>>54163952

Having prior bad luck doesn't justify abusing the rolling system to have godly stats. If I was your DM, I wouldn't accept those unless you rolled it in front of me.

>>54163958

Eh, If they were legit rolls that I saw with my own eyes, I'd accept that. Genius savants exist in real life, and the odds of getting 18's in 3 stats are pretty slim. He could just as easily rolled 3's in 3 stats.
>>
>>54164053
>Eh, If they were legit rolls that I saw with my own eyes, I'd accept that.
We were all there and saw the rolls. They were legit and we let him use it. But still, he was a bit to strong.
>>
>>54164053
>He could just as easily rolled 3's in 3 stats.

Not if it's 4d6 drop one.
>>
Is there a magic spell that can analyze enemies so you learn things about them like their AC or HP?
>>
>>54164082

You are technically correct.

>>54164144

Yes, it's called METAGAME
>>
>>54164144
No spells, only class abilities and a mystic discipline.
>>
I'm new to DMing and I*m trying to writing up a scenario and was wondering a thing. How does heavy rain effect combat? Would range get some sort of minus on attacks? Would movement be slowed? I'm going to consider it low visibility during the storm.
>>
What're people's thoughts to this?
>>54163168
>>
>>54164256
A bait thread filled with people taking the bait? On /tg/? Why, I never.
>>
>>54164053
>unless you rolled in front of me.
People do it otherwise?
>>
File: 1265562276265.jpg (30KB, 300x388px) Image search: [Google]
1265562276265.jpg
30KB, 300x388px
>>54163927
t. a person that either plays with the intscore of a giant eagle or gimps himself to have at least a 10 in a completely worthless stat
>>
>>54164053
I did consider re-rolling.
But I know my luck by now, end result would be 15/12/10/10/9/8
>>
>>54164223
Its a game man, do what you want
I'd give a sight penalty, bonuses to stealth, maybe some simple athletics checks for muddy ground and maybe a -2 to ranged checks
>>
File: knight.jpg (416KB, 750x1071px) Image search: [Google]
knight.jpg
416KB, 750x1071px
What's the most optimal meme build for a melee STR character? Paladin/fighter? Paladin/barb/fighter? How many levels in each?
>>
Have a rogue, warlock, wizard and paladin.
Anything I should play or am I good playing anything?
>>
>>54164899

Any Wis base class would round the party out really, particularly a Cleric would be ideal.
>>
For a 4/5 man party of lvl 3 and 2, (3 lvl 3 and 1-2 lvl 2) would a Lone CR 5 monster be an appropiate boss- encounter? They'd have had 2-3 encounters beforehand
>>
>>54164843
Paladin with PAM.
>>
>>54164899
>am I good playing anything?
Yes
>>
>>54164920
Any levels in fighter class for extra attack/action surge?
>>
>>54164928
I think paladin/sorc is the most memed combination.
>>
>>54164843
Oathbreaker 8 / Fighter 12 (EK or BM)
>>
>>54164843
Paladin. Maybe some Paladin X/Hexblade 1.

There's not really any retarded meme builds from multiclassing in this edition for martials, they all come from weapon feats.
>>
>>54164962
>they all come from weapon feats.
Feats were a mistake
>>
>>54160767
Yep.
Since you are going to be subpar in most of the combat unless you whine enough for the DM to let you have your horse in, in which the game become not fun for everyone else due to the previous whining and your blatant powergaming changing the battlefield itself.

If you want a horse, just get a horse. It just won't come into play in most of the combat, especially indoor and underground, which you simply have to accept and move on.
>>
>>54164962
We have a paladin in our party going for oathbreaker 9/hexplade 11 for maximum edge.
At least he uses a GS and not a polearm.
>>
>>54164970
Feats as they are? Yes a huge fucking mistake.

The idea's not terrible but they should've been much weaker, and they shouldn't have competed with ASI's.

>>54164986
That's... Yeah at least he's using a GS is all I can say. If it was a PAM Oathbreaker/Heblade it would've been too much.

>>54160767
Just remember that the Horse won't always be there. I'd recommend being a Sword and Board Duelist so you don't have to have any weapon feats urgently. When you're outside and mounted you'll probably be an unstoppable force of Lance attacks, inside you'll be a normal Sword and Board.
>>
>>54164918
>different level pcs
kys
>>
>>54159013
Depends on what your second best stat is.

If Wisdom then : Perception, Medicine, Survival or Insight.

If Inteligence : Arcana, Investigation or Nature.

Or if you are a Thief then grab Athletics and Sleight of Hand.
>>
>>54165072
>medicine
lol
>nature
lol
>>
>Only character art you can find that looks like how you envision your character has him shirtless

Is it weird to come to the table with pic related as your character art for a Scimitar wielding Druid? Also I fucking hate the game but Pathfinder's good to steal art from.
>>
>>54165418
Looks like a JRPG rival character/mid boss.
>>
>>54165459
It's apparently a Pathfinder dude who's that class one guy keeps shilling his homebrew of. The gish one.

It's so fucking hard to find decent art that looks like it could even nearly be Half-Drow though. Light hair and grayish skin isn't common apparently.
>>
I really hope the hexblade makes it into the guide to everything.
>>
>>54165521
Same
>>
>>54165521
I really hope they make it a not-shit design that was exactly what was not called for, 'Let's give warlock medium armour and shields that'll totally make them a bladelock and let's give them a damage curse that somehow works more effectively with eldritch blast. Yeah! Now they'll definitely stop eldritch blasting.'
>>
Anybody have some music suggestions that would fit a battle with a very large arachnid?

Players are fighting a broodmother or arachnid queen of sorts and I like to play fitting music.
>>
>>54165612
Here you go anon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWsQaePcIeQ
>>
>>54165598
Yeah. It's good as is. For eldritch blast. If it's supposed to encourage pact of the blade, it needs several changes.
>>
>>54165612
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJsNB2zDGiA
>>
Noob Question:
How does recovering after dropping to zero hit points work? Last session ended with a boss fight where one player got downed and the other two managed to finish off the boss while he was at -2HP and then managed to stabilize him using ripped up clothes.
Will he just recover back to full after a Long Rest?
>>
>>54165700
I wouldn't say it's too great.

They're just trying to make warlock more like paladin so it's good, but that doesn't make it good beyond 'I want to play a warlock that's in melee'. It's like pugilist, it allows you to do a concept ('I wanna fight with my fists but not be a monk'), but mechanically you could just play a barbarogue.

A melee warlock should be more distinctive and perhaps have more access to having fun with invocations than all the many invocation taxes they're building up. And it should also not be still overshadowed by eldritch blast.

Personally I think the best way to go about it wouldn't be to start stacking AC on them unless they hunt for it, but make them more of a low-armour melee combatant, more like a rogue.
>>
>>54165763
1d4 hours they regain a hitpoint.

Or if anyone heals them they'll just pop right back up.

The death saves system is bullshit with healing as you can just endlessly heal them every time they go down as long as they aren't outright killed.
>>
>>54165763
You can not be at -2HP. If you drop below 0 but not below your HP Maximum in negatives, you are just at 0 HP.

He'll be back to normal after a long rest.
>>
>>54165418
See if someone on the drawthread wants to cover him up for you
>>
>>54165789
>death saves system is bullshit with healing as you can just endlessly heal them every time they go down as long as they aren't outright killed

this is pretty much the reason I run most of my encounters at hard and deadly at least by the books CR standards
>>
What's a fun class to play for a game that wont go above 10?
>>
What exactly is the issue with the warlock?
>>
>>54165800
If you want to threaten characters fairly, not just 'maybe an enemy will murder you when you go down if I get pissed at your healing abuse' then use some other system like vitality or the max HP one.
>>
>>54165818
Cleric
Moon druid
Bard
Wizard
Barbarian
>>
>>54165818
Paladin, you'll hit very hard.

Really any class, most games dont go beyond 10 anyway.

>>54165824
Nah, if the enemy is intelligent and they notice healing going on, they'll finish off their opponents when they go down.

It is completely fair.
>>
>>54165820
People here dont take short rest in their games
>>
>>54165820
Fightersorlock Sorlock is a much better EBer than it.
It has a melee option - pact of the blade - which is actually worse than pact of the tome without the UA.
Power creep. New warlock patrons in UA are more powerful than the old ones quite often. Celestial warlock can get a player up from 0 as a bonus action every turn and still cast a main spell.

Short rest / long rest etcc balancing is varied so much between games that games that don't run as seriously may only get one short rest and the other spellcasters have so much more spellcasting.

Invocation taxes like agonizing blast. Also repelling blast is underrated in importance.

Also, people don't expect it to play like a ranged fighter with some spelcasting and disappoint themselves when they're not a 'true' spellcaster.

>>54165854
It hardly is. Who wants their character to die because of an arbitrary decision the DM made, 'Oh, t his monster is intelligent enough tour bullshit' and then have hardly anything they can do to stop it because they're unconscious on the ground? The problem is death saves makes players too comfortable with hitting 0 and then you come along and say 'actually I guess you could die while you're down there'.

If you use some other system, the players don't have to beg the healers for heals and can try to defend themself before they die, play dead or do whatever the heck. And if they die it's due to their recklessness, not some weird mind games with healers and monsters.
>>
>>54165820
It is the sub-optimal option for many character concepts. You'll often here "why do X when Y does it so much better." While usually true, the difference is rarely big enough to make the warlock unplayable.

The biggest problem is that they work best in a game with multiple short rests between long rests and a lot of GMs and groups don't do that.
>>
>>54165884
But why would a monster knock out an opponent and not finish them off if they were trying to kill them?

Sounds like a retarded monster to me.

I'm not really defending death saves as a mechanic here, and I definitely think it is far too easy to stay alive in 5e, but for fucks sake make your monsters WANT to kill your players and not stop when they knock em out.
>>
>>54165913
But the problem is that barrier between life and death.

There's very little to stop a monster outright killing a player if it decides to. The only thing that stops them is their decisionmaking.

It's more fun if your character isn't taken completely out of the battle and can't do anything but can at least either fight to a heroic death or defend themself, but instead you just get 'Sit and pray the DM doesn't decide it's time for you to die'.

The only way I can see it being fair in 5e is making it clear that every monster has a high chance of attacking you until you die, but often the 'attack the downed player' seems like some metagame 'I know you're not dead yet and might come up again' bullshit and all this does is make healing even more important than it already is. Games shouldn't feel like they require a healer to function.
>>
>>54165974
>there's very little to stop a monster outright killing a player if it decides to

I do not see the problem with this.

>The only way I can see it being fair in 5e is making it clear that every monster has a high chance of attacking you until you die

How do you run your games, though? When I run my monsters, they are trying to survive, kill the players, capture them, etc. They have their goals and will achieve them by the means they deem necessary. Lots of creatures have multiattack and can put a player down and attack them again on that same turn. That isn't metagamey "lmao ur down no heals for u time to die", its the creature finishing off the player.

Of course the game becomes a lot harder to die in with a bunch of heals. That is sort of the point of them. I've been in party's with only a single PC who can give heals and games where we've had full parties of potentials heals. It is hard to die in this game regardless if your DM is pulling punches.
>>
>>54163166
>furry fantasies
Not even God can help you
>>
>>54165913
Because d&d has been making it harder and harder to die each edition, and now players bitch and leave if monsters actually act smart, or at least like hunting animals do now. You won't see lions trying to hunt the strongest, fastest prey first. They take the weak and are content with that

I had a pack of giant bugs hunt the party. A wizard went down, and the bugs near the body stopped what they were doing to drag the body off to devour it. Wizard called me a cheater and walked out while I was giving the other players ample time to go and save him. Bugs on the others were disengaging and going back to their hive, and the bugs dragging him off were slower because of the body they were dragging
>>
>>54166034
>and walked out
We have a player who cannot handle any kind of minor setbacks, criticism, getting hit, not dealing the most damage or even jokes involving him in any way.
It's a fucking pain to tiptoe around one player's fragile ego.
>>
>>54166022
>I do not see the problem with this.
You give the player no option to defend themself beyond the 'you hit 0 HP' mark.
Sure, they could try to defend themself before that, but usually why bother? Your best bet at eradicating monsters is to kill them first, and players are something of glass cannons anyway.

>How do you run your games, though? When I run my monsters, they are trying to survive, kill the players, capture them, etc. They have their goals and will achieve them by the means they deem necessary. Lots of creatures have multiattack and can put a player down and attack them again on that same turn. That isn't metagamey "lmao ur down no heals for u time to die", its the creature finishing off the player.
I'm running on the max HP variant, and I've already had a case where a player would have died far, far too early to a stray crit with a high roll where if they had fallen unconscious they would surely have died if I didn't bullshit something and conveniently set them down somewhere safe.
That's more a problem with players being glass cannons, though.
Some time in the past when I ran on death saves there was someone who took great shock at the idea the monster might attack downed players. And what could they do to stop it? Heal, that's literally it unless they have some big boss-stopping power or can sufficiently distract it.

The metagaming power is knowing whether the target is now dead or unconscious, unless you go for heads rolling.
>>
>>54166022
>>54166141
(Cont)
>Of course the game becomes a lot harder to die in with a bunch of heals. That is sort of the point of them.
But this is dramatically different.
Sure, heals keep you going for longer, that's the intent, but -
'You cannot play and must remain on the floor doing nothing unless you have a healer'
is just bullshit. This isn't even a level 3 spell like revivify, this is a paladin giving 1 HP of lay-on-hands away.
>>
>>54165913
Cause it's primary target is no longer moving and attacks keep coming in.
>>
So what do you lot think this monday's new UA is going to be?

I hope it's a public apology from Mearls for last month's UA.
>>
Would it be be OP or meh if casters had a "overchanneling" ability where they can try to cast more spells than they have slots for, at the cost of 1 HD of fatigue damage (can only be healed on long rest)/Spell level
>>
>>54166247
Considering this is exactly what we talked about, I'd of course say it's not overpowered providing you're in the right sort of campaign.

It depends on the campaign, really.
It'd be pretty powerful at higher levels if they recast high level spells since often a caster can go without their health and they have plenty of other resources anyway.

Considering the original thought was for a max HP instead of death saves game, it probably works smoother on there but you could probably do it on a normal game too.

I'll be interested to see what others say, though.
>>
>>54166235
Alphabetically its Fighter stuff.
So a... throwing weapon school (that ranger can also get) working much like the Marsuder ranger from 4e where you throw and charge, chop and throw if you fell an enemy in melee etc.
>>
>>54166278
Oh, I didn't follow, just got the idea and had to bounce it off someone.
>>
>>54166315
Well, it was on the discord where I mentioned the idea of blood magic in case a caster uses all their slots but is otherwise in fine condition and starting to get bored.
The two final concepts were 'You gain X levels of exhaustion depending on the spell level' and 'You spend a hitdie (Maybe a number of hitdice equal to spell level?) and take that much damage to max HP to cast'
>>
>>54165612
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPMVyp7LwIo
>>
>>54165612
https://youtu.be/tNEyJoh5nbo
My go-to "kill it with fire and then take a shower in acetone to feel clean" track
>>
>>54166289
They're not going alphabetically anymore, they're just printing whatever.
>>
>>54166235
>>54166289
>>54166624
Didn't they say it would be Mystic v4 for AL?
>>
>>54166624
Well I'd still like a marauder style, though... it would be nice if Rogues and Bardbs would have acess too.
>>
>>54165884
>Celestial warlock can get a player up from 0 as a bonus action every turn and still cast a main spell.
It's gonna be eldritch blast anyway.

>>54165974
Maybe there's a reason that standard encounter design is so easy on players and that deadly encounters are called deadly.

>>54166082
Yeah, those players suck the fun out of any challenge.

>>54166685
There will be eventually, and artificer too, but probably not so soon.
>>
>>54166082
Sounds like you should stop tiptoeing and put the boot in instead.
>>
Tome Of Strahd Custom Spells

>Children of the Night

as an, action create one to four 3-foot-diameter swarms of bats. The more swarms you create, the less powerful each swarm is individually.

Each swarm appears in an unoccupied space you can see within 120 feet of you. The swarm last as long as you concentrate (as if concentrating on a spell), up to 1 minute. Each swarm absorbs dim light in a 30-foot radius.

As a bonus action, you can move each swarm up to 30 feet, but no farther than 120 feet away from you. When a creature other than you comes within 5 feet of a swarm, the swarm discharges necrotic energy at that creature and disappears. That creature must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes necrotic damage based on the number of spheres you created. (4 spheres = 2d4, 3 spheres = 2d6, 2 spheres = 5d4, 1 sphere = 4d12)
>>
>>54166082
We had a girl like that. She once literally, not figuratively, BROKE DOWN IN TEARS and couldn't stop sobbing for an hour when her character was close to 0 hp - not even death, just 0 hp. I fucking hated her - and so did everyone else - but now, after we kicked her out, it's like the switch have flipped.
>She wasn't THAT bad, anon!
>>
>>54166841
>>54166867
I might be the DM but I'm also the new guy in this particular group of friends. Everyone else has known each other far longer than we have been playing and I don't think they would like me kicking their friend out of the game.
>>
I'm doing a setting with a few forgotten realms analogues, and I want to replace the Harpers with some kind of general adventuring group. What else could work? They're such a weird idea that I'm having trouble coming up with a suitable replacement.
>>
>>54166034
>Gosh we're hungry better go look for food
>Oh there's a bunch of adventurers with armour and supplies and everything let's eat them
>They're really hurting us but it's totally worth eating them still
>Look we have a corpse if we drag this back it'll totally not get us murdered by the remaining angry adventurer

I don't know, but a lot of the time I see 'monsters want to attack players to eat' it turns into 'monsters care more about eating than their lives'.
Hunting animals need to pick targets off from a herd. If that herd doesn't seem to run from them and starts kicking the shit out of them, maybe they shouldn't try. If it's a lone target, you have a free meal.

On another more relevant note...
I feel the wizard's frustration there, aside from being a wuss who can't handle shit, is with the system.
Bugs just show up, knock him out and drag him off. It leaves minimal room for him to have a say in the defence of his character, and he has to rely on others. It'd be better to have a system of 'you can choose if you want to fall unconscious'.
Maybe he could've saved himself if he played wizard better, but I don't know the situation, and 'git gud' isn't really the best advice.
>>
>>54164635
That's how it's supposed to be you dingus, rolling for stats doesn't GENERALLY create demigods either. The issue is that there's the possibility of having them at all, or to get some unplayable garbage. Editions actually made with rolling for stats in mind had very minor bonuses and penalties for stats, with the exception of 2e's paladin which required good all-around rolls to even be selected.
>>
File: Path of the Enraged Magician.pdf (693KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Path of the Enraged Magician.pdf
693KB, 1x1px
>>54162517
>Does anyone have Path of the Enraged Wizard?
>>
File: 1481761370829.png (161KB, 398x465px) Image search: [Google]
1481761370829.png
161KB, 398x465px
>>54164635
>Use pointbuy of 30-33 instead of 27
>You no longer have to gimp yourself to get a decent int

Wow, that was hard. Undoing the work wizards did to try to shit up point buy and make everyone roll for stats instead has made me so hungry I might just ask everyone to roll for stats next time.
>>
any good builds for setting self on fire and grappling enemies? thinking drunken master monk from the UA. goliath for the advantage on grapples, tavern brawler at level 4 if DM lets me use improvised weapons as monk weapons.
>>
Is warcaster worth taking on a Paladin/Warlock2?

Should I go sentinel instead?
>>
>>54167256
I think it is.
>>
>>54167256
It's only good for the sake of the matter you can use booming blade with it, but you know your DM isn't going to trigger those reactions anyway and you already have an attack.

If you haven't already taken PAM, I don't know what you're doing, though PAM on a quarterstaff which is the most logical thing to do on a Paladin/Warlock3 lacks a bit of synergy with sentinel because you can't stop them at 10ft.

... So, PAM and get another level of warlock > Sentinel > Warcaster

You don't have to worry much about casting with your hands full.
>>
Anybody gonna talk about the new plane shift?
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/plane-shift_amonkhet.pdf
>>
>>54167256
Paladin/Warlock 3

Shillelagh, PAM, Warcaster

If this isn't what you're doing I don't know why you took Warlock at all.
>>
>>54167413
Planeshifts never, ever had any worthwhile content in it.
>>
>>54167413
>>54167680
Zeal domain is pretty cool
>>
>>54167413
>>54167680

I'm kind of amused at there being a +2 Dex/+2 Wisdom class, but kind of largely agree - Planeshifts haven't really given us any content that has rocked the boat in any fashion. But I suppose it's not meant to be UA or such, just new settings.

Though this one at least gave a good number of Cleric domains (that I'm not going to rate because I've never really checked out Cleric much).
>>
>>54167861
>I've never really checked out Cleric much
You should, it's one of the most fun classes of this edition, especially at low level
>>
>>54167861
Cleric is really fun to play, give it a read
>>
Is there a list of titles, whether royal, appointed, earned, bestowed, or purchased, in Forgotten Realms? Specifically Cormyr, Sembia, and the Dalelands? My players love that stuff.
>>
Would you let an Arcana Cleric use Spell Breaker to damage Undead with healing spells Final Fantasy style?
>>
>>54168091
>>54168011

I've been thinking about it! In my current campaign I've been playing a (wolf totem) Barbarian, and I kind of have this urge to branch him out a bit from just straight Barbarian in order to give myself some more options, and I've got the Wisdom to make it as a Cleric. But I've been debating rerolling as an Conquest Paladin / Tome Warlock.
>>
Would you let an Arcana Cleric use Spell Breaker to damage Undead with healing spells Final Fantasy style?
>>
>>54168353
Wasn't there one in the DM guide? I remember there being one.
>>
>>54168428
>>54168474
It's cool but on higher levels it would be too strong, You'd also have to consider it an attack since you can't resist healing and to mitigate what percentage of the healing actually becomes damage
>use spell breaker, then use mass heal
>bam 700 damage
>>
>>54168474
>>54168428

Ignoring that it's totally up to *your* GM and not us, I don't see how any reading of that implies that you can use it to damage undead. Healing spells no longer damage undead (though you can absolutely home brew that if you want), because its no longer the positive/negative energy thing that previous D&D sessions have used.

Spellbreaker isn't an attack thing. It's a "remove something from the target", and it's likely explicitly ally related so you cannot just debuff enemies. Doubly so since >>54168558 mentioned, you cannot resist healing - it's simply something that happens to you.
>>
I want my OC to be a miner slave that escaped his Yak folk masters, how would that look?
>>
>>54168633
Miner slaves are fine, slave minors are not. Long as you're doing the foremost and not the latter I don't see why anyone would have any issue.

Outside of if Yak-folk don't fit into your GM's specific campaign.

I would be tempted to say

>Background: Outlander (you were born and raised a slave, you have no real connections or social nuances, but you were able to survive the wilderness to reach civilization),

>Criminal (You were able to make contact with smugglers while working the mines, and were able to save up enough to get a route out to freedom)

Basically massively depends on how you want to fluff it, what kind of character you want, yadda yadda
>>
>>54168747
The backstory that I have for now is that, I convinced a Dao to grant me a wish for magical power that helped me escape and in exchange I would release her from her prison.

It would be a dwarf or half-orc stone sorcerer.
>>
Why do all clerics have the ability to destroy undead, even those of gods not under the life or death domains?
>>
File: sacred cow.jpg (81KB, 472x691px) Image search: [Google]
sacred cow.jpg
81KB, 472x691px
>>54168964
>>
>>54168527
The DM's sourcebook to the realms + cyclopedia? Didn't find anything like it in there. The DMG? It does have a lot of titles, but I was wondering if FR had its own unique titles.
>>
>>54169154
I guess I should mention I'm using 2e.
>>
>>54168964
Because the undead is like Donald Trump - you have to have an opinion. Either you like undead, or you hate undead, but in both cases Turn Undead will be useful.

Doylist answer is, cleric was originally an anti-undead class. You should also ask yourself - why clerics wear armor, when in real life, monks and priests are hardly famous for it? Similiar answer.
>>
>>54169429
I'm not sure if that was the best or the worst way to shoehorn Trump into an unrelated post I have seen.
>>
>>54168558
>>54168632
I was basing it off Dispel Magic, I thought Dispel Magic had an effect on animated dead and constructs but I guess it actually doesn't (Technically anyways, Animate Dead is a third level spell and Dispel Magic works on third level spells)
>>
>>54169429
>why clerics wear armor, when in real life, monks and priests are hardly famous for it? Similiar answer.
Not really at all. Clerics wear armor because they're not temple priests, they're clergy militant and crusaders (think knights templar). This has always been the case.
>>
>>54169508
So you can use Spell Breaker and Healing Word to cast dispel Magic with level 1 slots?

Why is Dispel Magic a domain spell at all at that point...
>>
>>54169559
Dispel Magic can take out spells higher level than it. Spell Breaker can't.
>>
>>54169559
It would have to be a level 3 healing spell-
"The level of the spell you end must be equal to or lower than the level of the spell slot you use to cast the healing spell."

In either case RAW it's irrelevant because it says "an ally"
>>
>>54166247
That's an evocation wizard feature.
>>
>>54169884
Also a Mystic feature
>>
Is Tiefling Fiend Warlock overdone?
I wanted to play a Devil's Advocate.
>>
>>54169953
>Is Tiefling Fiend Warlock overdone?
No
>>
File: battlemat.jpg (103KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
battlemat.jpg
103KB, 750x750px
What do you use for grid? We use this and outline terrain with matches, but i was looking for something more elegant. I heard you can use water-based fixes, but it doesn't seem to came off after. Any other ideas? Does someone have an experience with plexiglass, for example?
>>
>>54169528
>they're clergy militant and crusaders (think knights templar)
No, that's paladins.
>>
>>54170010
I have one of those maps anon. At Wal-Mart in the craft section you can find these chalk-pens that come off with water and theyre only like 3 bucks for a pack of 2. I just draw everything on my mat
>>
>>54169953
Everything is overdone. Do what you want, unless your group in particular already does it too much.
Just make sure your character is interesting.

>>54170024
Simply incorrect.
>The cleric class is similar to certain religious orders of knighthood of the Middle Ages: the Teutonic Knights, the Knights Templar, and Hospitalers. These orders combined military and religious training with a code of protection and service. Members were trained as knights and devoted themselves to the service of the church.
-2nd Edition Player's Handbook, p. 48

Paladins, strictly speaking, don't even have to be religious.
>The paladin is a noble and heroic warrior, the symbol of all that is right and true in the world. As such, he has high ideals that he must maintain at all times.
-2nd Edition Player's Handbook, p. 38

Obviously these things have changed, but my original point (clerics have heavy armor because they are knights militant) certainly stands.
>>
>>54170024
Paladins aren't god-based and are more force of will 'leader fighters'.

Clerics are like priests who also want to be knights.

For an unarmoured 'cleric' you can play a favoured soul sorcerer although sorcerers are kinda lackluster.
>>
New thread early since this one doesn't have the title.

>>54170473
>>54170473
>>54170473
>>
>>54167413
I'm not really an MtG guy so I'm approaching this with a "is this useful for my games" mentality....
It's probably my favorite Plane Shift yet.
I like the new race options... The Naga is perfect for a guy who'd rather play a Yuan Ti Malison over a Pureblood, and the ram-men and the jackal-men are sweet too.
I dig the new cleric domains too... Strength is a good domain for gods like Kord.
The bestiary is a bit lackluster, was really hoping for some mummy variants and more monsters from egyptian myth.... But the stuff here is still neat. Definitely going to add the poison bite damage to my hydras from now on.
Speaking of, are the plane shift bestiaries ever going to be added to 5eTools?
>>
>>54170482
I am going to allow this.

>>54170589
That's what I thought. Races that are actually useful + interesting domain is about the best we've gotten so far.
>>
>>54169429
>Because the undead is like Donald Trump
Fuck off
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.