[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would Neverwinter on Xbox One be a good alternative if you don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Neverwinter.png (421KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
Neverwinter.png
421KB, 620x350px
Would Neverwinter on Xbox One be a good alternative if you don't have a group to play proper tabletop RPGs with? Assuming that my schedule is to erratic to commit to an online game on Roll20 or something similar.
>>
It's nothing like a pen and paper RPG, at all. No game can ever really match pen and paper on a tabletop, but Neverwinter isn't even close by video game standards.
>>
>>54127439
Unless you'er just itching to RP, including improvisational sort of sort of stuff with people within the game, not really. It's an MMO first and foremost, it just happens to have a D&D license and be set in the Forgotten Realms.

I understand it has some sort of player mission designer, so you could probably write up some smaller adventures for yourself and others and RP within that framework, but that'd require more time than just playing a game through Roll20 so that's a nonstarter.
>>
>>54127678
Well, that just raises an intriguing question.

Which game, if any, even gets close to it?
>>
>>54127439
Just buy a pc and elder scrolls: oblivion or morrowind
>>
>>54127439
Depends on what you want from the game. I've played Neverwinter and was less than impressed. There is extremely little room for customising your character, multiclassing does not exist, iirc you can't even choose feats. There are a kind of enhancement trees where you can pick special attacks, but it mostly boils down to red damage or green damage.
You're locked into one combat style depending on your class. Want to pick up a shortbow as a rogue? Forget it. The spell lists for casters have been cut down to nearly nothing.
The environment scales with your level, so even though you technically get stronger, you can't go back to a previous quest and smell the flowers if you like. If you have trouble with something at one point, you'll have trouble with it forever. Combat basically consists of "time your dodge, attack, repeat until monster is dead".

That's not to say it's all horrible, though. If you're looking for an MMO that requires only minimal intelligence on part of the player it'll serve you well enough. If you want something closer to a D&D experience I'd look elsewhere.

Personally I like Dungeons&Dragons Online. It's a far older game originally set in Eberron but with FR content as well from when WotC really wanted to push that setting, dating back to 2006, and while it has its flaws and has in some ways moved away from its origins as a multiplayer D&D game for the PC, it is still FAR closer to D&D than Neverwinter is.
Of course you won't be able to play it on the Xbox, so if that's your only option for gaming... sorry?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.