[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New DM here. I'm on my fourth session. How do I keep these

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1495158776538.jpg (42KB, 720x295px) Image search: [Google]
1495158776538.jpg
42KB, 720x295px
New DM here.

I'm on my fourth session. How do I keep these guys from constantly meta-planning ooc every little thing? Also is making a situation to purposely kill a few of them to rid them of the "fuck that we never run" acceptable?

Sharing of wisdom thread?
>>
>>54121080
Could you elaborate on "constantly meta-planning ooc every little thing"? What exactly are they doing?

Have you tried talking to them about it?

With regards to running, depends on the system. Some systems make running from combat functionally impossible, so make damn sure that they CAN get away at all. Then, instead of "lel u run or i kell u" retardation, give them a really hard encounter that'd be much easier if they disengaged and did X before coming back.
>>
>>54121297

They just constantly spout "if we do A, B, or C, then X, Y, Z, and maybe R or K will happen" Then I hit them with the "is that what yall gonna do" and they just start switching those letters around.

As for some fights, I outnumber them fucking 5 to 1 and they manage to either not die or break the enemy. We had someone introduce PF to us and TPKd everyone at the end while laughing so I'm trying to stay away from a TPK.
>>
Speak to them about the issue. If they keep metagaming you either use it against them or leave the group.

Remind them that escaping is an option. If they can flee but die because they decided to keep fighting, it's their fault.
There is a high chance that they will blame you for dying. And even when you explain to them the situation they might complain about not having enough information, the encounter be unbalanced, and so on.
I personally think it is OK to "teach them a lesson" but don't overdo it.
Give them hints about the danger, make npc's warn them about it, let their enemies give them a chance to flee before any conflict starts, if they still charge head on, and never run or surrender, they deserve it.
>>
>>54121489
Are you really complaining about players who think about the consequences of their actions?
>>
>>54121564

But they plan this stuff quick, out loud, while other players are technically not in the area and I feel it affects their decision making and when I force them to "talk" IC they just feel like it's redundant.

I've been trying to suggest notes and stuff, should I just make that a rule? I need to told that this is a fair rule to push on my players.
>>
>>54121703
>But they plan this stuff quick, out loud, while other players are technically not in the area and I feel it affects their decision making and when I force them to "talk" IC they just feel like it's redundant.
Then have them wait outside while the party is split up. Or pull the player whose character is alone out of the room for a minute.
>>
>>54121703

Also, I'm guessing it's natural for the players to talk about everything like it's show afterwards. Should I just assume that it is their characters talking during "autopilot" times? Sometimes a person would drop in/out or miss a session.
>>
>>54121492

So I just gotta bear their angst and slowly guide them to be better players?
>>
>>54121703
I feel ya. I was a player in this situation, and by Mork, holding myself from metagaming was hard
>>
>>54121782
>Also, I'm guessing it's natural for the players to talk about everything like it's show afterwards. Should I just assume that it is their characters talking during "autopilot" times?
Yes.
If it's becoming a pacing issue (i.e. nothing is getting done due to excessive planning) use an egg timer or similar and say they have until it runs out to tell you what they are actually committing to. If they run the timer out, they are automatically surprised by the encounter.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.