[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In an attempt to try and continue a discussion from yesterday,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

In an attempt to try and continue a discussion from yesterday,

Imagine that some "Sucked into another world" shit happened, and a modern twenty-something year old guy was whisked away to a generic, tolkien-esque, medieval fantasy world.

What advantages and disadvantages would he have? What would you do? What are some interesting things that would come of this?
>>
>>54057171
If the guy was as well trained, educated, and self-sufficient as Hank Morgan, he'd do as well or better than Hank did. An 'average' guy would probably die in short order.
>>
>>54057311
See, I don't consider myself "above average", nor do I think I'm some great outdoorsman. But I have a highschool level understanding of physics and chemistry, I have a big interest in medieval warfare and historical trivia, and I read a lot of "how-to" articles in Backwoodsman magazines. (Like, I can make a gunpowder substitute out of chicken poop and evaporated urine.)

Do you think your average fa/tg/uy might last longer than someone else?
>>
>>54057171
The literal first thing they will do is get sick and shit their guts out. We tend to gloss over those memories, but most of us are pretty liable to get sick when we go on holiday. That shit would happen ten times over after a trip into the past/to another world.

If you speak a language they locals can understand, and you don't die from illness, your best bet is to get into the good graces with who-ever is leading this place, and be careful to not contradict their weird idiosyncracies. Then maybe start showing them some minor knowledge to wow the yokels, so they'll keep you around, well fed, and generally unstabbed. The best bet for any one of us would be to pass ourselves off as some kind of scholar.

Honestly, the miracle of flight alone should keep them entertained for a few years.
>>
>>54057641
Absolutely not. Someone who has knowledge that could be used, like smelting processes, how to make gunpowder or electricity, or other things like that, would do way better than even an 'above average' computer scientist because their skillset has no application in a medieval level of technology.
>>
>>54057641
No, I think we vastly overestimate our own capabilities and underestimate how complex the skillsets needed to thrive in a medieval society would be.

Most relevent skills for the era are only practiced as hobbies, if at all, and for every hour we spent learning how to live in a modern society, our medieval counterparts have dedicated to their own skillsets, which are far, far more relevent.

Unless the blackpowder you could create from chicken dung and urine was of high quality, weaponisable levels, it wouldn't be much more than a curiosity. Even with functional blackpowder, you'd still need to find a smith capable of producing a reliable, uniform gun barrel, something most medieval smiths just wouldn't be capable of. The first guns were made by bell manufacturers and exploded with depressing regularity.

I think 99.9% of 'sucked into another world' scenarios would realistically end in the victim either dying or living a short, hard life confined to main manual labour roles, unless given extensive time to prepare or being lucky enough to have an unusually broad but also detailed and crucially, detailed, knowledge of a particular subject, like practicing modern medicine in a medieval environment, manufacturing antibiotics reliably with zero lab equipment for example.
>>
I know how to brew MUCH stronger alcohol than anything they can manage.

I get to work.
>>
File: rance.jpg (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
rance.jpg
29KB, 300x300px
>>54057171
First I'd learn how to fight.

Then I'd go on a quest to fuck all the princesses of the world.
>>
>>54057641

Not really. Your average person will get sick, get stabbed and bleed out in a gutter, or starve.

If you tried to do all that stuff, you'd get burned as a witch.
>>
>>54057777
Yeah, I didn't even take the whole disease thing into account. (And that's a major aspect of it.)

Every facet of this scenario requires a leap of logic and another supernatural element. From resistance to disease, to the social aspect.

I was doing this solo-play thing with a "self-insert" as the main protagonist, just running through some adventures. But every single aspect has had me wondering "How would that really work".

It basically takes the farthest stretches of the imagination, and in the end it can only be some "Saturday morning cartoon" level shit.

Come to think of it, isn't that the plot of Stranger of Sword City, too?
>>
>>54057841
The first guns were made by the Chinese, and in Medieval times were in regular use in Europe. In fact, you can make a small cannon out of a fucking tree, and the first projectiles fired from cannons were rocks.

Try not getting your knowledge about history from Fantasy.
>>
>>54057962
Monty Python isn't a proper source for historical knowledge, Anon.
>>
>>54058204
>Early cannons didn't explode
>Somewhat more refined cannons weren't made by bellmakers out of bronze
>Because medieval steel and cast iron weren't too shit for cannons
>It's all Fantasy drivel, anon, wooden barrel-like cannons are perfectly adequate
>>
>>54057777
>>54058160
>Disease

Less of a problem than you'd think. It really breaks down into three categories: the stuff you're going to defeat with germ theory and basic hygiene, the stuff you're already immune to, and the stuff that will kill you dead. Category 2, ironically, is going to give you the hardest time -- you might have a minor rhinovirus that barely gives you a sniffle, but immune systems from hundreds to thousands of years ago haven't adapted to. The wrong strain of influenza, and you just knocked Typhoid Mary out of the history books. Along with the better part of the population of a continent. Good job. Category 3 is the scariest but least likely unless you're dumped in an active hot zone. Your modern immune system might protect you somewhat. Category 1 will require you to adopt some strange customs; if you happen to be somewhere with Jews that keep kosher or a halal butcher, you're halfway there. Bathe, find a supply of boric acid for fleas, get a cat / small dog for mice and rats, thoroughly cook everything, DON'T DRINK THE FUCKING WATER, don't shit where you eat. You're golden.

>>54057812

I know how to build a crucible furnace, how to refine iron sand into tamahagane, and can bootstrap from a casting smelter to industry. I've got a fair chance of getting a DC genny going within a year or so. I'm moving my ass to somewhere warm and becoming Archimedes 2.0.
>>
The first thing that got me interested in this discussion in the first place was the thought of trying to converse with someone in a generic fantasy setting that's loosely based on medieval Europe. This sounds crazy, but what sort of conversations did people really have back then?

Also, how profound or perverse would modern philosophies and sensibilities be? I was writing some dialogue between main protagonist and someone, and I realized I was about to use a modern saying, and I realized that it would probably sound sort of impressive or crazy, if you were the first one to ever say it.
>>
>>54058487
Try not to be too triggered.
>>
>>54059128
My people have had roughly the same language for centuries, and I read our earliest known book in school. Didn't seem all that different from today. A little bit more open in its gruesome cruelty, maybe. The main character was a murderer and rapist, after all. There was also a bit that pokes fun at the church by implying that a Catholic priest has a wife. In fact, in a play from the Renaissance based on a Roman play, the main character threatens to drill someone's eyes out. With a hand drill, obviously.

A lot of the social mores we see from history tend to be upper class, and idealized upper class, mores at that. There's the famous example of that wall in Pompey that reads as if its texts could have been written yesterday, with the men proclaiming to be bro's and a guy calling a woman he doesn't like a cheap whore.
>>
>>54057841
This guy gets it. Metallurgy is a very exact science. It too a long time for cannon makers to get the hang of making something that you could fire a bunch and not have it turn itself into an IED.
>>
>>54059344
>the fact that early technology was not perfect means it is impossible to do at all

These leaps of logic are completely retarded.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.