[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some dark fantasy RPGs out there? I know: >Symbaroum

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: 1466272553295.jpg (74KB, 558x790px) Image search: [Google]
1466272553295.jpg
74KB, 558x790px
What are some dark fantasy RPGs out there?

I know:
>Symbaroum
>Warhammer Fantasy
>Shadow of the Demon Lord
>Shadows of Esteren
>Mage the Dark Ages
>>
>>54061611
Lamentations of the flame princess
>>
File: 1466080719792.png (1MB, 805x1036px) Image search: [Google]
1466080719792.png
1MB, 805x1036px
>>
>>54061611
I'd advise against playing symbaroum
It has great illustrations and the setting is somewhat interesting (if a bit bland on the overall scheme of things) and the rules are a fucking mess
>>
File: 1465866906841.jpg (95KB, 620x800px) Image search: [Google]
1465866906841.jpg
95KB, 620x800px
>>54062142
I heard the rules were pretty easy to min-max, is that the problem?

But yeah, the art is fantastic.
>>
>>54061666
most osr games do that, desu.
Worth looking at Veins of the Earth and A Red And Pleasant Land for good settings.
>>
>>54062276
I have been dminng Symbaroum for a while. Yes, It's pretty easy do min max, but that's not a issue if you use spirits, abomination and monsters that do different kind of damage, That been said, you will have to modify the more common enemies in the core rulebook so they can give the player's a proper challenge

Here are some tips someone posted on official reddit Symbaroum:

Make sure the enemies benefit from Advantage. When enemies gang up on a player character 2:1, the player character suffers -2 to their defence and every attack deals +2 damage. Single target bosses are really squishy in this game, so I would recommend splitting them across multiple bodies or just doubling their HP. I've had my group instantly kill most major enemies from the published adventures in a single turn, and I've also seen my players get torn to ribbons by larger groups of weak enemies.
Also, start going through the lists of abilities and powers and pick the ones that will mess up your players the most. There are a lot of them. If your players are optimised, you shouldn't feel afraid to make the enemies use really mean combos in turn.
Consider the Surgical Archery Strike, where you have a band of bandits/barbarians or elves with Marksman (5 or 6 damage), with a commander that has Leader II (+2 Damage to all attacks against a marked target), and Beast Lore III (+3 Damage to all attacks against Cultural Beings). A group of 5 enemies of that composition would be dishing out 50-55 damage every round against a single target in the group. And the bonus damage also applies in close combat, where they can gang up on targets to get an additional +2 damage per attack that's even more difficult to avoid. With either Marksman III or Two-handed force III, these attacks would ignore armour completely, which should splatter most groups all over the floor.
Does the player Ogre have so much armour that nothing can hurt him? Here's a list of things that ignore armour completely:

>>part 1
>>
>>54062276
>>54062802

>>part 2

Marksman III, Strangler, Two-handed force III, Choking spores, Curse III, Entangling, Vines III, Inherit Wound III, Larvae Boil, Unholy Aura
And take a look at other things like:
Unholy Aura II and a lot of abominations. Use a leader with that an abomination minions. Damage that ignores armor and heals the opponents. ;)
Or double up on the enemies and give them Backstab I. When they got them cornered they get +4 damage and +2 to hit. Boost it to Backstab II and they are going to bleed, fast.
Or give them Corrupted Attack. That really scares my players. And let them all be Abominations.
So to make the most evil setup i can think of, using not that much XP:

Character-Boss: Leader III, Unholy Aura II, Marksmanship III
Character Bodyguard: Bodyguard II. Shield. Iron Fist. High Strenght.
Character-Agitator: Beast Lore. Marksmanship II.
Masses: Backstab I. And use a lot of them. Let them get killed and throw in some more.
And all Corrupted Attack I-III depending on how evil you want to be.

>>end.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.