[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A unique question for you /tg/ How much thought do you put into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 3f8d6e74d2d408af.jpg (132KB, 1004x1000px) Image search: [Google]
3f8d6e74d2d408af.jpg
132KB, 1004x1000px
A unique question for you /tg/

How much thought do you put into using names from mythology? The thought came to mind trying to create a character with twin pistols named after Freki and Geri and trying to look deeper into the name the names literally mean "The Ravenous and the Greedy one" and made me re-think the concept I was going for. Have you ever encountered a situation like this?
>>
File: Disdain For Plebs.jpg (26KB, 393x462px) Image search: [Google]
Disdain For Plebs.jpg
26KB, 393x462px
No, I'm not an unoriginal hack.
>>
>>54142938

Often. I find it's much more compelling and interesting to create a setting in which pre-existing figures from mythology and/or history are placed together and to find ways in which they fit most appropriately.

For example, taking Merlin, Galileo, and Thor, then looking into all the history, backstory, and etymology surrounding them to find a cohesive theme. They can become gods, or great heroes, or leaders of nations, but with the right aspects highlighted to bring it all together.

I suppose it comes down to this: do you want to avoid all recognised and familiar figures to try to force originality that doesn't exist, or do you want to try to form a world with a sense of pseudo-reality because of the sources it borrows from?
>>
Those names make sense for pistols, because they are ravenous for death and greedy for souls.
>>
I too struggle with this. I often find myself looking into ancient historical figures and into obscure deities for inspiration. The hardest part is finding ways of hiding the more well known ones. I love Athena, but its difficult to work her in because she is so recognizable. The stigma of coming off as unoriginal is there but so is the stigma of being a hack or pretentious. In our group we have a member who lives pretension, so huge makes any pretension around him more noticeable.
>>
>>54146478
This.
>>
>>54146478

No, you're just a hack.
>>
>>54142938
Tbh Greedy and Ravenous are pretty badass names for twin pistols. Your character should be bandanas enough to go with them though otherwise just give up
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.