[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ADVICE WANTED So I've been away from ttrpgs for around

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 4

File: alien poster.jpg (3MB, 3060x3876px) Image search: [Google]
alien poster.jpg
3MB, 3060x3876px
ADVICE WANTED

So I've been away from ttrpgs for around 3+ years now but have recently been inspired to start a game with some friends. None of them have any ttrpg experience. I have experience as a player in DnD 3.5, 4e, a little bit of Dark Heresy, and a heavily modified version of Call of Cthulhu. I've only ever GM'd 4e, but if we were starting tomorrow I'd feel fairly confident running something in 3.5 or Paranoia.

The game isn't going to start until everyone is back for the semester, so I've got around 3-5 weeks before Session Zero.

The game I want to run is heavily inspired by victorian gothic horror with a splash of lovecraft (for those familiar with M:tG, think Shadows over Innistrad set).

Seeking advice: I could run it in 4e, but since I've got enough time to familiarize myself with another system before we start, is it worth picking up something else instead of using Dungeons and Dragons to introduce them to the world of ttrpgs?
>>
File: rain skeletons.gif (2MB, 500x369px) Image search: [Google]
rain skeletons.gif
2MB, 500x369px
Bumping with skeles of varying spookiness levels until someone responds or I get distracted
>>
File: clickity clack get in my sack.jpg (68KB, 927x380px) Image search: [Google]
clickity clack get in my sack.jpg
68KB, 927x380px
>>
File: sexe skeleton kiss.gif (487KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
sexe skeleton kiss.gif
487KB, 500x368px
>>
>>54088782
Paranoia is great. . . At running Paranoia.

I would not recommend it for any long-term game, with a plot you actually care about though, because Paranoia's mechanics do not scale, do not balance, and are (on purpose) obtuse and obfuscated. Part of playing Paranoia, is not actually knowing what your character can do, or if your gear is actually useful or not.

Second advice. 3-5 weeks is enough time to read a system rules book, but it's not enough to be familiar with the system. You'll still be referencing stuff all the time. Go with what you know. You are running / building the game, so the majority of the "heavy lifting" is going to be on you - so make it easy on yourself. Don't make a game hard on yourself, then you'll kill it for it being a chore, and not being fun. If you are comfortable with 3.5, then roll with that. There is enough support for making custom magic items in 3.5, that you can build your Lovecraftian artifacts and mcguffins.

As for your players -> For the firsttimers, they aren't going to have any opinion on the mechanics. They are going to establish a memory and opinion based on the quality of the story, and whether or not they had fun.

Obviously, have a session zero and talk to them about the theme of the game (Not going to be heroic fantasy, it's going to be dark grim fantasy) so that they're on the same page. They are your friends, not strangers, so you should be able to get them to settle on a shared vision for the game.
Nevertheless, if they go out of theme, let them. (within reason) It's their first game, they want a good story, and they might wanna be big damn heroes.

If you did want another system, GURPs can do this, but it's a lot of crunch to prepare in a span of 3-5 weeks. Call of Cthulhu or Delta Green would be perfect for this too - but I've not played them very much and so am reluctant to recommend them as I'm not too experienced with them.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.