[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where did the archetype of a guy in a black coat with a hat wielding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

Where did the archetype of a guy in a black coat with a hat wielding a crossbow come from? It's too common to just be a coincidence.
>>
>>54107735
The actual inquisition. Probably.
>>
>>54107827
Hahaha.
HAHAHAHA.
OH WOW.
OH FUCKING WOW.

No.
>>
>>54107735
It looks cool.
>>
>>54107735
Probably the Matrix.
>>
>>54107735
Van Hellsing is my first instinct.

Or Blade.
>>
Maybe cowboy aesthetics shifted back a bit? A guy in a long coat and hat who's all gritty and ready to murder things because of his dark terrible past is pretty common in westerns. Might make sense if witchunters are basically just that IIIIIIN FANTASYYYYYY.

>>54107926
>It looks cool.
This also. Don't underestimate the power of convergent evolution.
>>
>>54107916
He probably meant actual witch finders. And he wasn't wrong.
>>
>>54107827
Like, the spanish inquisition? I wouldn't have expected that.
>>
>>54107735
I'd agree with
>>54108033
about the look. No-one wants to see men in priests robes telling thugs what to do as a main character. Then they need a weapon. Something that can look cool and like a gun without loosing the medieval aspect. So crossbow. It then got crossed with vampires, and the idea, "hey crossbow bolts are like stakes right?"
>>
>>54108064
Nobody does.
>>
>>54107735
Solomon Kane, who's appearance was modeled after actual Puritan witch-finders.
Interestingly, most of those guys were not legal authorities at all and basically were conducting vigilante justice, which had something to do with why Britain got so fucking tired of Puritans that they told them to fuck off to the New World.
>>
>>54108033
I'm not precisely sure that anyone other then Hopkins wore that, but it's probably true that there were more because that particular hat was associated with Puritans even over in the United States.
>>
>>54108033
>when you realize these cucks got to rape and torture "witches" for free unironically and they are now praised as badass thanks to history books.

The more you know.jpg
>>
>>54108323
This is why we now oppress the neckbeard.
>>
>>54108033
>Witch finders are inquisitors xDDdDD!1
>>
File: AX362.jpg (94KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
AX362.jpg
94KB, 640x640px
>>54108999
Settle down, Spergitus Maximus
>>
>>54108323
>putting witch in sarcastiquotes
Anon, they did a great service to Christendom by suppressing the practitioners of the dark arts, and the decline in their activities is directly proportional to the growing influence of pagan and Satanic powers over our world.
>>
>>54107735

It's just going for the cowboy archetype without involving actual guns.
>>
File: AX363.jpg (106KB, 963x1600px) Image search: [Google]
AX363.jpg
106KB, 963x1600px
>>
File: neat_thundercracker_reflector.jpg (90KB, 414x253px) Image search: [Google]
neat_thundercracker_reflector.jpg
90KB, 414x253px
>>54108033
>>
>>54108323
>You will never get to travel from town to town, having your pick of the best qts, torturing, raping and snuffing them and getting rewarded with treasure, prestige and more qts for it.

We were born in the wrong era boys, now i will never fuck a thicc blonde tavern wench's feet while she strangles in the garrote.
>>
>>54107735
wasn't salomon caine hat was like THE guy with hat and black coat fighting evil and stuff ?
>>
>>54108323
I'm not sure anyone considers actual real-life witch finders badass. It's just that they had a snazzy sense of fashion, kinda like the nazis.
>>
My money would be on Solomon Kane. He's not as well known today as some of Robert E Howard's other creations but he was a big deal back in the pulp era and the puritan with a sword and gun look clearly made an impact. Later fantasy artist swapping out the pistol for an anachronistic crossbow because guns and fantasy don't mix
>>
>>54108220
>Solomon Kane
Thank you.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.