[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I know if the players like the direction that the game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 456345172.png (698KB, 600x640px) Image search: [Google]
456345172.png
698KB, 600x640px
How do I know if the players like the direction that the game is going in?

I feel like they're all too nice/non confrontational to tell me if they didn't.
>>
File: 1485478243688.jpg (357KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1485478243688.jpg
357KB, 1920x1280px
Just fucking ask them, you non-confrontational Millennial betacuck.
>>
>>54079928
Me and my friends use a system that can draw criticisms out of even the biggest pushovers. At the end of each session, we do the "good, bad, and ugly". Each player describes something they liked about the campaign that the GM did as their 'good', then describe something that they did not like- or, at the very least, that they believe the GM can improve on for their 'bad'. The 'ugly' is an award that each player gives to another player for doing something that made the session especially enjoyable.

It not only compels the players to describe something they might not like about the games you run, but it normalizes it by having every player do so, in addition to giving you positive feedback, which tells you what you did that was especially good. Plus, the 'ugly' award encourages people to play in ways that are fun for their companions, as well as themselves.

It's been a rather effective system, and has- among the other forces at play- helped foster the best group of D&D players I've had the pleasure of running with.
>>
>>54079928

I always close each session with three questions: "What worked?", "what didn't work?", "what did we need to know that we didn't?".

I get much better feedback this way because it's specific enough that people feel more comfortable giving it, whereas "so, how was it?" just invites "it was good." Plus, all three questions inform me directly what to work on for next session.
>>
>>54080297

I like this, thanks.

>>54079954

>Hey Anon do you like my game and how I'm running it?

You can answer
>Yeah it's great
or
>I really dislike x, y, and z about your game and I don't think you've been going in a good direction with it. I want to keep coming to your games, because I have an overall decent time, but maybe next session you can try again to make it better.

Now pretend not to be autistic for a moment and pretend it's your girlfriend asking
>Hey Anon do you like the gift I made for you?!

You can answer
>Yeah it's great
or
>I really dislike x, y, and z about your game and I don't think you've been going in a good direction with it. I want to keep getting gifts from you, because I overall like them, but maybe next gift you can try again to make it better.

How do you think she will respond to each of your responses?

Now think that you're a player, you at least semi enjoy the game and, in a hobby full of autismos who rage a lot, at worst you don't want the GM to rage quit. At the very least you don't want to hurt their feelings/lower their confidence to the point where they lose their gusto for the game.

Everyone should accept criticism in practice, but it can still hurt, even when you're prepared for feedback.
>>
>>54080442

Also the spoiler is because a lot of people think that and don't want to be dickbags/disliked.
>>
>>54079954
I think OP meant their question in more of an in-game scenario. I don't know about you, but I think it would be a little jarring to suddenly ask the playeers if they like the game in the middle of an encounter.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.