[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Considering running some homebrew rules for 40k 8th: >Previously

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Hellhound.png (692KB, 1051x578px) Image search: [Google]
Hellhound.png
692KB, 1051x578px
Considering running some homebrew rules for 40k 8th:

>Previously Large Blasts now fire one shot for each model in the targeted unit in range
>Previously Small Blasts now fire one shot for each TWO models in the targeted unit in range.
>Flamer templates now auto-inflict one hit for each model in the targeted unit in range, or TWO hits if they are benefiting from cover or embarked on an open-topped transport.

Does that seem balanced?
How much would it fuck the meta?
>>
Without a cap its rediculously unbalanced and op.
You gotta give the weapons a maximum amount of models they can hit, though. Otherwise you can counter any blob on the table by taking a single large blast template
>throw 30-40 gaunts on the table
>opponent brings two leman russ's
>oneshots the entire unit turn one, no saves or anything allowed

You get my point. Instead, do it like this:
>large blast: one shot for every model in range, up to ten shots total
>small blast: one shot for every two models in range (rounded down to 1 minimum), up to 5 shots total
>flamers: one hit for every model within range, up to (5-10?) hits; flamer weapons ignore bonuses to cover

One could also balance out the maximum shots on an individual scale for each weapon too.
>>
>>54140397
I prefer just bringing back blasts, with a few stipulations: Place a blast down wherever (not necessarily centered over q model). For each model under the blast, make a single roll to-hit against that models unit.

If your foe goes "muh spacing", your foe might be a little bit of a dick. Maybe consider making squad coherency 1" if it becomes an issue (iirc, AOS has 1" coherency).
>>
>>54141046
Personally, I'd make it a function of base size and unit size.
>>
>>54141046
And make em multiwound? Don't think that would be a bad idea
>>
>>54140950
I like that, but would want the numbers to be higher.
The intention was that big blasts wouldn't have autohits so IG tanks would still miss half of the shots. That means 5 dead gaunts from a squad of 30 gaunts which is definitely better than "1d6" but still feels kinda light.
>>
>>54141699
The numbers I gave were honestly just arbitrary gap fillers, and I always estimate things from the perspective of a SM, so having a BS of 3+.
or example, with a vindicator, this amounts to about 7 or so dead gaunts, roughly the same number of spread out gaunts you'd kill in 7th edition with the same tank.

As I said, if you are houseruling this with a bunch of friends, I'd recommend trying to balance it for the different weapons individually, (eg vindicator 10 max, leman russ 15 max?).
On the other hand, you could just put templates back in the game and play the rest just like with 8th. The problem with templates in 8th is that they are too dependant upon ballistic skill, wheras in 7th you had to consider unit positioning (a 7 inch scatter is fine if you placed the marker in the middle of a 50 man platoon), one third of the time it didnt matter anyway (direct hit), and even when it did make a difference it scaled in a more balanced way than it does now (at least imho)
>>
>>54140397
This just makes the Heavy 20 guns even more pointless at hordekilling, since you've made pieplates Heavy 30 with better stats and missiles Heavy 15.
I'd say the general rules aren't THAT bad - what needs to happen is an additional shot or two based on template size (not die roll, just dX+1 or dX+2, etc) and more common bonuses for hitting very large units - and have said bonuses scale instead of just being Ten Or More.
They don't need to automatically melt troops, just be less fucking random and have more of a benefit against big hordes.
>>
>>54140397
>>Previously Large Blasts now fire one shot for each model in the targeted unit in range
>>Previously Small Blasts now fire one shot for each TWO models in the targeted unit in range.

Jesus christ do you have any idea how insane some of these weapons would be? They're not even remotely costed with that kind of potential in mind, you would have hideously underpointed template weapons.

Don't even get me started on that flamer change, this shit aint close to balanced, just stay with the d6 mechanic if this was your best.
>>
>>54140397
Everytime GW does something dumb and I think "christ the community could write a better ruleset than this", people like you come along with this unbelievably shit homebrew and change my mind again and I realize "well shit maybe the GW studio isn't that bad".

Just fucking stop. You don't think things through enough to ever be good at game design.
>>
>>54145494
This. My group has made it so that for each full 10 models in the unit, you get an extra dice of hits. HWTs and Swarms count as being as models as the number of wounds remaining for this. It's the laziest way to do it, but it works, mostly. d3 shots vs 30 boy mobs rolling 4d3 is pretty alright.
>>
>>54140397
Fuck off retard
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.