[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any fairly light fantasy RPGs that have semi-engaging

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

File: 051.jpg (89KB, 735x1088px) Image search: [Google]
051.jpg
89KB, 735x1088px
Are there any fairly light fantasy RPGs that have semi-engaging combat systems? I need something where there are some actual tactical options and the PCs are capable of handling multiple attackers reasonably well.

>anything OSR

Unless they've radically overhauled the game, I'll pass. OSR fights are only slightly less boring than 3.5 fights, and everybody being "support for the caster" is not to my liking.
>>
File: Strike!combat_example.pdf (611KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Strike!combat_example.pdf
611KB, 1x1px
>>54114074
Strike! uses a massively streamlined system based on 4e for fights.

Could be what you are looking for.
>>
Hyperborean Mice, basically Conan mixed with Secret of NIMH. Combat is simple but getting a critical success over your opponent's defense roll allows you to perform combat maneuvers depending on the weapon you're utilizing. Even before that, you still have several maneuvers you can access.
I'm genuinely surprised not many games have utilized anything similar. The only similar thing I can think of is Dungeon Crawl Classics' Mighty Deed system for warriors.
>>
Feng Shui
>>
>>54115291
Well, I want something that's more oriented around playing figures in a fantasy setting rather than strictly the team oriented set-piece battles (for instance the party members might not be around for a fight and the game wont break down as a result) Strike as I recall is very much like 4e in that it breaks down completely if you aren't using it with combat as an end in and of itself. I just want something a bit more interesting than the typical OSR style, might as well be Shining Force, fights when the fight does break out.

>>54117397
I'll check it out.

>>54117999
That's one of them weird narrativist systems aint it?
>>
>>54119382
Feng Shui is very '90s RPG design, I wouldn't call it narrativist or anything like that. But it owns at doing Hong Kong movie style action, whether it's John Woo blood opera or low-budget martial arts horror.
>>
>>54114074
T H I C C
>>
>>54119382
When you got the party separated, you still have the option of running it as a tactical fight (with the PC missing joining in later if he can or not), if there's a chance of a good fight in there, or just keep using skills, if there's no chance of a good fight.
>>
File: 4ECriticisms.jpg (61KB, 475x356px) Image search: [Google]
4ECriticisms.jpg
61KB, 475x356px
>>54119382
>4e breaks down completely if you aren't using it with combat as an end in and of itself

I honestly don't understand half the things people say about 4e
>>
>>54122119
We've reached the point where 4e is considered so bad by /tg/ that criticism towards it doesn't even need to be true to be accepted. Kind of sad, since it really isn't nearly as awful as most people claim.
>>
>>54114074
d&d 2e
>>
File: 1452098325204.png (209KB, 510x346px) Image search: [Google]
1452098325204.png
209KB, 510x346px
>>54119382
>4e in that it breaks down completely if you aren't using it with combat as an end in and of itself.
>>
>>54114074
Mythras has fun combat, but the options can be slightly overwhelming
>>
>>54122119
>>54122218
>>54122576
>butthurt 4rries with no argument

I bet you're the posters who defended 4e's Skill Challenges and the 'bingo plus rollplay' examples for them in the rulebook.
>>
>>54114074
Scarlet Heroes makes OSR combat a little more fun.
>>
>>54124011
t: butthurt 5e/3.PF grognard with no arguments
>>
Hackmaster
>>
>>54124222
How?
>>
>>54122119
It offers nothing special and the combat falls apart without a complete team; you have to structure the game to ensure challenges are appropriately designed and that everyone is there for it at all times.

Is it really all that controversial to say a game doesn't do well outside of what it was designed for?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.